Is our QB giving us $20 million a season's worth?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
VERY good points Scorpion. The fact that he's on Seattle changes how people look at him, beyond stupid.
Really sad that he will never get the credit he deserves. But, when he's in the Hall of Fame, maybe then they can admit how damn good he was.

RussB

Reaction score
Im a big RW fan. But im starting to think lately his height might really be an issue. Like he doesnt see the feild and cant go through reads. They need a good o line to know for sure because he gets pressured every snap.

getnasty

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3pw8ia5c said:
getnasty":3pw8ia5c said:
GeekHawk":3pw8ia5c said:
Like I said in the gameday forum, what would you like him to audible to? Out of one poorly designed play with no hope of success to another poorly designed play with no hope of success? Might as well just go with the first POS play and hope for yet another scramble-miracle. It's no coincidence that the better RW knows the offense and the more he can run it as designed, the worse we get.

If it's 3rd and 3 and Bevell calls a run and the defense loads the box I'd expect Russell to be able to get us in a quick slant or out or something that has a better chance of working, It's concerning he doesn't audible more.

And you know he doesn’t? Most plays have read pass option in them. Or so I’ve heard numerous times from interviews. So he clearly can change and switch.

Russ is one of the best under pressure from blitzes so he’s obviously seeing that and getting the ball to the right guy.

None of us really know what latitude Russ has. This post is mere guesswork.

It's not a guess he didn't audible once last game.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
60-70% of the time yes, 30-40% of the time, no.

But other than QB's like Brees and Brady, what top 10 QB plays lights out 80-90% of the time?

Reaction score
So you start out by saying you were watching Oakland with a great oline and rb... then you ask if Wilson is worth 20 million... You are aware that Derek Carr is paid 25 million a year, right?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
"Is our QB giving us $20 million a season's worth?"

No. I think it's more like $22.3 million worth.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
RussB":3i2a58h2 said:
Im a big RW fan. But im starting to think lately his height might really be an issue. Like he doesnt see the feild and cant go through reads. They need a good o line to know for sure because he gets pressured every snap.

this

semiahmoo

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1ycq87qc said:
This is a question and not meant to flame anyone so let's be civil here.
I was watching Oakland with their great OL and yes great RB so here we are.
Honestly I feel like with PC as coach he is not and it may not be on him.
We won a SB with a game manager,great D and great RB so that may be all we need?
On RW end I feel like he is limited in seeing the field and locks on one Wr too much.
I also do not feel he takes control like an elite would and lead the offense.
I guess at this stage I feel like we should be seeing more from him (audibles/checking off).
The not stepping into the pocket or being lazy at it gets to me.He is not getting faster.
My answer again at this point is no and I'm not so sure it gets better with any OC.
:icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new:

It's a legit question. Is he worth the $20 million? Maybe.
That said, with this version of the Hawks Russell Wilson is the #1 reason we are even praying for a playoff spot.

The real question is if he was surrounded by a more capable supporting cast/coaching scheme is he a SB caliber QB?

I don't know but I really think he and the fans deserve to find out.

Thanks for the post, though. More people should be willing to ask the tough questions. I noted the first response was that you would be flamed for asking - that's sad. I also saw others willing to answer your legit question with an attempted legit answer. We sorely need more of that in here!

Carry on...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":1145xbv1 said:
RussB":1145xbv1 said:

this

Russell's a feel/tempo/rhythm QB.

So while I really don't think his height is an issue, I do think his confidence is. It's why he's rarely lights out in the first half, he needs those first couple of on time rhythm throws to get his tempo and confidence right.

I see hesitation with his progressions. He'd rather break contain and make a sure fire throw, than take a chance on an on time progression throw. So height? No. Confidence? Yes.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3qtw2btq said:
We won a SB with a game manager,great D and great RB so that may be all we need?
On RW end I feel like he is limited in seeing the field and locks on one Wr too much.
I guess at this stage I feel like we should be seeing more from him (audibles/checking off).
The not stepping into the pocket or being lazy at it gets to me.He is not getting faster.
My answer again at this point is no and I'm not so sure it gets better with any OC.
:icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new:
And you probably believe that Wilson marginally helped to get the Seahawks to the big dance the first time around but it was the Defense that won us that Lombardi, only to hang the loss on Wilson the following season.
See second half of 2015 WITHOUT the help of Marshawn Lynch, or any REAL prominent Running attack---There you will find your answer.

