49ers trading up to #3 pick with Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":2zzrfr5x said:
Who benefits from the rumors that the Niners are interested in Mac Jones? Most of us believe it's improbable that the Niners moved up to draft Jones. So it's ludicrous to assume a team would trade up to stop the Niners from drafting him. My theory is these leaks are coming from the Niners for two reasons: A) they want to placate teams into thinking they'll draft Jones so they can get the guy they want, or B) they actually are considering taking Jones.

Reason A seems like the more logical scenario, but I wouldn't rule out them drafting Jones. He fits a similar mold of QB's that have succeeded in Kyle's system, like Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, and Jimmy G. On top of that, he's got the highest floor of any QB they could potentially grab at that spot, which would be a determining factor if they don't believe the other QBs have significantly higher ceilings.

As for Jimmy G, the Niners are asking for a 1st and hoping someone offers a 2nd. This is not like Alex Smith's situation in KC. The Chiefs didn't mortgage their entire future for a QB. They won 12 games the year before, and Smith hadn't had a losing season in 6 years as a starter. In contrast, Jimmy G has battled injuries in 2 out of 3 seasons, and he's only had one full season as a starter. Unless the Niners are drafting a project QB, they'd be silly not to trade Jimmy if someone offers a 2nd (or maybe even a 3rd) for him.

Oh....I’m about 99% convinced the Niners are leaking Mac Jones with no intent on taking him. My guess is the really want Lance or Fields and do t want someone jumping in front of them to take that player.

I think in the end the Jets take Wilson at 2. If you put a gun to my head my guess would e Niners take Lance.

As for Jimmy, I honestly believe they won’t settle for a 2. It’s not because they are playing hard ball or actually think they end up with a 1, it’s because I think they want to give Lance a year to learn.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":kns32hbd said:
Oh....I’m about 99% convinced the Niners are leaking Mac Jones with no intent on taking him. My guess is the really want Lance or Fields and do t want someone jumping in front of them to take that player.

I understand masking your intentions, so I'm not crirticizing that, but I will say anyone with a desire to jump up to #2 won't be doing it for Trey Lance or Justin Fields. They'll only have eyes for Zach Wilson. I'd say it's more likely they're putting out a smoke screen hoping the Jets don't go QB and Wilson falls to them.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":5dj2uci3 said:
Marvin49":5dj2uci3 said:

I understand masking your intentions, so I'm not crirticizing that, but I will say anyone with a desire to jump up to #2 won't be doing it for Trey Lance or Justin Fields. They'll only have eyes for Zach Wilson. I'd say it's more likely they're putting out a smoke screen hoping the Jets don't go QB and Wilson falls to them.

That’s entirely possible as well.

My point tho is that the amount of noise surrounding Niners and Jones makes me think it won’t be Jones.

I do think tho that just because the media and most fans place Wilson as the #2 QB, that doesn’t mean every team feels the same.

Basically, I think the 49ers have nothing to lose my leaking Jones. Wilson could fall to them or the take Lance.

Sac

Reaction score
Washington49er":1rr0t9zk said:
Everytime I see a rookie start in his first seasons I have visions of David Carr

I didn't see David Carr in Russ' first season. Or Luck's.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sac":coml8ysj said:
Washington49er":coml8ysj said:
Everytime I see a rookie start in his first seasons I have visions of David Carr

Where's Luck now?

RW is an exception in more ways than this.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sac":3kh2mlxr said:
Washington49er":3kh2mlxr said:

There are exceptions to every rule.

David Carr is just the example of how it can ruin a young QB. Poor dude was sacked 76 times as a rookie.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":2wuxjf9h said:
Sac":2wuxjf9h said:
Washington49er":2wuxjf9h said:

David Carr is just the example of how it can ruin a young QB. Poor dude was sacked 76 times as a rookie.

The thing about pointing to David Carr, again, is that he played for an EXPANSION team. You can't tell me, even for a second, you think the 49ers are that bad.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":1eucksok said:
Marvin49":1eucksok said:
Sac":1eucksok said:
Washington49er":1eucksok said:

The thing about pointing to David Carr, again, is that he played for an EXPANSION team. You can't tell me, even for a second, you think the 49ers are that bad.

Oh...not at all. That was Washington who said that. I don't see that necessarily, but I don't see any rookie QB ever winning a SB, regardless of the situation.

