Sherman arrested.

toffee

Reaction score
Our Sherm has always been different, he said things that didn't need to be said, "sorry receiver", "I'm better at life than you."; "I don't really have a relationship with Russell" etc.,

At this point, he is not really better at life with pending trial and possible prison time, and he should want to have a excellent relationship with Russ as that would help with his employment.

TreeRon

Reaction score
"Anyone dedicated enough can become an engineer"
I knew enough guys at university that came as freshmen to be engineers only to graduate in something else. Engineering is a tough major and you better be somewhat math gifted to get through it.

BTW, I know plenty of engineers that know jack about almost anything else.

TreeRon

Reaction score
I knew enough guys at university that came as freshmen to be engineers only to graduate in something else. Engineering is a tough major and you better be somewhat math gifted to get through it.

chris98251

Reaction score
TreeRon":1omxba78 said:

I know plenty of Engineers that know jack about what they say they know about, take them out of a automated program or book and into the real world and you get this.

[youtube]jPcX9P9JYDM[/youtube]

toffee

Reaction score
TreeRon":14qx83l8 said:

I know and managed enough 'engineers', and I am of the opinion that not anyone dedicated enough can earn an engineering degree or become a functional engineer. That said, I am also of the opinion that engineers are not necessarily smarter in everyday life.

This is a real story that happened about 16 years ago, daughter was a junior in high school but was also taking class in Stanford. With that, a Stanford wonder kid became her bf for couple of years. This boy was double major in Physics, or was it math, also minor in electronic engineering, on scholarship and some sort of accelerated program. OK a pretty smart kid but when he took daughter out on a long road trip from Silicon Valley to Sacramento, they experienced a flat tire. Smart boy kept driving to the next exit with a flat tire while she tried to call AAA. In the end, the tire was totally shredded and rim damaged beyond repair by the time they exited the highway. If only he stopped when they noticed the flat tire and call AAA, could have saved lots of money. It was on I680 near Pleasanton about 2pm, so plenty safe to stop and wait.

This was a Stanford alum of Sherm, engineering student, now a professor with a Stanford Phd in engineering.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
toffee":3a4qxnk9 said:
TreeRon":3a4qxnk9 said:

I know and managed enough 'engineers', and I am of the opinion that not anyone dedicated enough can earn an engineering degree or become a functional engineer. That said, I am also of the opinion that engineers are not necessarily smarter in everyday life.

This is a real story that happened about 16 years ago, daughter was a junior in high school but was also taking class in Stanford. With that, a Stanford wonder kid became her bf for couple of years. This boy was double major in Physics, or was it math, also minor in electronic engineering, on scholarship and some sort of accelerated program. OK a pretty smart kid but when he took daughter out on a long road trip from Silicon Valley to Sacramento, they experienced a flat tire. Smart boy kept driving to the next exit with a flat tire while she tried to call AAA. In the end, the tire was totally shredded and rim damaged beyond repair by the time they exited the highway. If only he stopped when they noticed the flat tire and call AAA, could have saved lots of money. It was on I680 near Pleasanton about 2pm, so plenty safe to stop and wait.

This was a Stanford alum of Sherm, engineering student, now a professor with a Stanford Phd in engineering.

This is not that uncommon. My college BF at cal was a civil engineering major and could not pump gas into an automobile.

toffee

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2ofojyyv said:
toffee":2ofojyyv said:
TreeRon":2ofojyyv said:

This is not that uncommon. My college BF at cal was a civil engineering major and could not pump gas into an automobile.

with my very limited experience in managing new engineering grads from Cal vs Stanford. I enjoyed the Cal engineers a lot more than the Stanford bunch :)

bigskydoc

Reaction score
chris98251":32v82qxx said:

I said the technology is there and where I may be remiss in one aspect the cheap ass counties and Cities using outdated technology because they don't want to upgrade due to cost, I have some 50 year old shit still hooked up to 911 and FAA circuits going to some locations.

I can't speak to the tech underpinning the system, but I can back up Pmedic on this, from experience as a 911 operator and dispatcher, and subsequently a fireman. (Pre-med school, so it has been a few years)

Receiving 911 calls, from a town that was 90 miles away, was so routine, that we had their dispatch center on speed dial. I don't know why the system routed those calls to us. The engineers were equally perplexed. All I know is that it happened frequently enough that the process of relaying info to the appropriate dispatch became routine.

And no, the system didn't tell us the calls were coming from that town.

Every 911 operator is trained that the most important info to get is first a call back number for the reporting party, and second the location of the actual emergency.

I once dispatched the fire department to the wrong location because I verified the address with the caller, but didn't verify that the actual fire was at that address. It was a block away.

Trusting the system to give you the correct address is no defense for a dispatcher that sends emergency services to the wrong location. The system isn't infallible, it only takes seconds to verify the actual location of the emergency, and location verification is a great tool to calm a panicked reporting party.

Dispatch 101 level stuff here.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
toffee":3cmlx5wn said:
TreeRon":3cmlx5wn said:

Called AAA?
How about change the tire to the spare?

chris98251

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2eqkhbun said:
chris98251":2eqkhbun said:

I said the technology is there and where I may be remiss in one aspect the cheap ass counties and Cities using outdated technology because they don't want to upgrade due to cost, I have some 50 year old shit still hooked up to 911 and FAA circuits going to some locations.

I can't speak to the tech underpinning the system, but I can back up Pmedic on this, from experience as a 911 operator and dispatcher, and subsequently a fireman. (Pre-med school, so it has been a few years)

Receiving 911 calls, from a town that was 90 miles away, was so routine, that we had their dispatch center on speed dial. I don't know why the system routed those calls to us. The engineers were equally perplexed. All I know is that it happened frequently enough that the process of relaying info to the appropriate dispatch became routine.

Every 911 operator is trained that the most important info to get is first a call back number for the reporting party, and second the location of the actual emergency.

I once dispatched the fire department to the wrong location because I verified the address with the caller, but didn't verify that the actual fire was at that address. It was a block away.

Trusting the system to give you the correct address is no defense for a dispatcher that sends emergency services to the wrong location. The system isn't infallible, it only takes seconds to verify the actual location of the emergency, and location verification is a great tool to calm a panicked reporting party.

Dispatch 101 level stuff here.

I think what your talking about is a busy out system that routes emergency calls to next available, that could be another area code, prefix etc, but it is set up in programming features for each system based on what they ordered when installed. It may not even make sense in todays' world considering the age of some systems.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2f4mnqoo said:
chris98251":2f4mnqoo said:

I said the technology is there and where I may be remiss in one aspect the cheap ass counties and Cities using outdated technology because they don't want to upgrade due to cost, I have some 50 year old $h!t still hooked up to 911 and FAA circuits going to some locations.

In San Francisco we were told that the first thing you always say is "San Francisco 911. What is the EXACT LOCATION of your emergency?"

It it's the ANI/ALI address and RP confirms then at least there's no probs with dispatch misspelling it. And like this person says a lot of times the ANI/ALI is NOT the actual address for service. Like he says it only takes seconds. And he's a FF so he's the guy who's probably got to do the CPR and he knows that's most effective within three minutes.