49ers trading up to #3 pick with Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris98251

Reaction score
Two things, what the Bears were willing to give up was way short for Wilson as proven commodity.

Second Maelstrom pointed out Herbert, but those are rare, you are more likely to get Sam Bradford or Akili Smith.

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":31ahvle5 said:
TAB420":31ahvle5 said:
Rat":31ahvle5 said:
knownone":31ahvle5 said:
From a value perspective, this is a horrible trade for the Niners. Shanahan and Lynch have basically mortgaged their future on one unproven guy. Unless this guy turns out to be an elite QB, I think Lynch's days are numbered. I know Niner's fans disagree with me, but he's a horrible GM, and this is the type of trade horrible GM's make.

They were in the Super Bowl just two years ago with a QB this whole board thinks is trash. There's enough young talent there that this shouldnt be considered "mortgaging their future". Especially now that highly-drafted rookies no longer take up half the cap.
Yes. But, they are not the same team. They lost big play makers on both sides of the ball. This is a huge risk that could go either way. I remember the Niner fans saying we gave up too much for Adams. They just gave up three 1st for an unkown. It may work out...but it's a huge risk.

I was absolutely one of those people saying Seattle gave up too much for Adams. I stand by it too.

The difference is that Adams is a Safety with an expiring contract.

This is for a QB.

Now this guy could totally bust and that's the danger here, but if thee is a position to give all that up for, its QB.
I'm not sure the Adams trade is comparable to this. First, Seattle gave up roughly the same value for Adam's as the Niner's 12th overall pick. Second, Adams had two cost-controlled seasons, so he wasn't exactly on an expiring contract.

The value the Niners have given up is on the low-end of what you'd expect to give up for a franchise QB. If it works out, they'll look like geniuses. If it doesn't, they'll be in a similar situation as the Bears with Trubiski.

TAB420

Reaction score
Marvin49":3qkodoqx said:
TAB420":3qkodoqx said:
Rat":3qkodoqx said:
knownone":3qkodoqx said:
From a value perspective, this is a horrible trade for the Niners. Shanahan and Lynch have basically mortgaged their future on one unproven guy. Unless this guy turns out to be an elite QB, I think Lynch's days are numbered. I know Niner's fans disagree with me, but he's a horrible GM, and this is the type of trade horrible GM's make.

They were in the Super Bowl just two years ago with a QB this whole board thinks is trash. There's enough young talent there that this shouldnt be considered "mortgaging their future". Especially now that highly-drafted rookies no longer take up half the cap.
Yes. But, they are not the same team. They lost big play makers on both sides of the ball. This is a huge risk that could go either way. I remember the Niner fans saying we gave up too much for Adams. They just gave up three 1st for an unkown. It may work out...but it's a huge risk.

I was absolutely one of those people saying Seattle gave up too much for Adams. I stand by it too.

This is for a QB.

Now this guy could totally bust and that's the danger here, but if thee is a position to give all that up for, its QB.
Yes. But, Adam's was a proven NFL player.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2bxfq3zl said:
SantaClaraHawk":2bxfq3zl said:
So, Martin49 and other 49ers fans, please further explain this pick.

Florio's saying that given what the 49ers have given up, they can't keep JimmyG for example. I don't see why not really as it is not like any rookie, Bosa, Mahomes, etc., signs for JimmyG money right off the bat.

So is there possibility of them wanting to get a super hotshot in waiting WHILE signing JimmyG to a one-year/incentive laden/team friendly deal?

I pretty much said the same thing to Florio via Twitter.

So, as I see it, the 49ers don't NEED to move him. They got their free agent back, several to one year contracts. That last part is important...they are looking to make a run THIS YEAR. I just don't see them dumping Jimmy for next to nothing and going for a run with a Rookie.

Yes...I hear the "you don't pay 26 mil to a backup" but my guess is they play this like Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes. They got their guys back. They aren't strapped for cap space. Unless someone (read NE) blows them away with an offer, I think Jimmy will be in SF.

Also important: Jimmy has TWO years left on his deal. If they keep him, they can still trade him NEXT year. The rookie QB will be salary controlled.

So....49ers don't HAVE to do anything. I think they run it back with Jimmy and have his replacement in the wings. The last thing Jimmy will want to do is demand a trade considering nobody else will pay him the 26 mil.

