Helfrich fired! Taggart hired!

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":3v9ev1zj said:
Don't understand what he brings to the table....

What don't you like about him? He doesn't have power 5 coaching experience, other then that he's everything you could want in a coach. Harbaugh called him the best recruiter he's ever seen. Already seen tweets from 2 different Florida high school studs saying they're going wherever coach taggarts going. Dudes going to kill it getting players to Oregon.

Took over two crappy teams (western Michigan and south Florida) and made them pretty good really quickly.

cesame

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1zl8oxsl said:
cesame":1zl8oxsl said:

What don't you like about him? He doesn't have power 5 coaching experience, other then that he's everything you could want in a coach. Harbaugh called him the best recruiter he's ever seen. Already seen tweets from 2 different Florida high school studs saying they're going wherever coach taggarts going. Dudes going to kill it getting players to Oregon.

Took over two crappy teams (western Michigan and south Florida) and made them pretty good really quickly.

For one thing he was option 4 for Oregon (Herman/Rhule/Chip)

Second, exactly what is his expertise?

I see USF averaged a lot of pts last year, but is it clear he's actually the one behind that? From what I've heard he's more of a smash mouth football guy that decided to change it up and go to the spread. Seems like the coordinator should get a lot of the credit for that.

Every team has a guy that can recruit. Besides, the two most important things in recruiting is the chance to play for a NC and location/tradition. It's not like he's going to start stealing 5 star recruits.

A little unimpressed right now. I'm not convinced Oregon ever wins 10 games or more with him.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":189scppm said:
JSeahawks":189scppm said:
cesame":189scppm said:

I see USF averaged a lot of pts last year, but is it clear he's actually the one behind that? From what I've heard he's more of a smash mouth football guy that decided to change it up and go to the spread. Seems like the coordinator should get a lot of the credit for that.

Every team has a guy that can recruit. Besides, the two most important things in recruiting is the chance to play for a NC and location/tradition. It's not like he's going to start stealing 5 star recruits.

A little unimpressed right now. I'm not convinced Oregon ever wins 10 games or more with him.

He was south florida's play caller, so yea he should get credit for it. I would have loved Herman or chip, but thank god we didnt get rhule, that's as boring of a hire as possible.

Give this guy time and I bet you'll be won over. And I'll bet you'll be surprised at the recruits he can get. Chip had us in the 12-18th range in recruiting. Helfrich struggled to get us in the top 25. I bet this guy will put together classes right up there with chips. (Probably to late for that this year, but for years to come).

He wasnt my first pick either, but the more I read about him, and read opinions about him from big time football people, the more I get excited.

It' also should be pointed out that Dana Altman wasnt even in the top 10 in our basketball coaching search, but look how we'll that turned out.

Time will tell. I hope duck fans will give him a chance z

cesame

Reaction score
Good to hear he was the one calling plays. Didn't know that.

Ultimately need to see a staff in place. That will make a big difference one way or another.

It will be interesting to see if he can get guys that decommitted to come back. If he's a HR recruiter then Lenoir better come back.

If not then I'm not sure he's the recruiter he's being sold as

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":bmljs2oj said:
Good to hear he was the one calling plays. Didn't know that.

Ultimately need to see a staff in place. That will make a big difference one way or another.

It will be interesting to see if he can get guys that decommitted to come back. If he's a HR recruiter then Lenoir better come back.

If not then I'm not sure he's the recruiter he's being sold as

Lenoir already said he loves the hire and is anxious to see who the db coach will be. And I agree, defensive staff is extremely important. Have a feeling we'll be trading a lot of experience for a lot of youth and energy.

CPHawk

Reaction score
cesame":3jo9ti3k said:
JSeahawks":3jo9ti3k said:
cesame":3jo9ti3k said:

Rhule would have been awful, not sure if we actually offered him the job or not, but so glad he's not coming here. Look at the guy? Would you move from LA to play for a guy who looks like that?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Fantastic hire. I'm indifferent towards the Ducks, but I believe Taggart and Orgeron will prove the most successful of this hiring season.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CPHawk":2au0cew5 said:
Rhule would have been awful, not sure if we actually offered him the job or not, but so glad he's not coming here. Look at the guy? Would you move from LA to play for a guy who looks like that?

What are your thoughts on Taggart?

CPHawk

Reaction score
I actually like it now after researching him. Im curious to see how we look going forward and who he hires on staff. I've even seen FSU fans say they thought he would have been the hire of Jimbo left for LSU. He's well liked and respected down south, just most of us out west haven't seen his teams much.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1bobjzbo said:
JSeahawks":1bobjzbo said:
hawkfan68":1bobjzbo said:
Taggart's career coaching record at USF is 24-25. I hear Petersen breathing a sigh of relief.

That's what happens when you take over shitty programs. Look at Petersen at UW, his teams record regressed his first two seasons. Taggart has taken over two crappy teams and turned them around quickly. I love the hire. He wouldn't have been my first choice but he fits the mold of exactly what I wanted.

From the harbaugh coaching tree, plays a spread type offense, young and energetic, love that oregon has their first African American coach, that will make a much stronger presence in recruits living rooms then the whitest man in America, mark helfrich.

Curious to see who the d. Coordinator will be, but so far I'm happy.

That's what I said about Willingham and Romar... :pukeface:

Taggert and Willingham seem as different as night and day. One never smiled the other has a permanent smile. Willie T seems more like a players coach like Tomlinson. And to be fair to Romar, he was good for about 4-5 years then he went into the toilet.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Fwiw Sherm gave him a glowing review, and Willie was the one who recruited Angry Doug to Stanford.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
First order of business for Taggart... he's on a plane tonight to Hawaii. Going to get us a 5 star QB. Tua Tagalaivoa.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":2h10xhkx said:
Seems like a stretch to flip him from Bama

Mods on duckterritory have been saying for months that if we wanted Tua we could get him. Helfrich and staff slow played him and didnt even offer until after he commited to Alabama. New coach, making him the first order of business will hopefully make a big impression on the kid and his family. If coach can convince him to visit I think he'll be a Duck.

Fingers crossed.

He's a few inches shorter but other then that a Mariota clone.

cesame

Reaction score
Don't count on it. I haven't followed this situation, but it sounds like his dad is in control.

Tagovailoa’s father, Galu, told SEC Country that he spoke with Taggart Thursday afternoon and kept it real with him.

“They’re supposed to be out here to see my nephew (3-star defensive end Myron Tagovailoa) and they just wanted to speak to Tua. I’m fine with it,” Galu Tagovailoa said. “I know he’s a new coach and he wants to get the energy going, but at the same time, we expressed to him that Tua is locked in to Alabama. He just wanted a chance to speak with him, and I’m fine with it.”

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alab ... ie-taggart

Uncle Si

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2h8azt7o said:
cesame":2h8azt7o said:

Can he coach though?

Minnesota hired Tim Brewster a few years back. Guy was supposed to be one of the best recruiters around. Couldn't coach though.

Oregon needs to get it right. A couple down years turn into a decade pretty quick in college football.

Latest posts