Anyone else feeling surpremely confident about this game?

Tical21

Reaction score
I'm not there on this game, at least not yet. I usually get more confident as the week goes, so maybe I'm just not there yet, but, man, Kenny Stills concerns me. So does Graham. So does Sproles. And I have a fear that we're not going to concentrate on stopping the run. I think we're going to score at least in the high 20's, but I think New Orleans will as well.

Exittium

Reaction score
we'll lose because they'll reinstate a bounty for wilson lol

Number9

Reaction score
Exittium":3rqb2hcx said:
we'll lose because they'll reinstate a bounty for wilson lol

Doubtful. You need to be a threat for our boys to put a bounty on you. :stirthepot:

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I am scared for this game like I am for all of them.

The Saints are the best team we have played. I can see Brees dinking and dunking us like Ponder did at times in the last game. Only Brees is much better than Ponder.

Our guys better have thier defensive mojo on.

OrFan

Reaction score
I am completely confident the Seahawks make the Saints their personal little bitches. I will be completely shocked if we do not get a double digit win.

hawk79

Reaction score
I hope with all the suspensions talk and how we've been butt of some jokes nationally, this will galvanize the team.

Kakaww

Reaction score
I'm feeling confident about Monday night. There are many accolades we can heap on the Saints team, this is true. At the same time, Seattle exhibits the same strengths and then some. On a neutral field I give the advantage to Seattle. In The Clink, in the cold, across the country, I become even more comfortable in that feeling.

While there appears to be some respect for Wilson, I don't believe our opponents can really appreciate how valuable and capable he is. While Brees is a fantastic quarterback, I don't feel the advantage at QB is as enormous as Saints fans want to believe. Yes, he is likely to make some big plays Monday night, but Seattle is likely to do the same.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about our NFC west games coming up, in particular the Rams.

DaneM1983

Reaction score
I'm curious where you guys get all of your facts/stats from?

Hardly anything actually favors the Seahawks with regards to stats/splits especially when you consider the actual matchups. The only real thing favoring the Seahawks is it being at home. While I know Seattle fans think they invented crowd noise it took a new stadium and clever engineering you even get you in the conversation with the Superdome when it comes to that.

Here are some stats to enjoy.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/teams ... ns-saints/

Then factor in the absolutely easy schedule Seattle has (sub .400) opponent winning percentage and the bevy of mediocre to below average quarterbacks you've faced and I'm shocked at how arrogant/over confident some folks here are.

The Saints are also the only team in the NFL with a top 5 offense and top 5 defense. These teams are separated by 1 game in the W/L column neither of which with a loss in conference. This game is essentially a 2 game swing.

This is going to be a very close game and anyone saying with confidence that their team is going to win is just being a fan ;)

Here's to a great, injury free game and a certain preview of a playoff game soon to come.

Saints 31 Seahawks 27

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Dane, remember how all the Saints fans last year were saying Atlanta wasn't as good as their record? Well, they weren't, despite beating us. Saints fans were right, as were plenty of other fan bases.

Your defense is not a top 5 defense. Sure, it makes the top 5 list based on yardage and points allowed per game. However, if you want a better idea of where an aspect of your team really ranks, check Football Outsiders. They factor in a ton of stuff including opponent difficulty, and they've got you ranked 12th for defense.

Now tell us why that's wrong.

cesame

Reaction score
I like that the Saints only average 21pts/G on the road compared to 33pts/G at home.

They're 12pts/G worse on the road. That's a significant drop-off. Last I checked the game is being played in Seattle in the cold, wet, windy conditions.

I can't envision a scenario where Seattle loses this game. They may even dominate.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
With our current cornerback situation I'm nervous as all get out, plus I hate coming off of bye weeks. I think we win but I'm getting a very close game vibe.

Alexander

Reaction score
DaneM1983":k3zip0s5 said:
Hardly anything actually favors the Seahawks with regards to stats/splits especially when you consider the actual matchups.

The stats you linked say that NO > Seattle on offense and Seattle > NO on defense. Being favored in one of the two major components of the game is not "hardly anything" in my book.

