Womens World Cup

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":j8j9y1sy said:
peachesenregalia":j8j9y1sy said:
Women's soccer is objectively awful to watch. Which is why hardly anyone watches it. Which is why they (correctly) don't get paid as much as men.

I know you're a troll, but the women's World Cup matches have had higher ratings than the men's for a while now, and the final yesterday had higher ratings than the men's final two years ago.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... gs-1222814

And if you're referring to soccer ratings in general for MLS and EPL matches broadcast in the US, there's nothing to brag about there either, it's bad all the way around.

But I know, you're just here to troll until you get blacklisted again. God speed.

EPL ratings are through the roof..

And while the message is abrasive, there is a certain level of truth.

If yesterday was the mens final the nation would've been at a stop for the match

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22hy7vd4 said:
Sgt. Largent":22hy7vd4 said:
peachesenregalia":22hy7vd4 said:
Women's soccer is objectively awful to watch. Which is why hardly anyone watches it. Which is why they (correctly) don't get paid as much as men.

I know you're a troll, but the women's World Cup matches have had higher ratings than the men's for a while now, and the final yesterday had higher ratings than the men's final two years ago.

And if you're referring to soccer ratings in general for MLS and EPL matches broadcast in the US, there's nothing to brag about there either, it's bad all the way around.

But I know, you're just here to troll until you get blacklisted again. God speed.

If yesterday was the mens final the nation would've been at a stop for the match

What's abrasive is calling women's soccer objectively awful to watch. It tells me peaches 1. hasn't watched the US women play and 2. knows nothing about the sport.

I understand the revenue disparity. The men's world cup earned something like 8 billion over it's four year cycle, the women's world cup earned 115 million.

Doesn't mean the US women's team shouldn't earn as much as the men's, as THAT is chopped up by TV ad revenue, as I pointed out the women get higher ratings then the men.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xxlw91o said:
Uncle Si":2xxlw91o said:
Sgt. Largent":2xxlw91o said:
peachesenregalia":2xxlw91o said:

What's abrasive is calling women's soccer objectively awful to watch. It tells me peaches 1. hasn't watched the US women play and 2. knows nothing about the sport.

I understand the revenue disparity. The men's world cup earned something like 8 billion over it's four year cycle, the women's world cup earned 115 million.

Doesn't mean the US women's team shouldn't earn as much as the men's, as THAT is chopped up by TV ad revenue, as I pointed out the women get higher ratings then the men.

I agree they should make as much, but if the Men were equally successful there would be no conversation here.

That is because many people don't find the women's game as entertaining.

Chapow

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1zpmede2 said:
OKC Thunder basketball is objectively awful to watch. Which is why hardly anyone watches it.

FIFY

Now it's actually a true statement.

You're welcome.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ojfs7xr said:
Sgt. Largent":3ojfs7xr said:
peachesenregalia":3ojfs7xr said:

For the Super Bowl yes, for a Soccer game that wasn't an Olympic event no. The Nation doesn't stop for the NBA finals, or the World Series which used to lock up the Network it was on and bring in huge ratings.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":2q23ilhj said:
Uncle Si":2q23ilhj said:
Sgt. Largent":2q23ilhj said:
peachesenregalia":2q23ilhj said:

For the Super Bowl yes, for a Soccer game that wasn't an Olympic event no. The Nation doesn't stop for the NBA finals, or the World Series which used to lock up the Network it was on and bring in huge ratings.

Fair enough... the soccer world in this nation would stop and the ratings would rival the super bowl. The world cup final ratings in this country already do and that's with the us team long out of it.

I don't think people appreciate how many soccer fans there are here because they associate too closely with the mls

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3mskoiue said:
chris98251":3mskoiue said:
Uncle Si":3mskoiue said:
Sgt. Largent":3mskoiue said:

Fair enough... the soccer world in this nation would stop and the ratings would rival the super bowl. The world cup final ratings in this country already do and that's with the us team long out of it.

