Baker Mayfield

getnasty

Reaction score
Very good oline, 2 great rbs, 2 really good wr, 2 good te, a really good defense...weak link..Baker
They were ranked 22nd in ppg as a defense in 2020. OBJ is way overrated and so is Jarvis Landry. I'll give you the OL and RB's though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Well...imo we will be the laughing stock of the league if we go with Mayfield.
The Seahawks are already the laughing stock of the league. However, they aren't the only team to be so. They have plenty of company in Texans, Browns, Cards, Steelers, Lions, Bears, Panthers, Dolphins, Jets, etc.

flv2

Reaction score
Mayfield's starts have resulted in 29 wins in 4 years. Smith and Lock's combined starts have resulted in 21 wins in 11 years. Mayfield has a much higher level of talent than Smith or Lock. It might to come down to how much of Mayfield's contract the Browns would have to eat for him to be worth a 5th round, (or similar), pick. The alternative is to invest in a rookie QB or trade for another veteran. I can't see the Seahawks management trying to compete with Smith or Lock.

Rosco

Reaction score
Mayfield's starts have resulted in 29 wins in 4 years. Smith and Lock's combined starts have resulted in 21 wins in 11 years. Mayfield has a much higher level of talent than Smith or Lock. It might to come down to how much of Mayfield's contract the Browns would have to eat for him to be worth a 5th round, (or similar), pick. The alternative is to invest in a rookie QB or trade for another veteran. I can't see the Seahawks management trying to compete with Smith or Lock.
He doesn’t have a higher level of talent then either Lock or Smith. Ryan Tannihill sucked with Miami and played very good with Tennessee. Win/loss record isn’t reflective of QB talent.
Mayfield is tall compared to RW but relatively short compared to other QBs.
Mayfield is also slow and can’t outrun NFL Dlineman.
He also doesn’t have the arm strength/talent of either smith or Lock.
Baker is also a cry baby diva who carries no respect in a locker room.

toffee

Reaction score
The Seahawks are already the laughing stock of the league. However, they aren't the only team to be so. They have plenty of company in Texans, Browns, Cards, Steelers, Lions, Bears, Panthers, Dolphins, Jets, etc.
Part of reasons for laughing stock?
  1. Failure to do more with a HOF QB,
    We shall see if Russ really could carry a team this season, or his limitations were masked by Peteball.
  2. Lousy defense from a defense HC
    This is legit, our defense hasn't been good, in fact quick bad when it comes to 3rd down conversions.
  3. Poor drafting
    This is also legit, we haven't draft an all star for ages.
  4. Dissatisfied players
    From Earl running into Cowboy locker to Sherm's open letter, But hey one of the reason for lack of harmony is now gone, let's see.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
And you are basing this on watching every Browns game since he has been there? And this is different than 98% of all QBs?
I love all the newly minted Baker Mayfield experts here. I wonder if you replaced the name Baker Mayfield with Drew Lock if it wouldn’t be just as true?

Sure. But Lock costs $1.45M and Mayfield costs a fully guaranteed $18.9M for 2022.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I don't think Baker Mayfield is a fit for the 'Hawks. OBJ had no love for Baker last season and said as much without anyone on the Browns defending Baker. Baker couldn't get the ball to OBJ on time. People started speculating that Beckham was washed up. Then Beckham moves on to the Rams and lights it up.

The 56% catch rate Beckham had with the Rams, and the three interceptions on Beckham targets in eight games for the Rams, are not "light[ing] it up."
OK, yes, Beckham was even worse with the Browns than he was with the Rams. His catch rate with Cleveland was 50%, which would have been good enough for fifth-worst in the league if he'd continued it for the whole season, but even his "improved" 56% catch rate with the Rams would put him at about 192nd-best in the league (ninth-worst) at catching the ball.

Beckham was, by FootballOutsiders' stats, somewhere between the 75th-best and 80th-best receiver in the NFL in 2021.

This is more consistent than you might expect with Pro-football-reference's more box-scorey stats. In eight games with the Rams and six with the Browns in 2021, Beckham was 76th-best in receiving yards per game, 204th-best in catch rate (ninth-worst in the league), 63rd-best in yards per reception, and 123rd-best in yards per target. Beckham might still deserve a job as an NFL WR, but I wouldn't want him even as the third WR on the Seahawks. He's not one of the top 50 WRs in the league, but people still think he's in the top 20, mostly because of a single crazy one-handed catch he made eight seasons ago.

I really don't want the Seahawks to spend close to $19M on Mayfield in 2022, but I don't see Beckham's suckitude for the Browns as an argument against Mayfield. Beckham continued to be a below-average WR after going to the Rams.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I think Mayfield is a good QB, but not a leader or good teammate. It speaks volumes that Cleveland was willing to move on from Mayfield and get Watson with all his baggage. I see Mayfield as a Jay Cutler or Jeff George type. Technically good but no accountability and does not seem to have teammates trust. In Mayfields defense he played through some significant injuries last season, he does have heart. I don't know but I just don't see him being a good fit for Seattle.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I do not see much difference between Geno, Lock, and Mayfield in physical ability. But one of those three carries a hefty price tag. It makes no sense to consider Mayfield and his weird attitudes when we can draft a guy who has the potential to be just what we need and want down the road.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Ugh. Please God, no. I just don't see it. Why would we want to take on a high cost, marginal qb when we could get one with more upside on a cheap rookie deal? Patience.

Dynomite

Reaction score
Mayfield isn’t the answer. He needs everything perfect around him in order to just be a serviceable player.
A great oline
Great running game
Elite WRs.
Above average/great defense
Without any one of those he’s a bust. Mayfield isn’t good enough to cover up any flaws in the team,not even close.
So clearly you know nothing about the browns situation or baker. His best year was during Covid. He didn’t have his “number 1 receiver” (although his #1 was a #3 on the rams so never had a #1). In 2020 his o line was decimated and they were better at run blocking anyway. Going into the playoff game they won he didn’t even have a coach. I’m pretty sure chubb was even out for part of the season. Stop making up narratives. I will say one thing he needs to be good is 2 functioning shoulders. So I guess you’re right… Odell wanted to be traded going into the season and the browns wouldn’t do it. He didn’t want to be there and it showed. And we all know how obj is when he doesn’t want go be where he’s at. Baker played better when he was out.

I’m not saying baker is amazing but This made up narrative that he needs everything to be perfect when his best year was incredibly not perfect is very interesting. It seems Russell needs everything to be perfect too considering he hasn’t done anything since his team was perfect. Even with two star receivers that the browns NEVER had.

Last edited: