Bears-Seahawks Trade Talks

vonstout

Reaction score
Look at the trade value posted above. 3 late first rounder and Smith, Johnson, and Mooney still might not be enough.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
vonstout":52dv7xax said:
Look at the trade value posted above. 3 late first rounder and Smith, Johnson, and Mooney still might not be enough.

I don't know what there offering do you i think 3 first round picks and a great young player without a huge contract is a reasonable minimum starting point.

TraderGary

Reaction score
vonstout":3a43hnf3 said:
A Watson trade will costa team more than Wilson, so thinking we will end up with him ain’t gonna happen. If Russ really wants out, I think he would accept a trade to the Jets or Miami. I don’t think he’s going to get traded this year unless we get a deal we can’t refuse

And I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Teams like the Bears are in desperation mode, and Nagy and Pace know they need to make a splash kind of deal and a playoff run next season in order to remain employed beyond 2021.

Couple weeks ago I would have agreed with you that there is no way Russ is getting traded this year. I am now nearly convinced that it's going to happen despite the cap hit this year.

I would love to do a deal with the Jets. I think they can offer the best package that would enable us to draft our QB of the future. I'd also be willing to take a flyer on Darnold who Pete seems to like. Let Darnold and the rookie battle it out in the preseason and the best man wins.

And of course NY would be a perfect place for Russ and Ciara to market themselves and their brand. They want the limelight. What better place for that than New York?

The only question would be, would Russ be willing to go to a team that is still very much in rebuilding mode, and with a rookie and defensive minded HC? That's definitely questionable.

chris98251

Reaction score
AMAZING HOW BAD READING COMPREHENSION IS !

Are the jets on the list of now 3 teams?

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just remember everyone that told me there was no way this trade could happen because it would be stupid.

No way Carroll was stupid and arrogant enough to force this trade that makes no sense?

This was just a bunch of smoke?

I am blinded by Carroll hate (I only started hating Carroll when he decided to trade our Michael Jordan btw)?

Remember that.

Because IF this trade happens it proves that YES Carroll IS stupid and arrogant enough to force this dumb trade.

But nothing to see here...right?

TraderGary

Reaction score
chris98251":3gdfrlos said:
AMAZING HOW BAD READING COMPREHENSION IS !

Are the jets on the list of now 3 teams?

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, just because the Jet's weren't on his original 4-team (now 3-team) preference list doesn't mean he wouldn't be open to going there or somewhere else in order to get out from under Carroll.

TraderGary

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3gmuwb94 said:
Just remember everyone that told me there was no way this trade could happen because it would be stupid.

No way Carroll was stupid and arrogant enough to force this trade that makes no sense?

This was just a bunch of smoke?

I am blinded by Carroll hate (I only started hating Carroll when he decided to trade our Michael Jordan btw)?

Remember that.

Because IF this trade happens it proves that YES Carroll IS stupid and arrogant enough to force this dumb trade.

But nothing to see here...right?
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that Russ is gone. And if they're going to move him, they should do it this year while his value is highest. The longer he stays in Seattle and the older he gets, the less value we're going to receive in return.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Disagree.

People keep pointing out the cap hit isn't awful. What? $7M? $9M

But you haven't paid your QB yet.

If you get rid of Russ you have to pay another QB, and so the hit is whatever the hit is PLUS THE COST OF THE NEW QB.

They are going to find that Russ is actually a bargain. Crappy QBs will get half of what Russ gets. Maybe more. Great QBs will get more.

You cannot trade him this year unless you want to have almost nothing left to spend. Which would be hilarious because the stripped down team would struggle, creating the high level draft pick we actually need to get another QB. But it would go to the Jets....

Trading Russ this year is awful awful idea.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Trading Russ frees up a ton of cap next year, and you can easily use that to make moves to make room this year.

Anyone saying the cap makes this prohibitive is either in denial or doesn't grasp the multiple paths teams can take to work it in their favor.

Not having this settled one way or another makes this a place few FAs will want to come to. All holding him another year with the intent of trading him next (just to have a $13m less cap hit next year?) does is ensure this is a lame duck year, basically, with constant drama and the potential for a toxic situation in the locker room.

So, if you aren't trading him now, you'd better give him what he wants and do something symbolic like sign him to an extension.

Otherwise you have a painful wasted season and trade him for less next season, all to save $13m.

If that's the move, fire everybody.

TraderGary

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":xricy2bo said:
Disagree.

People keep pointing out the cap hit isn't awful. What? $7M? $9M

But you haven't paid your QB yet.

