Draft assessment

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hoxrox":318bnqmb said:
The FO job is not to placate Russell, or any individual player. Their job is to set up the TEAM for success. The moves they've made in this off season indicate to me that is exactly what they are doing.

Really? The one guy thats the difference between 4 to 5 wins to 10 to 12 shouldnt be looked after and satisfied with his wishes? He is the one player that the coaches and FO should be bending over backwards to make happy. Not sure how that escapes you. A once in a generation QB and he's just another player to you. Sheesh.

Do you actually see the Seahawks as being any better this season than last? I sure dont. Its going to be the same old same old.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hoxrox":abzpl2te said:
Incorrect. Adams was brought in BEFORE Bruce Irvin was injured.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot about the irrelevant Irvin being signed to be the savior. He was drafted way to early when he was a rookie (by Seattle) and he never really improved. I thought so little of that resign that I plum forgot about him. Thanks for reminding me.

nwHawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":268tjtoh said:
Do you actually see the Seahawks as being any better this season than last? I sure dont. Its going to be the same old same old.

How do you not see them as better? Russ is Russ. The OL is much better. Mike Iupoti was a shell last year with nothing behind him. No reasonable back up for Duane Brown or a swing tackle. Cedric Ogbuehi was new the team but a huge bust in Cinci, but he started to look okay (not great, but okay) towards the end of the season.

The whole group of running backs were hurt. 2020 WRs were really weak after Tyler and DK. David Moore was at best a #4 or #5 on most teams. TEs were well below expectations. Uncle Will was working back from injury, Greg Olson was a disappointment, Jacob Hollister was a decent pass catching TE who played more than he should have - and he missed may too many blocks. Game after game it was mind blowing.

The defensive line was really young and Reed had underperformed the year before. LBs outside of Bobby and KJ were a complete unknown to start the season, but Jordyn Brooks finished the year as a rising star. Before Blair went down the '20 secondary was compared to the next LOB, and they had many thunderous hits. Lack of depth showed last year big time.

All the top players return again this year, and the young players will be improved. I think Collier and Robinson will look pretty good. Robinson is working with Cliff Avril, which is great. Kerry Hyder is an underrated player that should fit the Bennet role real nice. To me, adding Hyder to rotate around and allowing Poona to play more 3-Tech is an upgrade to Reed. Corner is a big question mark, but Pete usually does a pretty good job getting those guys to play.

Offense has to be better. Gabe Jackson is a big upgrade and Pocic should be healthy again. Swing tackles will be better, but I'd like to get another stout back up guard. TEs will be better. Everett, Dissley, & Parkinson (healthy and stronger) will fit Waldron just fine. I'd expect more Big TE (the Fant role) when the need arises.

This rant post is way too dang long, but I just don't see why you think we'll be the same or worse than last year?

Barring injuries is this team could win 14 games next year, before the playoffs. The evolution of the running game will dictate the playoffs. Can't wait for a cold beer and gamedays!

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I don't think anyone believes Pocic is as good as Linsley and I didn't get the impression that the other dude said that nor was that was his point...I think he's just trying to say that most centers are going to give up pressures, even the all-pro ones. So the margin in stats is not that far apart. Hell no is Pocic better. We all know that. I do think a bad-ass center is very important to a team and QB. What's missing from Pocic is the ability to be a game changer, which he is not. He is clearly an average Center at best. However, I don't think he is THE problem. Just like how you don't think Moore is THE problem in THE passing game. Everyone on the line was failing towards the end of the year. It's a combo of bad coaching, bad play calling, and bad play.

Mecole Hartman and Scotty Miller were 4th or 5th options on their teams. What was missing from last year was a viable #3 option. I don't care whether it WR, TE, RB being #3 options, just somebody emerge... Nobody besides Lockett or Metcalf was effective. David Moore's production as a #3 option was not impactful enough. He was not a threat game in and game out. You telling me that a little over 400 yards as a #3 option was good enough? That's about 25 yards a game...He had some TDs, he did a great job for us there. Hartman and Miller had more yards as lesser options. At least this upcoming season, the Hawks have explosive dudes with play making ability as #3 candidates (Eskridge, Everett).

