Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Report: Hawks have inquired about LT Duane Brown

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

  • I said a straight up Michael Bennett for Duane Brown trade but that went down the toilet due to Bennetts Planter Fascia injury.
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    Jim Harbaugh to Seattle 2018!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1512
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:40 am
    Location: Washington DC


  • "He was one of only two offensive tackles in 2016 with more than 400 pass-blocking snaps and only 1 sack allowed (Donald Penn was the other)."

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... ct-upgrade

    Sign me up. Russell's blindspot will be protected.
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    Jim Harbaugh to Seattle 2018!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1512
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:40 am
    Location: Washington DC


  • How the heck could we make it work from a cap perspective?
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3757
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • Didn't he hold out too?
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

    http://ivotuk.com/
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16436
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:How the heck could we make it work from a cap perspective?


    By who they trade for him.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3167
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • I think Jimmy Graham for him would be enough. With a young QB, they're going to want to help him out. They need D-Line help obviously, but I think Graham would be enough to pry him away from Houston. I'd be content with Willson, Vannett, and calling up Swoopes from the practice squad.
    User avatar
    Pie Romania
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 291
    Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:35 pm
    Location: Washington State


  • Make it happen somehow please
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 338
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • Even if we got him, I have a feeling his career would turn to ship here in Seattle, under Tom Cable and his worthless schemes.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1628
    Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:36 am


  • nategreat wrote:Even if we got him, I have a feeling his career would turn to ship here in Seattle, under Tom Cable and his worthless schemes.


    This is a good point. Does Duane Brown have experience playing in ZBS? Just because he's an all-pro doesn't mean much. That didn't help Jahri Evans. Is he a fit for the system that Cable runs is the important factor.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6778
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Trading Lane and keeping Jimmy is probably wishful thinking on my part.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 396
    Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:42 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC


  • ludakrishna wrote:I said a straight up Michael Bennett for Duane Brown trade but that went down the toilet due to Bennetts Planter Fascia injury.

    Bennet is a pure 4-3 DE Houston uns a 3-4 scheme.
    tersal
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 31
    Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 3:30 pm


  • We would trade for him and he would get injured.
    P-Rich fo life
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3252
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    nategreat wrote:Even if we got him, I have a feeling his career would turn to ship here in Seattle, under Tom Cable and his worthless schemes.


    This is a good point. Does Duane Brown have experience playing in ZBS? Just because he's an all-pro doesn't mean much. That didn't help Jahri Evans. Is he a fit for the system that Cable runs is the important factor.


    Absolutely. He's spent most (if not all) of his career in a zone blocking scheme.
    User avatar
    Pie Romania
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 291
    Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:35 pm
    Location: Washington State


  • Even if we traded for him your still gonna have to give him a new contract for more money. I doubt he would end his hold out for a new team he has no ties to. Jimmy Grahamn is the only name that would make sense to me.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2176
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • I guarantee it would be Jimmy going the other way. They need a te badly. Watson and Graham would be a deadly combo. He is no way in he'll resigning here anyway.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    User avatar
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4974
    Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:20 am
    Location: BC Canada


  • Brown and Houstons 3rd rounder for Graham
    or
    Brown for Lane and a 4th
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3097
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Pretty much what everyone said. If it happens, jimmy will be involved.
    Image
    User avatar
    RussB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2351
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 pm
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • IT's easy, Texas just lost JJ Watt.. hmmmm.. give them Sheldon.. both are 1 year deals anyway.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1994
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


  • Bobblehead wrote:IT's easy, Texas just lost JJ Watt.. hmmmm.. give them Sheldon.. both are 1 year deals anyway.


    Sheldon is far more likely to be a centerpiece for this defense for years to come, not a piece we trade away after 5 games - of which the 5th game was his most impressive of the season.