I don't think people appreciate how many soccer fans there are here because they associate too closely with the mls

I think it has a lot to do with split allegiance and the interest due to that. Example being a World Series with the Red Sox and Yankees versus one with the Nationals and Rangers on a smaller scale and not world wide. The melting pot here for interest in teams outside the US is huge and not as much internal. Casual Fans tune in to high profile World Series and NBA Championships such as Lakers Celtics as an example. The casual person doesn't understand the game of Soccer as much and the teams as well how they are assembled etc.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2q1679wn said:
I agree they should make as much, but if the Men were equally successful there would be no conversation here.

IMO we need to stop comparing men's and women's sports, it's a little misogynistic. Why do we do that? Why can't we just enjoy each sport on it's own merits and levels of skill and excitement.

Do you guys go to AAA baseball games or junior league hockey and yell "MAN THESE KIDS SUCK, THEY'RE NOT AS GOOD AS THE PROS, THIS IS UNWATCHABLE!!"

No, you enjoy the talent level for what it is.............an enjoyable sporting event with plenty of skill, competition and effort by the athletes taking part.

And anyone watching our women's national team play soccer cannot possibly tell me they don't perform at an extremely high skill level. For their sport, the highest skill level in the history.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":226g1z2c said:
Uncle Si":226g1z2c said:

IMO we need to stop comparing men's and women's sports, it's a little misogynistic. Why do we do that? Why can't we just enjoy each sport on it's own merits and levels of skill and excitement.

Do you guys go to AAA baseball games or junior league hockey and yell "MAN THESE KIDS SUCK, THEY'RE NOT AS GOOD AS THE PROS, THIS IS UNWATCHABLE!!"

No, you enjoy the talent level for what it is.............and enjoyable sporting event with plenty of skill, competition and effort by the athletes taking part.

And anyone watching our women's national team play soccer cannot possibly tell me they don't perform at an extremely high skill level. For their sport, the highest skill level in the history.

I watched the games and outside of a few frustrating moments where it felt stagnant, I was impressed and entertained.

However, while you and I agree on this, to peaches point the rest of the soccer viewing population is still tepid to it

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1l6ydkad said:
Sgt. Largent":1l6ydkad said:

Right, for women.

You put them up against a men's team and they'd get hammered 25-0.

Nobody is arguing that because it's not the point

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":ftefeeg6 said:
It's absolutely the point. It's the same reason no-one watches the WNBA. It's a shit product because women are inferior athletes to men in almost every conceivable way. That's not sexist, it's a fact. People watch pro sports because they want to see the best of the best compete against each other. There are several sports where women excel - Tennis, Volleyball, synchronized swimming, etc. The sports where they are clearly inferior to men will always see them paid less because they are watched less overall.

The fact they would lose to a men's team is not the point. If you think the product is worse because they are athletically inferior then that's different, and probably closer to how many casual fans approach women's sports

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":12nqcrbd said:
It's absolutely the point. It's the same reason no-one watches the WNBA. It's a shit product because women are inferior athletes to men in almost every conceivable way. That's not sexist, it's a fact. People watch pro sports because they want to see the best of the best compete against each other. There are several sports where women excel - Tennis, Volleyball, synchronized swimming, etc. The sports where they are clearly inferior to men will always see them paid less because they are watched less overall.

It's the same for all these women's sports, the #1 woman in the world in tennis would get smoked by the #100 man.

Why can't you just enjoy, or don't enjoy the competition for what it is, in every sport, men's or women's. Why do you have to compare?

To say it's a terrible product is just flat out wrong. I, and millions of other people around the world very much enjoyed watching the women's World Cup, as the ratings and attendance in France prove out.

It's a great event, and France did an incredible job putting it on. Skill was had, competition was had, highs, lows, drama, everything you want in watching a sporting event.

To say it sucks cause it's not as good as the men's is just being a close minded sports fan.