Moreover, starting a rookie worries me as I know that even experienced QBs have struggled in year one in Kyles system. RGIII seems to be the outlier, and he completely imploded after the Shanahans left.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Washington49er":1ripkmt8 said:
Sac":1ripkmt8 said:
Washington49er":1ripkmt8 said:

Where's Luck now?

Luck isn't out of the game because he was a bust. He's out of the game because Ryan Grigson is a dipshit.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":3f3jg96w said:
Washington49er":3f3jg96w said:
Sac":3f3jg96w said:
Washington49er":3f3jg96w said:

Where's Luck now?

Luck isn't out of the game because he was a bust. He's out of the game because Ryan Grigson is a $h!t.

That and his kneck injuries.

knownone

Reaction score
Everything is pointing towards Mac Jones to the Niners. Schefter and a handful of other reporters have basically said this is a done deal. If this is a smokescreen, the Niners are going all out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":2grouek1 said:
Everything is pointing towards Mac Jones to the Niners. Schefter and a handful of other reporters have basically said this is a done deal. If this is a smokescreen, the Niners are going all out.

I won't believe it till I hear the commissioner call his name. I think everyone is guessing. At this point, I don't even think its a smokescreen. I think people are making assumptions and the Niners aren't leaking anything. Its just like one guy says it, another guy repeats the first guy, and now the third guy says "I'm hearing..." and now the 4th guy says he gets "strong indication..." and fifth guy takes it as "It'll be Mac Jones". It takes on a life of its own.

I don't think the Niners are saying ANYTHING now. With Lawrence and Wilson effectively off the board, the Niners are basically on the clock now.

I thought it was notable that 49ers brass didn't speak to Saban about Jones and that Najee Harris had spoken to the 49ers quite a bit...so much so he thought he could be their pick at 12.

The pro day Shanahan went to was the pro day for ALL of the Alabama prospects, not Mac Jones. He did not attend Jones individual workout.

Having said all that....it probably doesn't mean a thing. LOL. Shanahan was pretty clear that they were gaming a little bit on which workouts they attended and didn't attend before they moved up to 3. They are aware how Shanahans attendance drives the story.

If Jones is the pick, I'll root for the guy and hope he proves me wrong, but right out of the gate I'll detest the pick. Straight up. I won't defend it. I'll say Shanahan has certain things he likes in a QBs game, but typically he's able to find those traits lower in the draft because he's not looking for an uber athlete.

This move up tells me they want someone whom they think has it all...not just another guy like all the other guys he's had and didn't win a ring with. If they had the 3rd pick initially...ok yeah, I can say saying screw the value and take the guy you want. Trading up and giving up 2 ones and a 3 to do so? I still don't buy it. That will be what I think till the pick goes in and I STILL think it'll be Lance or Fields.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Washington49er":e9vyflg6 said:
Maulbert":e9vyflg6 said:
Washington49er":e9vyflg6 said:
Sac":e9vyflg6 said:

Where's Luck now?

Luck isn't out of the game because he was a bust. He's out of the game because Ryan Grigson is a $h!t.

That and his kneck injuries.

Luck never injured his neck. His last injury was his calf, he chose to retire rather than deal with the pain of rehab. Also, Luck wouldn't have been hurt if Grigson wasn't a dipshit.

olyfan63

Reaction score
If it's Mac Jones, are Niner fans good with that? Or is Justin Fields a better choice? With the Jets trading Darnold, it suggests they are in on Zach Wilson of BYU, and that Wilson won't drop to the Niners at 3. Zach Wilson would no doubt be another instance of BYU QB makes good in SF, like the Steve Young story of a couple decades ago.

Or is all the QB stuff a smokescreen and Niners pick a Left Tackle or yet-another-great-D-Lineman?

Marvin49

Reaction score
olyfan63":1150uqpv said:
If it's Mac Jones, are Niner fans good with that? Or is Justin Fields a better choice? With the Jets trading Darnold, it suggests they are in on Zach Wilson of BYU, and that Wilson won't drop to the Niners at 3. Zach Wilson would no doubt be another instance of BYU QB makes good in SF, like the Steve Young story of a couple decades ago.

Or is all the QB stuff a smokescreen and Niners pick a Left Tackle or yet-another-great-D-Lineman?

Am I good with that? Hell no. I'd hate the pick. I would SOMEWHAT understand it, but I'd hate it.

