Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Frank Clark Gives Me Hope

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Frank Clark Gives Me Hope
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:08 pm

I'm guilty of being critical of Pete making suspect character picks and allowing some of his players to act out, but I give credit where credit is due with Clark.

Pete and his staff have done an amazing job with Clark both professionally and personally. If Clark is the face of the next wave of Hawk leaders? I'm just fine with that.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Re: Frank Clark Gives Me Hope
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:11 pm
  • He's a hell of a player and as per PC, his ceiling is seriously high!

I'd fully expect him to get a contract extension either this off season or early in the regular season.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:14 pm
  • If only he didn’t end with the ‘feed my family’ bit.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:14 pm
  • He wrote that but signed it BE?

Anyway, assuming he did.....hats off dude! Sounds like he has his head screwed on straight.

Great story, and keep up the good work Frank. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:16 pm
  • Seymour wrote:He wrote that but signed it BE?

Anyway, assuming he did.....hats off dude! Sounds like he has his head screwed on straight.

His nickname is Black Elvis.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:He wrote that but signed it BE?

For real? :shock:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:21 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:He wrote that but signed it BE?

For real? :shock:

It's how he refers to himself on Twitter :)
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:30 pm
  • Clark a flippen Beast, and will only get better. Holy hell he is fast.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm
  • Clark took advantage of several backup left tackles last year. There were too many points where he vanished completely. He's a good, but not elite defensive end.

If you think I'm committing sacrilege in saying this, remember that people are saying the same thing about Bennett despite HIS 8+ sacks.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:06 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Clark took advantage of several backup left tackles last year. There were too many points where he vanished completely. He's a good, but not elite defensive end.

If you think I'm committing sacrilege in saying this, remember that people are saying the same thing about Bennett despite HIS 8+ sacks.

I think you're spot on. Too many times in games he just simply dissapeared.

Not questioning his effort, but our pass rush was a weak spot this season, and with Avril going down this was his chance to take over, and it felt overall like a dissapointment imo.

Several times he'd get stuck in the middle of a spin move and not be able to break free, or he'd rush himself way up field out of the play.

If he could develop some moves, he'd be much better.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:57 pm
  • I like Frank and think he'll get better for sure. Hope he can control himself mentally, like the punching incident, but he's young.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:58 pm
  • I was with you guys earlier in the season, but it's hard to find pass rushers who get a sack a game and have significant impact. AD, healthy JJ Watt, and? Khalil Mack and Von seemed quieter this year, but that might be because their teams were garbage. Even those guys don't wreck opposing gameplans every game. Keep in mind that Watt had Merc and Clowney to help him out a bit and AD has had Robert Quinn, Brockers, et. al who are top picks. Can't expect most pass rushers to come close to those guys anyway.

Again, Clark is second in sacks over three seasons for the Seahawks all time. So far, he's one of the best we've ever drafted and developed. You bring up Bennett as a comparison. I'd like to see film of each of their sacks. I know for a fact that one of Bennett's was when Jared Goff straight up tripped and fell to the ground and Mike B touched him down. Another Mike B got on Dak on a three man rush was 90% Clark manhandling his guy and forcing Prescott into the sack. I'm willing to bet more of Clark's sacks are of the "beat his blocker silly" variety than cleanup sacks.

I agree that the pass rush was very underwhelming this year though.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:54 pm
  • Remember the other guys on that team were facing are pros also, additionally we rotate our guys and flip them a lot, we spread the wealth more then many other teams.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:47 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:If only he didn’t end with the ‘feed my family’ bit.

Why? He is focusing on what matters during the season....FOOTBALL. Some of our other players should try it.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:49 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:If only he didn’t end with the ‘feed my family’ bit.

Why? He is focusing on what matters during the season....FOOTBALL. Some of our other players should try it.

Yeah, I didn't understand the distaste for that last line either.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:54 pm
  • jmahon316 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

Because he makes a ton of money, feeding his family in terms of financial security is a joke to those of us with real life financial struggles.
    Last edited by Jerhawk on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Clark took advantage of several backup left tackles last year. There were too many points where he vanished completely. He's a good, but not elite defensive end.

He does have the physical tools to be elite. Ask Andrew Whitworth. On the play he absolutely destroyed Whitworth he displayed burst, speed and hand movement that is a rarity. Unfortunately he doesn't seem able to tap into that all the time.
    Hollandhawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:07 pm
  • I'd like to see him at left end more next year. He's quick, but not Clemmons type quick and his arc is not good enough to play right end every down. So times he runs himself out of plays. Still, he has big potential. Love the effort and attitude!!!
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:05 pm
  • Good thing, Clint Hurtt is the defensive line coach.

I think a great coach can get a lot out of Clark.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Clark is the Hawks future center piece on defense.

Clark will overtake Wagner/Thomas as the best defensive player on the team maybe next year.

