Bears-Seahawks Trade Talks

QuahHawk

Reaction score
3 team trade makes the most sense. I think Seattle wants picks. So if Chicago can trade some of those others players say Mack for Darnold and a 2nd or 3rd we could live with

2021 Chi, 1st, 2nd 3rd
2021 NYJ 2nd
Darnold
2022 Chi 1st, 2nd

We may bite.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is a weird thing to say that Russ going to the Bears means he is more interested in marketing himself than winning.

The Bears were 8-8 last year, we were 12-4 but we all know that we were a paper 12-4.

Half of our own fanbase believes this is a 5-6 win without Russell Wilson. So what would an 8-8 Bears team be WITH Wilson? You don't think that Wilson would add at least 4 wins to that board??

The Bears have one of the best defenses in football AND an offensive head coach. So Wilson gets a very good offense AND the defense that does not put him in big holes.

Last year people tried to tell me we were better than the Bucs. Because the Bucs had a great defense but no offense. Well they had no offense until Tom got there, then they did.

The Bears face a similar challenge and Wilson would solve it almost exactly the same way.

Russ would be in a perfect situation with Chicago. A storied franchise with no other great QB for decades, he comes in and takes them to the playoffs and potentially wins the big one for them - because with his offense and that defense they would be deadly. And Wilson would get credit for almost the whole thing.

In one fell swoop he would resurrect his legacy, get the spotlight he covets, AND maybe not even have to win the championship. He could take the Bears to the Division or Conference game...lose in a shootout and still get all the accolades.

And with Wilson, the Bears would have a good shot at a 10 win season.

Wilson is far, far too competitive to believe he would go somewhere he cannot win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
GrizzBEARS":2888hbja said:
Sgt. Largent":2888hbja said:
GrizzBEARS":2888hbja said:
Hopefully this thing is over soon - whether he's traded to the Bears or not. It is honestly consuming the City. If you make your way to Chicago Bears twitter - it is quite literally the only thing on people's minds. Chicago has been desperate for a bonafide QB1 for decades.

The only way Russell gets what he wants is either he decides his situation here is so untenable that he refuses to show up to camp and forgoes his massive paychecks. Or a trade partner emerges that gives the Hawks an INSANE deal. By insane I mean 2-3 All Pro players + four 1st rounders. Something that crazy that the Hawk's couldn't say no.

That's the only way I see this happening this year. It just makes no sense on the Hawk's end.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I was under the impression that teams could only trade picks 3 years out.

Also, LOL at 2-3 All Pros.

It is LOL, but that's what it'll take.

Why on earth would Pete and John want to go 4-12 for the remainder of their contract extensions because their QB demanded out and they took an average deal not bringing a top 10 QB in return and/or so many picks and players they can't say no?

The Hawk's hold ALL the leverage, so only way they trade Russell is for an insane can't say no deal.....and that's not the Bears I can tell you that.

RustleWillsumTime3

Reaction score
GrizzBEARS":3v1slhtc said:
Hey everyone,

Long time Bears fan here. Not looking for any trouble, just wanted to get a pulse on the current Russell Wilson trade rumors from Seattle fans. How are ya'll feeling? What are you hearing from Seattle media, etc? Is this thing gong to happen or is it a long shot?

Personally, don't think this happens, but as a Bears fan I'm pessimistic on anything the franchise does. They can't get out of their own way. Ryan Pace/Nagy are desperate right now though. They need to figure out something at the QB position or they will be on their way out after next season.

I have a buddy who is in Chicago media and attends pressers at Halas hall regularly and his current pulse of the situation is Bears keep calling, but Seattle hasn't really responded fwiw. Don't know how accurate that is though. Pace has a tight lock and key on Halas Hall and not very often do things get leaked.

Edit: I'd also add that Wilson's supposed reasoning for liking Chicago makes no sense. The Bears do not have an emerging young OL - they are $h!t. Nagy is also not a good young offensive mind. He is a fraud.

Would you be ok if they traded away J Johnson and Mooney in a package deal of picks and players?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2w4k3rpo said:
It is a weird thing to say that Russ going to the Bears means he is more interested in marketing himself than winning.

The Bears were 8-8 last year, we were 12-4 but we all know that we were a paper 12-4.

