49ers trading up to #3 pick with Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
...still speechless. LOL.

I mean I've been critical of trades in the past that give up future 1st rounders. I hate doing that...

...but QB is a different animal. That's the one place I see it justified. That doesn't mean tho I'm a fan of this. Still processing. Didn't see it coming.

I mean I applaud Lynch/Shanahan for swinging for the fences, but this has the potential to end their terms in SF if this QB busts.

If he hits tho...wow.

Now its just about who they pick. I'd like them in this order...

1) Wilson (likely gone at 2)
2) Fields
3) Lance (least of these by far)
Never) Mac Jones

knownone

Reaction score
From a value perspective, this is a horrible trade for the Niners. Shanahan and Lynch have basically mortgaged their future on one unproven guy. Unless this guy turns out to be an elite QB, I think Lynch's days are numbered. I know Niner's fans disagree with me, but he's a horrible GM, and this is the type of trade horrible GM's make.

Rat

Reaction score
knownone":2i5hiyuk said:
From a value perspective, this is a horrible trade for the Niners. Shanahan and Lynch have basically mortgaged their future on one unproven guy. Unless this guy turns out to be an elite QB, I think Lynch's days are numbered. I know Niner's fans disagree with me, but he's a horrible GM, and this is the type of trade horrible GM's make.

They were in the Super Bowl just two years ago with a QB this whole board thinks is trash. There's enough young talent there that this shouldnt be considered "mortgaging their future". Especially now that highly-drafted rookies no longer take up half the cap.

TAB420

Reaction score
Rat":12v28sqr said:
knownone":12v28sqr said:

They were in the Super Bowl just two years ago with a QB this whole board thinks is trash. There's enough young talent there that this shouldnt be considered "mortgaging their future". Especially now that highly-drafted rookies no longer take up half the cap.
Yes. But, they are not the same team. They lost big play makers on both sides of the ball. This is a huge risk that could go either way. I remember the Niner fans saying we gave up too much for Adams. They just gave up three 1st for an unkown. It may work out...but it's a huge risk.

knownone

Reaction score
Rat":24gvajsb said:
knownone":24gvajsb said:

They've had 1 winning season in 4 years, and their defense has lost several valuable assets from that Superbowl team. They are 100% mortgaging their future. If this pick doesn't pan out, it's hard to make a case that Shanahan or Lynch should keep their jobs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":1trtgnkq said:

I think people who think he's horrible only look at his 1st round picks. Thomas clearly a bust, Foster couldn't keep his head on straight, McGlinchey kinda in a make or break year...

...but he also took Kittle in the 5th and Warner in the 3rd. He made the trade for Trent, and he drafted Aiyuk and Deebo.

Honestly, my bigger concern is that they DIDN'T take Mahomes and Watson and now they are picking a QB.

I dunno. Time will tell as it always does. Its exciting to see who they end up with, but a bummer to lose the picks.

BTW, from value standpoint RE pick value, #3 is worth 2200. 12 is worth 1200. Future 1s typically worth. a round later...so midround next year and year after are 420 and 190 respectively. The 3 is in depate because I've seen it reported this year and I've seen it reported next year. Either way its end of the round as its a pick they got for Robert Saleh.

If its this year its worth 80ish.

So that's 1200+420+190+80: 1910. Pick was worth 2200. Value isn't too bad...just hate giving up future 1s.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":1h2wg31d said:
Rat":1h2wg31d said:
knownone":1h2wg31d said:

Yes. But, they are not the same team. They lost big play makers on both sides of the ball. This is a huge risk that could go either way. I remember the Niner fans saying we gave up too much for Adams. They just gave up three 1st for an unkown. It may work out...but it's a huge risk.

err...I'd aregue they might be a BETTER roster. Hurting them is no Buckner and they'll lose Sherman...

...but Varrett was the best CB on the team last year. They kept K'waun Williams. They get Bosa back.

and at WR....Aiyukl and a healthy Deebo is far better than what they had in 2019. Additinally, Mostert is better than Coleman. Trent Williams is better than Staley. Alex Mack is better than any C they've had last few years. They don't have any glaring holes.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":3g3d2ifi said:
Rat":3g3d2ifi said:
knownone":3g3d2ifi said:

I was absolutely one of those people saying Seattle gave up too much for Adams. I stand by it too.

The difference is that Adams is a Safety with an expiring contract.

This is for a QB.

Now this guy could totally bust and that's the danger here, but if thee is a position to give all that up for, its QB.

