How would you grade today’s offensive play calling?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":2b5kxajx said:
Needs more boots. Needs more quick hitters. Needs more under center runs.

I like that they have decided to pass to the RBs this year. They don't win this game without that emphasis, fumble aside.

Not a great gameplan. It was very lazy and was a disservice to the players on the field.
Bingo!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Playing calling gets an F+, and the plus is because they somehow squeaked out a Win.

quadsas

Reaction score
Seriously, why is Wilson allowing himself to get pummeled like that year after year after year instead of trying to flex. Clearly this year has showed that if you want something done as a player it's not gonna be too hard. Become what Peyton was for Colts, start running the god damn offence instead of taking orders from an old coach who's offensive playcalling rivals 7 year olds on Madden and a yes man who's been a failure everywhere.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Scorpion05":e2wh2avt said:
Optimus25":e2wh2avt said:
Scorpion05":e2wh2avt said:
I’m honestly surprised people who have been watching football for this long, are convinced the Bengals will be bad this year. If anything, they’re an unknown.

The protection from the O-line was absolutely atrocious today. So yea Schotty deserves crap, but our O-line was a wide open door. Vannett, Brown, Ifedi, all of them got abused.

Wilson may not have the burst anymore, but the idea that his legs are no longer a factor is silly. He’s still fast enough to make some 5-20 yard runs. In fact, we SAW Wilson make a 20 yard run before Jennings ruined it in preseason. So the read option will remain effective, and every team that plays us GAME PLANS to keep Wilson from scrambling or running

So they 'game plan' to keep Wilson from running even tho it is point blank evident on the tv screen that russ can keep at least 1/5 RO handoffs for a decent gain? and THEY game plan to the point that WE do few boots and roll outs to get Russ mobile early and often?

I just don't see any 'game plans' killing us except for our own. If the protection is atrocious, adjust. Running into a brick wall over and over, like last year's playoffs, will just bring to life the definition of insanity.

The low/mid 20 something ppg Seahawks will not win anymore. Even Dalton with the big numbers was still 'Dalton' and missed a few key throws. Any other premier team takes this game easily from us. We have to target 28-30 a game minimum with this defense, and we looked every bit the part of a 21 point production/game team today.

Yes.

Literally in almost every game, Wilson has a spy. Teams still have to defend the run, and read options are split second decisions.

In literally every press conference, the defensive teams say "we need to contain Wilson." Our gameplan also acknowledges that effort and attempts to punish that perception by keeping Wilson in the pocket. Even if we don't always succeed at it

Wilson usually opts to run more in the 4th quarter, and possibly in the 1st, because he likes to conserve energy throughout the game. Idk if you are aware of Pete ball, but the whole "It's how you finish" mindset is an actual thing. We believe in rope a dope then knock outs at the end. Russ conserves his legs, especially as he ages, for when the defense is tired by the 4th quarter. I mean, we've seen this consistently for this entire era and especially for the last 2-3 years.

if true then we got fleeced with the mega contract. Other teams desperately try to game plan for Tom Brady too and look, 20-rip in one half tonight vs pitt. With the money we invested, it's more than rope a dope money and without the LOB we know for a fact that PeteBall can only eeek out the playoffs and not contend once in. So somethings gotta give and my argument is it's the stupid rope a dope/rest my legs for 3 quarters BS.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Some good:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1170835459213352961[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1170806043145883648[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1170805636587753474[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1170803750090489856[/tweet]

Some bad:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1170836737825918976[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1170825765144936448[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattyfbrown/status/1170819454952988673[/tweet]

I really didn't mind the playcalling overall.

Good to remember that the result you see isn't always the intention. There's other factors shaping the results, like player execution. Or the fact that there's another team trying to stop you.

Fade

Reaction score
Smellyman":3r6up1lk said:
It's what you get when you hire a D level ̶s̶t̶u̶d̶e̶n̶t̶ offensive coordinator

It is what you get when you have a defensive coach who insists on running his offense, and the OC is simply his yes man.

Still better than Cabevell, but not a very high hurdle to clear.

Blaming the OC is useless at this point, he is just Pete's puppet.

We have watched this for years now. When they play a more high octane opponent they play much better on offense to match it. I personally think it is dumb, but that is how coach likes it. (Playing up or down based on the opponent.)

Real change won't happen unless they start getting blasted. Which is hard because Wilson is so good at keeping his team in the game, so it just continues........

John63

Reaction score
quadsas":akciudkx said:
Seriously, why is Wilson allowing himself to get pummeled like that year after year after year instead of trying to flex. Clearly this year has showed that if you want something done as a player it's not gonna be too hard. Become what Peyton was for Colts, start running the god damn offence instead of taking orders from an old coach who's offensive playcalling rivals 7 year olds on Madden and a yes man who's been a failure everywhere.

And if you remember they wasted a time out last years when he did it a couple of times. I would bet if he did it, PC would bench him. Pmus it's a bad example teaching the young guys you can ignore the coaches.

John63

Reaction score
Optimus25":10oc2nb7 said:
Scorpion05":10oc2nb7 said:
Optimus25":10oc2nb7 said:
Scorpion05":10oc2nb7 said:
I’m honestly surprised people who have been watching football for this long, are convinced the Bengals will be bad this year. If anything, they’re an unknown.

The protection from the O-line was absolutely atrocious today. So yea Schotty deserves crap, but our O-line was a wide open door. Vannett, Brown, Ifedi, all of them got abused.

