Geno Smith...

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If any other starting QB put up the numbers Geno does it would be considered terrible. Imagine if Rodgers, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, RW, put up numbers like that and averaged a little over 1 td passing in games they play. They would be called mediocre at best. Because Geno does it, excuses fly out. It’s ridiculous. It’s like giving an participation award to losing teams. I expect players on my team to perform better. Not just so so at best.

Getting a high comp pct isn’t difficult. Lots of QBs throw for a high comp pct. Kirk Cousins has a high comp pct. The top QBs throw for many tds and are on top scoring teams. From what seen from Smith tells me he’s inconsistent in leading the teams on scoring drives. He played most of the past 2 games and the Seahawks have only 13 offensive points when he’s played. Only one rushing td. That’s not good enough however you slice it (scoring wise).
You’re not going to win many games that way.
Kirk Cousins is pretty good... probably not the best example.

The difference your post doesn't seem to consider or grasp is that literally no one thinks that Geno Smith can reasonably compete with those top quarterbacks.

The argument that "Geno has performed solidly in the preseason" is not akin to making excuses for him.

In fact, you're making excuses for the entire offensive supporting cast for committing blatant errors when blaming this all on Geno, and it's pretty clear from most of the tape on his preseason play.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
Dang, y'all still damage controlling for Geno in here?

Geno Smith hasn't earned the starting job, despite being the highest graded QB per PFF in the pre-season (with 0 TD passes. LOL) And can't beat out the Covid stricken Drew Lock?

Say it ain't so? If Geno was half as good as some are claiming he would've already been named the starter, not dragging out the competition well into September.

The hills people choose to die on, I'll never understand.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Geno Smith hasn't earned the starting job, despite being the highest graded QB per PFF in the pre-season (with 0 TD passes. LOL) And can't beat out the Covid stricken Drew Lock?

Say it ain't so? If Geno was half as good as some are claiming he would've already been named the starter, not dragging out the competition well into September.

Shadow boxing with your imaginary opponents again, champ?

No one is claiming Geno is overly "good," so your post here seems... random? Nonsensical? Not based in reality? Awkward?

Scout

Reaction score

The difference your post doesn't seem to consider or grasp is that literally no one thinks that Geno Smith can reasonably compete with those top quarterbacks.

The argument that "Geno has performed solidly in the preseason" is not akin to making excuses for him.

In fact, you're making excuses for the entire offensive supporting cast for committing blatant errors when blaming this all on Geno, and it's pretty clear from most of the tape on his preseason play.
The problem with Cousins is that he is an above average QB that is paid like he is in the top ten. Geno showed NFL average QB play last season in spot duty.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The problem with Cousins is that he is an above average QB that is paid like he is in the top ten. Geno showed NFL average QB play last season in spot duty.
Yeah, I'd agree with that sentiment. I don't want to compare Geno to Cousins, because Cousins is better - but yeah, I don't think he's leading a team to the Super Bowl any time soon, unless he's gifted one of the best supporting casts in recent memory.

toffee

Reaction score

Me, a homer, is hoping Geno or Lock has some Jeff Garcia in them. Walsh took Garcia with him when Bill rejoined 9ers as GM.

Jeff was undrafted, undersized (6' 200lbs), happy feet, and weak armed (according to TO). And even Walsh said publicly that Jeff had limited upside. But Jeff was a multiple pro-bowler, his weakness was helped by excellent receivers to the tune of two HOF GOATs Jerry Rice and TO, and WCO that hided his lack of arm strength.

Garcia had limited success once playing without those two WRs, Toffee the homer is hoping our two excellent WRs and a QB friendly system will help Geno or Lock to reach new height in their career.

Last edited:

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Interception was in the Rams game, and it was because his receiver fell down.

Lost fumble totally on him. TJ Watt got him and he just wasn't holding on tight enough.

Edit: Not to mention that said interception came after Geno dragged them back into the game with a 98 yard touchdown drive.

So, I went back and checked out the four games Geno played in last year and this is the summary:

Rams: He had an opportunity in the final seconds for a tie or victory. He threw an interception.....Rams win
Pittsburgh: Geno fumbles in OT.....Steelers win
Saints: Took a pair of sacks late......Saints win
Jaguars: 1-16.....Enough said.

toffee

Reaction score
So, I went back and checked out the four games Geno played in last year and this is the summary:

Rams: He had an opportunity in the final seconds for a tie or victory. He threw an interception.....Rams win
Pittsburgh: Geno fumbles in OT.....Steelers win
Saints: Took a pair of sacks late......Saints win
Jaguars: 1-16.....Enough said.
You watched the Rams game? Really? Lockett was either pushed or tripped, when the ball was in the air, Geno's WR was on the ground when the call arrived.
We must watched a different game.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
You watched the Rams game? Really? Lockett was either pushed or tripped, when the ball was in the air, Geno's WR was on the ground when the call arrived.
We must watched a different game.
Geno threw it after scrambling. It was into coverage and probably would have resulted in an interception anyways.