Half of our own fanbase believes this is a 5-6 win without Russell Wilson. So what would an 8-8 Bears team be WITH Wilson? You don't think that Wilson would add at least 4 wins to that board??

The Bears have one of the best defenses in football AND an offensive head coach. So Wilson gets a very good offense AND the defense that does not put him in big holes.

Last year people tried to tell me we were better than the Bucs. Because the Bucs had a great defense but no offense. Well they had no offense until Tom got there, then they did.

The Bears face a similar challenge and Wilson would solve it almost exactly the same way.

Russ would be in a perfect situation with Chicago. A storied franchise with no other great QB for decades, he comes in and takes them to the playoffs and potentially wins the big one for them - because with his offense and that defense they would be deadly. And Wilson would get credit for almost the whole thing.

In one fell swoop he would resurrect his legacy, get the spotlight he covets, AND maybe not even have to win the championship. He could take the Bears to the Division or Conference game...lose in a shootout and still get all the accolades.

Wilson is far, far too competitive to believe he would go somewhere he cannot win.
While, I certainly don't agree with the 'Hawks being a 'paper' 12-4 but Chicago being a 'legit' 8-8, the real issue is that Chicago can't get Russell without giving up something. (And realistically, to have a chance in the Russell Wilson sweepstakes, they'll have to give up a good amount.)

Knowing the types of players Pete likes and the focus of his philosophy, what are the odds that Seattle would want some of the important pieces on the defensive side of Chicago's team? This isn't the Tampa Bay situation because Russell isn't a free agent. They can't just sign Wilson and worry only about money.

They are going to lose players and draft picks. So how do they improve their O-line while also not knowing what type of D they have if Seattle takes some of their key guys? (Or a third team takes them so that Chicago actually has decent draft picks to trade for?)

BASF

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3h3u6a5g said:

The only way Chicago pulls off such a deal is losing two or three of their best defensive players.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Loooooooooong shot at best that a trade happens, IMO. To Chicago....probably even longer due to what would be required in return to make it happen. Declining cap year, cap hit a trade would result in, can’t see the Seahawks looking to rebuild for 1-2 seasons given Pets’s age, even with 5 years left on his contract.

knownone

Reaction score
So, if you look at the Rich Hill trade value chart https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp, which is modeled after Bill Belichick's trade value chart, it becomes really hard to foresee a trade happening between the Bears and Seattle.

Background
A) Seattle supposedly considered trading Wilson for the #1 overall pick in 2018 but ultimately deemed they weren't getting enough value back. Since Wilson is 3 years older, we can assume the value of a Wilson trade now is roughly around the value of the 1st overall pick.

B) The value of a future pick depreciates by 32 picks worth of value for every year until that draft.

Analysis
The first overall pick is worth 1000 points. So, without even considering players, let's look at the value of the Bear's first three draft picks in 2021, 2022, and 2023.

2021: Pick #20 - 264, Pick #52 - 109, Pick #83 - 52 : Total Value: 425
2022: Round 1 - 109, Round 2 - 53, Round 3 - 25, Total Value: 187
2023: Round 1 - 53, Round 2 - 25, Round 3 - 12, Total Value: 90
Total value: 702 points.

Now, that trade on its own would be an insane amount of draft capital for the Bears to give up, and it doesn't come close to the value Seattle declined to trade Russell for in 2018, which would have been more than 1000 points.

Furthermore, I don't see any young players that could offset the draft value without gutting the team. For example, Roquan Smith is a great player who is probably worth a first-round pick in most trade scenarios; however, he plays a position that Seattle is relatively loaded at. I doubt Seattle would place a lot of value on him in a trade scenario. Mack is only an asset for Seattle if they feel like they can land an established QB or move into the top 10 of the draft. Even if the Bears made the ridiculous trade above, Seattle would barely be able to move into the top 10 of the draft without a guarantee that they'd even get a guy they like.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
RustleWillsumTime3":2s8lw2a8 said:
GrizzBEARS":2s8lw2a8 said:
Hey everyone,

Long time Bears fan here. Not looking for any trouble, just wanted to get a pulse on the current Russell Wilson trade rumors from Seattle fans. How are ya'll feeling? What are you hearing from Seattle media, etc? Is this thing gong to happen or is it a long shot?

