Anyone else feeling surpremely confident about this game?

themunn

Reaction score
My only fear is that we come out of the bye week flat, as this team has a recent history of underperforming after a long lay-off (Lions after TNF and Dolphins after bye in 2012, Rams after TNF this year). But the Saints are also coming off a TNF game so that might work in our favour.

I'd rather be playing the Saints next week after we get back into the groove, but I still think we'll win on Monday

Dreadbelch

Reaction score
For weary Hawks fans, Kearly's wise words are like a nice, warm Ditka massage. His confidence, like a big sausage pillow.

chris98251

Reaction score
I'm nervous we come out with dust on us that needs to get brushed off, over aggressive to a fault and stupid penaltys on our secondary. Also the Falcons are a rival of the Saints, we see how that workes here in the west and the step up and extra sacrafice players make in those games.

Saying all that we have been messed with on a week that was suppose to be a relax and disconnect from football so to speak by the league and it's a us against them mentality again, we play best then, if the weather gets nasty thats another benefit in our favor I think, we have more weather games were slated to play in wet conditions and gear up better for it. The Saints have a decent running attack of their own last time I watched so we will have to decide what we want to focus on. Brees or the run, if we focus on the receivers and pass rush then our linebackers and Kam are going to have to be gap smart, Brees isn't a real run threat but he does find his passing lanes well, defensive lineman hands up as much as possible will help.

Mick063

Reaction score
I will be shocked if the Hawks don't win by double digits.

Carroll's track record shows that his teams peak down the regular season home stretch. It is by design. The thoroughbreds have just rounded the final turn and Carroll signals to the jockey to turn the horse loose.

They won't hold anything back.

Plus.......this is Russell's coming out party. This will be that threshold game where in the future, we will collectively point back and say this is the game when Russell truly secured elite status. It isn't a matter of convincing us. We already know. This is where he delivers exactly what ESPN wants and needs. He will play "as advertised". New blood for the next generation of viewers. A star to sell when the playoffs arrive.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
They aren't good at stopping the run. They play poorly on the road. It's going to be cold and possibly snowing. We're going to win. Probably by double digits.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Saint fans have been in here all week "selling" their team to the forum. We already know they're good, but when faced with the fact that they're simply not the same team on the road - like a lot of others, including us - they seem to get pretty defensive about it.

We're flat out the better team at home. Proof is in the numbers, which are overwhelmingly in our favor. Doesn't mean this is a cake walk or a guaranteed win - the Bucs reminded us of that a few weeks ago - but we do match up well vs Payton & Brees in general.

You wouldn't know it by listening to the network pundits, but New Orleans has trended slightly downward the last couple weeks. Sorry, but barely getting by SF (in N.O.) and Atlanta (2-8 at the time) is nothing to brag about, particularly when their play has been suspect. Again, can't take them lightly, obviously, but they're hardly peaking at the moment.

In the end, it's all about Russell Wilson. The kid gets it. The guy has "it." He can handle any situation, as good as any vet that's been playing the game for many more years than he has. He doesn't panic. And if there was a statistic for being clutch, he'd be among the league leaders. He's the X-factor that this franchise has never had before, and he knows how to deliver when the game's on the line.

Barthawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1bmmdkvb said:
After we beat the Saints, we will only need to win ONE of our remaining 4 games to earn the #1 seed, IMO.

This game is HUGE.

And we will turn up BIG.
Leif, I believe we need to win 3 more games to clinch HFA. Carolina can still go 13-3 as well as NO after we beat them.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have lost my Seattle angst this year. Even in the loss, and any upcoming losses if they happen, well, shit happens.

I kinda like the Saints. They got crapped on by Roger and the league with bounty gate, they don't play boring football, they have loyal fans, and they have every reason to think that the Saints can win every game they play in, Brees is that good. But we know something that many of them have missed. Number 3 is no joke. They look at the QB matchup and put the auto check mark in their column, and as we know in this league, having the QB matchup won is at least half the battle. You would think that by now, with Saint fans having watched Russell come back from 21 down vs the Bucs(who gave the Saints a hella close game if I remember correctly), beat the Panthers in Carolina twice, come back from 20 down twice vs the Falcons last year, and put a bullet in that horse this year, there would be some knowledge they could use about number 3 being at least deadly to their division rivals, but it seems not to be the case.

I don't know if it is because he is short. I don't know if it is because he is a 3rd round pick. I don't know if it is because he rarely throws for more than a couple hundred yards in an average game. But it seems that until 3 does his thing vs YOUR team, any particular fanbase just doesn't know 3 is truth.

