Anyone else feeling surpremely confident about this game?

jafo

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2pbl1tfq said:
I don't think this guy understands that Football Outsiders basically figures for strength of schedule against each player on the field, not just overall teams.

Besides, strength of schedule isn't really something you can accurately quantify until the season is over.

In any case, Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings are peerless. They're the best in the business, and no one else is really close. The only thing they rank with DVOA that is weak or nowhere near as good as the rest is pass protection.

Who gives a crap about football outsiders? I looked before and wasn't impressed. It is still biased one way or another every single week. The game is played on the field.

I'm quite sure we saint fans weren't enamored with our falcon performance just like I'm quite sure you guys weren't enamored with your TB performance.

jafo

Reaction score
jhawk91":1rbtrpwp said:
These saints fans sure are a cocky bunch, win 7-10 on a neutral field? that's just crazy talk, I think we match up pretty well. Our run offense vs their run defense and even our defense to their offense. I think sproles could be an issue but otherwise I think we are fine

Pot meet kettle. Do you realize how hard it is to win a nfl game by 10+ points and half your fans are predicting just that? If that isn't cocky then what is?

Tical21

Reaction score
This has all the makings of a 41-16 type blowout. The Saints can't stop the Seahawks. Roman Harper? Really? We're going to limit Jimmy Graham, and then there won't be a darn thing the Saints can do. They'll score a few points off of volume of passes alone, but it is going to get well out of hand early. Overrated defense. Bennett is going to harass those newish guards and push them back into Brees all day. Darren Sproles? Meet Kam Chancellor, little man. Come the third quarter, they're going to want to get on the plane and go back home. They'll realize there ain't no PR, and they don't have the bail money to get out of the Clink until they fulfill their sentence.

daketah

Reaction score
Yes! This is the best Seahawks team ever, and I was confident every week with the other two great Seahawks teams.

bradael

Reaction score
Zorn76":1eqx63jz said:
Saint fans have been in here all week "selling" their team to the forum. We already know they're good, but when faced with the fact that they're simply not the same team on the road - like a lot of others, including us - they seem to get pretty defensive about it.

We're flat out the better team at home. Proof is in the numbers, which are overwhelmingly in our favor. Doesn't mean this is a cake walk or a guaranteed win - the Bucs reminded us of that a few weeks ago - but we do match up well vs Payton & Brees in general.

You wouldn't know it by listening to the network pundits, but New Orleans has trended slightly downward the last couple weeks. Sorry, but barely getting by SF (in N.O.) and Atlanta (2-8 at the time) is nothing to brag about, particularly when their play has been suspect. Again, can't take them lightly, obviously, but they're hardly peaking at the moment.

In the end, it's all about Russell Wilson. The kid gets it. The guy has "it." He can handle any situation, as good as any vet that's been playing the game for many more years than he has. He doesn't panic. And if there was a statistic for being clutch, he'd be among the league leaders. He's the X-factor that this franchise has never had before, and he knows how to deliver when the game's on the line.

Every team is generally better at home, but it's a myth that the Saints are a terrible road team and unbeatable at home. They have the best road record in the league since 2009. They've also had some very close home victories against less than stellar opponents.

Atlanta - They were healthier then they've been all year and these games are always close. It's no different than the Seattle/Rams game earlier this year.

49ers - Their defense matches up well with the Saints. They have a strong DLine, particularly interior pass rush. They also play a lot of man to man defense. Same thing with the Jets.

The type of defenses the Saints match up well with are those that run primarily zone and struggle to get a pass rush up the middle. This isn't unique to 2013. It's how Graham, Colston, and Sproles are utilized. They give zone defenses matchup problems. But teams that are good in man coverage usually can shut down two of the three without much help.

As far as the confidence in this game - I think it's less confidence and more easiness. It's not a big game for either team. Both will likely be the #1 and 2 seeds, barring a late season meltdown by either team. It's really going to be more like a feeler game for both teams to see how each team plays against each other, because chances are they may meet again this year. And home field doesn't guarantee playoff success. 4 of the last 6 #1 seeds have lost their first playoff game. All 6 of the #2 seeds over that span have made the championship games.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Hey! Another sales pitch.

We ain't buying.

PS - If you think this is not a "big game" for either team, well... I guess I would say you can't fix stupid. Not trying to flame, but what are you smoking?

Blitzer88

Reaction score
bradael":3fd25fnc said:
Zorn76":3fd25fnc said:
Saint fans have been in here all week "selling" their team to the forum. We already know they're good, but when faced with the fact that they're simply not the same team on the road - like a lot of others, including us - they seem to get pretty defensive about it.

We're flat out the better team at home. Proof is in the numbers, which are overwhelmingly in our favor. Doesn't mean this is a cake walk or a guaranteed win - the Bucs reminded us of that a few weeks ago - but we do match up well vs Payton & Brees in general.