Whether it is TE, RB, WR you need a 3rd option. With 2, we saw teams take out 1 dude and let the other one eat. What that does to a team is it allows the def. to dictate where the ball is going pre-snap. You take away one side and allow completions to another part of the field. Makes it so easy for defenses to play and make tackles. That was the impact of not having true options besides 2 players. In fact, we saw it in the SB. KC's oline was trash but their WRs were also trash. Hardman, Watkins, Robinson failed to do anything....The Bucs employed almost the same tactical defense of taking away Hill and let Kelce eat. They dared anyone else to do anything. So I don't think any average joe can make a true difference. However you can mask an average or below average center a little bit better.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":1k1g7ph9 said:
hoxrox":1k1g7ph9 said:

Oh yeah. I almost forgot about the irrelevant Irvin being signed to be the savior. He was drafted way to early when he was a rookie (by Seattle) and he never really improved. I thought so little of that resign that I plum forgot about him. Thanks for reminding me.

Why make overstatements like this? Just to inflame? It's dishonest and wrong.

I'm starting to realize that you're always disappointed because you have set up impossible scenarios in your own mind, then they don't happen. Explains much.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
nwHawk":39v3lulf said:
This rant post is way too dang long, but I just don't see why you think we'll be the same or worse than last year?

Pete Carroll

Barring injuries is this team could win 14 games next year, before the playoffs. The evolution of the running game will dictate the playoffs. Can't wait for a cold beer and gamedays!

Seattle might possibly be the worst team in the NFC West (depending on the improvement of Murray). When they dont meet your expectations, how long are you going to sit scratching your head?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":14hnafjl said:
pittpnthrs":14hnafjl said:
hoxrox":14hnafjl said:

I'm starting to realize that you're always disappointed because you have set up impossible scenarios in your own mind, then they don't happen. Explains much.

Irvin was brought up. Was he or was he not brought in to fix the pass rush issue?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":26797h5k said:
Ad Hawk":26797h5k said:
pittpnthrs":26797h5k said:
hoxrox":26797h5k said:

Irvin was brought up. Was he or was he not brought in to fix the pass rush issue?

Fix? Who ever said that? He was brought in to contribute to a pass rush.

Your term "Savior" was ludicrous, and indicates your fallacious thinking. Only you ever assumed he was some kind of Savior or you never would have used the term. Again, no wonder your posts reek of depression.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3prxgzq9 said:
pittpnthrs":3prxgzq9 said:
Ad Hawk":3prxgzq9 said:
pittpnthrs":3prxgzq9 said:

Your term "Savior" was ludicrous, and indicates your fallacious thinking. Only you ever assumed he was some kind of Savior or you never would have used the term. Again, no wonder your posts reek of depression.

All the talk was how Irvin and Mayowa was going to fix the pass rush issues.

My posts reek of truth. Fans just dont want to accept it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":v5524mqp said:
Ad Hawk":v5524mqp said:
pittpnthrs":v5524mqp said:
Ad Hawk":v5524mqp said:

Your posts reek of hyperbole, half-truths, and strawmen, which is exactly what everyone is telling you. :D

By the way, Mayowa did make the pass rush better, and Irvin probably would have from SAM if he hadn't gotten injured early. Don't misrepresent the facts. You think 1 pressure a game cripples an offense, so how about Mayowa's six sacks on 50% snaps played? Yet another hole in your logic.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3q2xq8sv said:
pittpnthrs":3q2xq8sv said:
Ad Hawk":3q2xq8sv said:
pittpnthrs":3q2xq8sv said:

Your posts reek of hyperbole, half-truths, and strawmen, which is exactly what everyone is telling you. :D

By the way, Mayowa did make the pass rush better, and Irvin probably would have from SAM if he hadn't gotten injured early. Don't misrepresent the facts. You think 1 pressure a game cripples an offense, so how about Mayowa's six sacks on 50% snaps played? Yet another hole in your logic.

Eh, you think the #3 receiver is absolutely critical for NFL success. Its all good. Regardless of all our squabblings, we all know how the season is destined to end. Another early playoff exit IF they even make it. At least we can all agree on that.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3gfykwu9 said:
Eh, you think the #3 receiver is absolutely critical for NFL success. Its all good. Regardless of all our squabblings, we all know how the season is destined to end. Another early playoff exit IF they even make it. At least we can all agree on that.