Wilson may not have the burst anymore, but the idea that his legs are no longer a factor is silly. He’s still fast enough to make some 5-20 yard runs. In fact, we SAW Wilson make a 20 yard run before Jennings ruined it in preseason. So the read option will remain effective, and every team that plays us GAME PLANS to keep Wilson from scrambling or running

So they 'game plan' to keep Wilson from running even tho it is point blank evident on the tv screen that russ can keep at least 1/5 RO handoffs for a decent gain? and THEY game plan to the point that WE do few boots and roll outs to get Russ mobile early and often?

I just don't see any 'game plans' killing us except for our own. If the protection is atrocious, adjust. Running into a brick wall over and over, like last year's playoffs, will just bring to life the definition of insanity.

The low/mid 20 something ppg Seahawks will not win anymore. Even Dalton with the big numbers was still 'Dalton' and missed a few key throws. Any other premier team takes this game easily from us. We have to target 28-30 a game minimum with this defense, and we looked every bit the part of a 21 point production/game team today.

Yes.

Literally in almost every game, Wilson has a spy. Teams still have to defend the run, and read options are split second decisions.

In literally every press conference, the defensive teams say "we need to contain Wilson." Our gameplan also acknowledges that effort and attempts to punish that perception by keeping Wilson in the pocket. Even if we don't always succeed at it

Wilson usually opts to run more in the 4th quarter, and possibly in the 1st, because he likes to conserve energy throughout the game. Idk if you are aware of Pete ball, but the whole "It's how you finish" mindset is an actual thing. We believe in rope a dope then knock outs at the end. Russ conserves his legs, especially as he ages, for when the defense is tired by the 4th quarter. I mean, we've seen this consistently for this entire era and especially for the last 2-3 years.

if true then we got fleeced with the mega contract. Other teams desperately try to game plan for Tom Brady too and look, 20-rip in one half tonight vs pitt. With the money we invested, it's more than rope a dope money and without the LOB we know for a fact that PeteBall can only eeek out the playoffs and not contend once in. So somethings gotta give and my argument is it's the stupid rope a dope/rest my legs for 3 quarters BS.

Problem is it's your HC philosophy as long as he is here that is they way it will be.

Seahawk

Reaction score
It really aggravates me when they don't go for first downs and keep control of the ball.
At the end of the game, we had possession. Instead of going for first downs and keeping possession, we went for the punt.
This "strategy" allows the other team to have a chance. The chance might even include a pass interference call that gets them in FG range to win. I really really don't like that strategy.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The play that drove us nuts was that stupid draw play when Russ was in the shotgun. They ran it over and over again, and it RARELY worked.

hawker84

Reaction score
Run run, pass, punt. Same offense, different year under Carroll. Pretty sad when your offensive MVP last 3 years is your punter...

AgentDib

Reaction score
hawker84":3kibbn3r said:
Run run, pass, punt. Same offense, different year under Carroll.
Not to get in the way of your narrative but our drives looked like this:
1. Run Pass Pass Punt
2. Run Pass Run Punt
3. Pass Run Pass Pass Pass Punt
4. Run Run Run Pass Pass Run Run Run Pass Run Punt
5. Run Run Pass Punt
6. Pass Pass Pass Pass Run Pass Touchdown
7. Pass Fumble
8. Run Run Pass Punt
9. Pass Pass Pass Punt
10. Run Run Pass Run Pass Touchdown
11. Pass Run Pass Punt
12. Run Run Run Run Run Run Punt

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think somehow Schotty mixed up the Bengals game plan with the Cowboys Gameplan from last year's playoff loss.
Probably figured it out by the second half but by then it was too late to retrieve it and went with the old Carroll approach of lets gameplan during the game.

Glad we won but trusting this OL to pass block for deep shots is pretty ridiculous. The lack of a short-intermediate passing attack has been an issue for a while.

irfuben32

Reaction score
at this point it is apparent that it IS Pete

small sample size but I seem to remember watching Bevell with the Vikings and thinking he was a creative OC

I would let Russell call the plays myself. At least for a few series a game.

LTH

Reaction score
Fade":2ci2s53m said:
Smellyman":2ci2s53m said:
It's what you get when you hire a D level ̶s̶t̶u̶d̶e̶n̶t̶ offensive coordinator

It is what you get when you have a defensive coach who insists on running his offense, and the OC is simply his yes man.

Still better than Cabevell, but not a very high hurdle to clear.

Blaming the OC is useless at this point, he is just Pete's puppet.

We have watched this for years now. When they play a more high octane opponent they play much better on offense to match it. I personally think it is dumb, but that is how coach likes it. (Playing up or down based on the opponent.)

Real change won't happen unless they start getting blasted. Which is hard because Wilson is so good at keeping his team in the game, so it just continues........

Aren't all OC yes men? Look at Holmgren and Walsh?

LTH

Jville

Reaction score
AgentDib":vd5xvbhp said:
hawker84":vd5xvbhp said:
Run run, pass, punt. Same offense, different year under Carroll.
Not to get in the way of your narrative but our drives looked like this:
1. Run Pass Pass Punt
2. Run Pass Run Punt
3. Pass Run Pass Pass Pass Punt
4. Run Run Run Pass Pass Run Run Run Pass Run Punt
5. Run Run Pass Punt
6. Pass Pass Pass Pass Run Pass Touchdown
7. Pass Fumble
8. Run Run Pass Punt
9. Pass Pass Pass Punt
10. Run Run Pass Run Pass Touchdown
11. Pass Run Pass Punt
12. Run Run Run Run Run Run Punt

Always appreciate the contributions of myth busters. :2thumbs: Carry On!

D

DomeHawk

I have never been a fan and it isn't just his play calling, there are so many times that the opposing defense seems to know exactly what we are going to do that I think some of our alignments give the play away.