Earl Thomas expected to report week 1

hawkfan68

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":h84sdume said:
hawksincebirth":h84sdume said:
I’ll always support these players in there holdouts .. the teams show no loyalty. He has earned every he’s asked for
I support the players when the CBA is being negotiated. They deserve the money more than the team owners.

But when it comes to players holding out, I side with the team. The player made an agreement to take x% of the pie, and how wants a bigger slice, but the pie has already been shared with the assumption that the player was only taking x%. They can't go back and take agreed amounts of pie from other players just because someone wants a bigger slice.

Teams - and players - terminate contracts all the time. Sherman got cut. Kam retired unoffcially so he could collect his guaranteed money. It's the same thing. Neither teams nor players are in the business of loyalty. Kam could officially retire and give the team some cap relief, but he's not going to and - this is the important part - the Seahawks have to honour their contract with him.

People talk about teams breaching contracts, but they don't. They pay every cent agreed in the contract to the player and the player signs the contract knowing there are options for the team to terminate. Both parties agree to the terms when they sign the paper. But if the team agrees to guaranteed money, then the team pays that money, period.

I believe Richard Sherman and Jeremy Lane would disagree with you on this.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...wks-as-no-trade-appears-to-have-materialized/.

The Seahawks didn't honor their contract with Richard Sherman or Lane. Per the article, they wanted Sherman to take a pay cut. When he declined to take a pay cut, they released him. That's not honoring a signed contract in my book.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1vj1llux said:
KiwiHawk":1vj1llux said:
hawksincebirth":1vj1llux said:
I’ll always support these players in there holdouts .. the teams show no loyalty. He has earned every he’s asked for
I support the players when the CBA is being negotiated. They deserve the money more than the team owners.

But when it comes to players holding out, I side with the team. The player made an agreement to take x% of the pie, and how wants a bigger slice, but the pie has already been shared with the assumption that the player was only taking x%. They can't go back and take agreed amounts of pie from other players just because someone wants a bigger slice.

Teams - and players - terminate contracts all the time. Sherman got cut. Kam retired unoffcially so he could collect his guaranteed money. It's the same thing. Neither teams nor players are in the business of loyalty. Kam could officially retire and give the team some cap relief, but he's not going to and - this is the important part - the Seahawks have to honour their contract with him.

People talk about teams breaching contracts, but they don't. They pay every cent agreed in the contract to the player and the player signs the contract knowing there are options for the team to terminate. Both parties agree to the terms when they sign the paper. But if the team agrees to guaranteed money, then the team pays that money, period.

I believe Richard Sherman would disagree with you on this.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...wks-as-no-trade-appears-to-have-materialized/. The Seahawks didn't honor their contract with Richard Sherman, as a matter of fact they wanted him to take a pay cut. That's not honoring a signed contract in my book.
What then is the CBA? Is that not a signed contract? In the CBA it grants teams the right to cut players, which could have been negotiated out if the players wanted to. It's called an Umbrella contract (seriously look it up, it's real).

Anyway, we're getting pretty off topic here... This should be about Earl Thomas and his return. Welcome back Earl!!! :179417:

Cartire

Reaction score
hawkfan68":10u3drfn said:
KiwiHawk":10u3drfn said:
hawksincebirth":10u3drfn said:

I believe Richard Sherman would disagree with you on this.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...wks-as-no-trade-appears-to-have-materialized/.

The Seahawks didn't honor their contract with Richard Sherman, as a matter of fact they wanted him to take a pay cut. When he declined to take a pay cut, they released him. That's not honoring a signed contract in my book.

Yes it is. Because in the contract, it stated they can cut him and depending what date it was done on, might owe a certain amount of guaranteed money. That was the deal. Thats the contract. They didnt break the contract illegally. They broke it by the terms set in the contract that was signed. Pretty simple.

There's nothing stopping a player from only signing a contract with fully guarantees or their own termination clauses. But none of them do, because teams wont offer them (some do now actually, look at Kirk). Players need to set that precedent for themselves or get it in the new CBA. Its all very simple in terms of right and wrong. You may have differing values to the situation, but the teams do honor the contracts by the letter of the contract. It's why dead money exist.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards taking the second round pick it's a very valuable pick that we need next year. Does Earl make the difference between making the playoffs or not. I guess we will find out if no trade is made. It's not a make or break decision either way so i'm ok with trading him or rolling the dice and keeping him. However for the long term trading him makes the most sense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":umvihajw said:

Why is the word "loyalty" only used in pro sports, like there's some contractual emotion that players and teams need to take into account when signing contracts?

Earl was the highest paid safety ever when he signed his contract, and he will get every bit of the 40M now that he's reported to camp.

So exactly what loyalty are we talking about? You want the Hawks to make another terrible business decision by giving an aging player a massive 3rd contract extension? That's not loyal, that's just a stupid business decision.

Earl now has the ability to earn another big contract by playing well and showing the rest of the league that he's still one of the best safeties in the league.................or he will expose the concerns we had in giving him an extension by getting injured again or showing signs of diminished ability.

Loyalty? Nope, it's just cold hard business my friend.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The only reason to turn down a 2nd round pick is if they plan to have Earl Thomas for multiple seasons.

Pete Carroll said as much today, that they would like to keep Thomas for the rest of his career.

I think they would probably need to exercise the franchise tag option, assuming they can’t get an extension done by that time. Then that (franchise tag) becomes a placeholder that allows them to negotiate a long-term extension.

Using the non-exclusive tag would allow Thomas to negotiate with other teams, so that he and his agent gain a more realistic appraisal of his market value at this point in his career.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":23xcl354 said:
The only reason to turn down a 2nd round pick is if they plan to have Earl Thomas for multiple seasons.

Pete Carroll said as much today, that they would like to keep Thomas for the rest of his career.

I think they would probably need to exercise the franchise tag option, assuming they can’t get an extension done by that time. Then that (franchise tag) becomes a placeholder that allows them to negotiate a long-term extension.

Using the non-exclusive tag would allow Thomas to negotiate with other teams, so that he and his agent gain a more realistic appraisal of his market value at this point in his career.

We'll see how it plays out but I do not expect Earl Thomas to be here after this season. I don't care what Pete said today that's just not a comment I put any stock in right now . Like to keep sure but let's not pretend these two sides are on the same page because clearly there not.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":dbnc2okx said:
hawknation2018":dbnc2okx said:

We'll see how it plays out but I do not expect Earl Thomas to be here after this season. I don't care what Pete said today that's just not a comment I put any stock in right now . Like to keep sure but let's not pretend these two sides are on the same page because clearly there not.

Then why turn down a 2nd for one season? That wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

Franchise tag amount for safeties isn’t so bad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3ffyle24 said:

I could certainly see us franchising Earl if he has a great year, no one meets our 1st round asking price and he continues to want Eric Berry money.

Obviously best case scenario is Dallas or whoever gives in and offers a 1st rounder...........OR Earl gives in and sees that the safety market is at rock bottom right now and becomes more reasonable in his extension demands.

Because I do believe Pete when he says he'd love Earl to finish his career here, but not for 40M guaranteed and highest paid safety in the league. I think we're more in the 2-3 year @ 10-13M a year with 20M guaranteed range.

Like Duane Brown did, shorter term with half guaranteed.

AgentDib

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1af6x623 said:
This could be the way forwards. There's a disconnect between the actual market for safeties and what Thomas thinks he is worth. The non-exclusive tag has been working out pretty well lately for teams and players.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1037478326468632576[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1037473168892391425[/tweet]

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":a88or1f8 said:
Northwest Seahawk":a88or1f8 said:
hawknation2018":a88or1f8 said:

Then why turn down a 2nd for one season? That wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

Franchise tag amount for safeties isn’t so bad.

If the trade isn't made then it could very well be Pete would rather have Earl on the field this year than trade him for a second round pick. Very simple . As far as a contract extension or franchise tag i find that unlikely and there's no way to know that right now. What we do know is there has been no contract extension and there was a holdout as a result . It seems your of the opinion that not making the trade could only mean Earl comes back next year i find that assesment unlikely based on all that happened. I don't think they will trade him right now though so if you think they should keep him and pay him long term i guess you still have some hope.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
rcaido":e2pbjijq said:
So he doesn't miss any games & you guys still hating on Thomas. This is awesome news, playoffs here we come! I knew he wouldn't miss any games. Guy lives for football, its in his blood. HOpefully he goes injury free and we resign him for the remainder of his career!

It's awesome news that he hasn't practiced with his team?
And may be rusty with no practice and no pre season games?

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Has there been any indication if he will play Sunday I hope he does and I hope he gets an INT.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":mmeaxq3u said:
Has there been any indication if he will play Sunday I hope he does and I hope he gets an INT.

I believe so (assuming he makes it through practices ok).

massari

Reaction score
Cowboys insider says they just upped their offer again

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JJT_Journalist/status/1037472533493293057[/tweet]

D

DomeHawk

So, I am assuming that if he plays out his final year and there is no extension we could franchise him next year?

Probably not something you want to do with it causing hard feelings but it's doable?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
massari":msw9ueac said:
It's not over yet. Cowboys insider says they just upped their offer again

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JJT_Journalist/status/1037472533493293057[/tweet]
They know Seattle will turn down anything less than a first round pick and maybe the Hawks want more than that.
This is just attempt to look like they (*allas) are serious to a really pissed off fanbase, who sees that they have crapola at the Free Safety position.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1rluqiyz said:
So, I am assuming that if he plays out his final year and there is no extension we could franchise him next year?

Probably not something you want to do with it causing hard feelings but it's doable?
Yes, they can franchise him at a decent rate for 2 years, the 3rd year gets real expensive.

rcaido

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":237col73 said:
rcaido":237col73 said:
So he doesn't miss any games & you guys still hating on Thomas. This is awesome news, playoffs here we come! I knew he wouldn't miss any games. Guy lives for football, its in his blood. HOpefully he goes injury free and we resign him for the remainder of his career!

It's awesome news that he hasn't practiced with his team?
And may be rusty with no practice and no pre season games?

Seriously, its awesome because we have a pro bowl player back. Plenty of veterans miss pre-season all the time. i rather have starters barely play to avoid injury in a meaningless game. Only people who is on the bubble or trying to win a starting spot cares about it. Earl is veteran he knows what he's been doing and if you seen his twitter he is an amazing shape right now. Stop being butthurt