If the team is improved, which can and has been objectively shown, then your premise is rejected.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2n72v5h6 said:
Maelstrom787":2n72v5h6 said:
pittpnthrs":2n72v5h6 said:
Ad Hawk":2n72v5h6 said:

It's a pretty necessary piece to go far into the postseason, bud. You're just arguing to argue. You know you're wrong, and you've got nothing to refute it.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":34ir3db8 said:
pittpnthrs":34ir3db8 said:
Maelstrom787":34ir3db8 said:
pittpnthrs":34ir3db8 said:

It's a pretty necessary piece to go far into the postseason, bud. You're just arguing to argue. You know you're wrong, and you've got nothing to refute it.

Except for the two examples you gave me (Super Bowl teams) that had very similar numbers to Moore last season, but you keep believing in everything the team does and thinking things are going to change bud.

nwHawk

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is Russ normally doesn’t throw guys open, he throws when guys are open (or lower risk situations). A bad #3 WR definitely allows the safeties to cheat making it harder for DK and Tyler.

hoxrox

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":31qfnvxe said:
hoxrox":31qfnvxe said:
The FO job is not to placate Russell, or any individual player. Their job is to set up the TEAM for success. The moves they've made in this off season indicate to me that is exactly what they are doing.

Really? The one guy thats the difference between 4 to 5 wins to 10 to 12 shouldnt be looked after and satisfied with his wishes? He is the one player that the coaches and FO should be bending over backwards to make happy. Not sure how that escapes you. A once in a generation QB and he's just another player to you. Sheesh.

Russ IS getting the support he needs to succeed. Just not in the way you think he should. I won't bother trying to convince you because you've already revealed the inability to process information objectively.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Seahawks suck, they have never drafted anyone as late as they could have. Big Walt could have been picked up as an UDFA for $1,000 and a ham sandwich. Only other teams scout and pick players properly. If a player goes 1 pick before us, we should have traded up and if we select one, we could have traded down and still got him 170 rounds later.

I think I summed up the feelings of many posters on this forum so there is no need to listen to them anymore.

Seriously though, how many highly regarded picks turn out to be busts? All of the talking heads were happy with that LB we drafted a few years ago. Can't even remember his name he sucked so bad. Truth is, we will find out later if the picks were good or not. I will hold judgement until at least a few facts are in.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Yup, so true. A can’t miss blue chipper....straight line stiff Aaron Curry!

AgentDib

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":dhq20evm said:
Except for the two examples you gave me (Super Bowl teams) that had very similar numbers to Moore last season
Except David Moore is now on the Panthers. Philip Dorsett is on the Jaguars, Greg Olsen is retired and Josh Gordon has been released. Do you honestly believe that our WR room was in good shape prior to the draft?

It should tell you how empty our WR room was that three of the top UDFA WRs picked Seattle despite us drafting a WR. There's a good chance that at least two of those UDFAs will make the team if we carry six receivers again. You also need to consider that high variance in what receivers are asked to do. Eskridge is a high YAC guy who we needed last season; Lockett has great hands but he only had 2 broken tackles the entire season in 2020.

Teceiver is still a need for us despite all the new additions. Unless the rookies show up extremely well in camp, which is possible with their skill sets, then I expect we will add another veteran receiver to the mix.

Nunya

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":36co2h4n said:
Maelstrom787":36co2h4n said:
pittpnthrs":36co2h4n said:
Ad Hawk":36co2h4n said:

No, that is NOT something we can all agree on. The fact that you even made that comment does nothing more than to expose your own depressing pessimistic viewpoint and lack of logical thinking. You seem to not quite grasp how hard it is for a team to reach the SB, let alone win it. The Seahawks have been a competitive team for almost every season since Carroll has been coach and there is nothing to indicate that they will not be this season as well. ANY team that makes the play-offs has just as good of a chance to make the SB as any other team. The fact that there are some teams that do great in regular season, only to get quickly knocked out of the play-offs normally has little to do with coaching. There are many other factors that more often contribute that have nothing to do with coaching.