Womens World Cup

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Womens World Cup
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:31 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:It's absolutely the point. It's the same reason no-one watches the WNBA. It's a shit product because women are inferior athletes to men in almost every conceivable way. That's not sexist, it's a fact. People watch pro sports because they want to see the best of the best compete against each other. There are several sports where women excel - Tennis, Volleyball, synchronized swimming, etc. The sports where they are clearly inferior to men will always see them paid less because they are watched less overall.

The fact they would lose to a men's team is not the point. If you think the product is worse because they are athletically inferior then that's different, and probably closer to how many casual fans approach women's sports
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:32 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:It's absolutely the point. It's the same reason no-one watches the WNBA. It's a shit product because women are inferior athletes to men in almost every conceivable way. That's not sexist, it's a fact. People watch pro sports because they want to see the best of the best compete against each other. There are several sports where women excel - Tennis, Volleyball, synchronized swimming, etc. The sports where they are clearly inferior to men will always see them paid less because they are watched less overall.

It's the same for all these women's sports, the #1 woman in the world in tennis would get smoked by the #100 man.

Why can't you just enjoy, or don't enjoy the competition for what it is, in every sport, men's or women's. Why do you have to compare?

To say it's a terrible product is just flat out wrong. I, and millions of other people around the world very much enjoyed watching the women's World Cup, as the ratings and attendance in France prove out.

It's a great event, and France did an incredible job putting it on. Skill was had, competition was had, highs, lows, drama, everything you want in watching a sporting event.

To say it sucks cause it's not as good as the men's is just being a close minded sports fan.

I hear this same crap when arguing about MLS with Euro soccer snobs. Stop comparing, we know it's not the same, doesn't make it unwatchable or unenjoyable. Plenty of skill to go around.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:01 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:It's absolutely the point. It's the same reason no-one watches the WNBA. It's a shit product because women are inferior athletes to men in almost every conceivable way. That's not sexist, it's a fact. People watch pro sports because they want to see the best of the best compete against each other. There are several sports where women excel - Tennis, Volleyball, synchronized swimming, etc. The sports where they are clearly inferior to men will always see them paid less because they are watched less overall.

It's the same for all these women's sports, the #1 woman in the world in tennis would get smoked by the #100 man.

Why can't you just enjoy, or don't enjoy the competition for what it is, in every sport, men's or women's. Why do you have to compare?

To say it's a terrible product is just flat out wrong. I, and millions of other people around the world very much enjoyed watching the women's World Cup, as the ratings and attendance in France prove out.

It's a great event, and France did an incredible job putting it on. Skill was had, competition was had, highs, lows, drama, everything you want in watching a sporting event.

To say it sucks cause it's not as good as the men's is just being a close minded sports fan.

I hear this same crap when arguing about MLS with Euro soccer snobs. Stop comparing, we know it's not the same, doesn't make it unwatchable or unenjoyable. Plenty of skill to go around.

Literally every match was in a half-empty stadium, including the final.

And MLS is objectively unwatchable. This has been discussed and agreed-upon many times in this very forum already, nop need to re-hash it again.

By you, cause you're a close minded sports fan. Plenty of people enjoy MLS, and women's soccer..........and minor league baseball, and the WNBA, and college sports, and youth sports. On and on.

Half empty final? 57,000 in attendance, the stadium only holds 59,000.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:15 am
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Literally every match was in a half-empty stadium, including the final.

And MLS is objectively unwatchable. This has been discussed and agreed-upon many times in this very forum already, nop need to re-hash it again.

By you, cause you're a close minded sports fan. Plenty of people enjoy MLS, and women's soccer..........and minor league baseball, and the WNBA, and college sports, and youth sports. On and on.

Half empty final? 57,000 in attendance, the stadium only holds 59,000.

Couldn't even fill a small stadium with their FINAL. Anywhere in the world, if that was a men's final, they'd fill a 100k seater easily. League matches fill 60-70k seater stadiums every week in most leagues. Except for Man City.

Wait, I thought it was half empty. You're bad at math.

You must be fun during the Olympics at home. While everyone's enjoying watching our athletes make our country proud as they compete against the world for medals...........you're the one on the couch yelling "OMG SHE SUCKS, SHE COULD NEVER MAKE THE MEN'S SWIM TEAM!!, TURN IT BACK TO BARNEY MILLER RERUNS!"
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:53 am
  • :snack:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:59 pm
  • Si, you’re gonna have to show us something on this. The women’s final got much higher tv ratings in the US than the men’s final did, and the listed tv ratings for epl are minuscule. I don’t believe any epl game has achieved 2 million viewers.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:39 pm
  • Peaches has no original thoughts.
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 am

There is one sport where a handful of women have competed with and defeated men. Horse racing(jockeys). Rosie Napravnik is amazing. She quit riding to start a family but I think she will come back soon.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosie_Napravnik
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:06 pm
  • How does a thread about the United States winning the World Cup get derailed to this extent ? Lol! do not feed the trolls, they have nothing better to do.

Kudos to the women for doing the country proud!
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:40 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Si, you’re gonna have to show us something on this. The women’s final got much higher tv ratings in the US than the men’s final did, and the listed tv ratings for epl are minuscule. I don’t believe any epl game has achieved 2 million viewers.

Chelsea-united before Patriots/Eagles super bowl had 12 million American viewers.

The Mens World cup final has 1.2 billion viewers, including almost 35 million in this country, where the national team wasn't in the tournament.

These are easy to find data points.

Point to remember, most soccer is viewed as streams in apps,, so traditional Nielsen style ratings dont mean much
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:50 pm
  • Yeah... and I in no way believe the Women's world cup had more viewers than last year's Men world cup final.

Not denigrating the Women's game in saying that
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm
    Uncle Si wrote:Yeah... and I in no way believe the Women's world cup had more viewers than last year's Men world cup final.

I could buy that the women's final had more US viewers than the Men's final - maybe. But that would be because of the reason I explained there, most of the US had no interest in the men's World Cup last time round because the USMNT couldn't even make it through the obviously rigged (in their favor) CONCACAF qualifiers.

I still those numbers are marketing...

I like the Women's game. Very happy with the direction it's going globally and was enthralled by every US match after the group stages.

It still doesn't have the same entertainment value to me as the men's game, and I don't think I'm alone.

Not that it's worse, just not as entertaining. Neither is the MLS to me. I still watch it and attend matches, but Allianz in St. Paul isn't Anfield in Liverpool.

People confuse that with elitism
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:29 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Si, you’re gonna have to show us something on this. The women’s final got much higher tv ratings in the US than the men’s final did, and the listed tv ratings for epl are minuscule. I don’t believe any epl game has achieved 2 million viewers.

Not anymore now that the camera toting "hard core" Man U fans have nothing to be smug about.
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information