Baker Mayfield

Mistashoesta

Reaction score

I like the QB's in the draft this year, but I'm not in love with any of them. If the Browns are willing to eat alot of that money, maybe it makes sense to run with Baker for a year. This draft is deep with defensive talent. Might be best to use that pick on depth for another position.

getnasty

Reaction score
Obviously it all depends on the cost but I want me some Baker. Dude was injured last year and played through it. His 2020 season was very very good. Seems like a guy everyone rallys around.

Trade for Baker
Draft Evan Neal or Ikem in the 1st
Draft David Ojabo in the 2nd
Draft Quay Walker in the 2nd

Last edited:

Rosco

Reaction score
Mayfield isn’t the answer. He needs everything perfect around him in order to just be a serviceable player.
A great oline
Great running game
Elite WRs.
Above average/great defense
Without any one of those he’s a bust. Mayfield isn’t good enough to cover up any flaws in the team,not even close.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
And you are basing this on watching every Browns game since he has been there? And this is different than 98% of all QBs?
I love all the newly minted Baker Mayfield experts here. I wonder if you replaced the name Baker Mayfield with Drew Lock if it wouldn’t be just as true?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I am 100 percent convinced that Baker is not the answer here. He has character issues, has and will never live up to his draft selection, and has accuracy and lack of downfield ability. He is nothing more than a headache of a back up with a steep price. We already have 2 back ups. For those wanting Mayfield I think you are completely insane. It would be nothing more than a move out of desperation and panic. He flat out sucks....ask Jarvis Landry and Odell's dad.....Lock and Geno are better.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
And you are basing this on watching every Browns game since he has been there? And this is different than 98% of all QBs?
I love all the newly minted Baker Mayfield experts here. I wonder if you replaced the name Baker Mayfield with Drew Lock if it wouldn’t be just as true?
My brother is a Browns fan...has never missed a game. He celebrated when they gave Watson that horrible deal just to get rid of Mayfield. This would be an enormous mistake and franchise altering move if they got this guy.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Mayfield isn’t the answer. He needs everything perfect around him in order to just be a serviceable player.
A great oline
Great running game
Elite WRs.
Above average/great defense
Without any one of those he’s a bust. Mayfield isn’t good enough to cover up any flaws in the team,not even close.
Browns had a great team the last 2 years...he was their downfall. Metcalf will walk if they do this..

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
I am 100 percent convinced that Baker is not the answer here. He has character issues, has and will never live up to his draft selection, and has accuracy and lack of downfield ability. He is nothing more than a headache of a back up with a steep price. We already have 2 back ups. For those wanting Mayfield I think you are completely insane. It would be nothing more than a move out of desperation and panic. He flat out sucks....ask Jarvis Landry and Odell's dad.....Lock and Geno are better.
Mayfield may not be the answer but Geno and Lock are proven garbage.
In this case the unknown is better

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Mayfield may not be the answer but Geno and Lock are proven garbage.
In this case the unknown is better
Mayfield isn't an unknown...he sucks. Roll with the guys you got and draft next year. Why are so many fans worried about a rebuild???? Every team has to do it. Mayfield is not a guy you rebuild around. Example...look at Cleveland.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
Mayfield isn't an unknown...he sucks. Roll with the guys you got and draft next year. Why are so many fans worried about a rebuild???? Every team has to do it. Mayfield is not a guy you rebuild around. Example...look at Cleveland.
Ok that’s fine if you want to tank but my point is Lock and Geno are not better. They are garbage.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I don't think Baker Mayfield is a fit for the 'Hawks. OBJ had no love for Baker last season and said as much without anyone on the Browns defending Baker. Baker couldn't get the ball to OBJ on time. People started speculating that Beckham was washed up. Then Beckham moves on to the Rams and lights it up.

I think we have our "Bridge QB's on the roster and possibly maybe more. Plus I don't think Pete-ball requires the QB to put the team on his back and win. If we went out and traded for a stater I don't see many impactful QB's out there. I think Minshew would be a fun option but I'm not sure he's better than Geno or Lock.

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
So Mayfield gets you 1 or 2 more wins? Is it worth it to still suck?
Probably not if you have to pay much for him. I just can’t imagine how miserable it is with Lock and Geno. May as well trade the whole team

xray

Reaction score
No Mayfield please . If the Hawks can't score a QB in the draft then so be it . Fill other holes this year and play with the QBs already here . A 5-12 or 6-11 season is expected and just fine . Next year will be better .

getnasty

Reaction score
I don't think Baker Mayfield is a fit for the 'Hawks. OBJ had no love for Baker last season and said as much without anyone on the Browns defending Baker. Baker couldn't get the ball to OBJ on time. People started speculating that Beckham was washed up. Then Beckham moves on to the Rams and lights it up.

I think we have our "Bridge QB's on the roster and possibly maybe more. Plus I don't think Pete-ball requires the QB to put the team on his back and win. If we went out and traded for a stater I don't see many impactful QB's out there. I think Minshew would be a fun option but I'm not sure he's better than Geno or Lock.
Go look at OBJ stat lines last year. I wouldn't say he lite it up. Was he better yeah but that offense is much better then the Browns. Ship Stafford and Kupp to Cleveland and there not near as productive.

getnasty

Reaction score
Browns had a great team the last 2 years...he was their downfall. Metcalf will walk if they do this..
Browns had a great team? I would hardly say they were great. 2020 Baker was a stud. 2021 not so much.

getnasty

Reaction score
As long as you get him on the cheap there's not a lot of downside. Either he's solid and you decide if he's worth signing or he's not and he walks in free agency and your probably getting a comp pick. Also doesn't change your draft plans for this year as long as there not sold on one of the QB's in this years draft.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I think we've got our eye on a QB in this year's draft. It's just a question as to whether or not we can get him in the draft position we prefer to use on him. And IF we get him he will not be in position to start, nor would any other QB in this draft.
Our offense this season will depend on where Geno or Lock can take us.
If I'm in the FO I would also be looking at spending a nice pick next year on another QB. If those two develop as hoped we would have both starter and backup on rookie salary and be set for a long haul.

Rosco

Reaction score
I think we've got our eye on a QB in this year's draft. It's just a question as to whether or not we can get him in the draft position we prefer to use on him. And IF we get him he will not be in position to start, nor would any other QB in this draft.
Our offense this season will depend on where Geno or Lock can take us.
If I'm in the FO I would also be looking at spending a nice pick next year on another QB. If those two develop as hoped we would have both starter and backup on rookie salary and be set for a long haul.
Doubt it, if you got a rookie starter you’re going to have a veteran back up

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Stats state otherwise.
Baker Mayfield career stats - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayfBa00.htm.
Geno Smith career stats - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitGe00.htm
Drew Lock career stats - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LockDr00.htm
Baker is better in almost every stat, including the most important one - Wins and Losses.

Of course, in Lock's case is that he had only a handful of games so he's relatively unproven at this point. However, Geno has had enough games to prove he's not garbage but has failed. He's been in the league for 10 years. He's a career below average backup. He is what he is.

With this said, I'm not a fan of Baker and don't want the Seahawks to trade for him. If he's released, then it's a different story. No reason not to kick the tires and let him compete.

Last edited: