How would you grade today’s offensive play calling?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Incomplete. A constant stream of defensive lineman in the backfield leads to TFLs, holds, and sacks. The offense is predicated on staying on schedule and far too often we saw 3rd and 10+ because of the o-line issues. Moreover, this was a completely new team they were playing. It wasn't going to be an instant adjustment until they had enough information to adjust against.

And when there were big plays (Penny's 20 yarder or Lockett getting free), something went wrong (hold / drop).

Even so, early one, they got Metcalf involved to compensate for the Lockett double teams. But Jaron Brown and Malik Turner being non-existent didn't help.

So, ultimately, it was hyper-conservative, but there were glimmers of hope. It'll take another few games to get a read, just like every year with this team.

Edit: Moreover with competent refereeing re: Clowney, a number of Bengals drives probably stall out due to those holds, and the offensive numbers between the teams even out.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I always think our playcalling is around a B to C-.

Vanilla, predictable, too slow starting. But that's how Pete wants it, he wants the run game to open up play action which pays dividends in the 4th quarter..............so I guess we have to live with how he likes the games called.

We play up to our opponents, but we also play down to our opponents. So idk, it is what it is, you aren't changing Pete, that's for sure.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I gave up on the hope that he would stop being so stubborn long ago. It's maddening, but it is what it is.

Fade

Reaction score
LTH":dn41ttt4 said:
Fade":dn41ttt4 said:
Smellyman":dn41ttt4 said:
It's what you get when you hire a D level ̶s̶t̶u̶d̶e̶n̶t̶ offensive coordinator

It is what you get when you have a defensive coach who insists on running his offense, and the OC is simply his yes man.

Still better than Cabevell, but not a very high hurdle to clear.

Blaming the OC is useless at this point, he is just Pete's puppet.

We have watched this for years now. When they play a more high octane opponent they play much better on offense to match it. I personally think it is dumb, but that is how coach likes it. (Playing up or down based on the opponent.)

Real change won't happen unless they start getting blasted. Which is hard because Wilson is so good at keeping his team in the game, so it just continues........

Aren't all OC yes men? Look at Holmgren and Walsh?

LTH

Josh McDaniels does what he wants. Belichick is hands off, only intervenes once in a blue moon.

Most head coaches in the league are the playcallers now. Reed, McVay, Shanny, etc. So no they are not yes men.

Seattle is very oldschool it is a 20th century setup.

Sac

Reaction score
I was shocked how long it took for Lockett's number to be called. Not even an end-around to get the juices flowing. And why is a 10M/year WR returning punts?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sac":3ct9svr9 said:
I was shocked how long it took for Lockett's number to be called. Not even an end-around to get the juices flowing. And why is a 10M/year WR returning punts?

He said after the game that he saw a lot of double teams, which is how teams are going to scheme our WR's until DK or another receiver gives them a reason not to bracket and double team Tyler.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
irfuben32":30cumeae said:
at this point it is apparent that it IS Pete

small sample size but I seem to remember watching Bevell with the Vikings and thinking he was a creative OC

I would let Russell call the plays myself. At least for a few series a game.
It’s time to give Russ the “Peyton pass” where he is calling the play. He has the football IQ and experience to handle it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l0t4mp3b said:
Sac":l0t4mp3b said:

He said after the game that he saw a lot of double teams, which is how teams are going to scheme our WR's until DK or another receiver gives them a reason not to bracket and double team Tyler.
IMHO they missed having Ursua out there. A mistake not having him out there. He could have nickle and dimed them with the short stuff.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2lt8y26g said:
Sgt. Largent":2lt8y26g said:
Sac":2lt8y26g said:

IMHO they missed having Ursua out there. A mistake not having him out there. He could have nickle and dimed them with the short stuff.
Hahahaha Seattle with a short dink and dunk passing game? Hahahahaha. NEVER going to happen while PC is head coach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
iigakusei":yb41t465 said:
Sports Hernia":yb41t465 said:
Sgt. Largent":yb41t465 said:
Sac":yb41t465 said:

Hahahaha Seattle with a short dink and dunk passing game? Hahahahaha. NEVER going to happen while PC is head coach.

Ursua could definitely be another Baldwin type slot receiver, which is what we're desperately missing right now.

We saw it yesterday on obvious passing downs, far too easy to just play us simple cover two and blitz Russell with no slot receiver pulling the safeties away from the outside receivers.

Jennings, Ursua, Turner, I don't care.......but only dressing 3-4 receivers every game cause you're telegraphing running the ball? C'mon Pete, that's even too stubborn for you.

Fade

Reaction score
6/14 of Seattle's drives went for negative yards. :shock:
After further review, F+.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Fade":332igvxv said:

This is disingenuous. 2 of those -1 yard drives were kneel downs at end of half.

Fade

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":vqrx171l said:
Fade":vqrx171l said:

This is disingenuous. 2 of those -1 yard drives were kneel downs at end of half.

Then how about this.

10/14 drives went for 11 yards or less. :pukeface:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2lzpkjqy said:
...........Moreover with competent refereeing........
Seriously man, this made me laugh. No disrespect intended, but you're lucky if you get 5 or 6 competently officiated games in an NFL season. It really has degenerated to that level imo

Fade

Reaction score
5 or 6? I have been waiting three years for 1.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been deleted 5/22/20, ------- this comes after multiple unprovoked attacks on me by the asshole acer1240. I will never post here again. This site has officially gone to hell & I'll never return.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ttown0026":1mcqtdpf said:
Does anyone else think it's strange how few of times Russ keeps the ball on the read option? It seems like almost every time he keeps it he gets positive yards, but yet he still hands it off most of the time.

This is probably in great part BECAUSE of how seldom he does it. If he did it more, he'd probably start getting less yardage.

Always a dynamic people forget when they wonder why we so seldom go with "what works".

John63

Reaction score
Optimus25":3fepctzg said:
Scorpion05":3fepctzg said:
Optimus25":3fepctzg said:
Scorpion05":3fepctzg said:
I’m honestly surprised people who have been watching football for this long, are convinced the Bengals will be bad this year. If anything, they’re an unknown.

The protection from the O-line was absolutely atrocious today. So yea Schotty deserves crap, but our O-line was a wide open door. Vannett, Brown, Ifedi, all of them got abused.

Wilson may not have the burst anymore, but the idea that his legs are no longer a factor is silly. He’s still fast enough to make some 5-20 yard runs. In fact, we SAW Wilson make a 20 yard run before Jennings ruined it in preseason. So the read option will remain effective, and every team that plays us GAME PLANS to keep Wilson from scrambling or running

So they 'game plan' to keep Wilson from running even tho it is point blank evident on the tv screen that russ can keep at least 1/5 RO handoffs for a decent gain? and THEY game plan to the point that WE do few boots and roll outs to get Russ mobile early and often?

I just don't see any 'game plans' killing us except for our own. If the protection is atrocious, adjust. Running into a brick wall over and over, like last year's playoffs, will just bring to life the definition of insanity.

The low/mid 20 something ppg Seahawks will not win anymore. Even Dalton with the big numbers was still 'Dalton' and missed a few key throws. Any other premier team takes this game easily from us. We have to target 28-30 a game minimum with this defense, and we looked every bit the part of a 21 point production/game team today.

Yes.

Literally in almost every game, Wilson has a spy. Teams still have to defend the run, and read options are split second decisions.

In literally every press conference, the defensive teams say "we need to contain Wilson." Our gameplan also acknowledges that effort and attempts to punish that perception by keeping Wilson in the pocket. Even if we don't always succeed at it

Wilson usually opts to run more in the 4th quarter, and possibly in the 1st, because he likes to conserve energy throughout the game. Idk if you are aware of Pete ball, but the whole "It's how you finish" mindset is an actual thing. We believe in rope a dope then knock outs at the end. Russ conserves his legs, especially as he ages, for when the defense is tired by the 4th quarter. I mean, we've seen this consistently for this entire era and especially for the last 2-3 years.

if true then we got fleeced with the mega contract. Other teams desperately try to game plan for Tom Brady too and look, 20-rip in one half tonight vs pitt. With the money we invested, it's more than rope a dope money and without the LOB we know for a fact that PeteBall can only eeek out the playoffs and not contend once in. So somethings gotta give and my argument is it's the stupid rope a dope/rest my legs for 3 quarters BS.

The problem as I see it with you stance, is your are talking about Wilson's contract, there for you are talking about Wilson being the issue not PC. You real issue is not the contract or Wilson but how PC is using Wilson. Well that is on PC.

Fade

Reaction score
Pete called their gameplan "arrogant". He said it, not me. And also referred to "rope-a-dope".

He intentionally went super generic on both offense and defense strategically, as to not show their cards to their upcoming opponents, Pittsburgh & New Orleans. it almost bit him in the ass, but they got the win.

The offense will be the same next week unless Pittsburgh comes out hot.

As you have watched over the years the offense is on a leash, unless it is needed.

It's how coach wants it.

Run the ball, play defense. Unless they start getting scored on --> Then they open it up.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":1g73nkb4 said:
Pete called their gameplan "arrogant". He said it, not me. And also referred to "rope-a-dope".

He intentionally went super generic on both offense and defense strategically, as to not show their cards to their upcoming opponents, Pittsburgh & New Orleans. it almost bit him in the ass, but they got the win.

The offense will be the same next week unless Pittsburgh comes out hot.

As you have watched over the years the offense is on a leash, unless it is needed.

It's how coach wants it.

Run the ball, play defense. Unless they start getting scored on --> Then they open it up.

Agreed they implement the offense in steps based on comment in years past so the rookies and new F.A. players can learn the system without a lot of pressure.