How do they fix D-Line?

justafan

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":119060xo said:
chris98251":119060xo said:
justafan":119060xo said:
Clowney is a tough call. This is his contract year I would have expected more. I doubt he will get better after a career contract. He played tough, did the dirty work and even took over a couple games but for 22 mil you need to get sacks.

We can have one of the worst Ds in the league with or without him or any of the other players. Right now I dont feel much love for anyone on the D side of the ball. I had high hopes for Reed until the suspension.

Back to the draft and see what we can get, hope Green,Poona and Collier develop and see whats out there in FA.

This team has a few more chances to prove they are woth keeping,hopefully the intensity is turned up a notch or 3

This is where you are wrong, when he demands two and three players to defend him he will not get sacks, at least not the double digit ones that Stat idiots attribute to good players, he does however open the way for 3 and 4 other guys to spread Sacks out amongst them.
And the problem is those guys haven't gotten them

I cant disagree. He needs help, most DL that command 22 mil get a lot of double teams. But like I said its a tough call for me I love the guy but I am a bigger fan of the team. We are spending a lot of money on players and not getting the results. If we are even in the top 15 on D I would say we have to keep him but we are near the bottom. We cant get much worse without him. I think spending that money on top end CB and more team speed might go further than paying Clowney and Wright. I am a big fan of both players. Last year I thought Reed was a must keep player but this year he is JAG. It wouldnt surprise if he develops into one of the best DTs in the game but can you pay him with the results of the D?

I have been hopeful about this D all year,if they get lit up in the playoffs I am all in for wholesale changes on that side of the ball. I am not hung up on the name on the back of a jersey I just want a tough fast D that can carry their weight. Its all about the D being better than the sum of the parts and we arent there.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
chris98251":1e960296 said:
justafan":1e960296 said:
Clowney is a tough call. This is his contract year I would have expected more. I doubt he will get better after a career contract. He played tough, did the dirty work and even took over a couple games but for 22 mil you need to get sacks.

We can have one of the worst Ds in the league with or without him or any of the other players. Right now I dont feel much love for anyone on the D side of the ball. I had high hopes for Reed until the suspension.

Back to the draft and see what we can get, hope Green,Poona and Collier develop and see whats out there in FA.

This team has a few more chances to prove they are woth keeping,hopefully the intensity is turned up a notch or 3

This is where you are wrong, when he demands two and three players to defend him he will not get sacks, at least not the double digit ones that Stat idiots attribute to good players, he does however open the way for 3 and 4 other guys to spread Sacks out amongst them.
Which is why Seattle should re-sign him and then sign an edge rusher that can utilize that double/triple team that Clowney gets. That is what Seattle is primarily missing and I think most people see that. Let teams pay for putting too much on one player.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":3aw1zpol said:
chris98251":3aw1zpol said:
justafan":3aw1zpol said:

Which is why Seattle should re-sign him and then sign an edge rusher that can utilize that double/triple team that Clowney gets. That is what Seattle is primarily missing and I think most people see that. Let teams pay for putting too much on one player.
This

Fowler please

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":jcxds8z8 said:
What you DON'T do is re-sign everyone then expect different results! I'm not even signing Clowney at 22+M with his injury history. :177692:

ctrl-alt-del and re-boot. Possibly sign Reed if he comes with a reasonable salary.

:ditto: Re signing the same guys wouldn't fix the problem. Clowney has had three great games. Other than that he's been unavailable or pulled a disappearing act.

And I agree on Reed. This season has been a disappointment for him, which should bring his contract value down in the off-season, which works in our favor.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":zrflw239 said:
justafan":zrflw239 said:

Think again....
That worked well enough for 29th in sacks in the NFL this year. Also we were 1 of 5 teams that were under 20% QB pressure rate which is why we gave up so many explosive plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":237onf9d said:
chris98251":237onf9d said:
justafan":237onf9d said:

Think again....
That worked well enough for 29th in sacks in the NFL this year. Also we were 1 of 5 teams that were under 20% QB pressure rate which is why we gave up so many explosive plays.

So Clowney is suppose to beat double and triple teams, get double digit sacks, stop the run, I guess you also expect him to defend pass plays and return kick offs also, Tez could not win a Championship by his self either, you Stat Wizards need to pull your head out of your asses and computers and actually watch the games.

Sometimes it's not the guy that is doing his job and not putting up big numbers due to other players not taking advantage of what he does for them.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":32aqxqgl said:
They need to start hitting on more of their picks or have one of the young guys develop, plain and simple. We've thrown a lot of draft capital at the position for little return. I believe since 2016 we've used at least one of our first two picks on D-Lineman. Clark and Reed are the only noteworthy players from those classes. Even so Clark was a hot and cold pass rusher that didn't really have a knack for run stopping. Reed had a fantastic season in 2018, but he has been an enigma this season. He's been washed out, has been unable to hold ground and is not getting any pressure. Same defensive coordinator and scheme, different year, drastically different performance. I hope he bounces back.

We also need another Brandon Mebane sort of character. That has been severely lacking since he left our team. Mebane would eat up multiple blockers while collapsing the pocket. Around the time he left is when our defensive line really started declining. Very underrated Seahawk. While he wasn't flashy he was an enabler. He kept the LBs clean and made it so the QB couldn't step up in the pocket. He's done a fantastic job anchoring the SD Chargers line since he left as well.
I totally agree.