hawkfan68

Reaction score

After re-reading what I had originally posted, I agree the comparision to Cousins wasn't a great example. I should have compared him to the likes of Mitch Trubisky and Garder Minshew. He still loses out to them too. Over his career, he has averaged one passing td per game. In the NFL, that's not going to get it done. It's one of the reasons why he has a losing record in his career. It's not the only reason but it does factor into that number. He is consistently continued that path when he played last season (regular) and so far this preseason. When your team can't score, it puts a lot of pressure on your defense. That's all I'm saying. He is who he is. To me that is not good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
No one makes it playing for the Jets, and yes, I have seen him play. I think I've made that abundantly clear, so I'm not sure what you think you're doing by asking.

And here we go again. Same cycle of completely thoughtless replies.
Thoughtless? I cited career stats in real games, you are pointing to preseason. After 10 years in the league, you are what your stat line and record say you are. In Geno's case, that would mean dude is trash.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I suppose I should play the game of BOTH saying Geno rocks and Geno sucks so that no matter what happens I AM RIGHT? “Even though I spent days White Knighting for Geno ‘member that one post where I said he might not be good. I WAS RIGHT!”

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I suppose I should play the game of BOTH saying Geno rocks and Geno sucks so that no matter what happens I AM RIGHT? “Even though I spent days White Knighting for Geno ‘member that one post where I said he might not be good. I WAS RIGHT!”
Haha, you're so mad.

Judging the dudes past performance with Seattle does not constitute white knighting.

Saying that his performance could decline is not playing both sides, it's being a reasonable person. You should try it. You don't have to be balls-to-the-wall on one side or the other. That's just unreasonable and, frankly, naive.

I've been nothing but open about the fact that I don't think he's an above average starting quarterback, like some of the more... excitable... members here like to say I do. I would say you should know this from this thread, but you haven't been reading the thread before posting replies so far - so not sure why I'd expect that now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Thoughtless? I cited career stats in real games, you are pointing to preseason. After 10 years in the league, you are what your stat line and record say you are. In Geno's case, that would mean dude is trash.
Yes. The bog standard "Have you seen him play?" variety of comment.

Have  you? Because I don't see you talking about his specific play. I see a generic comment that basically amounts to "the Jets and he sucks," with scarcely any detail or analysis or... anything?

And I mean, that's totally fine to express that viewpoint/opinion!

But yeah... clearly, I've watched him play.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think Maelstrom's takes are reasonable. Not really sure why he's being attacked repeatedly for having some faith that Geno isn't a complete failure. I'm convinced people aren't actually reading what he's saying.

toffee

Reaction score
For season opener QB comparison, PFF ranked Russ as 5th and Geno as 30th. Interestingly, Geno and Russ both were rated at 73.9 for their '21 season, a case of Russ's floor was Geno's ceiling.

Looked closely, Geno enjoyed higher passer rating with clean pocket, 131 vs 111. Geno fell apart under pressure 26.5 vs 85.1. With an improving OL, Geno may enjoy more clean pocket. It also hint hint at Russ not doing that great when the pocket was clean?
Geno vs Russ

G-Ache

Reaction score
Being a longtime lurker, reading this forum sometimes feels like reading a political discussion where one side refuses to read or attempt to understand what opposing view points are saying. Maelstrom has been clear from the beginning that he's saying Geno is not playing AS BAD as people say he is, and is actually playing pretty decent and has actual points and referenced situations that reflect that, and yet he's being replied to like he's saying that Geno is going to save the season.

Drops have been prevalent, penalties in the last game were horrible. Fewer drops and penalties would have significantly changed the stat line.

That said, I don't want to see Geno starting, would much rather roll with Lock. Just saying Maelstrom isn't wrong. Geno hasn't been as bad as it looks.

Everyone here, with a few exceptions, is rooting for the same team. Why do people have such visceral my side/your side takes?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
For season opener QB comparison, PFF ranked Russ as 5th and Geno as 30th. Interestingly, Geno and Russ both were rated at 73.9 for their '21 season, a case of Russ's floor was Geno's ceiling.

Looked closely, Geno enjoyed higher passer rating with clean pocket, 131 vs 111. Geno fell apart under pressure 26.5 vs 85.1. With an improving OL, Geno may enjoy more clean pocket. It also hint hint at Russ not doing that great when the pocket was clean?
View attachment 54201
What is Power Rating?