    Not gonna happen. If we had McDowell and a healthy Bennett I'd say it's in the realm of "possibly," but we likely wouldn't have Richardson at all if McDowell was healthy and had showed some promise during preseason.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1520
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:IT's easy, Texas just lost JJ Watt.. hmmmm.. give them Sheldon.. both are 1 year deals anyway.


    Sheldon is far more likely to be a centerpiece for this defense for years to come, not a piece we trade away after 5 games - of which the 5th game was his most impressive of the season.

    Not gonna happen. If we had McDowell and a healthy Bennett I'd say it's in the realm of "possibly," but we likely wouldn't have Richardson at all if McDowell was healthy and had showed some promise during preseason.


    Won't happen, SHeldon will probably be looking for Suh type contract and as John Clayton said, Seahawks will not make him the 2nd highest paid player on the Hawks..

    I really think, the defense is good enough without him and a good LT will far exceed what Sheldon can bring to the table.. Sheez, all he's done really is recovered a fumble right?
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1994
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


  • Bobblehead wrote:Won't happen, SHeldon will probably be looking for Suh type contract and as John Clayton said, Seahawks will not make him the 2nd highest paid player on the Hawks..

    I really think, the defense is good enough without him and a good LT will far exceed what Sheldon can bring to the table.. Sheez, all he's done really is recovered a fumble right?


    Also picked that tipped screen pass, which was a fantastic play. He's been a rock against the run and has been improving as an interior pass rusher in our screen. Worth a lot to us, especially since he's really young.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 888
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • adeltaY wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Won't happen, SHeldon will probably be looking for Suh type contract and as John Clayton said, Seahawks will not make him the 2nd highest paid player on the Hawks..

    I really think, the defense is good enough without him and a good LT will far exceed what Sheldon can bring to the table.. Sheez, all he's done really is recovered a fumble right?


    Also picked that tipped screen pass, which was a fantastic play. He's been a rock against the run and has been improving as an interior pass rusher in our screen. Worth a lot to us, especially since he's really young.




    I"m just saying, we have an elite defense right now, without Sheldon, we still have an elite defense, one of the best in the league in fact. A good offense with a decent OL for many a reason, will more than make up for what we would lose in Sheldon.

    Lets face it, with our OL, with Sheldon on the defense, I don't see us being a real challenger to the SB, however, with a good OL and offense that can stay on the field and with a defense minus Sheldon, I think we are a SB contender.
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1994
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


  • Bobblehead wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:Won't happen, SHeldon will probably be looking for Suh type contract and as John Clayton said, Seahawks will not make him the 2nd highest paid player on the Hawks..

    I really think, the defense is good enough without him and a good LT will far exceed what Sheldon can bring to the table.. Sheez, all he's done really is recovered a fumble right?


    Also picked that tipped screen pass, which was a fantastic play. He's been a rock against the run and has been improving as an interior pass rusher in our screen. Worth a lot to us, especially since he's really young.




    I"m just saying, we have an elite defense right now, without Sheldon, we still have an elite defense, one of the best in the league in fact. A good offense with a decent OL for many a reason, will more than make up for what we would lose in Sheldon.

    Lets face it, with our OL, with Sheldon on the defense, I don't see us being a real challenger to the SB, however, with a good OL and offense that can stay on the field and with a defense minus Sheldon, I think we are a SB contender.


    With no Avril possibly a injured Bennett who could become week to week then give up Sheldon, I don't think we get any pressure and lose inside push and run stoppage ability as well.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 22463
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I think that the Seahawk Front Office is just "putting their finger in the air" to check the wind direction to evaluate their options.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6903
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm
    Location: Puyallup, WA USA


  • As noted the key is what do you do with him long term.

    One thing to get rid of Kearse and some pick for a one year rental of Sheldon. Another to trade significant for someone that either sits out this season or next.

    He needs to come with an agreed upon four year deal. Then you can assume two years playing minimum and it is worth it
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6834
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Pie Romania wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    nategreat wrote:Even if we got him, I have a feeling his career would turn to ship here in Seattle, under Tom Cable and his worthless schemes.


