Votes: 26 22.6%
  • Cut Sherman, keep Chancellor and Thomas

Votes: 86 74.8%
  • Cut Thomas, keep Chancellor and Sherman

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

HawkWow

Reaction score
No offense to the OP, but "Cut" may not have been the best choice of words for the poll. Move may have been met with less hostility while creating a more liberal dialogue.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Lol at trade talk. When has any team ever traded away the best player at his position while he was 25 or under? Harvin? He demanded a trade and wasn't happy in Minnesota. Even then it was unusual and now the Vikings are a terrible team with a bunch of "pretty good" players and AP. The combo of Harvin/AP got them to 10 wins with almost no help. You don't give up young and elite players and replace them with "good players" like Jennings and Patterson. This applies equally to Earl and Sherman.

TJH

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2289rxqt said:
Lol at trade talk. When has any team ever traded away the best player at his position while he was 25 or under?

Champ Bailey....

DavidSeven

Reaction score
TJH":1ldivbrd said:
DavidSeven":1ldivbrd said:
Lol at trade talk. When has any team ever traded away the best player at his position while he was 25 or under?

Champ Bailey....

Not the best example as that involved an exchange of two elite players (Champ for Clinton Portis) and was largely considered one of the weirdest trades in NFL history. It would be like the Bengals sending us AJ Green for Sherman or Thomas.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":20vxm2ew said:
Lol at trade talk. When has any team ever traded away the best player at his position while he was 25 or under? Harvin? He demanded a trade and wasn't happy in Minnesota. Even then it was unusual and now the Vikings are a terrible team with a bunch of "pretty good" players and AP. The combo of Harvin/AP got them to 10 wins with almost no help. You don't give up young and elite players and replace them with "good players" like Jennings and Patterson. This applies equally to Earl and Sherman.

Your tunnel vision apparently prohibits you from understanding we basically have a shitty O-line yet an abundance of riches at CB. I am only suggesting a way to even that out a bit while improving our run game and protecting the future of the franchise. Football 101 makes you Laugh Out Loud? Really?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkWow":2y7lh8da said:
DavidSeven":2y7lh8da said:

Your tunnel vision apparently prohibits you from understanding we basically have a shitty O-line yet an abundance of riches at CB. I am only suggesting a way to even that out a bit while improving our run game and protecting the future of the franchise. Football 101 makes you Laugh Out Loud? Really?

It does. We had an abundance of riches on our O-line in 2005 and we let a unique and elite player walk away (Hutchinson). We used some of that money later on Burleson (good player) and thought HOF Walter Jones, MVP Alexander, and FB Mack Strong could keep our offense dominant. It was never the same.

Vikings fans thought AP could continue breaking records without Harvin and that the money/picks spent on Jennings/Patterson could make up for Harvin. It will never be the same.

You don't let go of young/unique/elite players. That's roster building 101. Schneider grew up in the Ron Wolf system, and he did it the same way.

I see all this trash-talk of Ruskell and yet I saw all you guys having the exact same mentality as him. Afraid to pay elite players in their prime because you're afraid to give up average players who you've fallen in love with.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":pltstqmm said:
TJH":pltstqmm said:
DavidSeven":pltstqmm said:

Champ Bailey....

Not the best example as that involved an exchange of two elite players (Champ for Clinton Portis) and was largely considered one of the weirdest trades in NFL history. It would be like the Bengals sending us AJ Green for Sherman or Thomas.

..and what would be so weird about that? I ask in all seriousness because I'm totally lost now.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkWow":2p3lf66y said:
DavidSeven":2p3lf66y said:
TJH":2p3lf66y said:
DavidSeven":2p3lf66y said:

Champ Bailey....

..and what would be so weird about that? I ask in all seriousness because I'm totally lost now.

Player-for-player trades are rare in the NFL, unless it involves fringe talent. It never happens with players of that magnitude in a one-for-one deal (though I think one player came with a pick). This ain't the NBA.

In the NFL, known quanitity > unknown quanitity (all things being equal). Players are generally too scheme/system dependent to do these things and have them work out. Good probability of both teams losing a trade in an elite-for-elite situation because the fit might not be right for either. Thus, no one does it except the Redskins.

HawkWow

Reaction score
DavidSeven":224bki10 said:
HawkWow":224bki10 said:
DavidSeven":224bki10 said:

It does. We had an abundance of riches on our O-line in 2005 and we let a unique and elite player walk away (Hutchinson). We used some of that money later on Burleson (good player) and thought HOF Walter Jones, MVP Alexander, and FB Mack Strong could keep our offense dominant. It was never the same.

Vikings fans thought AP could continue breaking records without Harvin and that the money/picks spent on Jennings/Patterson could make up for Harvin. It will never be the same.

You don't let go of young/unique/elite players. That's roster building 101. Schneider grew up in the Ron Wolf system, and he did it the same way.

I see all this trash-talk of Ruskell and yet I saw all you guys having the exact same mentality as him. Afraid to pay elite players in their prime because you're afraid to give up average players who you've fallen in love with.

Wow. I am advocating exactly the opposite of what you suggest. It was losing Hutch / re signing Alexander that killed us. I am basically saying.. bring back Hutch.

