Do we have a championship calibur O-line?

jman316

Reaction score
I know it's blasphemy to some for anyone to criticize the Hawks right now, but for the sake of conversation (and the fact that I can't seem to consume enough Seahawks news/discussion/media right these days) I wanted to ask if others are worried about our o-line.

Maybe the stat guys can bring some facts to the discussion, but considering the sacks we have given up the past two weeks, I'm not sure our line is capable of stopping an elite pass rush.

The other day I had a flash of the Seahawks in the Superbowl vs. the Broncos and Von Miller was working us over. As confident as I am in this Hawks team (I was the among the "no worries" crowd when down 0-14 last week), it would be heart-breaking to make it to the championship game again only to be denied... again.

Yes Wilson is a smart, elusive QB, Cable is a great coach and we have 2 pro bowlers, but my only real concern about our team is the offensive line.

GO HAWKS!!

JonRud

Reaction score
It seems to me from past Super Bowl winners you don't necessarily need a dominant offensive line, just one that is 'good enough'. We have not been great in pass protection lately but obviously they are doing a fantastic job in run blocking.

I agree we can't keep giving up 5-6 sacks per game...but I think the fact that we have won 8 out of 9 games against some tough teams proves this O-Line is good enough to beat anyone.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
We have a championship caliber team. That's good enuf for me.

To expect any team to consist entirely of All-Pro players and Pro Bowl players (or close to it) is not realistic.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Some of the sacks are on Wilson though at the same time. Before the draft (Gruden's Camp) one of the only gripes Gruden had was Wilson not picking up the blitz before the snap. You can go back and watch some of the game where he gets sacked, there will be an obvious blitz and he won't check the play at the line and have someone pick it up. It doesn't happen but maybe once or twice a game...if that. However, for someone that studies as much as he does, you'd think he would dedicate more time to perfecting this skill set. Gruden really got on his ass about it.

That's just what I've noticed from watching games this year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson not perfecting his reads, receivers not always getting open, running backs missing blocking assignments...lots of factors going in here. I find it hard to complain about our O-line when we've got the #2 rushing attack and a QB that can buy time.

sam1313

Reaction score
I don't think it is champion caliber, but not many lines could be with a 7th round defensive lineman starting at right tackle. Add the fact that Breno isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed, and that our left tackle is a very mediocre jack-of-all trades, and I can't see how you call the line "champion caliber." That said, Marshawn and Russel often make it look like we have a champion caliber line, and our line tries freaking really, really hard - regardless of who is in there (thanks Cable & PC).

Hawks46

Reaction score
Championship caliber ? No. We're weak at RT, RG, and average at LG. We're very good to elite at Center and LT, which are the two most important spots.

Good enough to win a championship ? Yes. The scheme, combined with elite coaching (Cable), decent depth, and the team working to it's strengths equate to a very good run game, mostly assignment correct blocking, and decent pass protection.

We're very strong at run blocking, both at the point of attack and the 2nd level. We're good at pass protection, but weak in spots at picking up blitzes and stunts. We have strengths and weaknesses, but then again most teams do. I think a couple of decent (not even good) 1st or 2nd round picks would really upgrade the interior OL. Carpenter can be pretty good at Guard, but he's not reliable from a health standpoint.

Veilside

Reaction score
I think we'll be stronger next season if Carpenter can stay health at LG.

m0ng0

Reaction score
a champiship oline? hell no! do we have a championship team? Hell yeah !

zayden185

Reaction score
Yup

Marshawn had how many yards. Takes over games and Ices it away!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The O-Line could use some work obviously. However, like others said, we have a championship caliber team. And, more importantly, we are one of the best running teams in the league. We can put up 200+ quite often. Teams that can eat up that much clock have a great shot.

TalonHawk

Reaction score
Our O-line is actually going to hold out this game. I bet we get held under 2 sacks. I bet how we lose is actually by our secondary. Count It!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
TalonHawk":2ewksyl8 said:
Our O-line is actually going to hold out this game. I bet we get held under 2 sacks. I bet how we lose is actually by our secondary. Count It!

Well I guess you've spoken and that is that. You are also predicting that one of the better secondaries in the league, and the strength of this team, will lose the game for us. The only way that happens is if the offensive line generates zero pressure giving Ryan all day to throw. With any pressure at all, our CBs and saftety are very tough to beat.

I'm gonna call it like I see it. You are a Falcons fan impersonating a Seahawk fan. Your greatest fear is our seconday and that's why you're here talking sh*t in a feeble effort to convince yourself that somehow they will be defeated. This is further backed-up with your other posts that bag on our best CB. "COUNT IT!"

How old are you anyway? I think it's suppertime. Make sure you eat all your veggies or you won't get any pudding. Now run along.

minormillikin

Reaction score
If we didn't have Wilson, I think it would be a daily drumbeat about how bad out O-Line is at pass protection.

If it were Flynn or TJack, depending on a reliable pocket to form around them, we'd seriously be screwed. Wilson is the perfect QB for our half-developed offensive line, because he finds ways to escape and make plays in disastrous scenarios.

One thing I remember from watching games last year with TJack, is that on the rare occasion he had some time in the pocket to make a pass, something positive usually happened. But, more often then not, he was being enveloped so quickly that there wasn't a chance. A really superior pocket passer might have had some success on our team, but an exceptionally average pocket passer (like Tjack/Flacco/Cassel/Schaub) would not have worked with our O-Line.

But, we have Wilson. And that might make the O-Line good enough. Heck, he might be even more dangerous with a subpar O-Line than he would be with a good one!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
This offensive line has set the platform for an elite running attack, has neutralised top pass rushers like Julius Peppers, Cameron Wake, Aldon Smith, Mario Williams and Clay Matthews. It's taken two lots of heavy blitz against a rookie QB to create any kind of pressure.

We have won 12 games with one of the most efficient offenses in the league.

So yeah, the offensive line is more than good enough.

Oh for the day when Seahawks fans accept you don't need five first round picks playing offensive line to succeed. Our line is plenty good enough.