    This is a good point. Does Duane Brown have experience playing in ZBS? Just because he's an all-pro doesn't mean much. That didn't help Jahri Evans. Is he a fit for the system that Cable runs is the important factor.


    Absolutely. He's spent most (if not all) of his career in a zone blocking scheme.


    Yeah, he spent his first 2 years under Alex Gibbs "godfather of the zone blocking scheme" who was supposed to take over our offensive line before he suddenly retired before Pete's first season...then we got stuck with Cable :cry: If only...
    Meeker
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 424
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:33 pm


  • No way they trade Jimmy. No way in hell.

    It will have to be Lane and draft capital.
    Image
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    User avatar
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2354
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:No way they trade Jimmy. No way in hell.

    It will have to be Lane and draft capital.


    That's exactly what it'll be IMO.

    Lane and a 3rd, maybe a 6th as well.
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • Don't Lane and Burley play the same position?
    Image
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    User avatar
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 3703
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:09 pm
    Location: Kitsap County


  • KitsapGuy wrote:Don't Lane and Burley play the same position?


    Burley is strictly a slot guy IIRC, Lane can play all over.

    Not 100% of Burley being slot, but I'm fairly sure he is.
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:No way they trade Jimmy. No way in hell.


    Graham wont be here next year anyways with that contract so it makes perfect sense. Nobody wants Lane.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 338
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • They can turn some salaries in to bonuses to free up space - guys like Earl and KJ would be candidates for that, and we could do the same for Brown. We'd save a few million by trading Lane as well (I think). Also, we'd only have to pay for 10-11 games of Brown, not his full salary.

    I think we can get it done without trading Graham or Richardson. If we expect to be contenders this year we need to keep both of those guys. Adding Brown (and moving Odhiambo over to LG to replace Joeckel while he recovers) could be a big boost to the OL. If we can get him signed our window opens wider for the next couple years, and also give Fant time to gain some technique and experience (as well as regain full health). Our situation at LT would be pretty damn good.

    Curious what the draft pick compensation would be (guessing a #2) but I'm pretty gung ho on this deal.

    Side question - if we lose both Graham and Richardson to FA does that score us two 3rd round picks in 2019?
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 890
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 pm


  • A-Dog wrote:Side question - if we lose both Graham and Richardson to FA does that score us two 3rd round picks in 2019?


    Not guaranteed but very likely.
    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 791
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • For a damn good O Lineman, please make it happen.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6883
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I have never been in the trade Graham for Oline camp before, but I'm there now. Was listening to Greg Bell on KJR and he mentioned the number of hits RW has taken and is on pace to have more hits than last years bad oline. We don't use Graham well, and honestly don't need him. Trade Jimmy.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2857
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


  • But not to a team we play next home game.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6883
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:No way they trade Jimmy. No way in hell.


    Graham wont be here next year anyways with that contract so it makes perfect sense. Nobody wants Lane.


    I don't think they get rid of Graham. As much as the offense as struggled, for all we know they could struggle worse
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 362
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:No way they trade Jimmy. No way in hell.


    Graham wont be here next year anyways with that contract so it makes perfect sense. Nobody wants Lane.


    I don't think they get rid of Graham. As much as the offense as struggled, for all we know they could struggle worse


    Graham is part of the problem with the offense. That was proven in 2015 when he was out and the offense surged and took off. Having to get him so many targets is too much for our coordinator to have to think about, and he is poor at using TE's going clear back to Miller. We have always been a spread the ball around offense and he doesn't fit that. Add in his poor blocking and clearly we are not getting enough value to keep him at $10M per year.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3167
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • There wasn't a single person on here saying our offense was good enough before Jimmy, nor our defense was good enough before Sheldon. These are Pro Bowl players who are being undervalued because people want to find trade bait for a left tackle. I agree with the need for a left tackle. I don't believe it outweights Sheldon's position (it doesn't; they're both crucial), and I don't believe trading away our most productive tall target will help protect Wilson from coverage sacks (it won't).

