Would You Rather Have?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The Beast Quake upset win over Saints or a 6-10 record in 2010?

In 2011 Draft, 7 teams the year prior had a 6-10 record and picked from 7-13th.

Assuming we'd want to miss out on Jack Locker, and we wouldn't have been interested in Gabbert or Ponder, I would put the Seahawks from pick 11th to 14th. Rams would pick 14th but they would have made the playoffs at 8-8.

So from 11th to 14th Seahawks would have the choice of DL JJ Watt, DT Nick Fairley, or DE Robert Quinn. (or Christian Ponder).

To make it much more simple, lets just say the Seahawks took Houston's slot and took J.J. Watt with that pick.

In Round 2, Houston picked Brooks Reed, but if the Seahawks didn't like Brooks Reed they could have most likely found James Carpenter sitting there still but also TEs Kyle Rudolph and Lance Kendrick. But we'll just play along and still say they drafted Carpenter.

In reality land, Seahawks traded their 2nd round pick plus a 5th and a 7th for Lion's 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 7th round picks .

Seahawks drafted John Moffitt, Kris Durham, Richard Sherman at 154, and Pep Levingston with those picks.

In take back the clock fantasy land, without that trade Seahawks and taking over Houston's slot, hypothetically, the Seahawks draft could still look similar to 2011 but with Watt.

11th: J.J. Watt
42nd: James Carpenter
99th: K.J. Wright
138th: Richard Sherman
157th: Byron Maxwell

with the 178th pick and 214th pick the rest of the way.

During the 2011 season, No Moffit, maybe meant that Paul McQuistan would be starting at RG, so possibly when Gallery went down, and Carpenter struggling at RT, they just move him over to LG thus preventing Carpenter's injury in the process. And giving Giacomini a head-start at RT.

Even with Watt, who I would play at 3 Tech, btw, I would still re-sign Bryant after 2011. However, this team wouldn't have needed to spend the 20 million that they did over the last 3 years on Branch, Jones, Bennett, and McDaniel.

I think 2012 draft would fairly stay the same, but if Clemons/Watt is providing 25-30 sacks assuming Clemons would be better with Watt next to him. Then maybe Bruce Irvin isn't a necessity, so replace him with a trade down still but for OG David DeCastro. DeCastro never goes to Pittsburgh suffering that injury. With DeCastro lasting to the 24th pick, Seahawks 2011 Record could still be a little better and chances are we'd still could get him.

Seahawks 2013 draft most likely would include more LBers but I doubt the team would change much more than that.

Seahawks D-Line would be so bad ass. Seahawks O-line could be Okung, healthy in-shape Carpenter, Unger, healthy DeCastro, and Giacomini.

Its crazy looking back how much of difference it made by winning 2 games in 2010, STL, week 17, and NO, in the playoffs. But thinking about the possibilities of what could be, I'm still not sure if I would trade all of that for the Beast Quake run. It was an epic moment not only in Seahawks lore but in NFL history.

Beast Quake or J.J. Watt, what say you 12s?

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Beast Quake was the only bright spot in a terrible year for me, so I would take that moment over any player. I haven't been that excited ever over any football game, or anything on T.V. That moment is almost priceless to me, so its a easy choice for me.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I don't think I could trade Beast Quake. That was the greatest thing I have ever witnessed in sports, period.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Beast Quake, you can't paint an alternate to that, that would be more appealing.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I get where you're coming from, but you can't choose to delete the greatest playoff run in history from one of the biggest upsets in NFL history from the past.

pehawk

Reaction score
Beast Quake. I hated this argument, it made me embarrassed to call you guys my "brothers in fanaticism". When you're changing a culture, you don't tank. Period, end of story.

firebee

Reaction score
BEASTQUAKE!!! Especially since I was on the gameday forum blathering something or another about us needing to run the ball behind the left side of our line right before the play was called. Ask and you shall receive.

Kooshster

Reaction score
Beastquake. It turned my wife into a Seahawks fan for life.

That's better than any player.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A playoff win over the World Champs. Yes, I'll go ahead and keep that memory of that night. Sitting in the stands, and having the Beast Quake run go towards where I sit. Wouldn't change it one bit.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Haha...this is quite the alternate universe and considering our OL would still be underperforming with Carpenter and DeCastro (who has been pretty poor), I wouldn't trade it for Beast Quake.

If you could guarantee JJ Watt...that's a tough one to turn down. Yikes.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I said this after that season: Beastquake alone made a worse draft position totally worth it.

That is the best run in Seahawks history. You never know how the draft would have played out if the Seahawks had been in a different position.

But we'll always have that run to watch over and over and over.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Seahawks with JJ Watt and Sherman on the same team just wouldn't be fair.

But as much as people worship sports heroes, they cherish moments.

So yeah, BeastQuake will endure long after many people have forgotten about the players themselves.

There is an artist on this board who does paintings of players, phenomenal even incredible work. I keep wanting him to capture moments from key games instead of just capturing the players. When you are reminded of a moment, some of the emotions that rushed through you that moment pour back into you. That is why people crystallize moments like "The Catch" or the "Immaculate Reception" or even something like the "Music City Miracle". Art that conveys emotions "hook" people more than almost anything else - and moments filled with emotion are an incredible reservoir to tap.

Then again, that moment also gave our staff the clear evidence we were on the right track, maybe we missed out on an awesome pick but there is a very real chance that without that moment we might not have become the near-dominant type of team the Seahawks are today.

Honestly, I remember going to that game thinking we had no chance and then I remember spending the next 2 days doing nothing but watching replays of that play or reading articles about reactions to that play (instead of working). I was on cloud 9 for near a week. Not sure if I would trade away one of my most cherished Seahawk experiences for even a better team.

I don't remember being that affected by anything even the year we went to the SuperBowl. I think that play will just grow as a Seahawk legend.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Now I have to go back and watch Beast Quake again. Haven't watched it for quite awhile.

Latest posts