Is Russell Wilson worth extending?

kidhawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1b1sh51r said:
If I asked the question should Kaepernick get extended in 49er forums, I would get killed.

Well duh....he got extended this previous off season, so the question would be irrelevant now.

I think the bigger question here is can we afford to pay Wagner, especially with his tendency to get injured. When he's on the field he's EXTREMELY valuable, but on the bench, not so much. I truly hope his career isn't marred in injuries like a previous MLB here.

JKent82

Reaction score
As far as the salary thing goes, likely won't make much difference. The salary cap is ballooning soon. It set to increase a substantial amount I believe. Plus I'm sure some of the more influential owners in the league that have already given out these massive QB contracts will be pushing for more flexibility, though I don't know how much wiggle room there is in the CBA.

Gonna be a non issue for the Seahawks.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
kidhawk":232qwx9h said:
dumbrabbit":232qwx9h said:
If I asked the question should Kaepernick get extended in 49er forums, I would get killed.

Well duh....he got extended this previous off season, so the question would be irrelevant now.

I think the bigger question here is can we afford to pay Wagner, especially with his tendency to get injured. When he's on the field he's EXTREMELY valuable, but on the bench, not so much. I truly hope his career isn't marred in injuries like a previous MLB here.

Yes, I do know that. But I was just saying that if Kaepernick's contract ended this year too, I'd get killed at 49ers forums.

I still think there's no way Wilson's getting $120M. I can say that Wilson's contract will be fully guaranteed, which might mean he'll take $60M or $70M at fully guaranteed money vs $120M that's not fully guaranteed. Wilson knows that he's not the only player on the team, and by offering one man $120M+ he's putting the team in quite a bit of salary cap hell.

But still if Schneider offers $120M to Wilson we'll all say he knows what he's doing.

But honestly, do whatever it takes to get him re-signed.

King Dog

Reaction score
It has been absolutely painful to watch this franchise over the years with almost all of the quarterbacks we have put on the field. When you hit on someone like Russ, you keep him.

Tical21

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1nhitmct said:
I like the topic, though I doubt this discussion will stay civil in all quarters, but it shouldn't be a long discussion just due to the 100% chance, IMO, that this deal will get done.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

The only question is...

How are we going to be able to judge whether or not it was a good decision?

byau

Reaction score
I think the Seahawk way is something like this:

Load up on draft picks

Draft good rookies that have potential: young, smart, ambitious

Sign veteran free agents that have potential to a "prove it" deal (like a Bennett or an Avril) (Tukuafu?)

Keep the select few rookies or free agents that will anchor your team (like a Sherman or Thomas..like RUSSELL), the rest you let go if they get better offers: good for them they were able to prove themselves, good for you for getting production out of them and you save the money for those that anchor your team

Replace the ones that got better offers (like Tate) with the good rookies and veteran free agents (like Richardson and Norwood)

Hope it all works!

I think if you are a betting man, this type of thing will take you far: naturally it all depends on the FO: scouting, evaluation, and coaching. And then maybe, just maybe, it takes you to the Lombardi every so often

To make a short answer long, I am firmly on the side of PAY RUSSELL!

Tical21

Reaction score
I will not bite the hook, I will not bite the hook, I will not bite the hook........

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Basically what I am wondering is if we have a game manager vs. a guy who can actually produce. I'm starting to have doubts about his playing style being conduce to having a productive offense.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Yes, I think we should extend Wilson. Either hang him by the feet and attach weights to his head, or just a good old fashioned medieval stretching.

Whatever we have to do to extend him a few inches...

seedhawk

Reaction score
I ask this for discussion only. What would another team pay to lure RW away? Is that figure what he is really worth? How many teams would be willing to attempt to sign him away from us, and why? And perhaps, is an extension a better deal for the Hawks, and perhaps RW than just an entire new contract?

byau

Reaction score
Tical21":3d6twxm4 said:
I will not bite the hook, I will not bite the hook, I will not bite the hook........