These recent draft class has been putrid at best.

I’m sick of the trading down to acquire more picks.

Most have not developed well.

Need to hit on the first round picks and Carroll has not been.

Overall talent needs to get better and get rid of Norton as the DC.

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/byAlistairCorp/status/1212818420577603584[/tweet]
And here's Clowney's double team rate as an edge (x) by pass rush win rate as an edge (y) compared with others for the entire season.

PRWR = rate pass rusher beats blocker in 2.5 seconds.

Notice free agents Quinn and Fowler as well

ENDfrOZW4AARu7Qformatjpgnamelarge

Hoping the league doesn't get carried away making crazy offers with his durability concerns, so the Hawks are able to get him for an even $20M per.

I wonder if Reed is going to get a Sheldon Richardson type contract or a slightly cheaper prove it type deal for a season...

Releasing Britt and Ed Dickson frees up $11.5M and hopefully they can get Wright to take a bit of a pay cut.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":1s56emzj said:
Seymour":1s56emzj said:
chris98251":1s56emzj said:
justafan":1s56emzj said:

Think again....

So Clowney is suppose to beat double and triple teams, get double digit sacks, stop the run, I guess you also expect him to defend pass plays and return kick offs also, Tez could not win a Championship by his self either, you Stat Wizards need to pull your head out of your asses and computers and actually watch the games.

Sometimes it's not the guy that is doing his job and not putting up big numbers due to other players not taking advantage of what he does for them.

That is not even close to what I said!!

How about you attempt to comprehend what wqs being said, or is it that you are the one that cannot see the light?
:roll:

chris98251

Reaction score
Seymour":30veq2vb said:
chris98251":30veq2vb said:
Seymour":30veq2vb said:
chris98251":30veq2vb said:

Think again....

How about you attempt to comprehend what wqs being said, or is it that you are the one that cannot see the light?

Ok Mr. Stat Wizard how do you explain 7 sacks tonight then, rest of the line stepped up maybe?

Go Fish.

Seymour

Reaction score
chris98251":214mwkfi said:
Seymour":214mwkfi said:
chris98251":214mwkfi said:
Seymour":214mwkfi said:
Think again....

Ok Mr. Stat Wizard how do you explain 7 sacks tonight then, rest of the line stepped up maybe?

Go Fish.

Again off target. I said don't sign Clowney because of injury concern and cost. Then I stated as a TEAM we are among the leagues worst in QB pressure and sacks and it spiked the explosive plays against us.

So debate that, not your imaginary made up crap.

A 40 year old QB and 4th string WR and injured TE sure would help though wouldn't it??

jeremiah

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":18x4f1ja said:
chris98251":18x4f1ja said:
justafan":18x4f1ja said:

I would like them to transition to a base 3-4, then we need an edge rusher that can put his hand in the dirt or blitz from the LB position. They just do not have enough players to keep the D line fresh. Bobby is close to his peak, there will be many holes soon, BUT LET's enjoy this Super Bowl run. The Stealers did it in 2005, lets get #24 one like The Bus got in Detroit.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't know how many times today I watched a pocket just begging to be collapsed from the interior and it just never happened.

Clowney can help that happen, but we need someone on the interior who can beat one-on-ones consistently.

massari

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1gk783ct said:
I'm in on all except any reason we can't have both Shelton and Woods? Al will come cheap after the suspension I'd think. He could spell Shelton.
Fowler is 4 years younger than Quinn
Quinn is older but should be a lot cheaper. He's near the top in pass rushing talent but bad against the run. I'm hoping the can get him for around the same salary he has now ($8M per) to play him on passing downs with Green/Collier coming in to stop the run.

hmm don't know if it's a good to pay both Shelton and Woods unless Woods can be signed for vet minimum.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1tlzpkwb said:
They need to start hitting on more of their picks or have one of the young guys develop, plain and simple. We've thrown a lot of draft capital at the position for little return. I believe since 2016 we've used at least one of our first two picks on D-Lineman. Clark and Reed are the only noteworthy players from those classes. Even so Clark was a hot and cold pass rusher that didn't really have a knack for run stopping. Reed had a fantastic season in 2018, but he has been an enigma this season. He's been washed out, has been unable to hold ground and is not getting any pressure. Same defensive coordinator and scheme, different year, drastically different performance. I hope he bounces back.

We also need another Brandon Mebane sort of character. That has been severely lacking since he left our team. Mebane would eat up multiple blockers while collapsing the pocket. Around the time he left is when our defensive line really started declining. Very underrated Seahawk. While he wasn't flashy he was an enabler. He kept the LBs clean and made it so the QB couldn't step up in the pocket. He's done a fantastic job anchoring the SD Chargers line since he left as well.

Mebane? Please Reed is already a better player than Mebane ever was.

morgulon1

Reaction score
If we resign and go with the fuys we have now, were going to get the same results. Im not sure
Clowney is a guy you sign to a UFA defensive end deal at what ever it is DEs are making these days.
He's a HOT/COLD player and disappears for games at a time. Why would Houston be cool with letting
The number 1 overall pick in the draft go that easy? Does that say a lot about John Schneider's skill
Or Houston saying " weve had enough of this !!?

Latest posts