Washington49er

Reaction score
TAB420":24t3pnyy said:
Rat":24t3pnyy said:
knownone":24t3pnyy said:

Well if you're right, which I doubt, as a Hawk fan you should be elated.

Pick hasn't even been made, who knows they could use their #3 to get back some #1s. Until the draft happens we can only speculate.

Marvin49

Reaction score
So yes...official.

Its the 3rd round comp pick NEXT year for Saleh.

So only pick they lost THIS year is 12.

TAB420

Reaction score
Washington49er":1ovdesin said:
TAB420":1ovdesin said:
Rat":1ovdesin said:
knownone":1ovdesin said:

Pick hasn't even been made, who knows they could use their #3 to get back some #1s. Until the draft happens we can only speculate.
Oh, I'm very happy. I would have been worried if you guys picked up Watson. I also think you would have been better off keeping Jimmy and using those (3) draft picks to build. I was on the fence about Seattle giving up 2 picks for a young pro bowler. All I'm saying is this is a very risky move. If you can't see that, then the blinders are on a little too tight. Again...i'm not saying it won't work out. It's just a very risky move.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TAB420":1osllz9i said:
Washington49er":1osllz9i said:
TAB420":1osllz9i said:
Rat":1osllz9i said:

Oh, I'm very happy. I would have been worried if you guys picked up Watson. I also think you would have been better off keeping Jimmy and using those (3) draft picks to build. I was on the fence about Seattle giving up 2 picks for a young pro bowler. All I'm saying is this is a very risky move. If you can't see that, then the blinders are on a little too tight. Again...i'm not saying it won't work out. It's just a very risky move.

I don't think any Niner fan would tell you this isn't risky. No question its a big risk.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Having a chance at a stellar QB without having to go through the years of suck to get him, is the dream of almost any fanbase.

Because then you get a good to great young QB on a rookie contract, so you can spend on building out everything else on the team. One of the most effective pathways to a SB you can create.

If you are a Niner fan, you have to be both hopeful and almost elated that you might be turning your team into another SB visit in a few years.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":p5dri0bz said:
Having a chance at a stellar QB without having to go through the years of suck to get him, is the dream of almost any fanbase.

Because then you get a good to great young QB on a rookie contract, so you can spend on building out everything else on the team. One of the most effective pathways to a SB you can create.

If you are a Niner fan, you have to be both hopeful and almost elated that you might be turning your team into another SB visit in a few years.

....I guess the best way I can describe this feeling is "hesitantly excited". :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2xhi600b said:
Trade that pic for Watson..instant sb contender.

LOL...that would be great, but I think any talk of Watson to SF just died. They don't have 1s now for 2 years.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Washington49er":3fsb4e0u said:
Everytime I see a rookie start in his first seasons I have visions of David Carr

I have visions of Russell Wilson's rookie year. :2thumbs:

Giving up one 3rd round pick for a future HOF QB who made his debut as a rookie is looking better all the time.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
So, Martin49 and other 49ers fans, please further explain this pick.

Florio's saying that given what the 49ers have given up, they can't keep JimmyG for example. I don't see why not really as it is not like any rookie, Bosa, Mahomes, etc., signs for JimmyG money right off the bat.

So is there possibility of them wanting to get a super hotshot in waiting WHILE signing JimmyG to a one-year/incentive laden/team friendly deal?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1v3p88qr said:
So, Martin49 and other 49ers fans, please further explain this pick.

Florio's saying that given what the 49ers have given up, they can't keep JimmyG for example. I don't see why not really as it is not like any rookie, Bosa, Mahomes, etc., signs for JimmyG money right off the bat.

So is there possibility of them wanting to get a super hotshot in waiting WHILE signing JimmyG to a one-year/incentive laden/team friendly deal?

I pretty much said the same thing to Florio via Twitter.

So, as I see it, the 49ers don't NEED to move him. They got their free agent back, several to one year contracts. That last part is important...they are looking to make a run THIS YEAR. I just don't see them dumping Jimmy for next to nothing and going for a run with a Rookie.

Yes...I hear the "you don't pay 26 mil to a backup" but my guess is they play this like Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes. They got their guys back. They aren't strapped for cap space. Unless someone (read NE) blows them away with an offer, I think Jimmy will be in SF.

Also important: Jimmy has TWO years left on his deal. If they keep him, they can still trade him NEXT year. The rookie QB will be salary controlled.

So....49ers don't HAVE to do anything. I think they run it back with Jimmy and have his replacement in the wings. The last thing Jimmy will want to do is demand a trade considering nobody else will pay him the 26 mil.

Status
Not open for further replies.