I bit it. Bit it hard. Tasted good

GO RUSS!

byau

Reaction score
seedhawk":2keuec1q said:
I ask this for discussion only. What would another team pay to lure RW away? Is that figure what he is really worth? How many teams would be willing to attempt to sign him away from us, and why? And perhaps, is an extension a better deal for the Hawks, and perhaps RW than just an entire new contract?

Okay yeah I guess I wasn't getting into intricacies of the question itself. :) Good catch.

Me just think primitve: "Keep him please!"

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I will consider this after I figure out if hes black enough.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Super Bowl Champion, clear leader of the team, and only going to get better. Um, hell yes you re-sign him.
Even though he's less black :stirthepot:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
My question would be ...

Do we have to sign him in the offseason?

I am leaning towards yes so we can sign him before some other contracts. I believe Cam and Luck are eligible for new contracts too.

What would he do if we didnt sign him? Would he hold out? Technically he is under contract one more year

I hope he stays here a LONG time since he IMO is the best QB the Seahawks have had so far. I just hope they start to draft players to help him out.

I was listening to Colin Cowherd this week and he brought up a great point between the Colts and Jets. He brought up in the draft the Colts drafted a TON of offense the last 2-3 years to help Luck where the Jets drafted Sanchez and then just drafted Defense time after time with barely any help on offense.

northseahawk

Reaction score
At the end of the day, he will get paid big.

But, is he worth it?? Can he carry this team to victories with much lesser talent around him? especially Lynch?

When he gets paid, he will have a much weaker defense, running game, lesser stars, which means 90% of the wins/loses will be solely based on his performance. He will not win much with his <200 yard passing.

My opinion: He has shown flashes of brilliance but the problem is the inconsistency that Manning, Rogers, Brady, Brees have shown. This year has actually given us a glimpse of a team with bad defense, offense, and special teams, and when you combine that with weak qb play, it turns out to be loses. This could be our future if he stays at his current level of play.

In a perfect world, he deserves a 13-15million/year contract, but he will be receiving a 18-20/year because thats what other qb deprived franchises will pay him if we don't.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":37lduzfk said:
Basically what I am wondering is if we have a game manager vs. a guy who can actually produce. I'm starting to have doubts about his playing style being conduce to having a productive offense.

Whether Russell Wilson is worth extending and whether he is currently capable of being a dominant pocket passer regardless of his weaponry ala Peyton Manning are two very different questions.

I've been as hard on the guy as anyone lately, but I do believe you can build a dominant offense around Russell Wilson. You cannot build a dominant offense around Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy, or Matt Flynn, and those will be the comparables of your alternatives.

Let's be honest here, this FO hasn't exactly hung its hat on drafting offense or acquiring QBs. They plain got lucky with Wilson. You can't count on them replicating that success consistently.

irocdave

Reaction score
I struggled with the same question until recently. As most posters have pointed out this franchise has had a revolving door at QB for a large portion of it's existence. Most of them have been terrible. Knowing full well that RW will receive a contract extension and that it will impact the ability of keeping and or signing veterans for a couple of years, I'm all for it. I say extend his contract at fair market value with a bump for playing far above his pay grade and bringing home a Lombardi.

The salary cap freedom hit will only last a year or two. Just need to make sure the extension takes him in to his 30's. This should allow some cap relief to load up again while RW in his prime and more importantly, before his 3rd contract extension.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":4ayry6ms said:
I was listening to Colin Cowherd this week and he brought up a great point between the Colts and Jets. He brought up in the draft the Colts drafted a TON of offense the last 2-3 years to help Luck where the Jets drafted Sanchez and then just drafted Defense time after time with barely any help on offense.

Have no idea what this has to do with extending Russell Wilson?

Anyway to answer the question. Yes. He absolutely is worth extending. You're very unlikely to find someone in the draft that will perform like has has. You have no chance to find that on the free agent market. So you absolutely keep him long term.

Latest posts