If you get rid of Russ you have to pay another QB, and so the hit is whatever the hit is PLUS THE COST OF THE NEW QB.

They are going to find that Russ is actually a bargain. Crappy QBs will get half of what Russ gets. Maybe more. Great QBs will get more.

You cannot trade him this year unless you want to have almost nothing left to spend. Which would be hilarious because the stripped down team would struggle, creating the high level draft pick we actually need to get another QB. But it would go to the Jets....

Trading Russ this year is awful awful idea.

I'm no expert when it comes to salary cap issues, but I know enough to know that it can be manipulated to some extent by restructuring contracts of players on the current roster and carrying some of that money forward to future years.

Also, If it was Darnold coming back in return along with picks, he's still on his rookie contract and is slated to make $920,000 in 2021. However, per overthecap.com, his cap hit is almost $10M. Does that carry forward with the new team? I honestly don't know the answer to that.

If so, he would have to be restructured, as I imagine any other veteran QB coming back in a trade would. Of course if they were to get the Jets #2 overall pick, would they roll the dice on a rookie the way they did with Russ, at which point the salary cap wouldn't be an issue in regard to the QB position?

The Bears are currently 17.5M over the cap, and they're the team we consistently hear the most about in the RW sweepstakes. How would they fit Wilson under their cap and why couldn't we do the same with whoever we end up with? Cap wise, we are in much better shape than the Bears are at nearly 18M UNDER the cap vs 17.5M OVER the cap for the Bears.

Bottom line, I don't want to lose Russ. Franchise and future HOF QB's don't come along every day. But if he's truly unhappy in Seattle, it's time to move on. I don't want an unhappy QB leading our team in 2021, and he deserves to go to a team who has a clue how to best utilize him. I would love to see what he can do in a modern offense that's built around his unique skillset. I wish that was in Seattle, but unfortunately that will never happen under PC and I highly doubt he's going anywhere.

TraderGary

Reaction score
pinksheets":20td71s5 said:
Trading Russ frees up a ton of cap next year, and you can easily use that to make moves to make room this year.

Anyone saying the cap makes this prohibitive is either in denial or doesn't grasp the multiple paths teams can take to work it in their favor.

Not having this settled one way or another makes this a place few FAs will want to come to. All holding him another year with the intent of trading him next (just to have a $13m less cap hit next year?) does is ensure this is a lame duck year, basically, with constant drama and the potential for a toxic situation in the locker room.

So, if you aren't trading him now, you'd better give him what he wants and do something symbolic like sign him to an extension.

Otherwise you have a painful wasted season and trade him for less next season, all to save $13m.

Nailed it

Fade

Reaction score
Trading Russ is an awful idea, but Emperor Pete cares more about subservience than what is best for the team.

This is an Emperor has no clothes situation upcoming I'm afraid. I look forward to the local media & Pete pundants praising the trade, and declaring the unbelievers as blasphemers and heretics. As the team faceplants into irrelevance immediately. Into the abyss they shall stay until Lord Pete retires, whenever that happens. Lord Pete would like to coach well into his eighties so it may be awhile.

It would be a far easier road to extend some guys and lower some cap numbers, move some money, tap into the gargantuan amount of space they have in '22 & '23, so you can add some studs on the O-Line this year. Than to trade Wilson after already mortgaging the future for Adams and attempt a full rebuild. But that latter maintains Emperor Pete's status as the almighty god of football who cannot be questioned. While the former surrenders power to Wilson, and makes him 2nd fiddle to #3 in his mind.

Vegas taking Wilson's trade destination off of the board & CHI Super Bowl odds going way up points to this thing really having legs.

I just want to see the looks on Jodi Allen & the folks over at Vulcan's faces as the team gets run into the ground over then next couple of years if they do indeed go ahead with this nonsense.

TraderGary

Reaction score
Fade":1a7y1w3e said:
Trading Russ is an awful idea, but Emperor Pete cares more about subservience than what is best for the team.

This is an Emperor has no clothes situation upcoming I'm afraid. I look forward to the local media & Pete pundants praising the trade, and declaring the unbelievers as blasphemers and heretics. As the team faceplants into irrelevance immediately. Into the abyss they shall stay until Lord Pete retires, whenever that happens. Lord Pete would like to coach well into his eighties so it may be awhile.

It would be a far easier road to extend some guys and lower some cap numbers, move some money, tap into the gargantuan amount of space they have in '22 & '23, so you can add some studs on the O-Line this year. Than to trade Wilson after already mortgaging the future for Adams and attempt a full rebuild. But that latter maintains Emperor Pete's status as the almighty god of football who cannot be questioned. While the former surrenders power to Wilson, and makes him 2nd fiddle to #3 in his mind.

