Is our QB giving us $20 million a season's worth?

getnasty

Reaction score
Anthony!":3bvuynez said:
getnasty":3bvuynez said:
Mad Dog":3bvuynez said:
getnasty":3bvuynez said:
If it's 3rd and 3 and Bevell calls a run and the defense loads the box I'd expect Russell to be able to get us in a quick slant or out or something that has a better chance of working, It's concerning he doesn't audible more.

And you know he doesn’t? Most plays have read pass option in them. Or so I’ve heard numerous times from interviews. So he clearly can change and switch.

Russ is one of the best under pressure from blitzes so he’s obviously seeing that and getting the ball to the right guy.

None of us really know what latitude Russ has. This post is mere guesswork.

It's not a guess he didn't audible once last game.

actually he did a few times according to Huard, so that would be wrong and it is a guess as you dont know

I've heard Huard praise Bevell on numerous occasions so what he says is always spot on i guess.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":2l3ko6wz said:
Sgt. Largent":2l3ko6wz said:
fire_marshall_bill":2l3ko6wz said:
RussB":2l3ko6wz said:
Im a big RW fan. But im starting to think lately his height might really be an issue. Like he doesnt see the feild and cant go through reads. They need a good o line to know for sure because he gets pressured every snap.

this

Russell's a feel/tempo/rhythm QB.

So while I really don't think his height is an issue, I do think his confidence is. It's why he's rarely lights out in the first half, he needs those first couple of on time rhythm throws to get his tempo and confidence right.

I see hesitation with his progressions. He'd rather break contain and make a sure fire throw, than take a chance on an on time progression throw. So height? No. Confidence? Yes.

This and having a big #1 wr sure would help alot

We have one of those, his name is Jimmy Graham.

But for some reason Pete, Bevell, Russell and Jimmy refuse to get Russell AND Jimmy in rhythm and gain their confidence early by calling some short easy throws to Jimmy.

Even if it's just a 2-3 yard out, those throws get both those guys into rhythm and gain confidence early, which helps both their games.

Never understood why we don't see this at the beginning of EVERY game.

Anthony!

Reaction score
getnasty":2n8dfsrs said:
Anthony!":2n8dfsrs said:
getnasty":2n8dfsrs said:
Mad Dog":2n8dfsrs said:
And you know he doesn’t? Most plays have read pass option in them. Or so I’ve heard numerous times from interviews. So he clearly can change and switch.

Russ is one of the best under pressure from blitzes so he’s obviously seeing that and getting the ball to the right guy.

None of us really know what latitude Russ has. This post is mere guesswork.

It's not a guess he didn't audible once last game.

actually he did a few times according to Huard, so that would be wrong and it is a guess as you dont know

I've heard Huard praise Bevell on numerous occasions so what he says is always spot on i guess.

I have heard him praise him as well usually with surprise not with reverence.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3v3rbevd said:
Anthony!":3v3rbevd said:
Sgt. Largent":3v3rbevd said:
fire_marshall_bill":3v3rbevd said:

So while I really don't think his height is an issue, I do think his confidence is. It's why he's rarely lights out in the first half, he needs those first couple of on time rhythm throws to get his tempo and confidence right.

I see hesitation with his progressions. He'd rather break contain and make a sure fire throw, than take a chance on an on time progression throw. So height? No. Confidence? Yes.

But for some reason Pete, Bevell, Russell and Jimmy refuse to get Russell AND Jimmy in rhythm and gain their confidence early by calling some short easy throws to Jimmy.

Even if it's just a 2-3 yard out, those throws get both those guys into rhythm and gain confidence early, which helps both their games.

Graham is not a Wr though, but I kind of agree although with his drops this year I am concerned that would be an issue

Steve2222

Reaction score
WmHBonney":nm2jrc3l said:
UK_Seahawk":nm2jrc3l said:
Is OP familiar with the term MVP?
The second Rams game proved that Bobby is MVP of this team. He was hobbled and we got crushed. Russell played and we got crushed.

This is silly. So what do you think happens if Wagner plays and Russell doesn’t?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Anthony!":kfng4tvw said:
Graham is not a Wr though, but I kind of agree although with his drops this year I am concerned that would be an issue

In essence he is though. He's nowhere near a traditional TE, and we've seen that week after week, and year after year watching him try to block.

Your point was give Russell a big WR that he can have confidence in to win balls..............and my point is, that is and SHOULD be Graham. It's the same player.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
getnasty":73oz3syl said:
Is he worth 20 million? Yes. Is it ok to be critical of the most important player on the team? Yes.

Pretty much this.

He's the sole reason we've gotten as far as we have (all due respect to some strong defensive performances along the way).

He's also the reason we faceplant sometimes.

In the modern NFL, it's all about the QB.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":2gq0p1xr said:
So you start out by saying you were watching Oakland with a great oline and rb... then you ask if Wilson is worth 20 million... You are aware that Derek Carr is paid 25 million a year, right?