Also, Seattle > NO on special teams. PFF grades Seattle as #1 on special teams by a wide margin over the #2 team:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/11/21/the-third-phase-ranking-the-special-teams/2/

If you don't like PFF, then consider that Seattle has only given up 15 punt return yards TOTAL on the season, and that kicker Steven Hauschka has only missed one field goal this year. So that's two out of three phases of the game where Seattle has a clear advantage, and one phase where NO has a clear advantage.

While I know Seattle fans think they invented crowd noise it took a new stadium and clever engineering you even get you in the conversation with the Superdome when it comes to that.

Pretty sure the crowd noise thing goes back to the Kingdome, which has been around just as long as the Superdome. Go ask John Elway which crowd he thinks is louder.

On the subject of stats, let me just echo Roland above: Look at the work Football Outsiders has done. Their metric is hands down the best way to measure performance. Traditional stats, like the ones you linked above, don't adjust for context or opponent. Does anyone really believe that Houston has the number one defense in the league? Does anyone really think that 1 yard on 3rd & 10 is the same as 1 yard on 3rd & 1? According to traditional stats both are just as good. According to everyone else, that's just nonsense. Clearly you have to adjust for context.

According to Football Outsiders, once you've taken into account game situation and opponent strength, Seattle rather than Houston has the best defense (with Arizona a very close second). In fact, Houston drops all the way down to 19, which is much more in line with what you would expect. NO, unfortunately, drops out of the top 10 entirely, down to 12. Still a good defense, and leagues better than last year, but far from elite.

Overall, they have Seattle as the clear #1 team, above even Denver. If you think they're wrong, then tell us why you think they're wrong. What aren't they considering that you think they should? Combine Seattle's #1 ranking in DVOA with homefield advantage, and you can see why some people are confident of a win.

Then factor in the absolutely easy schedule Seattle has (sub .400) opponent winning percentage and the bevy of mediocre to below average quarterbacks you've faced and I'm shocked at how arrogant/over confident some folks here are.

You play the teams on your schedule. The combined record of Seattle's opponents is as low as it is because they've played several bottom-feeder teams. With few exceptions, they've dominated those teams, which is as much as you can ask for. And they've defeated all but one of the better teams on their schedule, sometimes by a slim margin (Carolina) and other times more handily (SF and Arizona).

This is going to be a very close game and anyone saying with confidence that their team is going to win is just being a fan ;)

If this game were on a neutral field, I'd agree the game would probably be close. If it were in NO, I'd definitely give the edge to the Saints. But this is in Seattle. It won't be a blowout, but you don't have to be a homer to think that Seattle could win by 10-14 points. This is not a slight against the Saints, who by all measures are one of the elite teams in the NFL.

I'll grant you this: If the Hawks come out flat like they have in other games this year, the Saints could easily pull off the upset. They're more than good enough to do that. Given Seattle's tendency under Carroll to underperform after long breaks, this is a very real possibility. Factor in the loss of 2 of the team's top 3 CB's to suspension/injury, as well as the law of Any Given Sunday (Monday?), and it's not hard to imagine a Hawks loss. But I certainly don't EXPECT it to happen, and if the Saints do pull off the win, it should be considered an upset.

Kakaww

Reaction score
DaneM1983":3nn7ucqj said:

Hardly anything actually favors the Seahawks with regards to stats/splits especially when you consider the actual matchups. The only real thing favoring the Seahawks is it being at home. While I know Seattle fans think they invented crowd noise it took a new stadium and clever engineering you even get you in the conversation with the Superdome when it comes to that.

The Saints are also the only team in the NFL with a top 5 offense and top 5 defense. These teams are separated by 1 game in the W/L column neither of which with a loss in conference. This game is essentially a 2 game swing.

Here's to a great, injury free game and a certain preview of a playoff game soon to come.

Saints 31 Seahawks 27

The only thing favoring the Seahawks is being at home. Ok. So the Saints win every matchup and all three phases. And you are shocked at our arrogance? Best of luck Monday.

Rocket

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":puahybnf said:
I am scared for this game like I am for all of them.

