rlkats

Reaction score
Marvin49":17dgc1cs said:
...just....never...ends.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1323360031912259584[/tweet]

Awesome, punches keep coming.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just ridiculous to have that many injuries. I guess it just got tiresome to ONLY hear about Niners injuries, as if the Hawks were some healthy team :?

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":32xl4bfd said:
Just ridiculous to have that many injuries. I guess it just got tiresome to ONLY hear about Niners injuries, as if the Hawks were some healthy team :?

I can see that. Its like you get frustrated because your team is losing valuable guys to injury but the story is always another team getting hurt. I can see the frustration...

....but TRUST ME, you'd rather be on YOUR side of this than ours. LOL.

Its just some other-worldy stuff right now. Every single game they lose several guys. We keep waiting for this myhtical time when we "get healthy". You can't do that if you keep getting guys back and then they go right back to IR. Coleman, Garoppolo, Kittle...all REinjured.

Admit it guys....some of you must be out there stabbing some Niner helmed Voodoo Dolls. :D J/K

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The amount of injuries you guys have is unreal. At some point, it IS a huge factor.
From the outside looking in, losing Bosa was the biggest loss. But obviously Kittle can't stay healthy, and not having him is huge. Dude is a flat out beast.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":xavuhlml said:
The amount of injuries you guys have is unreal. At some point, it IS a huge factor.
From the outside looking in, losing Bosa was the biggest loss. But obviously Kittle can't stay healthy, and not having him is huge. Dude is a flat out beast.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/akashanav/status/1323365861638328321[/tweet]

bigskydoc

Reaction score
No one, I mean no one in the NFL is even close to the injury situation the Niners are in. It's not just the number of injuries, it's who is injured.

We would have to be out Adams, Wagner, DK, Carson, and have a gimped up Lockett, and gimped up Wilson to come close to being in the same situation. When I said, during the offseason, that the Niners were overdue for a reversion to the injury mean, I never imagined it would be this bad.

That they have been as successful as they have is a testament to the depth that they have built there. If they get a decent QB, watch out. They will be right back in the thick of things next year.

NINEster

Reaction score
The Hawks were legitimately banged up for yesterday's match up. No Carson or Hyde....no Adams.

Had the Niners had Mostert, Wilson and Deebo Samuel and won the game, the Hawk injury excuse would have been valid, even with all of the other injuries the Niners have had. They were able to win against the Rams and Patriots with those guys.

It's just how you weight it. The Seahawks have had more of a top heavy roster than the 49ers the last few years, so they get by so long as Wilson, Lockette, Metcalf, Wagner, Wright, and any combination of Carson/Dissly/Hollister/Hyde/etc play.

Most frustrating part for me is Jimmy G being injured with such a weird timetable ailment of a high ankle sprain. After Bosa went down and the crap start to the season, I was really hoping to find out what we had in him (wanted to anyways, but esp now). Now we won't even get that, and all you're left with is the odd sinking feeling he's no longer a franchise QB.

Last year he took heat mostly for his TD/INT ratio and the run heavy offense, but compared to now he looked like a baller.

He legit had the goods IMO years back, but the injuries and perhaps even Kyle Shanahan himself ruined him. Had Brady been traded or left after the 2017 season, and Garoppolo took over NE, I just see a much better trajectory for him. The system he was in, I have to believe was better for him, and it's not like he needed to learn it quick either.

Kyle is an amazing OC, but with respect to QB pairing, it gets very interesting. I like to think he has the best offensive mind in the game at getting the run game and passing game going schematically, but it requires a very specific type of QB to succeed with. Mahomes as a Niner would have been good, probably very good, but you can see the ad lib plays bothering him.

Same with Wilson as a Niner or Kyle as a hawk OC. I don't think Kyle could improve the Seahawk offense a ton, except maybe make the run game better and hence everything else flows from that. I think the vertical game Wilson thrives on would be hampered by a WCO.

Onto the next one.

I doubt the Seahawk fans will ever praise a legitimately great 49er QB, but I think if they're silent on him.......that means he's actually good.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
NINEster":2vtf7nu7 said:
The Hawks were legitimately banged up for yesterday's match up. No Carson or Hyde....no Adams.

Had the Niners had Mostert, Wilson and Deebo Samuel and won the game, the Hawk injury excuse would have been valid, even with all of the other injuries the Niners have had. They were able to win against the Rams and Patriots with those guys.