Florio ain't having that argument. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... iii-trade/

He's convinced Jimmy G is out of there, but I'm more with you, I see it as an Alex Smith/Mahomes bridge deal.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":2p83bmyl said:
Marvin49":2p83bmyl said:
TAB420":2p83bmyl said:
Rat":2p83bmyl said:

This is for a QB.

I'm not sure the Adams trade is comparable to this. First, Seattle gave up roughly the same value for Adam's as the Niner's 12th overall pick. Second, Adams had two cost-controlled seasons, so he wasn't exactly on an expiring contract.

The value the Niners have given up is on the low-end of what you'd expect to give up for a franchise QB. If it works out, they'll look like geniuses. If it doesn't, they'll be in a similar situation as the Bears with Trubiski.

I'm not sure it is either, but I was responding to someone who was making that comparison.

There is no question, this is a balsy, homerun/strike out type move with huge ramifications.

To be clear, I still like Jimmy G. Its not like I all of the sudden am like "f*ck that guy, he sucks". LOL.

I like him and I know what he is. At his best and when he's healthy he's a top 10 QB in Kyles system. The problem is that he's rarely been healthy and that has stunted his growth. As I heard today, he's started 4 NFL seasons and only made it out of September without getting hurt once...and he went to the SB. It's the second year as a starter where QBs in Kyles system really take off...but Jimmy just can't stay on the field. Worse, he seems to have lost the mobility he once had. He was never a fast guy, but he could move around well enough to make some throws on the move.

That vanished last year after the ankle injury. Maybe its back this year and he has a big year and we see that second year improvement. Dunno.

Having said all that, its clear Shanahan and Lynch don't seem to think of him as the answer. Honestly I think that has some to do with that ionjury history, but I think it also has alot to do with seeing Wilson every year, seeing Kyler Murray play, after losing to Mahomes in the SB and the biggest one...seeing Josh Allen light them up last year (based on his comments after the game). He has always been about getting a guy who will just execute the game plan. He wasn't about getting guys with plus traits.

That was the reason he passed on Watson and Mahomes the first time in favor of a third round guy in Beathard and betting on getting Cousins when he got free of Washington.

The Garoppolo thing was a curveball. They weren't expecting that (his availability). That was an attempt by Belichick to send Jimmy to a coach he respected.

After seeing Wilson, Kyler, Mahomes and especially after that Buffalo game, he's now about going out and getting his own guy with plus traits. He's about finding an athlete back there he can mold.

That's why I think the Mac Jones nonsense is just that. Nonsense. Jones fits Shanahans old model...not the one he's going after with this move.

That's why they were all in on Watson. That's why I think this move is for Wilson/Fields/Lance. Lance is a DISTANT third for me tho.

That guy will need time tho to learn...which is why I'm not sold on Jimmy getting traded this year. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but they already have their guys back and aren't cap starved.

This is a huge gamble tho. Not gonna sugar coat that. Big swing. We'll see if it plays out, but it'll be fun to watch it unfold.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
I don’t know about Watson anymore betting your career looks treacherous to me. Jimmy G gets a bad rap if he gets cut Seattle would be crazy if they didn’t go get him assuming they’re done with Russ. I want Darnold then Mariota/Jimmy G.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
FresnoHawk68":3t62fmpf said:
I don’t know about Watson anymore betting your career looks treacherous to me. Jimmy G gets a bad rap if he gets cut Seattle would be crazy if they didn’t go get him assuming they’re done with Russ. I want Darnold then Mariota/Jimmy G.

Garopolo won't be cut. No one said that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":17v18qxe said:
FresnoHawk68":17v18qxe said:

Garopolo won't be cut. No one said that.

Nope...and if he goes ANYWHERE, I think its like 99% NE.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":3ezu1751 said:
knownone":3ezu1751 said:
Marvin49":3ezu1751 said:
TAB420":3ezu1751 said:

This is for a QB.

I'm not sure it is either, but I was responding to someone who was making that comparison.

There is no question, this is a balsy, homerun/strike out type move with huge ramifications.

To be clear, I still like Jimmy G. Its not like I all of the sudden am like "f*ck that guy, he sucks". LOL.