At this time, there is nothing more important than preserving Wilson. One of these times Wilson isn't going to get up after being pummeled by Quinn etc. Our current linemen are not getting it done and their injuries and inability to pass block are going to compromise this team.

The prime Deion Sanders is probably historically more significant than Walter Jones but with our current depth at DB, he wouldn't be more important to this team than Walter Jones. I want us to find another Walt or Hutch...that's all I'm saying, and chances are slim we will find him at 32. Where did Pete find Sherman?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkWow":2nehd5ok said:
DavidSeven":2nehd5ok said:
HawkWow":2nehd5ok said:
DavidSeven":2nehd5ok said:

Wow. I am advocating exactly the opposite of what you suggest. It was losing Hutch / re signing Alexander that killed us. I am basically saying.. bring back Hutch.

At this time, there is nothing more important than preserving Wilson. One of these times Wilson isn't going to get up after being pummeled by Quinn etc. Our current linemen are not getting it done and their injuries and inability to pass block are going to compromise this team.

The prime Deion Sanders is probably historically more significant than Walter Jones but with our current depth at DB, he wouldn't be more important to this team than Walter Jones. I want us to find another Walt or Hutch...that's all I'm saying, and chances are slim we will find him at 32. Where did Pete find Sherman?

Alexander was an aging RB that half of Seattle thought was overrated when he got his extension. He doesn't fit my definition of a "special" player. We have a good LT now and I'd love to see them take a monster LG/RG in the late first round. No need to give up an elite player to get that done IMO.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
HawkWow":1i4nuosb said:
Lady Talon":1i4nuosb said:
I pick Kam and Earl. Sherman is what he says he is, the greatest corner in the game, but I'd rather not combine the highest paid safety combo in the League with one of the highest paid corners. Safeties are the enablers in our defense that lets the whole unit play better. Sink around $30m into our secondary and watch our offense struggle to make league par every year after Wilson gets paid (Super Bowl, multiple Pro Bowl, his stats, even a hometown discount will be big).

I love Sherm but I love my Seahawks infinitely more. The team should 1) make sure Sherm isn't picked up by one of our NFC rivals. 2) get some value out of him while we are at the top of the game and need cheap talent. Shop him this year, I'll bet Gus Bradley will take a long hard look at paying Sherm and swapping the #3 pick for our #32. Everyone is happy. #3 pick is in the running for Jadaveon Clowney or Sammy Watkins, or schneider can turn that pick into almost double the picks we have right now and reload through the draft.

Is Maxwell better than Sherman at this point? No, however he is close enough, and usually stuck with the best WR the other team can offer because everyone throws away from Sherm. And no, Earl doesn't cheat towards Maxwell, he cheated towards Browner because everyone knew his coverage skills sucked. Maxwell's play made our already #1 pass defense better to the point of best of all time comparisons. He isn't some scrub.

You are to this board what Earl is to our secondary. I appreciate your willingness to blaze your own path. It's refreshing.

At the risk of provoking further aghast, I wonder just what Sherm's trade value really would be right now (?).

Nah I take no credit, I'm not any Earl or any smarter than other posters. Nor do I know if such a trade is feasible, or if PC/JS would take it if it was. If something along those lines did take place, I was merely pointing out we would have nearly the pick of the litter in the draft. Who we'd pick doesn't bother me, it's how you view priorities and (hopefully) an instant sensation WR at Wilson's disposal to make DC's sweat and help the auto interior blitzing that has creamed Wilson not to mention foiled Lynch on many occasions to cease. Maybe a better OLman can make a difference but being able to single cover our WRs and pin their ears back blitzing didn't help IMO. Or JS can trade the pick off for a whole bunch of later round picks and they can work the late round magic.

Pete Carroll will always field a good secondary. He's known for it, he's broken barriers with his work, even prior to this season, so let's not assume that Carroll suddenly can't get along without Richard Sherman and can't turn decent players into high level contributors. Sherman himself said he isn't even MVP of this defense, ET is.

Not giving RW enough offensive power to lead us into another Superbowl is a far larger mistake then losing our all world best in the NFL corner.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Okay, I've devoted way too much time to this thread. I'll bump after ET and Sherm's extensions this off-season!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I agree that priority one is upgrading the OL and FAST. Priority two is...can we PLEASE get a big receiver with speed. Given Earl and Richard aren't going anywhere.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
WE can keep Chancellor and Thomas for the price of Sherman. All three are amazing but I fell like Thomas is irreplaceable, Chancellor sets the tone Physically, and Sherman emotionally.

PC has a knack for finding great secondary players, we have seen Sherm, Browner, Maxwell, WT3, Lane all play well but we only really know Thomas and Kam.

Having Maxwell, WT3, and Lane as the starters for about $4mil per we would get great results if we can still maintain a great pass rush.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2c0ly5ry said:

Just corners. hmmm... Sherm will be 26 in March, so the 25 or under doesn't exactly apply here.

Deion Sanders was traded at 26, the Falcons acheived their only Superbowl visit 5 years later. Crushing blow.

New England traded Asante Samuel at 26 in 2007. Foolish Belichek never sniffed another Superbowl.