How would you grade today’s offensive play calling?

hawk45

Reaction score
We scored plenty of points last year utilizing a similar game plan. We ran the ball even when it was expected, and made hay. Only difference between this game and the successes we had last year was the play of the OL.

And the OL played poorly, but nowhere near a Cable performance. Russ had pressure, but usually one player at a time, not the 3 player jailbreaks we grew used to seeing.

IMO, the line wasn't that far off, and an Iupati here, and healthier Britt there, and a better performance from Fluker, and the same game plan gets closer to 30 points than 20.

Only time I want to see a game plan change is if defenses start bringing everything they have into the box and stoning us like Dallas did. Then I want to see the slants and screens to push those defenders back. Otherwise, it's still an effective game plan, and one that is well-poised to take advantage of RW's strengths.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawk45":2520on9a said:
We scored plenty of points last year utilizing a similar game plan. We ran the ball even when it was expected, and made hay.

Cincy was one of last year's very worst run defenses. It wasn't exactly nuts to run at them.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3hs3inhu said:
hawk45":3hs3inhu said:
We scored plenty of points last year utilizing a similar game plan. We ran the ball even when it was expected, and made hay.

Cincy was one of last year's very worst run defenses. It wasn't exactly nuts to run at them.

And on that note, when we had to have short yardage with Carson at the end of the game, the OL held their blocks, even Pocic staying engaged, and Carson popped for 20 with the game on the line.

That's the difference with Solari. With Cable, the puny athletic zone blockers were overmatched in short yardage. WIth Solari, we get those critical yards when the whole world knows we're running.

It's Pete ball, but it works just find with good blocking. The blocking will improve this year, of that I'm certain, and then no one will be whining about a heavy dose of run calls.

Tical has the right of it: Russ's best performances are engineered when we pound it and let Russ catch the defense playing run.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawk45":1thdhygb said:
Tical has the right of it: Russ's best performances are engineered when we pound it and let Russ catch the defense playing run.

This was exemplified on the 2nd Dissley TD when the LBer bit up on the potential handoff and left the seam open for a quick throw and catch.

Setting up the run should allow more weeks like this one. How do the Saints prepare for this team next week? Stop the run? Pull up to stop the quick-pass?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Loved the adjustments. Finally they didn't just pump their chest out and say we are a running team blah blah blah. The adjusted to the defense and it ultimately turned in to THREE straight TD drives and a 5 plus minute drive to ice the game.

ttown0026

Reaction score
This past game seemed like some of the best play calling I've seen from the Hawks.

The quick passing was highly effective, got Lockett more involved, kept Russ upright, and tired the D Line and defense all together.

Very impressed, and think the Hawks could make a deep playoff run if they continue to use that approach.

Fade

Reaction score
Fade":2cg87778 said:
Next week playing the Steelers, Pete will unleash Wilson and he will have a monster game.

The agression of the offense is predicated on the opponent. They didnt take the Bengals serious, their gameplan reflected that.

Pete thought against the Bengals all he needed was to run the ball, and take a couple deep play action shots and the game would be over. He knows he is going to need more than that against the Steelers.

QFT

I am not a profit, I have just been paying close attention to this phenomena for a long time.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Fade":1uftudmz said:
Fade":1uftudmz said:
Next week playing the Steelers, Pete will unleash Wilson and he will have a monster game.

The agression of the offense is predicated on the opponent. They didnt take the Bengals serious, their gameplan reflected that.

Pete thought against the Bengals all he needed was to run the ball, and take a couple deep play action shots and the game would be over. He knows he is going to need more than that against the Steelers.

QFT

I am not a profit, I have just been paying close attention to this phenomena for a long time.

It's likelier that Pete's decision to run the ball stemmed from the fact that the Bengals were a terrible run defense last year.

Fade

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":fornp5u6 said:
Fade":fornp5u6 said:
Fade":fornp5u6 said:

QFT

It's likelier that Pete's decision to run the ball stemmed from the fact that the Bengals were a terrible run defense last year.

This game against the Saints will be very interesting to me. Do they scheme like they are playing the Bengals again due to going against a backup, and keep Wilson on a leash. Or do they let him throw it 30-35 times again, and go to the quick game.

I have no doubt if it is Brees, they go full pedal. Against lesser QB opponents Pete is much more interested in emphasizing his beliefs.

Litmus test upcoming.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think you’re quite wrong here. Against better offenses, Pete would prefer to slow the game down. We went to the quick game against the Steelers because they were playing aggressively up front and manhandling us, while playing soft in the back. It’s just how Pittsburgh plays. The Saints play far more conservatively.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would call today's play-calling "offensive." If anything, we adapted sooner and more effectively than in the past.

Latest posts