Clark is a beast! Believe it!
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 pm
  • Clark took a step forward this year with his pass rush but needs to step up against the run defense by a massive amount to be in the discussion for best defensive player. Of the few plays I've reviewed so far this off-season we had consistent issues protecting the gap between Richardson and Clark when they were lined up next to each other at RDT and RDE respectively.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 pm
  • He's a good player. Let's not get carried away with "better than Wagner" n stuff.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion...man." - The Dude
    CHawkTailGator
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:29 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    jmahon316 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

Because he makes a ton of money, feeding his family in terms of financial security is a joke to those of us with real life financial struggles.

I'm on the edge between lower/middle class and I didn't take that offensively. Mostly because you have to remember that football player's careers could end in a split second (I.E. Chancellor, Avril, Lockette, etc). Maybe he's trying to keep his head in the game and deal with less distractions so he can play to his full potential and get a bigger contract so if that day ever rears its ugly head, him and his family won't have to worry about money. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by jmahon316 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
    2018 Adopt-a-rookie: Tre Flowers, CB
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:32 am
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Clark will overtake Wagner/Thomas as the best defensive player on the team maybe next year.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves now.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:07 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    jmahon316 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

According to data compiled by the LA Times, Baldwin Village has more than 30,000 residents, with a median household income of less than $40,000. Roughly 32 percent of families in the area are headed by a single parent. It ranks high among Los Angeles neighborhoods for violent crimes and property crimes. Crack and meth are currency. In 2011, one drug raid was so large, the L.A. Sports Arena parking lot was used as a staging ground for the 900 police officers used.

These are the streets Clark wandered with his mother, Teneka Clark, from the early 1990s until 2003, when he was handed a plane ticket.

Frank Clark can't provide a last known address in Los Angeles. He and Teneka, along with his two older siblings, were nomadic. They rambled around town, sleeping in a shelter one night, in a random friend’s house another night. Teneka had drug problems, Frank explains, and this was the fallout.

I think when Frank Clark thinks of feeding his family, these are the memories that's making him think "I need to play well, I need to make my millions so this will never ever happen to anyone in my family ever again".
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:33 am
  • Yeah absolutely.

He’s had some real struggles in his life. Seriously rooting for him and his family.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 am

Clark is very similar to Bennett in that he relies on his elite speed and quickness to be effective..............and like Bennett this year Clark played 80-90% of snaps, instead of a more healthy 50-60% to maximize his effectiveness.

That's been a problem with our D-line for a good 3-4 years, not enough quality depth for guys like Clark and Bennett to stay fresh, which is why they BOTH wore down at the end of the season.

Clark's a beast, but he shouldn't be playing 80-90% of the snaps like he's been asked to do these past couple of years.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:56 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    jmahon316 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

It's a metaphor.
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:04 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    jmahon316 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

I think you lost the plot her Jer...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:15 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:

This is a weird thing to be critical of................not to get political but we should be celebrating young men being driven to take care of their families.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:
    jmahon316 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote: Why? He is focusing on what matters during the season....FOOTBALL. Some of our other players should try it.

I think you lost the plot her Jer...

My bad. Didn't mean to derail the thread. All of our lives are different. In my line of work, I deal with folks all day who struggle to pay their bills, keep a roof over their head and feed their families on limited income. It's just a joke to me when these pro athletes talk about feeding their families when they make a ton of money.

I get it, it's like comparing apples to oranges. I guess I'm just a narrow minded, ignorant biggot.

In regards to Clark, yes hopefully he continues to develop his skills on the field and has nothing but success. He's come a long way, both on and off the field.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:17 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Clark took advantage of several backup left tackles last year. There were too many points where he vanished completely. He's a good, but not elite defensive end.

Clark is very similar to Bennett in that he relies on his elite speed and quickness to be effective..............and like Bennett this year Clark played 80-90% of snaps, instead of a more healthy 50-60% to maximize his effectiveness.

That's been a problem with our D-line for a good 3-4 years, not enough quality depth for guys like Clark and Bennett to stay fresh, which is why they BOTH wore down at the end of the season.

Clark's a beast, but he shouldn't be playing 80-90% of the snaps like he's been asked to do these past couple of years.

Bennett never had elite speed/quickness there's a reason he went undrafted. Cliff was definitely our best speed rusher. Clark is more explosive that speedy if that makes sense.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 pm
  • themunn wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:
    According to data compiled by the LA Times, Baldwin Village has more than 30,000 residents, with a median household income of less than $40,000. Roughly 32 percent of families in the area are headed by a single parent. It ranks high among Los Angeles neighborhoods for violent crimes and property crimes. Crack and meth are currency. In 2011, one drug raid was so large, the L.A. Sports Arena parking lot was used as a staging ground for the 900 police officers used.

These are the streets Clark wandered with his mother, Teneka Clark, from the early 1990s until 2003, when he was handed a plane ticket.

Frank Clark can't provide a last known address in Los Angeles. He and Teneka, along with his two older siblings, were nomadic. They rambled around town, sleeping in a shelter one night, in a random friend’s house another night. Teneka had drug problems, Frank explains, and this was the fallout.