That said, at that point he's a 49er so I'll support and root for him to be successful, but am not going to sit here and be like "oh, he was who I wanted all along".

I like Fields. I like Lance.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":33792vga said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1380204814001348610[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/ ... 4001348610

LOL 49ers, this guy's supposed to be better than Beathard or Mullens?

The guy will compete with Josh Johnson and Josh Rosen for backup time.

If the Niners keep Jimmy and have the rookie, that's FIVE qbs. Couple guys ain't making the roster.

If Niners trade Jimmy, I gotta thing they are in on another vet, perhaps Bridgewater.

Either way...this guy is third on depth chart at best.

Fade

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3o9f8f2t said:
:49ersmall:
Fade":3o9f8f2t said:
Adding on here.

Since 2000, 70% of QBs taken in the 1st rd have been busts. The numbers point to this being a disaster especially when I look at the prospects available at 3.

Mac Jones the likely pick is not worth such an aggressive trade up. All the QBs that have "hit" in recent years have the ability to create and extend when the initial play doesn't work. Mac Jones is not that player.

Fields and Lance will have disappointing careers. They represent the other end of the extreme/spectrum. They will not be able to run an NFL offense with any sort of consistency, but will make splash plays with their legs from time to time.

Kyle Trask who will go in the 2nd round or later will have a better career than all of them. No need to burn 3 Firsts and a 3rd here, unless the Jets stand pat with Darnold and they come away with Zach Wilson.

You saw Trask in his last 2020 appearance, right? He was making mistakes all over the place. I seriously thought he'd drop to Round 2 after that.

Anyways Niners media is putting their money on Fields being the one. To me that's still a risky bet, but not as risky as Trask.

His only bad game of the season where he played with backups against Oklahoma's 1's. That game, lol.

You don't draft Trask with the 3rd overall pick. The point I was making is you can take best player available at 12, keep your future 1st rounders, and take Trask in the 2nd. Trading all of that draft capitol to take a QB that will ultimately be worse than a guy that's going to go 2nd round or later is stupid.

Fields needs a ton of work, Kyle might be able to get it out of him, but he would have to sit for a year, and then prepare for a bumpy ride in year 2, and maybe Fields will turn the corner in year 3, maybe.

Now that they've done it. They should take Kyle Pitts at #3, and target Trask in the 2nd, but they won't.

Kyle Trask doesn't have a lot of negatives. Most will wish he had a stronger arm, but his arm is strong enough, and that is all that matters in the NFL. Otherwise, Brady, Brees, and Montana wouldn't have had HoF careers. The other ding on him would be he hasn't played enough. He was a career backup in high school, and only started 2 years at Florida, but you don't do what he did at Florida behind a meh offensive line out of empty sets in the SEC when everyone knows you're throwing it, unless you have a lot of talent. He has a lot of room to still grow and get better is how I look at it.

NFL teams have over-corrected in recent years and are now overvaluing the scrambling QBs, the next QB that everyone will be kicking themselves for not drafting will be a pocket QB. I've earmarked Trask as the likely prospect that fits this profile. Trask could very well go in the 3rd or 4th round, but he will be a starter in the NFL in the not too distant future and be very successful when he does get his shot. Except, maybe if he goes to the Bears. Then all bets are off.

Fade

Reaction score
Marvin49":1zxk3q8j said:

I think in the end the Jets take Wilson at 2. If you put a gun to my head my guess would e Niners take Lance.

As for Jimmy, I honestly believe they won’t settle for a 2. It’s not because they are playing hard ball or actually think they end up with a 1, it’s because I think they want to give Lance a year to learn.

They have no need to leak that, though. They're sitting at the 3rd pick. They don't have to fool anyone to create a smokescreen to get their guy. It makes no sense.

I think a likely theory is Kyle wants Mac Jones, and the Front Office would like to take a higher ceiling player with the 3rd pick. We'll just have to wait and see who wins out. Lance, Fields, and Mac Jones will all disappoint at the next level so it doesn't really matter anyway. :D

I see a lot of QB 1st round busts in this draft, and teams are going to get gun shy in future years due to the ramifications of this draft. Where going forward only 1 or 2 QBs will be taken in the 1st. Especially in the top half of the 1st. Potentially 5 QBs going in the top 10 is nuts. These guys are way overvalued, and the teams that take them are going to feel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.