Yeah, I feel good about Monday night.

Steve2222

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1w3lr5si said:
Not I. Saints fans have convinced me that we have no chance. Sean Payton is a genius offensive mind and Rob Ryan has the most unique D ever. We've never seen a D like Ryan's and let's not forget their front 7 is 10x's better than Carolina's, StL's, 49er's and Houston's. Also, Brees is the first elite QB we've seen all year. We'll be lucky to even be in this game.

Yeah Saints fans have convinced me that.....

- Wilson is a shorter, poorer mans version of Trent Dilfer
- Mark Inghram > Marshawn Lynch
- Jimmy Graham is undefensible
- Saints 9 game MNF winning streak is clearly better than Seattles 7 game MNF winning streak combined with their 13-0 home record the past two years
- Saints defense is leagues above the Panthers, 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals defenses

Number9

Reaction score
Steve2222":2l0g4qpi said:
Yeah Saints fans have convinced me that.....

- Wilson is a shorter, poorer mans version of Trent Dilfer
- Mark Inghram > Marshawn Lynch
- Jimmy Graham is undefensible
- Saints 9 game MNF winning streak is clearly better than Seattles 7 game MNF winning streak combined with their 13-0 home record the past two years
- Saints defense is leagues above the Panthers, 49ers, Rams, and Cardinals defenses

Saints fan here...

- Wilson is far better than Trent Dilfer could ever dream to be
- Ha! No sober Saints fan will ever make that claim. :lol:
- Nope. Jimmy was already shutdown/dominated by Aqib Talib.
- Not better, but not something that should be brushed off and ignored.
- I'm not really a fan of rankings. I'll just say the Saints defense is leagues above the Saints defense of last year. Don't expect the worst defense in the league.

Johnny

Reaction score
The only other games I've been this worried about were the 49ers, Colts games...

I don't understand how some on here can say this will be a 'landslide win'.

3rd
5th

Those are the rankings of the Saints offense (3rd) and their defense (5th)... How can you overlook those stats?, Just because they scored only 17 points vs. the Falcons? That seems to be a blind eye and a foolish one at that. also, This is a team that is going to be looking for blood I'm sure Payton & Brees did forget about the playoff game and will be looking for revenge. I've said it before and I'll say it again this game might be won on the last possession of the game.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious consternation regarding our secondary being in a state of flux, our OL shaking the rust off and the team possibly coming out flat after a bye weak, I have no concerns at all :34853_tinfoil: :mrgreen:

That said, we have a great equalizer in Russell Wilson, who seems to turn what would be grave shortcomings on most teams into minor concerns. I'm baffled by shorty.

I am firmly convinced that no other QB in team history (and not many in the league) could perform nearly as well behind virtually ZERO pass protection. With the OL starters only beginning to shake the rust off in the Vikings game, the pass pro was only fractionally better, but that's all he needed. You could tell he was beside himself at having two full seconds to throw (though not consistently), and boy did he deliver. Maybe Russ having to endure a withering pass rush, through revolving doors, week after week to this point is actually a blessing in disguise.

Bevell was forced to improve our short-passing attack, Russell's reads got quicker and now, when he gets anything resembling pass protection, I'll bet the game REALLY slows down for him. Most second-year QB's would be mentally destroyed after what he went through. What a tough nut! His older brother said Russ is "the most mentally tough person he knows." I'm fairly certain we've seen nothing to prove that statement wrong.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I was very confident, at least up until they announced that we might see some snow for the game. Adverse weather adds an unknown element to the equation. I'm certain that we have the better team and although I think we'd be the team that could better cope with adverse weather, but one never knows. A muffed punt, a botched FG attempt, etc.

Even so, I'd still lay money on us and give double digit points. I think we'll win going away.

SilkMonkey

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, seeing Kip come out with the confidence gave me some confidence. It's like the first time I stepped on the field as a running back...I had a more veteran dude showing me what to do so I got some confidence.

Career rushing stats though - 1 carry, 0 yds.

:th2thumbs:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The factor that worries me is the long layoff. If this was a regular schedule week, playing 7 days after our last game, I think we win easily.

But I think the hawks may come out flat after the long layoff.

Hope I am wrong!

SirSaint_1963

Reaction score
kearly":24lb2def said:
Reason I am not worried about this game, other than gut feel, is that elite QBs that have played Seattle the last two seasons have had to switch to a checkdown type game plan. Rodgers in 2012 and in the 2013 preseason. Brady in 2012 (he was magnificent but still only scored 23 points), Manning in the 2012 and 2013 preseasons, etc.