I think when Frank Clark thinks of feeding his family, these are the memories that's making him think "I need to play well, I need to make my millions so this will never ever happen to anyone in my family ever again".

Amen to that.

I don't have issue at all with a football player knowing that his shelf life is short... very short. And God willing, he can make enough money to last him and his family a very long time.

Most careers last just a few years, and most are broke just a few years after that. I'm perfectly ok with a man being smart enough think about these things.
    "God loves football, and He is particularly fond of the Seahawks!" :D :mrgreen:
    RastaHawk12!
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:03 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Image

I'm guilty of being critical of Pete making suspect character picks and allowing some of his players to act out, but I give credit where credit is due with Clark.

Pete and his staff have done an amazing job with Clark both professionally and personally. If Clark is the face of the next wave of Hawk leaders? I'm just fine with that.

Does he mark his face with the sacks he has throughout the season? It looks like he has 5 marked on one side of his face, can't see the other.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 pm
  • I love Frank Clark as a football player and respect him as a man and a human being.
    I always felt his situation was unfairly politicized (hysteracized?) and there were never any character issues in terms of his hard work, focus, and giving 100% as a team player. (no further comment so as to hopefully avoid relegation to non-football threads)

Clark was my adopt-a-rookie back in the day, didn't get a lot of snaps that year, but showed good stuff on the ones he did get. I felt he developed solidly this year, approaching all-pro level. Loved how he came up with big plays at the end of several games, sacks with the game on the line. Motor running all the time, 4-quarter player is what I saw. I hope and expect he will emerge as a full-fledged all-pro level player next year.
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:33 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:Clark took advantage of several backup left tackles last year. There were too many points where he vanished completely. He's a good, but not elite defensive end.

Bennett never had elite speed/quickness there's a reason he went undrafted. Cliff was definitely our best speed rusher. Clark is more explosive that speedy if that makes sense.

Bennett has one of the quickest get offs in the NFL, it's how he's managed to be effective as an undersized interior lineman.

Awesome technique, leverage and speed.............that's his jam.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:06 pm
  • I disagree. He was never that quick, that's why he get so man offsides penalties. He has to time the snap perfectly to have a good chance at getting there. His technique and array of moves is how he makes his money. He's also very intelligent and experienced.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:20 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:I disagree. He was never that quick, that's why he get so man offsides penalties. He has to time the snap perfectly to have a good chance at getting there. His technique and array of moves is how he makes his money. He's also very intelligent and experienced.

It's even in his draft profiles, quick get off and initial burst.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/mic ... t?id=71205

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingrepor ... ennett.php

We can discuss whether he's lost that initial burst, cause it certainly looks like he has over the past couple of years.............thus more offsides. But you're wrong, dude has/had one of the best quick bursts in the league, it's how Bennett gets leverage on his opponent so fast.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:01 pm
  • Bennett may get off sides penalties but I will add this, he get off fast and some of those are not penalties just bad officiating, he goes on movement of the ball and the Ref watching see's Bennett move at the same time and he gets off before the ball gets to the QB.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:17 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Bennett may get off sides penalties but I will add this, he get off fast and some of those are not penalties just bad officiating, he goes on movement of the ball and the Ref watching see's Bennett move at the same time and he gets off before the ball gets to the QB.

Pretty sure Dr Arakaki can help him with that issue.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 am

He also beat some elite left tackles like Whitworth the first Rams game.

Clark is a 10 sack player on a rookie deal, that makes him one of our most valuable players.

No one declared him a future All-Pro I think he was less effective this year because he had to play more snaps. The hope is he can blossom into an every down player and it's not too late for that.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:41 am
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    jmahon316 wrote:
    WmHBonney wrote:

Oh boo hoo.

Context is everything here.

This is his livelihood just like your job is yours.

Don't tell me you aren't trying to bring in as much money as you can.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 am
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:Good thing, Clint Hurtt is the defensive line coach.

I think a great coach can get a lot out of Clark.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Clark is the Hawks future center piece on defense.

Clark will overtake Wagner/Thomas as the best defensive player on the team maybe next year.

Put down the drink buddy
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Bennett has one of the quickest get offs in the NFL, it's how he's managed to be effective as an undersized interior lineman.

Awesome technique, leverage and speed.............that's his jam.

Yup -- he also is GREAT OR AWFUL at guessing the snap count. A lot of Bennett's sacks have come down to his timing and quick start.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 am
  • WestcoastSteve wrote:
    No one declared him a future All-Pro I think he was less effective this year because he had to play more snaps. The hope is he can blossom into an every down player and it's not too late for that.

I do think Clark is an All Pro if he didn't have to play in 80-90% of the snaps, which IMO wore him down as the season went along.

DE's rely on their quickness and burst, so it only makes sense that the more they play the less effective they are. That's what I saw out of Clark this year. Get him back to a 50-60% snap count, and I betcha he doesn't fade like this year.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information