I hear this same crap when arguing about MLS with Euro soccer snobs. Stop comparing, we know it's not the same, doesn't make it unwatchable or unenjoyable. Plenty of skill to go around.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":5q92x5w0 said:
Sgt. Largent":5q92x5w0 said:
peachesenregalia":5q92x5w0 said:

It's the same for all these women's sports, the #1 woman in the world in tennis would get smoked by the #100 man.

Why can't you just enjoy, or don't enjoy the competition for what it is, in every sport, men's or women's. Why do you have to compare?

To say it's a terrible product is just flat out wrong. I, and millions of other people around the world very much enjoyed watching the women's World Cup, as the ratings and attendance in France prove out.

It's a great event, and France did an incredible job putting it on. Skill was had, competition was had, highs, lows, drama, everything you want in watching a sporting event.

To say it sucks cause it's not as good as the men's is just being a close minded sports fan.

I hear this same crap when arguing about MLS with Euro soccer snobs. Stop comparing, we know it's not the same, doesn't make it unwatchable or unenjoyable. Plenty of skill to go around.

Literally every match was in a half-empty stadium, including the final.

And MLS is objectively unwatchable. This has been discussed and agreed-upon many times in this very forum already, nop need to re-hash it again.

By you, cause you're a close minded sports fan. Plenty of people enjoy MLS, and women's soccer..........and minor league baseball, and the WNBA, and college sports, and youth sports. On and on.

Half empty final? 57,000 in attendance, the stadium only holds 59,000.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2oit8p6d said:
Sgt. Largent":2oit8p6d said:
peachesenregalia":2oit8p6d said:
Sgt. Largent":2oit8p6d said:

Literally every match was in a half-empty stadium, including the final.

And MLS is objectively unwatchable. This has been discussed and agreed-upon many times in this very forum already, nop need to re-hash it again.

By you, cause you're a close minded sports fan. Plenty of people enjoy MLS, and women's soccer..........and minor league baseball, and the WNBA, and college sports, and youth sports. On and on.

Half empty final? 57,000 in attendance, the stadium only holds 59,000.

Couldn't even fill a small stadium with their FINAL. Anywhere in the world, if that was a men's final, they'd fill a 100k seater easily. League matches fill 60-70k seater stadiums every week in most leagues. Except for Man City.

Wait, I thought it was half empty. You're bad at math.

You must be fun during the Olympics at home. While everyone's enjoying watching our athletes make our country proud as they compete against the world for medals...........you're the one on the couch yelling "OMG SHE SUCKS, SHE COULD NEVER MAKE THE MEN'S SWIM TEAM!!, TURN IT BACK TO BARNEY MILLER RERUNS!"

Tical21

Reaction score
Si, you’re gonna have to show us something on this. The women’s final got much higher tv ratings in the US than the men’s final did, and the listed tv ratings for epl are minuscule. I don’t believe any epl game has achieved 2 million viewers.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3vlx9m0q said:
There is one sport where a handful of women have competed with and defeated men. Horse racing(jockeys). Rosie Napravnik is amazing. She quit riding to start a family but I think she will come back soon.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Napravnik

kobebryant

Reaction score
How does a thread about the United States winning the World Cup get derailed to this extent ? Lol! do not feed the trolls, they have nothing better to do.

Kudos to the women for doing the country proud!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":2hngachw said:
Si, you’re gonna have to show us something on this. The women’s final got much higher tv ratings in the US than the men’s final did, and the listed tv ratings for epl are minuscule. I don’t believe any epl game has achieved 2 million viewers.

Chelsea-united before Patriots/Eagles super bowl had 12 million American viewers.

The Mens World cup final has 1.2 billion viewers, including almost 35 million in this country, where the national team wasn't in the tournament.

These are easy to find data points.

Point to remember, most soccer is viewed as streams in apps,, so traditional Nielsen style ratings dont mean much

Latest posts