The NFL's inconvenient truth is...

Northhawk

Reaction score
...defense wins championships!

Everyday media types are talking about Payton, Tom and, sometimes even, Russell. Dissecting their every move and assuming their every thought. And if it isn't quarterbacks then it's running backs and WRs. Media obsess over teams' offenses. And usually only reference defences as obstacles for Payton, Tom and, sometimes even, Russell.

I work in media so I get why reporters, pundits and analysts focus on QBs and the rest of the offense. QBs can be made into the face of the franchise. They throw the TD passes, they call the plays and they are in the centre of the action. Audiences want story lines and offense makes a better story.

But if the hawks prove anything, it's a good D is the key to winning. Nothing against Russell and Marshawn, we wouldn't have won the Lombardi without them. But, let's face it, our offense isn't a giant killer and yet here we are at 10-4. And, if you need further convincing, look how terrible our O-line was and we still won the Superbowl.

I used to think otherwise. I was always hoping we'd find that one in a million QB then we did but we also found an identity and it's not on offense, it's on D. Now when I hear Mike & Mike slobbering over some QB, I just shake my head at them as theatre -- bread and circuses for football fans.

So it would be nice to hear more about that safety's every move, how about assuming that lineman's every thought. It may not be sexy but at least it would be honest.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1d0iacow said:
Sex sells. And in the NFL, offense is sex.

Unless you have a dominant defense that provides BIG hits and interceptions. That's just a sexy right there.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
By "inconvenient truth", do you mean a misleading and in many ways fake one but believed by many like Al Gore's film, or just the literal meaning of the phrase itself?

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers was basically carried by an elite defense to his only Super Bowl Ring, but people don't want to remember that.

themunn

Reaction score
RunTheBall":29duuyko said:
Aaron Rodgers was basically carried by an elite defense to his only Super Bowl Ring, but people don't want to remember that.

Fun fact - Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers' regular season QB rating was identical in their superbowl winning seasons.

pehawk

Reaction score
Would all this make the Seahawks a fetish?

chris98251

Reaction score
But it's a QB driven league, have a elite QB and thats all you need, I know I read that here at least 10,000 times.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
themunn":3g0v5clt said:
RunTheBall":3g0v5clt said:

Fun fact - Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers' regular season QB rating was identical in their superbowl winning seasons.

Ya Rodgers had 28TD/11INT..pretty similar to Wilson. In the playoffs though he did have 9TD/2INT. The game against the Bears was horrible, he had like a 50 rating.