Who ya looking to get at the trade deadline?

sutz

Reaction score
OK, I'll admit that I don't follow the rest of the league in baseball. It's all I can do keeping up with the Mariners.

I'm hearing a lot of chatter about how "we need to add a bat, maybe two" this year. I'm not going to argue against that, we do have some holes in our batting order that could definitely stand being beefed up.

So that's the question. Who around the league do you think is available to us, and how much do we need to give up to get them? It's the midsummer break. No games until next Friday. Got some ideas? Please share.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
No one will want any of our hitters, It'll have to come through pitching, like I mentioned before, It'll probably be Gilbert.. Kirby is off the table, Castillo is newly signed.. It certainly would be nice to get a 2B.

balakoth

Reaction score
St. Louis Cardinals are hungry for pitching....give them one of Gilbert, Miller, or Woo and either Matt Brash/Justin Topa for Brendan Donovan (2B). https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/donovbr01.shtml
That is a TON to give up for.. a second baseman holy moly I was ok before you said.. AND

Maybe Miller and Brash? plus minor league considerations, since hancock is probably coming soon if we had to go that route? but not G ilbert IMO

Bobblehead

Reaction score
That is a TON to give up for.. a second baseman holy moly I was ok before you said.. AND

Maybe Miller and Brash? plus minor league considerations, since hancock is probably coming soon if we had to go that route? but not G ilbert IMO
I read that, they want Kirby, I think it stalled at that point.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Our starting pitching is set for several years. As much as this front office messes up, and they do a lot........they have been $ on starting pitching thru the draft.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Kirby is off the table period-Dipito has already stated that.
I think if anyone gets traded it's going to be Dollard/Hancock or Miller.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

I not advocating trading all for a second basemen just two players for Brendan Donovan. Sorry for the confusion if that wasn't clear. No, I don't want Gilbert to be traded but Brendan Donovan is not going to come cheap. If Robbie Ray was healthy, I'd probably advocate for him to be traded straight up for Brendan Donovan. Then M's could keep the young stable of pitchers intact.

NoGain

Reaction score
It's kind of frustrating talking about trading young talent for bats at the deadline when we could have just spent money to get more bat this past off season.

But I digress. Hard no on trading Kirby or Gilbert. I've seen enough of them to bet on them being quality rotational starters for the coming years. Why subtract from the top of our rotation? I know pitching is where our depth lies, but I'm not for trading those I have the most confidence in for a stretch run at a lower seed playoff spot. Besides, if we do squeak into the playoffs, the thing that's going to give us a fighting chance to advance is going to come from our top three starters first and foremost, it seems to me.

I just don't know who of the rest of our young pitching talent might yield us the bat(s) we might need for a stretch run, or who we might end up most regretting we traded in the future? This leads me to believe that any potential trade partner is going to come from a team wanting to trade a salaried vet for young pitching talent.

Like another poster said, I just don't know enough about the rest of the league in regards to what teams and talent would make for a potential trade partner. I also don't know how much salary ownership would be willing to take on in a trade.

I guess I'll just sit back and watch.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We honestly don't have a lot to give up. Not sure we can really afford to give up a starting pitcher. I think the best course of action is find a guy with a one or two year contract on a struggling team. We would basically have to take on the contract.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Instead of getting new players, how about our existing players put in the work to get better at batting? Is it really impossible for them to learn how to not swing at pitches that hit the dirt?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Instead of getting new players, how about our existing players put in the work to get better at batting? Is it really impossible for them to learn how to not swing at pitches that hit the dirt?
It may be they are hitting their best in average..I see a lot articles stating .230 is a good hitter.
I'm like since when?
I hate it that it's accepted by newer fans who justify it with weird formulas then the player(s) have
no reason to hit better because some metric says they are great.

bileever

Reaction score
The teams that are selling are mainly wanting to trade starting pitchers. The bats that are available don't really fit our needs. No one has a great middle infielder bat they want to trade. Does it make sense to trade for Justin Turner or Jeimer Candelario? And move Suarez to DH? Or put them at DH instead of Ford? I don't see that making any kind of sense. Plus you're giving up a lot to get any decent player at this stage--it's desperation trading.

Here is the MLB Trade Rumors list of the top 50 trade deadline candidates:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The teams that are selling are mainly wanting to trade starting pitchers. The bats that are available don't really fit our needs. No one has a great middle infielder bat they want to trade. Does it make sense to trade for Justin Turner or Jeimer Candelario? And move Suarez to DH? Or put them at DH instead of Ford? I don't see that making any kind of sense. Plus you're giving up a lot to get any decent player at this stage--it's desperation trading.

Here is the MLB Trade Rumors list of the top 50 trade deadline candidates:

I can't disagree with any of your points. Great post.

beastalamode

Reaction score
It's kind of frustrating talking about trading young talent for bats at the deadline when we could have just spent money to get more bat this past off season.

But I digress. Hard no on trading Kirby or Gilbert. I've seen enough of them to bet on them being quality rotational starters for the coming years. Why subtract from the top of our rotation? I know pitching is where our depth lies, but I'm not for trading those I have the most confidence in for a stretch run at a lower seed playoff spot. Besides, if we do squeak into the playoffs, the thing that's going to give us a fighting chance to advance is going to come from our top three starters first and foremost, it seems to me.

I just don't know who of the rest of our young pitching talent might yield us the bat(s) we might need for a stretch run, or who we might end up most regretting we traded in the future? This leads me to believe that any potential trade partner is going to come from a team wanting to trade a salaried vet for young pitching talent.

Like another poster said, I just don't know enough about the rest of the league in regards to what teams and talent would make for a potential trade partner. I also don't know how much salary ownership would be willing to take on in a trade.

I guess I'll just sit back and watch.
I agree. Why give up talent at the deadline when you can just buy it in the offseason? Ugh I hate Stanton

Crizilla

Reaction score
Didn't feel like making a new thread but Ms just lost their pitching coordinator Max Weiner to Texas A&M. The 28 year old left a MLB club to go to a college club. Hmm.