    Also, there's practically nothing to this rumor at the moment. It's a Denver-based talking head doing speculation on Twitter. It might happen, but the guy isn't claiming any sources.

    Seriously...with Malik's status up in the air, Avril and Bennett aging, and Houston having just lost a top-caliber player at DT, how could people be undervaluing Sheldon now? These mental gymnastics don't work.
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16191
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:There wasn't a single person on here saying our offense was good enough before Jimmy


    Ya, and there still isn't a single person saying our offense is good enough with or without Jimmy. What is your point?

    You are as good as your weakest link. I wonder where that may be?
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3167
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:No way they trade Jimmy. No way in hell.


    Graham wont be here next year anyways with that contract so it makes perfect sense. Nobody wants Lane.


    I don't think they get rid of Graham. As much as the offense as struggled, for all we know they could struggle worse


    Graham is part of the problem with the offense. That was proven in 2015 when he was out and the offense surged and took off.


    Exactly.
    User avatar
    pittpnthrs
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 338
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 10:19 am


  • Agreed, Montana. Glad someone's got a clear head. Let's not start falling all over ourselves to ship off key contributors so that we can get a LT that we may not need and that we definitely can't afford.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion...man." - The Dude
    User avatar
    CHawkTailGator
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 844
    Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:18 pm


  • CHawkTailGator wrote:Agreed, Montana. Glad someone's got a clear head. Let's not start falling all over ourselves to ship off key contributors so that we can get a LT that we may not need and that we definitely can't afford.


    If having one of the worst offensive L tackles in the league is not "a need", what is your criteria for needing one I wonder?

    Can't afford? Again, based on what?

    Offense cap $64M
    Defense cap $93M
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3167
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Did I miss something? I thought the discussion was centered around trading away pieces to get a LT. Can we just buy one? Great, then do that. But otherwise, I think we need what we currently have in Graham, Bennett, Avril, Clark, Richardson, etc. I don't think the sum of the parts remaining plus Brown is going to get us further along.

    Perhaps I'm missing the point here.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion...man." - The Dude
    User avatar
    CHawkTailGator
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 844
    Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:18 pm


  • CHawkTailGator wrote:Agreed, Montana. Glad someone's got a clear head. Let's not start falling all over ourselves to ship off key contributors so that we can get a LT that we may not need and that we definitely can't afford.



    Have you seen our LT play lately, like in the past 4 years?
    User avatar
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1994
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am


  • Richardson isn't getting traded and I don't understand why people would rather have Graham over a top LT.

    The offense didn't miss a beat after Graham got injured in 2015 and went on that historic run.

    Trade Graham (and Lane if possible) to clear the cap room for a LT and sign TE Gary Barnidge, who's a great pass blocker.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 985
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 am


  • massari wrote:Richardson isn't getting traded and I don't understand why people would rather have Graham over a top LT.

    The offense didn't miss a beat after Graham got injured in 2015 and went on that historic run.

    Trade Graham (and Lane if possible) to clear the cap room for a LT and sign TE Gary Barnidge, who's a great pass blocker.

    This. Graham really isnt that important in this offense and they are throwing away 10mil.
    Image
    User avatar
    RussB
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2351
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:42 pm
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Jimmy is the obvious player to move to make a trade for Brown happen. Trading Jimmy frees up the necessary cap space, and you are getting value out of player now hat you are virtually certain to lose in free agency in the offseason. It would be a fantastic trade for the Hawks.
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3239
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


  • massari wrote:Richardson isn't getting traded and I don't understand why people would rather have Graham over a top LT.

    The offense didn't miss a beat after Graham got injured in 2015 and went on that historic run.

    Trade Graham (and Lane if possible) to clear the cap room for a LT and sign TE Gary Barnidge, who's a great pass blocker.


    Surprising that he hasn't be signed by any team. There could be a reason for that.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6778
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Next


It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information