I like him and I know what he is. At his best and when he's healthy he's a top 10 QB in Kyles system. The problem is that he's rarely been healthy and that has stunted his growth. As I heard today, he's started 4 NFL seasons and only made it out of September without getting hurt once...and he went to the SB. It's the second year as a starter where QBs in Kyles system really take off...but Jimmy just can't stay on the field. Worse, he seems to have lost the mobility he once had. He was never a fast guy, but he could move around well enough to make some throws on the move.

That vanished last year after the ankle injury. Maybe its back this year and he has a big year and we see that second year improvement. Dunno.

Having said all that, its clear Shanahan and Lynch don't seem to think of him as the answer. Honestly I think that has some to do with that ionjury history, but I think it also has alot to do with seeing Wilson every year, seeing Kyler Murray play, after losing to Mahomes in the SB and the biggest one...seeing Josh Allen light them up last year (based on his comments after the game). He has always been about getting a guy who will just execute the game plan. He wasn't about getting guys with plus traits.

That was the reason he passed on Watson and Mahomes the first time in favor of a third round guy in Beathard and betting on getting Cousins when he got free of Washington.

The Garoppolo thing was a curveball. They weren't expecting that (his availability). That was an attempt by Belichick to send Jimmy to a coach he respected.

After seeing Wilson, Kyler, Mahomes and especially after that Buffalo game, he's now about going out and getting his own guy with plus traits. He's about finding an athlete back there he can mold.

That's why I think the Mac Jones nonsense is just that. Nonsense. Jones fits Shanahans old model...not the one he's going after with this move.

That's why they were all in on Watson. That's why I think this move is for Wilson/Fields/Lance. Lance is a DISTANT third for me tho.

That guy will need time tho to learn...which is why I'm not sold on Jimmy getting traded this year. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but they already have their guys back and aren't cap starved.

This is a huge gamble tho. Not gonna sugar coat that. Big swing. We'll see if it plays out, but it'll be fun to watch it unfold.

Enjoy the ride. It's shaping up into being a most interesting 49er year.

Fade

Reaction score
Teams who have traded into the top3 and selected a QB the last 10 years are as follows: RGIII, Goff, Wentz, Tribusky.

The Niners got impatient, and probably were going to trade for Watson, now they have to settle for a rookie. If they can move up another spot and take Wilson this is a pretty good trade. If they stand pat and take the 3rd QB, whoever it is, I predict disaster.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fade":1h3uxdxv said:
Teams who have traded into the top3 and selected a QB the last 10 years are as follows: RGIII, Goff, Wentz, Tribusky.

The Niners got impatient, and probably were going to trade for Watson, now they have to settle for a rookie. If they can move up another spot and take Wilson this is a pretty good trade. If they stand pat and take the 3rd QB, whoever it is, I predict disaster.

Wish I had said that first... :snack: no truer words...

Own The West

Reaction score
What may affect us more than whomever SF drafts is that now the Eagles have 3* first round picks in 2022 and are probably going to be looking for a franchise QB.

* Wentz netted them a 2nd, but it becomes a first if he works out in Indy.

Que the hand-wringing...

NINEster

Reaction score
Fade":2t8z8v1q said:

Many could easily say that future first round picks for the Seahawks will be disasters based on track record too. Who is a bonafide 1st round Seahawk player that makes you go wow? Earl Thomas?

Let's revisit these guys individually:

RG3 - was not wanted by the Shanahan coaching staff. Was forced onto them by ownership. They made it work because of creative coaching.

Goff - seemed pretty good. The Rams in 2016 were a terrible place to be for a QB, and then suddenly the next few years things changed dramatically. Goff might not have been the guy ultimately, but I don't recall the pros/cons of his draft stock. Seemed like he relied on the running game a bit too much, more than Jimmy G does.

Wentz - Easy to look now and see faults, but great rookie season. Woulda snagged an MVP for sure if he didn't get hurt. Still a decent QB talent, and the change of scenery is likely to help him. Has attitude issues, but far from a terrible player.

Trubisky - Don't have the answer here. Should never have been drafted so high. Also don't feel Trubisky counts in this conversation....going from #3 to #2 is not a huge get and for some reason the Bears couldn't see that the 49ers wouldn't have drafted him. It's nowhere near the other 3 on here.......the Bears missed but they didn't unload the farm to get him, luckily for them.