The Saints are the best team we have played. I can see Brees dinking and dunking us like Ponder did at times in the last game. Only Brees is much better than Ponder.

Our guys better have thier defensive mojo on.
The fat lady ain't sung yet, campers, and we're down a corner or two.

DaneM1983

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":13lm7vfa said:
Dane, remember how all the Saints fans last year were saying Atlanta wasn't as good as their record? Well, they weren't, despite beating us. Saints fans were right, as were plenty of other fan bases.

Your defense is not a top 5 defense. Sure, it makes the top 5 list based on yardage and points allowed per game. However, if you want a better idea of where an aspect of your team really ranks, check Football Outsiders. They factor in a ton of stuff including opponent difficulty, and they've got you ranked 12th for defense.

Atlanta wasn't as good as their record and they were still able to beat an overrated Seahawks team.

I have a premium subscription to football outsiders. I'm well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of each respective group.
You clearly haven't watched any of the Saints games. A total of 1.5 points separates the Saints and Seahawks with regard to points allowed per game. The Seahawks have played the easiest schedule in the NFL while the Saints have played Matt Ryan twice, Tom Brady & Tony Romo.

If you are willing to look at strength of schedule I'll remind you that Seattle has played one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. The only decent QB that you've faced shredded your defense.

On a neutral field the Saints win 7 out of 10 times.

DaneM1983

Reaction score
Kakaww":3g9qh71i said:
DaneM1983":3g9qh71i said:

Saints 31 Seahawks 27

The only thing favoring the Seahawks is being at home. Ok. So the Saints win every matchup and all three phases. And you are shocked at our arrogance? Best of luck Monday.

That's what you took from that?

Kakaww

Reaction score
Luck was 16/29 for 229 yards. Is that who shredded our defense? Just over 50% completion percentage is "shredding?"

Thad Lewis went 22/39 for 232 against the Saints. Is that also considered "shredding."

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DaneM1983":2h2lck2j said:
RolandDeschain":2h2lck2j said:

Atlanta wasn't as good as their record and they were still able to beat an overrated Seahawks team.

I have a premium subscription to football outsiders. I'm well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of each respective group.
You clearly haven't watched any of the Saints games. A total of 1.5 points separates the Saints and Seahawks with regard to points allowed per game. The Seahawks have played the easiest schedule in the NFL while the Saints have played Matt Ryan twice, Tom Brady & Tony Romo.

If you are willing to look at strength of schedule I'll remind you that Seattle has played one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. The only decent QB that you've faced shredded your defense.

On a neutral field the Saints win 7 out of 10 times.
On what planet will the Hawks and Saints ever play on a neutral field?

You lost a game to Geno Smith. And he sucked.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm scared as heck for this game, mainly because it's such a big game for us against the best opposition we'll probably face all year.

I definitely hear the arguments and they resonate with me, TBH the HFA at Century Link is enough of an argument for me to have quite a lot of confidence in the win. The way we've watched some really, really, really good QBs have kryptonite shoved down their gullets at Century Link is just too obvious to ignore. Rodgers and Brady come immediately to mind. Brady hadn't thrown a pick in like a million years until he entered Seattle and we know how that turned out. This team, with these pass-rushers, when that gets cranking on the home field...

But still. When an elite QB enters the picture, you just can never count a team out on the road. It's the same reason I'd give us a chance to win @NO. Because Russell Wilson.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
kearly":1dlzqx1f said:
I felt more nervous about the Kansas City preseason game last year. Seriously.

It's not a slam on the Saints, who are one of the elite teams in football. The matchups and splits favor Seattle for the most part, but forget that. It just seems like this is the kind of game the current Seahawks team never loses. Underdog teams like the Eagles, Rams, and Colts scare me, but big boy teams just don't.

Psychologically speaking, it almost feels like we've been spotted 17 points before kickoff. That's how relaxed I feel.

I am feeling pretty good about this game as well. I have no reason NOT to be confident in this team, and I believe that we are the better team - especially when playing at the Clink.

You could say I have officially drank the kool-aid.

Latest posts