It's just how you weight it. The Seahawks have had more of a top heavy roster than the 49ers the last few years, so they get by so long as Wilson, Lockette, Metcalf, Wagner, Wright, and any combination of Carson/Dissly/Hollister/Hyde/etc play.

Most frustrating part for me is Jimmy G being injured with such a weird timetable ailment of a high ankle sprain. After Bosa went down and the crap start to the season, I was really hoping to find out what we had in him (wanted to anyways, but esp now). Now we won't even get that, and all you're left with is the odd sinking feeling he's no longer a franchise QB.

Last year he took heat mostly for his TD/INT ratio and the run heavy offense, but compared to now he looked like a baller.

He legit had the goods IMO years back, but the injuries and perhaps even Kyle Shanahan himself ruined him. Had Brady been traded or left after the 2017 season, and Garoppolo took over NE, I just see a much better trajectory for him. The system he was in, I have to believe was better for him, and it's not like he needed to learn it quick either.

Kyle is an amazing OC, but with respect to QB pairing, it gets very interesting. I like to think he has the best offensive mind in the game at getting the run game and passing game going schematically, but it requires a very specific type of QB to succeed with. Mahomes as a Niner would have been good, probably very good, but you can see the ad lib plays bothering him.

Same with Wilson as a Niner or Kyle as a hawk OC. I don't think Kyle could improve the Seahawk offense a ton, except maybe make the run game better and hence everything else flows from that. I think the vertical game Wilson thrives on would be hampered by a WCO.

Onto the next one.

I doubt the Seahawk fans will ever praise a legitimately great 49er QB, but I think if they're silent on him.......that means he's actually good.
I loved Joe Montana..Does that count?He'd really put up numbers in todays game.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":2mztuqqx said:

Onto the next one.

Never anything but respect for Joe Montana. Dude was pure class. Steve Young.... meh. Respect the talent, but never a fan. As for who you've had since, they're mostly clowns, but I've always liked Alex Smith, and he deserves better than he's gotten. Jimmy G is overrated. He's a more fragile Matt Hasselbeck at best.

Out of deference to forum rules, I will refrain from indulging in my thoughts on Kaepernick.

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":3g9o9zas said:
knownone":3g9o9zas said:
I’m wondering how long it will take people to realize how bad of GM John Lynch is. He essentially built their defense around talented injury prone players, traded away the 2nd best DT in the league, and somehow managed to enter 2020 with less talent at receiver than they had in 2019.

I wonder if you realize just how ludicrous that sounds. LOL

He took over a team that was in the cellar and completely rebuilt it into a team that was 7 minutes from a SB title.

They traded away Buck because they couldn't pay him the 21 mil per he wanted and wouldn't give the team the escape hatch they have for Ford, Kwon, and Armstead. Instead they got a pick and a very promising young DT who is on a rookie contract. They just traded Kwon BTW.

Yes, he missed on some high profile picks like Solomon Thomas, Dante Pettis, and Reuben Foster, but he also hit home runs with George Kittle, Fred Warner, Deebo Samuel, Nick Bosa, and Dre Greenlaw (whom is the reason they could trade Kwon Alexander). He also shopped the bargain bin in FA for guys like Raheem Mostert and Jason Verrett.

He surely isn't infallible, but your concept here is laughable.

As for WR, they are BETTER, not worse. Deebo is fantastic. Aiyuk is just starting to turn the corner in his rookie year and has put together back to back weeks as the teams leading receiver.

Despite ALL of the injuries, the 49ers are STILL 4-4.
Allow me to flesh out my opinion.

Lynch inherited a team with a great deal of recent high draft picks. In his first 3 season, he has the 3rd, 9th, and 2nd picks' in the draft. The Niners had a ton of cap space in their first 3 season which they use to add talented yet injury prone (or coming off a significant injury) players: Richard Sherman, Dee Ford, Kwon Alexander. They also traded a 2nd round pick and paid Jimmy Garoppolo.

I would argue that the only reason the Niners made the Super Bowl last year is because the Rams and Seahawk's dealt with significant injuries to key positions on their team. In other words, if Gurley wasn't a complete dud or Seattle doesn't lose Carson and Penny, the Niners probably don't make the Superbowl. Now, I'm sure you could make a similar case with injuries, but the Niners most significant injuries were to two players who, as mentioned above, were injury prone.

Furthermore, the Superbowl year might just be an aberration because of all of their high draft picks and cap space. Seriously, they've had one winning season in 7 years; it's only a matter of time for the law of averages to do the Niners a solid.