Yep, Carr starts costing $25 million/year next year against the cap. And the Raiders already have a losing season with that OL and running game OP is touting.

Wilson is "worth" $20 million a year because of what the market dictates. Some people were clamoring to get rid of him because of the cost, but few teams have quarterbacks that are even decent from year to year, much less good or great. Russell Wilson is "worth $20 million a year because:

Drew Stanton (and really, Carson Palmer)
Tyrod Taylor
Mitchell Trubisky
Brock Osweiler
Blake Bortles
Jay Cutler
Bryce Petty
T.J. Yates
Brett Hundley
Jacoby Brissett
DeShone Kizer (maybe his fortunes will look up, but man)

These guys suck. They suck. That's eight teams without even serviceable QBs, because they can't find anyone or their guy is injured.

Then we have this batch:

Kirk Cousins
Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Derek Carr
Alex Smith
Andy Dalton
Joe Flacco
Matt Stafford

These guys are somewhere on the spectrum from meh to really good depending on the guy and year. But none are reasonably consistently good, and these guys are almost all making Wilson money or better.

There's some younger guys (Winston, Mariotta, Goff, Wentz) that it will take a little while longer to gauge. And there are your really good to great quarterbacks.

Wilson is worth it because the probability of finding someone to replace him that will be anywhere near as good as him is really low. When was the last time a non-Patriots team in the AFC East had a really good quarterback from year to year? How about the NFC West? How about the AFC South?

Sure, you might get that occasional 2000 Ravens run, but if you don't have at least a good quarterback you're not going to do well from year to year and a have a good shot at winning a Super Bowl. And good quarterbacks or better are hard to come by. Which is why they get paid so much.

zchurch74

Reaction score
I am not a Russell Wilson fan at all. But, you have to give credit where credit is due. I agree with other posters, if we did not have Russell this season we could easily have won three maybe four games total. Yes he’s worth the $20 million but there’s always room for improvement. And I do think the coaching staff does limit him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Wilson is such an interesting QB.

He clearly, as stats are showing, does so much for the team.

But he also infuriates the crap out of you with some mind numbing decisions. He's great, but also flawed. the great thing about RW is he gives the impression he's both self aware and self motivated to continue to develop.

So.. is he worth $20 million? Absolutely, not just because of what he is but what he can be

cymatica

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18rw55w0 said:
Anthony!":18rw55w0 said:
Sgt. Largent":18rw55w0 said:
fire_marshall_bill":18rw55w0 said:

100% agree and add some qb keepers to that list. Wilson is a smart runner, wouldn't hurt to take advantage of that. I can only remember one play, it was the first play against the Eagles, he had a lead blocker and got roughly 10 yards. Never saw the play again or anything similar, even though there've been times all season plays like that could have helped tremendously.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":gxlronqw said:
And as much of a huge Wilson fan as I am, that one 22 yard loss, omg. Throw it way man :lol:

Those are the ones im talking about..

there are plays where he "sorta scrambles" and then just gets sacked.

and the back to back deep balls... but that might be on someone else

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2f2mt6mn said:
Anthony!":2f2mt6mn said:

In essence he is though. He's nowhere near a traditional TE, and we've seen that week after week, and year after year watching him try to block.

Your point was give Russell a big WR that he can have confidence in to win balls..............and my point is, that is and SHOULD be Graham. It's the same player.

If we say you right than our OC needs to use him like one but does not. I am thinking more a big, fast downfield threat. I feel with all the we we have that get any real time being 6 ft or less it would be nice to have a big threat

TAB420

Reaction score
Add up what the entire offense makes...what's 85% of that? That's what he's worth.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I haven’t read any comments but my opinion is this......

RW is in the MVP conversation.

Imagine this team, right now, with a pure pocket passer, or any less athletic QB.

I’m not sure it’s worth 20 million but I think it is.

YMMV

Hawkfiend

Reaction score
What other option do we have? Do you remember the QB situation before we got Russ? RW is one of the top 10 QB's in this league (some say top 5) and he hasn't missed a game since he's been here with arguably the worst OL in football. Are you kidding? Of course he's worth the money.

inda2o6

Reaction score
I think he's earning his money this season. The team can't perfom the read option as well as it has in the past. The runningbacks weren't effective this season, aside from our rookie and he got injuried. That makes Russell more one dimentional, drop back pass or scramble. That isn't the same as the read option, which is designed to maximize his options. Russel is executing pass plays, & when they break down, Russell runs, to gain yards, and make the next down, more manageble. Without a reliable runningback , the opposing defense has a easier job to do. Not needing 1 player to spy on Russell as much, making sure he doesnt fake the ball off to the runningbacks. That is one thing different from years past. Was it going to be a run play for the runningback or was Russell keeping it and running? Lost that dimmention of the offense, that used to scare their opponents.
The team decided Russell was gonna take over the offense, now hes about 90% of it. That's worth $20million. The team wasted $4million on Eddie Lacy, i have a problem with that more then Russell making his millions.