Personally, don't think this happens, but as a Bears fan I'm pessimistic on anything the franchise does. They can't get out of their own way. Ryan Pace/Nagy are desperate right now though. They need to figure out something at the QB position or they will be on their way out after next season.

I have a buddy who is in Chicago media and attends pressers at Halas hall regularly and his current pulse of the situation is Bears keep calling, but Seattle hasn't really responded fwiw. Don't know how accurate that is though. Pace has a tight lock and key on Halas Hall and not very often do things get leaked.

Edit: I'd also add that Wilson's supposed reasoning for liking Chicago makes no sense. The Bears do not have an emerging young OL - they are $h!t. Nagy is also not a good young offensive mind. He is a fraud.

Would you be ok if they traded away J Johnson and Mooney in a package deal of picks and players?

Ultimately, yes I would. Would hate to lose that young talent, but with them tagging Robinson and Johnson has shoulder issues (this is why he fell to the 2nd round) I'd be okay with it.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2jyyi52z said:

You (probably on purpose) missed his point in the midst of your white hot Pete hate.

Russ' talk regards wanting a better o-line and an offensive mind. How does Chicago fit that bill?

His point was that Russ doesnt REALLY care about those things. He is looking for a place for he and his wife to shine. Chicago offers that in spades compared to Seattle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2gy9jmo1 said:
His point was that Russ doesnt REALLY care about those things. He is looking for a place for he and his wife to shine. Chicago offers that in spades compared to Seattle.

I don't know how much this sentiment rings true in the modern media world, and the NFL in general.

Aaron Rodgers plays in Green Bay.................Green Bay. Dude has one of the biggest, if not THE biggest media and endorsement presence in the league.

So if Russell thinks Chicago or any other bigger media market means more opportunity? Then I don' see it. But I'm sure Ciara is chirping in his ear. So she can do more small rural fair tours lip syncing her one song, or whatever it is she does.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1xefmfp7 said:
Hawkpower":1xefmfp7 said:

I don't know how much this sentiment rings true in the modern media world, and the NFL in general.

Aaron Rodgers plays in Green Bay.................Green Bay. Dude has one of the biggest, if not THE biggest media and endorsement presence in the league.

So if Russell thinks Chicago or any other bigger media market means more opportunity? Then I don' see it. But I'm sure Ciara is chirping in his ear. So she can do more small rural fair tours lip syncing her one song, or whatever it is she does.

Agreed I'm not sure it matters all that much in reality (at least for Russ)

But this may not be all about RW himself.

He/They seem to think it matters.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
Another interesting wrinkle to this - if Seattle is demanding some of the trade packages mentioned here, why wouldn't the Bears just call up Houston and offer them 3 firsts + 2 defensive studs instead? End of the day, Houston is in full on rebuild mode while Seattle is in win now mode.

Watson is 25. Wilson is 32 (and will be 33 by the time next league year starts).

Watson has a no trade clause though and may feel slighted the Bears didn't draft him in 2017. Lol, I do not envy the position Ryan Pace is in currently.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The only way I see any good deal for Seattle is in a 3 way where Seattle gets Watson if Chicago wants Russ they’ll have to trade a combo of picks and talent to Houston.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3s7kuzbh said:
The only way I see any good deal for Seattle is in a 3 way where Seattle gets Watson if Chicago wants Russ they’ll have to trade a combo of picks and talent to Houston.
I don't know. 3 ways often sound better on paper than they turn out to be.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
How many 3 team trades has there even been in the NFL?

I feel like it's almost unheard of.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
How many 3 team trades has there even been in the NFL?

I feel like it's almost unheard of.

Granted - The Wilson/Watson thing is a bit of an anomaly so can't rule anything out.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Idk I hope y’all pony it up and get him cuz I’m sick of his ass.

Hope you enjoy QB’s who can’t read two high safeties, and refuses to take check downs.

OP
OP
GrizzBEARS

GrizzBEARS

Reaction score
Throwdown":yha6fpb8 said:
Idk I hope y’all pony it up and get him cuz I’m sick of his ass.

Hope you enjoy QB’s who can’t read two high safeties, and refuses to take check downs.

Lol bruh, as opposed to Mitch Trubisky who can't throw the ball 10 yards and can hardly make his first read?

Wait until you have to go through decades of QB hell and then get back to me. Seahawks should be doing everything in their power to appease Russell.