Anthony!

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3nc0tea5 said:

So you don't think accounting for over 85% of the teams offensive yards and over 97% of the teams offensive TDs is not giving you your 20mil(FYI his cap hit is way less than 20 mil). Lets forget all the BS you said about locking on (WRONG), and seeing the filed (Wrong), and taking control (WRONG). You really think a QB who is doing something that has never been done in the NFL behind one of the worst olien in the league with no run game and no true #1 wr and a god aweful OC is not worth what he is paid. You might want to pay attention to what is really happening without him we win 3 game max.

FYI this is one of the worst thread ever!!!!

sutz

Reaction score
Fans arguing about players "earning" their salaries.

:laugh: :rofl:

:snack:

Exittium

Reaction score
Without Russell our record this year mirrors the Broncos, so yes.

Anthony!

Reaction score
getnasty":186a5x5w said:
GeekHawk":186a5x5w said:
Like I said in the gameday forum, what would you like him to audible to? Out of one poorly designed play with no hope of success to another poorly designed play with no hope of success? Might as well just go with the first POS play and hope for yet another scramble-miracle. It's no coincidence that the better RW knows the offense and the more he can run it as designed, the worse we get.

If it's 3rd and 3 and Bevell calls a run and the defense loads the box I'd expect Russell to be able to get us in a quick slant or out or something that has a better chance of working, It's concerning he doesn't audible more.

COncerning to you, there are to many things we don't know for me to be concerned, For instance, is he allowed to, does he have the players on he field to run the play he thinks will work, is he getting time to change the play or run it. Not all OCs give their QBs cart Blanche to audible all the time. According to Huard unless in uptempo Rw is given 2 plays 1 to run and 1 he can audible to, so if that is all he might be choosing the best of well the worst. However in uptempo he can call anything which is one of the reason he like sit and we move the ball so well

Anthony!

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2ax0a2h2 said:
UK_Seahawk":2ax0a2h2 said:
Is OP familiar with the term MVP?
The second Rams game proved that Bobby is MVP of this team. He was hobbled and we got crushed. Russell played and we got crushed.

Wrong Russell played and he got crushed by the rams dline thanks to our oline and Bobby is great and MVP of the defense but he is not MVP of the team Russell is and facts prove it

Anthony!

Reaction score
getnasty":14guphrw said:
Mad Dog":14guphrw said:
getnasty":14guphrw said:
GeekHawk":14guphrw said:

And you know he doesn’t? Most plays have read pass option in them. Or so I’ve heard numerous times from interviews. So he clearly can change and switch.

Russ is one of the best under pressure from blitzes so he’s obviously seeing that and getting the ball to the right guy.

None of us really know what latitude Russ has. This post is mere guesswork.

It's not a guess he didn't audible once last game.

actually he did a few times according to Huard, so that would be wrong and it is a guess as you dont know

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3id70mvd said:
fire_marshall_bill":3id70mvd said:
RussB":3id70mvd said:

this

Russell's a feel/tempo/rhythm QB.

So while I really don't think his height is an issue, I do think his confidence is. It's why he's rarely lights out in the first half, he needs those first couple of on time rhythm throws to get his tempo and confidence right.

I see hesitation with his progressions. He'd rather break contain and make a sure fire throw, than take a chance on an on time progression throw. So height? No. Confidence? Yes.

This and having a big #1 wr sure would help alot

Palmegranite

Reaction score
One of the worst threads, yes. But I think the original poster will never be happy with RW as the QB. I see it in your post.
The 'game manager'/'height' not-so-subtle digs. For your own sanity, please move on to Oakland, you'll thank me later.
I saw it with Flutie in Buffalo. A once-in-a-generation exciting, creative, smart as a whip QB who only knew how to win. Since their last playoff teams 17-18 years ago under Flutie, they have cycled through umpteen 'saviours'. And to this day there are still Bills fans that despise him, a real visceral hate. Because he wasn't that traditional, tall, pocket statue guy.
So please move on, for your own health.