Now, some QBs have challenged us intermediate and kicked our butts (Ryan Tannehill and Matt Stafford in 2012 and Mike Glennon in 2013). But in all those cases they were by chance having career days the day they faced our defense, and I think their youth and inexperience led them to dangerous play. Dangerous play that Seattle usually feasts on.

Franchise QBs tend to not be risk takers. They play smart and stick to a game plan that avoids game breaking mistakes. That means when Brees does score on us, he's going to have to work his tail off for those touchdowns: 15 play drives with multiple 3rd down conversions. He can do it, no question, but it's hard to score 30 when playing with a game plan like that, especially on the road in the NFL's most hostile environment in freezing temperatures when being accustomed to warm weather and indoor conditions.

On the flip side, the Saints run D is one of the worst in the league and their style of defense perfectly plays into Seattle's hands. Seattle is likely to score 30 points (their season average is over 30 a game at home). Seattle's offense has rolling been rolling in recent weeks. For the Saints to win, you are basically asking Brees to pitch a perfecto on 3rd downs while the defense somehow learns how to stop one of the NFL's best rushing attacks. That is one seriously tall order.

Our run D is one of the worst in the league but is statistically ranked higher than yours because you're giving up 1 more yard per rush. So what does that make your run defense please enlighten me.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
SirSaint_1963":3h7g8wl9 said:
kearly":3h7g8wl9 said:
Reason I am not worried about this game, other than gut feel, is that elite QBs that have played Seattle the last two seasons have had to switch to a checkdown type game plan. Rodgers in 2012 and in the 2013 preseason. Brady in 2012 (he was magnificent but still only scored 23 points), Manning in the 2012 and 2013 preseasons, etc.

Now, some QBs have challenged us intermediate and kicked our butts (Ryan Tannehill and Matt Stafford in 2012 and Mike Glennon in 2013). But in all those cases they were by chance having career days the day they faced our defense, and I think their youth and inexperience led them to dangerous play. Dangerous play that Seattle usually feasts on.

Franchise QBs tend to not be risk takers. They play smart and stick to a game plan that avoids game breaking mistakes. That means when Brees does score on us, he's going to have to work his tail off for those touchdowns: 15 play drives with multiple 3rd down conversions. He can do it, no question, but it's hard to score 30 when playing with a game plan like that, especially on the road in the NFL's most hostile environment in freezing temperatures when being accustomed to warm weather and indoor conditions.

On the flip side, the Saints run D is one of the worst in the league and their style of defense perfectly plays into Seattle's hands. Seattle is likely to score 30 points (their season average is over 30 a game at home). Seattle's offense has rolling been rolling in recent weeks. For the Saints to win, you are basically asking Brees to pitch a perfecto on 3rd downs while the defense somehow learns how to stop one of the NFL's best rushing attacks. That is one seriously tall order.

Our run D is one of the worst in the league but is statistically ranked higher than yours because you're giving up 1 more yard per rush. So what does that make your run defense please enlighten me.

Check the stats again. The Saints give up 4.8 yards per rush and the Hawks give up 4.2 per rush.

chevelle03

Reaction score
Barthawk":39a8yz6r said:
bestfightstory":39a8yz6r said:
After we beat the Saints, we will only need to win ONE of our remaining 4 games to earn the #1 seed, IMO.

This game is HUGE.

And we will turn up BIG.
Leif, I believe we need to win 3 more games to clinch HFA. Carolina can still go 13-3 as well as NO after we beat them.

He did say it was his opinion, so I'm guessing he is counting on another loss by the Saints and Panthers. But if we do beat the Saints, we will clinch HFA with 2 wins in our last 4 games, as that would put us at 13-3 and we would have the tie-break over Saints and Panthers.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ph5bp0gx said:
We've practically already lost the game according to Saints forums.

I'm quakin' in mah boots.
They are high on moonshine and whatever other weird substances only found down there. Or maybe they have our guys poked by voodoo dolls.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Johnny":26z90u9g said:
I don't understand how some on here can say this will be a 'landslide win'.

3rd
5th

Those are the rankings of the Saints offense (3rd) and their defense (5th)... How can you overlook those stats?, Just because they scored only 17 points vs. the Falcons? That seems to be a blind eye and a foolish one at that. also, This is a team that is going to be looking for blood I'm sure Payton & Brees did forget about the playoff game and will be looking for revenge. I've said it before and I'll say it again this game might be won on the last possession of the game.

Here is a possible theory....suppose they also realize that we could meet in the Division, so they decide to intentionally play with less intensity so we become overconfident in the Division final? Just a thought....

Latest posts