So based on my analysis here, 3 out of the 4 guys here if redrafted in 2021 with the 49ers would do very well. The 49ers right now are one of the best teams a 1st round (let alone a super high pick 1st round) could go to. This is an even better team than the one that drafted Nick Bosa at #2.

Predict disaster? LMFAO, love it.

Meanwhile the Russell Wilson situation in Seattle literally couldn't be any better I bet.

Right. :roll:

TAB420

Reaction score
NINEster":2mx308ti said:
Fade":2mx308ti said:

Many could easily say that future first round picks for the Seahawks will be disasters based on track record too. Who is a bonafide 1st round Seahawk player that makes you go wow? Earl Thomas?

RG3 - was not wanted by the Shanahan coaching staff. Was forced onto them by ownership. They made it work because of creative coaching.

Goff - seemed pretty good. The Rams in 2016 were a terrible place to be for a QB, and then suddenly the next few years things changed dramatically. Goff might not have been the guy ultimately, but I don't recall the pros/cons of his draft stock. Seemed like he relied on the running game a bit too much, more than Jimmy G does.

Wentz - Easy to look now and see faults, but great rookie season. Woulda snagged an MVP for sure if he didn't get hurt. Still a decent QB talent, and the change of scenery is likely to help him. Has attitude issues, but far from a terrible player.

Trubisky - Don't have the answer here. Should never have been drafted so high. Also don't feel Trubisky counts in this conversation....going from #3 to #2 is not a huge get and for some reason the Bears couldn't see that the 49ers wouldn't have drafted him. It's nowhere near the other 3 on here.......the Bears missed but they didn't unload the farm to get him, luckily for them.

So based on my analysis here, 3 out of the 4 guys here if redrafted in 2021 with the 49ers would do very well. The 49ers right now are one of the best teams a 1st round (let alone a super high pick 1st round) could go to. This is an even better team than the one that drafted Nick Bosa at #2.

Meanwhile the Russell Wilson situation in Seattle literally couldn't be any better I bet.

His situation right now is still way better than Smiths, Kaepernicks, I mean Jimmy's, actually I mean the new guy. I think you get my drift. You're using three...yes three, first round picks on a player that hasn't had one NFL snap. Sure, it might work out. But to act like this isn't a huge risk is idiotic at best. That's all we're saying. I mean one doesn't really need to look any further than your own Alex Smith.

Here's an article about the most costly trade in the last 5 years. It looks like this is the most ever given up for a first round draft pic in the draft. Another thing you might notice is that when teams do pull the trigger on a multi 1st round trade, it's for a player who has already proven themselves at the NFL level.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hist ... ive-years/

chris98251

Reaction score
TAB420":yp0g26k5 said:
NINEster":yp0g26k5 said:
Fade":yp0g26k5 said:

His situation right now is still way better than Smiths, Kaepernicks, I mean Jimmy's, actually I mean the new guy. I think you get my drift. You're using three...yes three, first round picks on a player that hasn't had one NFL snap. Sure, it might work out. But to act like this isn't a huge risk is idiotic at best. That's all we're saying. I mean one doesn't really need to look any further than your own Alex Smith.

Here's an article about the most costly trade in the last 5 years. It looks like this is the most ever given up for a first round draft pic in the draft. Another thing you might notice is that when teams do pull the trigger on a multi 1st round trade, it's for a player who has already proven themselves at the NFL level.

In addition, here is the history of teams using a first round pick on QB's.

The shot in the dark aspect is befuddling, look out of all of them picked has actually won a Super Bowl with the team that picked them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...d-quarterbacks-by-team-in-the-super-bowl-era/

Marvin49

Reaction score
NINEster":egyoix80 said:
Fade":egyoix80 said:

Nah...I won't play that game.

I won't predict disaster and I won't predict homerun. It could very easily be either. There is no getting around this being a risk.

In this particular draft, they HAD to move up to get the guy they want. There is no question. Whether that guy will be a bust or a hit remains to be seen and there are just soooo many factors that go into that.

