Is Russell Wilson worth extending?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I said a year ago I was afraid that consistently poor pass protection might lead to "Bulgering" or "Carring" Wilson. Two QBs with great promise that had their careers essentially ruined because they started hearing footsteps whether they were there or not.

We're witnessing what may very well be the start of that with Wilson if he doesn't stop having to run so much, IMO.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Scutterhog last weeks line wasn't even polished. We had guys on the line playing possitions they hadn't even practiced at. We had to shift guys around to run certain plays because some guys didn't know their responsibilities. We were drawing plays up in the sand. Russell did a heck of a job holding it together through that mess and you guys want to get rid of him? If we can't get our line fixed I doubt we get the oppurtunity to extend or re sign Russell and I wouldn't blame him for leaving.

kobebryant

Reaction score
The problem with the OP is the lack of offering an alternative.

Don't extend him, and do what?

Once you get a legit franchise qb that you know first hand is good enough to win a Super Bowl with, you don't let him go. Period. Doubt this was even a topic amongst Colts fans when Luck went 60.1 and 59.4 QB ratings in back to back weeks last season. Good players face adversity from time to time, no need to overreact.

chris98251

Reaction score
Who could be available, Sanchez, Glennon maybe, Ponder, to name a few. There are names that have fallen on hard times that could be signed cheap, Jake Locker also a possibility. Are they Wilson, no, but are names.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
kobebryant":3ih4n8jg said:
The problem with the OP is the lack of offering an alternative.

Don't extend him, and do what?

Once you get a legit franchise qb that you know first hand is good enough to win a Super Bowl with, you don't let him go. Period. Doubt this was even a topic amongst Colts fans when Luck went 60.1 and 59.4 QB ratings in back to back weeks last season. Good players face adversity from time to time, no need to overreact.
Andrew Luck played with a mediocre O-Line, yes he did have a decent set of receivers in Wayne, and Hilton but he also had no line. It is fair to say that he faced adversity since day one, and yes he definitely had his fair share of growing pains but through it all you could see that he was going to be a great NFL Quarterback. He was, afterall his offenses only sort of production.

In Wilson's case I do not know where he stands. I see him not seeing far too many open receivers, yes this happens to every QB but it is noticeably more so with Wilson. I'm not talking about just THIS year, I'm talking about his entire body of work. A lot of that is his tendency to bail from the pocket far too soon. By doing that Wilson is effectively cutting the field in half. Even when he did have a pocket to stand back in he still had the tendency to run out of it and then make the throw. When you see guys like Brady, and Peyton Manning they set up their passing lanes, and blockers within the pocket and then make the throw. By doing this you're seeing the whole field rather than just one half of it and you're not giving defenders a chance to react.

My second gripe about Wilson is going to piggy-back off of my first. He has no pocket management skills. He never steps up in the pocket even when his line is playing good. He does not know how to set up his blockers like Manning and Brady do, and he has always held onto the ball for way longer than he should. Wilson in fact led the league last season in average time before he got rid of the ball. Though to his credit Bevell's schemes might have something to do with that. Basically what I'm trying to say is his pocket presence really could use a lot of work.

My last gripe is one that is directed more towards Bevell. Since Bevell has been the offensive coordinator I have not seen any sort of timing passes. You know, the 3 step drop and throw it to where your guy is going to be throws. The ones that modern NFL offenses thrive off of. Even with TJ that element has remained conspicuously missing from the Seahawks playbook. I would like to see Russell Wilson and Derek Bevell try to utilize these passes. Where are our slants, back shoulder fades, inside post, where is are passing game in the middle of the field period? Is this a function of Bevell's offense or is Russell just not good at utilizing the middle of the field?

Actually I lied I do have one last gripe, where is all of our audibling? I never see Russell change protection, I never see him change the play even when there are unfavorable match-ups. This is a skill-set that every elite QB must possess, and even a skillset most good QB's utilize. Where is it with Russell? Is it a function of Pete Carroll's philosophy or is it a function of Bevell's offense, or is Wilson just not good at audibling?

Wilson is a good player, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if he will ever transcend what he has been with the Seahawks thus far. I also do not like his penchant for disappearing completely during long stretches like he did in 2013. I feel like this offense should've been much more than it has been, especially in 2013. We had one of the best slot receivers in the league in Doug Baldwin, a top five receiver this year in Golden Tate, and a Zach Miller that is still a viable security blanket for Russell Wilson. We, of course also had one of the better running games in the NFL headed by the beast.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Wilson is worth extending, he's only in his 3rd year of playing in the pros, give the man a break. So the first two years was ok because we won a Superbowl, but since then he's not playing up to par for you so he shouldn't be extended? Andrew Luck had 3 passes deflected at the line of scrimmage during the Texans game, if I didn't even mention his name would you said that it might of been a shorter QB?

The problem is we won't know if it's the play-calling, Pete's philosophy or Wilson's height until the system is changed. How could Wilson audible if he keeps getting a new lineman each week. Even coach Cable had stated that he had to tell his lineman if he was a guard or tackle during the Raiders game. Even mention that there were many miscommunications.

This week I expect Wilson to come back focus and putting up 2 TDs, maybe add a rushing TD as well because Unger and Okung will be back and that line will held up much better.

I might be in the minority here that think Pete's system might not give the chance for Wilson to really shine. When the playbook is limited to restrict turnovers he doesn't have free reign to take over a game.

Also gotta ask yourself why Wilson looks incredible during the 2 min hurry up offense as oppose to normal snaps. I think it has to do with rhythm. If Wilson was playing for a uptempo team like the Eagles he would be tearing it up in stats right now.

Spin Doctor you kind of answer your own question as well, Wilson and Tate was in Sync and he trusted Tate to make every single catch, and Zach Miller was a great blocking TE and receiver as well, having them both gone, and now Harvin gone, we don't have much of a receiving group that would scare any defense. When we had Sidney Rice we was bombing deep all the time, now we don't even have that deep threat.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest I'd be surprised if they hadnt already shook hands on a tentative deal.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised some guys on here consider this a sensible discussion.

Russ is going to sign an extension, I'm not sure there's many people debating that, I just hope he takes a little discount on the premise we go after some guys to help him out.

sam1313

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but this topic kinda ticks me off. We have a quarterback who is setting records left and right, and people want talk about not keeping him? We got so lucky to get RW, we hit the freaking lottery. Quit looking a gift horse in the mouth. That's about as nice as I can possibly be on this topic.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I congratulate the OP for having the balls to start such a thread. It's a legitimate topic for discussion. This is only Russell's 3rd year, and Year 3 ain't looking so great. There is the possibility that Russell has peaked, that teams have "figured him out", and that his lack of height is affecting his ability to adjust from the things defenses are taking away from him. It's not something a lot of us 12's want to admit, but it is a possibility, however remote.

If it were any other position, I'd be very hesitant, but franchise quarterbacks are in such a demand that you don't let one go even if there's a good possibility that they'll fail. It could be ten years before we acquire a quarterback that shows us what Russell has in his first two seasons. It's a risk we have to take.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
The guy's a stud, he's going to Canton, and he's doing it in a Hawks jersey. A big ole middle finger to those even remotely accommodating the idea of not extending him.

themunn

Reaction score
RiverDog":2ga79iup said:
I congratulate the OP for having the balls to start such a thread. It's a legitimate topic for discussion. This is only Russell's 3rd year, and Year 3 ain't looking so great. There is the possibility that Russell has peaked, that teams have "figured him out", and that his lack of height is affecting his ability to adjust from the things defenses are taking away from him. It's not something a lot of us 12's want to admit, but it is a possibility, however remote.

If it were any other position, I'd be very hesitant, but franchise quarterbacks are in such a demand that you don't let one go even if there's a good possibility that they'll fail. It could be ten years before we acquire a quarterback that shows us what Russell has in his first two seasons. It's a risk we have to take.

It's funny how year three isn't looking great given I remember him having 2 game winning drives, setting an NFL record as the first player with over 300 yards passing and 100 yards rushing in a single game and tossing 11 TDs to 3 INTS (while rushing for 3 more).

He's done this while taking snaps from 3 different centers, playing behind a rookie LT and two different LTs, missing his number 1 TE through injury, watching his number 1 target from 2013 go in FA and his number target through games 1-6 get traded away. His #1 and #2 receivers are UDFAs, his number 1 TE is a 4th round pick that can't catch the ball, his starting fullback was signed just last week.

He's not playing as well as he has in the past - he's in a bigger shitstorm right now than he's ever been in the past - and likely to ever be again in the future. Put it this way, he's in a worse situation right now than Brady was last year when he was throwing to a bunch of no-names... but he's playing a lot better (let's not forget Brady had games like we did against the Raiders against the Jets and Dolphins last year, as well as an awful game against the Bengals... but at least they were half decent at the time). Even Manning had an awful game at the Patriots last year where he tossed for 150 yards, 53% completion and 4.2 YPA - and that was in a record setting offense.

Set your expectations lower.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
There was a post (Niners Dumpster fire IIR) in one of the other forums the other day with a quote about how Seattle is able to sell out all games, in the pouring rain against teams like the Raiders. And not only sell out, but also sell out the $$$ Club seats. Sure this is in part due to the Super Bowl win, but I guarantee you a large portion of that is due to Wilson! His play aside, the kid has that IT factor than not only the fanbase, but the whole Greater Seattle Area in general have fallen in love with. He was (until recent half assed attempts to dirty him up a little) our very own (no pun intended) White knight. He is a media darling and a marketing goldmine. Oh and a damn good football player. So (in my best John Wick voice) yeah, I'm thinking you sign him!

Mojambo

Reaction score
themunn":12ogra6v said:
RiverDog":12ogra6v said:

It's funny how year three isn't looking great given I remember him having 2 game winning drives, setting an NFL record as the first player with over 300 yards passing and 100 yards rushing in a single game and tossing 11 TDs to 3 INTS (while rushing for 3 more).

He's done this while taking snaps from 3 different centers, playing behind a rookie LT and two different LTs, missing his number 1 TE through injury, watching his number 1 target from 2013 go in FA and his number target through games 1-6 get traded away. His #1 and #2 receivers are UDFAs, his number 1 TE is a 4th round pick that can't catch the ball, his starting fullback was signed just last week.

He's not playing as well as he has in the past - he's in a bigger shitstorm right now than he's ever been in the past - and likely to ever be again in the future. Put it this way, he's in a worse situation right now than Brady was last year when he was throwing to a bunch of no-names... but he's playing a lot better (let's not forget Brady had games like we did against the Raiders against the Jets and Dolphins last year, as well as an awful game against the Bengals... but at least they were half decent at the time). Even Manning had an awful game at the Patriots last year where he tossed for 150 yards, 53% completion and 4.2 YPA - and that was in a record setting offense.

GREAT post.

AVL

Reaction score
The history of the shorter quarterback suggest management is always looking for a replacement.

While I doubt that is the case here, I think it holds true for many fans and media. How many times has it been stated

Wilson hit his ceiling or started the decline? Everyone denies the bias exists, but with so many deriders saying Wilson

would never see the field as a starter, don't you think there is a natural tendency for some to say "I told you so!" at every

opportunity?

The heck with them.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
themunn":2062cd2k said:
RiverDog":2062cd2k said:

I wouldn't even say "set expectations lower." I would say "understand the full picture of what you're seeing" which was beautifully illustrated in this post. QBs don't play in a bubble, and while Wilson isn't playing perfectly by any means, he's been huge for the team this season.

The post above should be required reading for the OP and those who might agree with him.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
AVL":jhlkv4tw said:
The history of the shorter quarterback suggest management is always looking for a replacement.

While I doubt that is the case here, I think it holds true for many fans and media. How many times has it been stated

Wilson hit his ceiling or started the decline? Everyone denies the bias exists, but with so many deriders saying Wilson

would never see the field as a starter, don't you think there is a natural tendency for some to say "I told you so!" at every

opportunity?

The heck with them.

Poetic.