Baker Mayfield

Rosco

Reaction score
So clearly you know nothing about the browns situation or baker. His best year was during Covid. He didn’t have his “number 1 receiver” (although his #1 was a #3 on the rams so never had a #1). In 2020 his o line was decimated and they were better at run blocking anyway. Going into the playoff game they won he didn’t even have a coach. I’m pretty sure chubb was even out for part of the season. Stop making up narratives. I will say one thing he needs to be good is 2 functioning shoulders. So I guess you’re right… Odell wanted to be traded going into the season and the browns wouldn’t do it. He didn’t want to be there and it showed. And we all know how obj is when he doesn’t want go be where he’s at. Baker played better when he was out.

I’m not saying baker is amazing but This made up narrative that he needs everything to be perfect when his best year was incredibly not perfect is very interesting. It seems Russell needs everything to be perfect too considering he hasn’t done anything since his team was perfect. Even with two star receivers that the browns NEVER had.
His best year was as close to perfect as you can get. If the defense and Hunt/Chubb aren’t playing great he’s no where to be found. Baker would have been traded already if he were any good

Boohman14

Reaction score
Today, day two of the draft, with almost all of the projected stud QB's still availible will show Mayfield's future. With Pittsburgh taking a QB I doubt they consider even a free agent Mayfield.
I suspect the Cleavland will either cut Mayfield or accept a trade where they eat part of his contract and take a low round draft pick.
Mayfield will be worth a look if he comes cheap which I expect is very likely.

W

Welshers

Yeah if he's cheap I think we should get him if we don't draft a QB. If we're really not tanking that is.

I'd like us to take a QB at 40. A guy who can develop and even take some time if needed. Willis or Ridder have all the intangibles.

Rosco

Reaction score

“It’s a huge battle within the locker room in my position being a quarterback,” he said. “Some of these guys don’t play the game because they love it. They’re playing it to get a retirement fund. They’re making tons of a million dollars and they don’t care about winning.”
“How can I get the best out of people that are making a ton of money?” said Mayfield. “I could always motivate people when we weren’t making money. ... You get a pension after four years, how do you motivate people that are already at that point?”
And people wonder how he doesn’t have the respect of his team.
This is the type of crap that’s going to get him out of the league.

Natethegreat

Reaction score

This is the type of crap that’s going to get him out of the leaHe is
He is right, there are a lot of players that are in it purely to make money (thats their right don't get all self righteous on me about it) and it is harder to motivate players when they don't actually love the game they play. I take this as a good thing in that he does love the game for the game itself and wants to win.
Edit: my guess is he is talking about players like Beckham here, who was always injured and never able to make it on the field to actually play there (whereas Mayfield was playing through many injuries trying to help his team). There seemed to be a tension there between them. Purely speculation but I bet that is part of what he was talking about.

Reactions: Rat

Rat

Reaction score

How is that quote a negative against him? Should a QB not want to motivate his teammates? It's a little more candor than you typically see, but he's discussing an honest issue from the perspective of wanting to lead a winning team.

Rosco

Reaction score
He is right, there are a lot of players that are in it purely to make money (thats their right don't get all self righteous on me about it) and it is harder to motivate players when they don't actually love the game they play. I take this as a good thing in that he does love the game for the game itself and wants to win.
He may be right, but it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference whether you or me think he’s right. We don’t have to make a case for why we you and I should be a NFL team’s starting QB. Baker Mayfield on the other hand…has every reason if he wants to be a starter in the NFL. Baker Mayfield just announced he’ll be a cancer to any locker room he goes to.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I am not following how that makes him a cancer in a locker room?

Rosco

Reaction score
How is that quote a negative against him? Should a QB not want to motivate his teammates? It's a little more candor than you typically see, but he's discussing an honest issue from the perspective of wanting to lead a winning team.
What players are going to be motivated to play for him when he comes out and bad mouths them.

Rosco

Reaction score
I am not following how that makes him a cancer in a locker room?
A QB has to get the best out of his team, no player is going to want to give him squat. Regardless of what people think pro players in any sport plays for money

Rat

Reaction score
What players are going to be motivated to play for him when he comes out and bad mouths them.
It is a huge stretch to call him a "cancer" for that. It's not like he singled anyone out.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Usually people refer to someone as a cancer because they think its all about them rather than the team goals. Think Antonio Brown etc. I don't see that with Baker here. I feel like its the opposite. He is expressing frustration with guys who are not motivated to win but rather show up and collect a paycheck. A problem that may very well be present in a poorly run franchise. Now maybe he needs to learn to grow as a leader in motivating people but that hardly makes him a cancer in my opinion.

Rob_Grimm

Reaction score
Baker hasn’t been moved for 2 reasons.
1. The Browns are being stubborn and are unwilling to accept they have no leverage in the situation. They are going to eat that 18 million. Not a single team is taking on that salary.

2. Baker hasn’t “tilted the room” to us a Schneider quote. He frankly hasn’t been that great and they current situation with the Browns has made him out to appear immature.

Baker will end up somewhere, maybe even Seattle. But that’s after the Brown eat it and cut the guy.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Mayfield has been exhibiting this attitude since before he left Oklahoma. It isn't a new thing for him. If he does nothing but sit he will collect $18M this year. He would have to be certifiably nuts to jeopardize that, and we would have to be nuts to pay it, especially when we already have guys as good as he is.
We'll get our guy next year.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Mayfield has been exhibiting this attitude since before he left Oklahoma. It isn't a new thing for him. If he does nothing but sit he will collect $18M this year. He would have to be certifiably nuts to jeopardize that, and we would have to be nuts to pay it, especially when we already have guys as good as he is.
We'll get our guy next year.
Baker has shown he is better than what we currently have on the roster. I agree we shouldn't pay him 18 though. If he comes cheap (like 6 to 8 mill) I think he is worth a shot over what we currently have

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet but PFF grades Mayfield at 63.6 and Lock at 60 for the 2021 season. However, Mayfield was 81.6 and Lock was 63.5 for the 2020 season. I get the Hawks making a play for Watson because he is elite but Mayfield may only be incrementally better than Lock so why take the risk and potentially waste the money. Better off to kick the tires on Lock and if you don't like what you see use one of your first round picks in 2023 on a better pool of QB talent.

Rosco

Reaction score
It is a huge stretch to call him a "cancer" for that. It's not like he singled anyone out.
He should have. A QB has to have credibility and the respect of the locker room to have any success
Usually people refer to someone as a cancer because they think its all about them rather than the team goals. Think Antonio Brown etc. I don't see that with Baker here. I feel like its the opposite. He is expressing frustration with guys who are not motivated to win but rather show up and collect a paycheck. A problem that may very well be present in a poorly run franchise. Now maybe he needs to learn to grow as a leader in motivating people but that hardly makes him a cancer in my opinion.
thats cause you may have a bias. Like him or not he’s a divisive player. Those comments alienate him from players.
Your opinion nor my opinion on those comments don’t mean anything. No one in the NFL cares if you think there’s nothing wrong with it. The only opinion that matters are what players think of him calling them out.

Last edited:

Rosco

Reaction score
Baker hasn’t been moved for 2 reasons.
1. The Browns are being stubborn and are unwilling to accept they have no leverage in the situation. They are going to eat that 18 million. Not a single team is taking on that salary.

2. Baker hasn’t “tilted the room” to us a Schneider quote. He frankly hasn’t been that great and they current situation with the Browns has made him out to appear immature.

Baker will end up somewhere, maybe even Seattle. But that’s after the Brown eat it and cut the guy.
Baker is looking immature cause he’s immature. The Browns didn’t hold a gun to his head in his tweets and interviews

Last edited:

Rosco

Reaction score
Baker has shown he is better than what we currently have on the roster. I agree we shouldn't pay him 18 though. If he comes cheap (like 6 to 8 mill) I think he is worth a shot over what we currently have
Is a divisive player that will divide the locker room worth it?

Own The West

Reaction score

"How can I get the best out of people that are making a ton of money?" This right here is why he's a **** QB. He has no idea how to lead. Every team in the league has people that are making a ton of money, and his idea is to try to shame them into playing for him?

Good luck with that.