As for the guys you mentioned...every situation is different. RGIII issues were between his ears. Good guy, but his own ego got in the way and wouldn't take hard coaching. Goff? The issue there isn't the trade. He just didn't pan out. I think Wentz may turn it around. Trubisky? That was a reach from the start. I don't think anyone was a fan of that move for that player. Reach.

I'm excited to see who they like and were willing to make this bold move for and eager to see how he responds to Kyles coaching.

If I'm a betting man right now, my gut is telling me its Trey Lance.

TAB420

Reaction score
Marvin49":3bd6m2wr said:
NINEster":3bd6m2wr said:
Fade":3bd6m2wr said:

Nah...I won't play that game.

I won't predict disaster and I won't predict homerun. It could very easily be either. There is no getting around this being a risk.

In this particular draft, they HAD to move up to get the guy they want. There is no question. Whether that guy will be a bust or a hit remains to be seen and there are just soooo many factors that go into that.

As for the guys you mentioned...every situation is different. RGIII issues were between his ears. Good guy, but his own ego got in the way and wouldn't take hard coaching. Goff? The issue there isn't the trade. He just didn't pan out. I think Wentz may turn it around. Trubisky? That was a reach from the start. I don't think anyone was a fan of that move for that player. Reach.

I'm excited to see who they like and were willing to make this bold move for and eager to see how he responds to Kyles coaching.

If I'm a betting man right now, my gut is telling me its Trey Lance.
Exactly. And, that's what I've been saying all along. Great risk (can) come with great reward. It can also blow up in your face. But, that could be said with most picks.

NINEster

Reaction score
Yes guys, risk.

Of course, there's risk in everything in life.

But you're not taking into account two things:

1) The 49ers up and down seasons the last decade
2) The quality of team this QB will go to

#1 - After the way the 2014 season ended into 2015, I WISH the Niners could have done some crazy shit to have kept it together the year prior (i.e. trade for some star WR or CB). Hindsight is 20/20, but the team got smashed in the face without having to trade away 3 first rounders for it. That's ******* brutal and the Seahawk fanbase never experienced that.

From this standpoint, there's more risk not going after a QB than hanging out and drafting BPA at #12.

#2 - Alex Smith? Haha. If he was drafted today, he'd have been redshirted a season if not two and would become a franchise QB. Smith was known to be a late bloomer by Urban Meyer himself, and despite the rather brutal first 5 years in the league, he's done pretty well for himself utilizing only about 70% of his skillset. The 2006 film of Smith is surreal to watch......bares zero resemblance to what people have seen the last decade, none. A legit dual threat QB ahead of his time. Just didn't WTF he was doing.

Meanwhile the baller Aaron Rodgers got a few years to fix his throwing motion while the sexual predator ahead of him took his time to move on. The career gaps are huge, but if paths were reversed, it'd be a lot closer than what it is now. Maybe Rodgers is a baller no matter what (big maybe to that), but it's more likely that Smith in Green Bay has a decent career, and Rodgers as a Niner is an exciting QB that never plays in the big one.

So anyway, how many teams over the last 20 years picking top 3 are as good as the 49ers right now? Organizational stability, talent in the trenches, a smart offensive minded coach, just been to a Super Bowl under 500 days ago. They even have a QB who got their team to the SB, and is legitimately expected to be a threat to do so.

Name me one team over the last 10-20 seasons that even resembles this? All of these rookies forced to start on subpar teams. Of course it's gonna be tough. Nobody ever gets this type of situation.

If none of these guys can hack it on the 49ers, AFTER A YEAR ON THE BENCH, then the entire scouting field got it wrong on them. Massively wrong.

You're telling me Russell Wilson, the 2012 Wisconsin prospect, is better than all of these QBs? LOL.

knownone

Reaction score
NINEster":1xoryjur said:
You're telling me Russell Wilson, the 2012 Wisconsin prospect, is better than all of these QBs? LOL.
Russ is a bad example. If he was coming out this season, he’d be far and away the 2nd best QB in this draft and in the conversation for the #1 pick. He was a 4 year starter, played in a pro offense, and had just about everything you look for except height.

This years QBs are boom or bust guys. Lance, Wilson, and Fields have the talent to be difference makers, but the risk associated with them is a lot higher than it was with Russ.

toffee

Reaction score
How 9ers could use #3 plus Bossa for Wilson lol.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.