Vegas taking Wilson's trade destination off of the board & CHI Super Bowl odds going way up points to this thing really having legs.

I just want to see the looks on Jodi Allen & the folks over at Vulcan's faces as the team gets run into the ground over then next couple of years if they do indeed go ahead with this nonsense.
I echo most of what you said. I think a trade is inevitable at this point. When you have a HC with no one to answer to and no accountability whatsover, this is what you end up with. I blame Jody for this mess by signing a 70-year old coach who seems completely out of touch with today's NFL, to a ridiculous 5-year extension. PA would have never done that.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'd like to apologize for some of my fellow .netters Grizz. Since Pete Carroll has turned this team into a perennial playoff team, they get very angry every time we don't win the Super bowl -- and blame Pete Carroll.

It's also offseason, and there's nothing happening until April, and then July after that; so they'll be screaming for every free agent under-27 or that went to a pro bowl once or was a 4-5 star recruit out of high school. Because we, unlike the rest of the teams in the NFL, have a $700M Salary cap and a 153-man roster.

Ciara, like Yoko Ono and many other megastars with husbands struggling for recognition in their careers, has got our once consummate professional QB airing grievances and blaming team mates instead of taking responsibility for his own failures and focusing on a "championship offseason". This is a great career building strategy as demonstrated by other Seahawk greats that have gone on to win many more Super bowls like Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, and Earl Thomas.

But I digress.

Ultimately, Russ will be our quarterback next season. We will have questions at OL and DL in the pre-season like always. And we will return to the playoffs like always. What remains to be seen is if Russell maintains respect in the locker room, if he turns into turnover machine trying to make big plays instead of first downs, or if he again focuses on being a QB instead of a brand.

But let's have this conversation again next year when salary caps, draft capital, and dead money align. He might be a lot cheaper by then too...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If you are right OTW, that would be amazing.

But if not, Pete is garbage.

We will see which prediction ends up being more valid.

kf3339

Reaction score
Fade":3gzq709x said:
GrizzBEARS":3gzq709x said:
Hey everyone,

Long time Bears fan here. Not looking for any trouble, just wanted to get a pulse on the current Russell Wilson trade rumors from Seattle fans. How are ya'll feeling? What are you hearing from Seattle media, etc? Is this thing gong to happen or is it a long shot?

Personally, don't think this happens, but as a Bears fan I'm pessimistic on anything the franchise does. They can't get out of their own way. Ryan Pace/Nagy are desperate right now though. They need to figure out something at the QB position or they will be on their way out after next season.

I have a buddy who is in Chicago media and attends pressers at Halas hall regularly and his current pulse of the situation is Bears keep calling, but Seattle hasn't really responded fwiw. Don't know how accurate that is though. Pace has a tight lock and key on Halas Hall and not very often do things get leaked.

Edit: I'd also add that Wilson's supposed reasoning for liking Chicago makes no sense. The Bears do not have an emerging young OL - they are $h!t. Nagy is also not a good young offensive mind. He is a fraud.

Pete is a control freak, anyone who has ever fallen out of line has been removed, coaches or players. Logically, it makes no sense to trade Wilson, but Pete is the Emperor of the Seahawks. No one can tell him "No." I'm leaning towards the unthinkable happening at this point.

Wilson wants to be with an offensive minded head coach that knows QBs. The one common link between all 4 teams he's llsted. Payton-Gruden-McCarthy-Nagy, all QB guys. The Bears need to get an upgrade at LT and they would be the best offensive line unit Wilson has ever played with, the bar is that low. Even with Leno at LT it still is arguably the best O-Line he would have ever played with.

I've seen Nagy make Trubisky look way better than what he is. Making the playoffs twice with him is an achievement. Just like McVay did for Goff, coaches can only mask bad players for so long. You're selling your team way too short. You're a QB and a LT away from being legit contenders. Wilson makes everyone better around him, he elevates a team. He doesn't need things to be perfect to play well, the Seahawks have taken him for granted for far too long and refused to invest in protecting him for YEARS. Instead choosing to blow massive amounts of cap space on JAGs, and trading a QB's ransom for a box safety. They handcuff him in an antiquated offense out of the 1970's, then ask him to bail out the failure in the 4th quarter when they unleash him to go win the game. Wilson is tired of it. He wants off Pete's carousel of crazy.

^ This is more true than a lot of Hawk fans realize. The whole situation is a PC fail. No other way to look at it.

TraderGary

Reaction score
kf3339":15ri6a6h said:
Fade":15ri6a6h said:
GrizzBEARS":15ri6a6h said:
Hey everyone,

Long time Bears fan here. Not looking for any trouble, just wanted to get a pulse on the current Russell Wilson trade rumors from Seattle fans. How are ya'll feeling? What are you hearing from Seattle media, etc? Is this thing gong to happen or is it a long shot?

Personally, don't think this happens, but as a Bears fan I'm pessimistic on anything the franchise does. They can't get out of their own way. Ryan Pace/Nagy are desperate right now though. They need to figure out something at the QB position or they will be on their way out after next season.

I have a buddy who is in Chicago media and attends pressers at Halas hall regularly and his current pulse of the situation is Bears keep calling, but Seattle hasn't really responded fwiw. Don't know how accurate that is though. Pace has a tight lock and key on Halas Hall and not very often do things get leaked.

Edit: I'd also add that Wilson's supposed reasoning for liking Chicago makes no sense. The Bears do not have an emerging young OL - they are $h!t. Nagy is also not a good young offensive mind. He is a fraud.

Pete is a control freak, anyone who has ever fallen out of line has been removed, coaches or players. Logically, it makes no sense to trade Wilson, but Pete is the Emperor of the Seahawks. No one can tell him "No." I'm leaning towards the unthinkable happening at this point.

Wilson wants to be with an offensive minded head coach that knows QBs. The one common link between all 4 teams he's llsted. Payton-Gruden-McCarthy-Nagy, all QB guys. The Bears need to get an upgrade at LT and they would be the best offensive line unit Wilson has ever played with, the bar is that low. Even with Leno at LT it still is arguably the best O-Line he would have ever played with.

I've seen Nagy make Trubisky look way better than what he is. Making the playoffs twice with him is an achievement. Just like McVay did for Goff, coaches can only mask bad players for so long. You're selling your team way too short. You're a QB and a LT away from being legit contenders. Wilson makes everyone better around him, he elevates a team. He doesn't need things to be perfect to play well, the Seahawks have taken him for granted for far too long and refused to invest in protecting him for YEARS. Instead choosing to blow massive amounts of cap space on JAGs, and trading a QB's ransom for a box safety. They handcuff him in an antiquated offense out of the 1970's, then ask him to bail out the failure in the 4th quarter when they unleash him to go win the game. Wilson is tired of it. He wants off Pete's carousel of crazy.

^ This is more true than a lot of Hawk fans realize. The whole situation is a PC fail. No other way to look at it.
Completely agree

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Own The West":4hrh4fjs said:
I'd like to apologize for some of my fellow .netters Grizz. Since Pete Carroll has turned this team into a perennial playoff team, they get very angry every time we don't win the Super bowl -- and blame Pete Carroll.

It's also offseason, and there's nothing happening until April, and then July after that; so they'll be screaming for every free agent under-27 or that went to a pro bowl once or was a 4-5 star recruit out of high school. Because we, unlike the rest of the teams in the NFL, have a $700M Salary cap and a 153-man roster.

Ciara, like Yoko Ono and many other megastars with husbands struggling for recognition in their careers, has got our once consummate professional QB airing grievances and blaming team mates instead of taking responsibility for his own failures and focusing on a "championship offseason". This is a great career building strategy as demonstrated by other Seahawk greats that have gone on to win many more Super bowls like Richard Sherman, Michael Bennett, and Earl Thomas.

But I digress.

Ultimately, Russ will be our quarterback next season. We will have questions at OL and DL in the pre-season like always. And we will return to the playoffs like always. What remains to be seen is if Russell maintains respect in the locker room, if he turns into turnover machine trying to make big plays instead of first downs, or if he again focuses on being a QB instead of a brand.

But let's have this conversation again next year when salary caps, draft capital, and dead money align. He might be a lot cheaper by then too...

This ^^^^^ :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pinksheets":1iixr2sf said:

I think Russell has already damaged our free agent signings.

Why would any player all things being equal, especially on the offensive side of the ball want to commit to playing in this dysfunction for the next 2-3 years not knowing if Russell's gone or not?

So by airing his grievances through the press, Russell damaged his own cause, which was to get better players around him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except that was likely not Wilson's goal.

It was to remove Pete's oppressive thumb from the offense, and ideally to get out from underneath Pete altogether.

Wilson wants a chance to have a coach that helps, not hinders him.

He picked a bunch of places he hoped would be more likely.

Going public was absolutely the right move for Wilson, because trying to get changes made in house apparently did not work.

If Wilson tried and was ignored, then went public? The blame is on Pete and not Wilson.

Latest posts