You wouldn't know it by listening to the network pundits, but New Orleans has trended slightly downward the last couple weeks. Sorry, but barely getting by SF (in N.O.) and Atlanta (2-8 at the time) is nothing to brag about, particularly when their play has been suspect. Again, can't take them lightly, obviously, but they're hardly peaking at the moment.

In the end, it's all about Russell Wilson. The kid gets it. The guy has "it." He can handle any situation, as good as any vet that's been playing the game for many more years than he has. He doesn't panic. And if there was a statistic for being clutch, he'd be among the league leaders. He's the X-factor that this franchise has never had before, and he knows how to deliver when the game's on the line.

The type of defenses the Saints match up well with are those that run primarily zone and struggle to get a pass rush up the middle. This isn't unique to 2013. It's how Graham, Colston, and Sproles are utilized. They give zone defenses matchup problems. But teams that are good in man coverage usually can shut down two of the three without much help.

Well, should be interesting as man to man defense is our primary defense coverage preference. Still, I'm nervous as heck about this game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm glad you're confident Kearly, I guess you're going to have to be confident enough for both of us.

I look at things from more of a defensive perspective because that's what I understand more.

Defensively, I'm worried. Does Lane have the necessary quickness to keep up with their slot WRs ? How will we match up/neutralize Sproles ? (Keep in mind, he was out for that Atlanta game and that had a big effect on their offense). Will the slot WR matchup/mismatch bleed over to covering Graham? Will we get our run fits right ? (there are games we crush teams, and there are games in the run game where it's WTF?). Can we get the necessary pass rush up the middle vs. Brees?

Individually, can Irvin hang with Graham? Can Lang stay with their slot WR ? (having a brainfart, I remember it was the guy that went to SD and flopped, then came back).

On the other side, I think we can establish the run against them. We run very well at home. I also think Wilson is going to make his plays. I think Baldwin or Tate will matchup very well against their #2 CB. I believe Harvin will be out, and that's significant. Harvin creates mismatch nightmares, and that's amplified for a team weak and thin on the backend. With Harvin, I have no problem thinking we're going to score 35+ and on anybody. Without him, if they get the execution from the defense, we can struggle. Shut down our run game, get pressure up the middle on Wilson and our WRs won't change the game for us.

I think we'll win if we shut down their run game and get good pressure on Brees. If he gets time, I think he carves us up. On the other side, all we really need to do is establish the run. They can get pressure on Wilson ,but he's show he can handle that and I don't see NO getting more pressure than the Rams did on us. Yes, they have more sacks but way less pressures and hits overall. They get their pressure by blitzing (and we need to contain Jordan), and Wilson is good against the blitz.

Overall, we need to do a lot less on offense than they do to win the game. Conversely, we need to do more on defense than they do. Our scheme isn't difficult to shut down, but doing it is another matter. Their scheme features multiple offensive weapons that are hard to completely neutralize.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
bradael":jqy5qzjw said:
49ers - Their defense matches up well with the Saints. They have a strong DLine, particularly interior pass rush. They also play a lot of man to man defense. Same thing with the Jets...

Good thing you don't play any other teams like that...

Tical21

Reaction score
It happpened. I got confident. \

No chance they can slow us down enough to stay in the game.

We are very good at taking away offense's top options. Graham is going to be harassed to no end, will probably see some Sherm on 3rd down, and we're going to let him catch a ball or two, just so he gets the opportunity to trade pleasantries with Bam Bam.

The one and only way I can see this game being close is if Kenny Stills goes monster on us, but: a.)I don't think he is good enough to do that b.)Maxwell is too good to let that happen.

Their running game is going to get swallowed and sharted out.

They won't be able to stop the beast. They won't be able to stop Golden, Percy will have a play or two.

Alexander

Reaction score
jafo":fw786ulw said:
RolandDeschain":fw786ulw said:
I don't think this guy understands that Football Outsiders basically figures for strength of schedule against each player on the field, not just overall teams.

Besides, strength of schedule isn't really something you can accurately quantify until the season is over.

In any case, Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings are peerless. They're the best in the business, and no one else is really close. The only thing they rank with DVOA that is weak or nowhere near as good as the rest is pass protection.

Who gives a crap about football outsiders? I looked before and wasn't impressed. It is still biased one way or another every single week. The game is played on the field.

I'm quite sure we saint fans weren't enamored with our falcon performance just like I'm quite sure you guys weren't enamored with your TB performance.

Biased in what sense?

A

Anonymous

Well the Saints gameplan just got easier with news of Harvin's hip flaring up again.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3kww2lzc said:
jafo":3kww2lzc said:
Who gives a crap about football outsiders?

People with an intelligence quotient that reaches the triple-digit range.

Roland, is your real name Phil Hellmuth?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":35b1okgp said:
Roland, is your real name Phil Hellmuth?
No.

jafo":35b1okgp said:
I looked before and wasn't impressed.
Well, look again and try to use some logic critical thinking, or something. They gave the Saints a +6.2% DVOA grade for your Atlanta game last week. Not very good, but certainly not "bad". Your Jets game, on the other hand, was -34.4%. Now that's bad; but not horrific.

Latest posts