As for the players you've mentioned... Yeah, Kittle and Warner were home runs. Nick Bosa was widely considered the #1 player in the draft, so I'm not giving Lynch credit for that. Greenlaw is a good player. Deebo Samuel is a good player, but fell in the draft because he had durability concerns.

In conclusion, Lynch is on pace to have 3 losing seasons in 4 years. He'll probably be looking for a new QB in the off-season. Guys like Sherman, Ford, and Williams will either restructure or be on their way out. And then what? They've got a reasonably talented team, but unless they land a solid QB to replace Jimmy, I don't see how they are a legitimate contender. Which leads to the question, what if they finish below 8-8 next season? Is 1 winning season in 5 years enough to consider Lynch a good GM?

KinesProf

Reaction score
They haven't so much lost their way, it's just that 2019 is the clear outlier season for the Lynch/Shanahan regime.

2017: 6-10
2018: 4-12
2019: 13-3
2020: 4-5 so far

AirStrike

Reaction score
KinesProf":8m6vtvmf said:
They haven't so much lost their way, it's just that 2019 is the clear outlier season for the Lynch/Shanahan regime.

Agreed. 2019 was definitely a fluke. Garoppolo is a bad quarterback but they're a 9-7 team at best with everyone healthy.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
NINEster":314ghc0g said:

Onto the next one.

Very good post. I treat this as a lot of wisdom. THanks. SF80

Marvin49

Reaction score
AirStrike":33mn4la0 said:
KinesProf":33mn4la0 said:

Agreed. 2019 was definitely a fluke. Garoppolo is a bad quarterback but they're a 9-7 team at best with everyone healthy.

um...they are a 4-5 team with 80 mil of their 202 mil salary cap on IR. Not really sure how you figure, but whatever.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We are only 3 games ahead with a lot left to play, and the Seahawks right now have the worst D in football. I don't see that as cause for celebration or gloating. If Schotty doesn't fix the protection issues promptly, Russell is getting hit hard 15 times a game, and we're screwed if we lose him.

The charts showing games missed and the amount of salary cap that is on the bench tell the same story we see with the eye test. SF has been trotting out a JV team the last several weeks, but they did us the favor of beating the Rams, which has been hard for us, so there's that. Jimmy G is an average-good QB, but not a difference-maker worth the amount of salary cap tied up in that position. The last "Great" QBs I remember you guys having were Montana-Young, but you've had "good" ones. Alex Smith was good, still with upside when he left. Kaep needed Jim Harbaugh, kind of a unique QB, and hard to rate, and much less effective, once Harbaugh left. Jimmy G is good, sometimes very good, but overall, kind of average-good, like a Kirk Cousins. He can win consistently with a solid group around him, but if asked to carry the team every game, that's too big a lift for him.

John Lynch, from what I can see, has done a scary-good job, with the exception of the players he brings in having excessive injury problems. Is that on Lynch, or is that a coaching-conditioning issue? I can't tell. What I can tell is that Lynch brought in players and built a group that got to the Super Bowl last year. He seems to do a good job getting Shanahan the players that fit Shanahan's system. Deebo being a great example of this. I've been impressed with this Brandon Aiyuk rookie; he filled in nicely for Deebo while he was out. Lynch has gotten good mileage out of Richard Sherman. We've raided players from the bottom of the Niner roster that are helping us. Our ex-49er slot corner. So it's hard to say Lynch has been bad, he's been above average, from what I've seen. Lynch's biggest mistake was paying JimmyG massive $$, but honestly, I'm not even sure if that was on his watch.

Despite my respect for the Niners overall and in particular, Shanahan as a coach, I confess I do rejoice at every 49ers loss. To a point. We Hawk fans need the Niners to time their injuries properly, i.e., so it suits our agenda, like at full strength vs the Cards and Rams this year, and preferably JV squad against us. Last year, especially, when your guys were healthy, I knew that you would positively steamroll many teams on the schedule.

If we lose Russell, pretty sure our season is over. Even without Jimmy G, the Niners, with the rest of the team getting fairly healthy, could win over half their remaining games with Mullins and even Beathard, which could sneak them into the playoffs under the Covid-shortened format.

Under the Shanahan-Lynch regime, I pretty much expect the Niners to be contenders for the division every year for the next few years. Adding talent to out-talent other teams, like what the Niners had last year, gets hard when you pay your QB big bucks and pick late in the draft every year. If the Niners hit on a rookie QB in the draft, who fits Shanahan's system, and can get out from under the Jimmy G contract and use that on other talent... well, no, I think Lynch and Shanahan should double down on Jimmy.