Is Russell Wilson worth extending?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3gaq0yqp said:
Spin Doctor":3gaq0yqp said:
Basically what I am wondering is if we have a game manager vs. a guy who can actually produce. I'm starting to have doubts about his playing style being conduce to having a productive offense.

Whether Russell Wilson is worth extending and whether he is currently capable of being a dominant pocket passer regardless of his weaponry ala Peyton Manning are two very different questions.

I've been as hard on the guy as anyone lately, but I do believe you can build a dominant offense around Russell Wilson. You cannot build a dominant offense around Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy, or Matt Flynn, and those will be the comparables of your alternatives.

Let's be honest here, this FO hasn't exactly hung its hat on drafting offense or acquiring QBs. They plain got lucky with Wilson. You can't count on them replicating that success consistently.

I hope they spend almost the entire draft next year addressing the offense. Our defense is loaded with Talent...offense...complete opposite IMO,

About the ONLY thing I see that we need on D is interior pass rush and that is it...just that one thing.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2x8u3zix said:
WilsonMVP":2x8u3zix said:
I was listening to Colin Cowherd this week and he brought up a great point between the Colts and Jets. He brought up in the draft the Colts drafted a TON of offense the last 2-3 years to help Luck where the Jets drafted Sanchez and then just drafted Defense time after time with barely any help on offense.

Have no idea what this has to do with extending Russell Wilson?

Anyway to answer the question. Yes. He absolutely is worth extending. You're very unlikely to find someone in the draft that will perform like has has. You have no chance to find that on the free agent market. So you absolutely keep him long term.

If you read the part I wrote above that

"I hope he stays here a LONG time since he IMO is the best QB the Seahawks have had so far. I just hope they start to draft players to help him out. "

I was just pointing out that we need to draft to help him out. Dont be like the Jets and just keep drafting D, start drafting offense to help him out. I feel like he has been in a negative environment for passing the ball with how poor our Oline has been..it is ruining his progression as an ELITE QB

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":38tziq5p said:
If you read the part I wrote above that

"I hope he stays here a LONG time since he IMO is the best QB the Seahawks have had so far. I just hope they start to draft players to help him out. "

I was just pointing out that we need to draft to help him out. Dont be like the Jets and just keep drafting D, start drafting offense to help him out. I feel like he has been in a negative environment for passing the ball with how poor our Oline has been..it is ruining his progression as an ELITE QB

Sorry I missed that.

Either way.. they have been trying to get him some weapons. So I disagree with this point. They drafted Richardson, Michael, Norwood, Willson, Britt. They traded for Harvin.

I do agree that Wilson needs a legit #1 WR though. And I'm very sure the front office agrees with this, given what they gave up to get Harvin.

zhawk

Reaction score
His contract will be at least 100mil with about 60 to 70 % guaranteed. imho. :thirishdrinkers:

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
If you don't want to pay him that 120mil, I can list at least 15-20 teams that would love the opportunity to be paying that man that type of money.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":zicltz43 said:
If you don't want to pay him that 120mil, I can list at least 15-20 teams that would love the opportunity to be paying that man that type of money.
I'm not so sure, I'm really starting to question how good he really is as a passer. Granted some of it may be Bevell and Pete, but I'm not seeing him ever step up in the pocket, I'm not seeing Russell Wilson ever audible out of unfavorable plays against obvious blitz's or even adjust protection, lastly I'm not seeing much in the way of timing routes, or really any production over the middle. I never have rarely seen Russell Wilson throw to the spot where the receiver is supposed to be.

Again, some of these may be on Bevell and Pete but I'm starting to think that Russell may be playing a part in these decisions.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":tynksaxy said:
My question would be ...

Do we have to sign him in the offseason?

I am leaning towards yes so we can sign him before some other contracts. I believe Cam and Luck are eligible for new contracts too.

What would he do if we didnt sign him? Would he hold out? Technically he is under contract one more year

I hope he stays here a LONG time since he IMO is the best QB the Seahawks have had so far. I just hope they start to draft players to help him out.

I was listening to Colin Cowherd this week and he brought up a great point between the Colts and Jets. He brought up in the draft the Colts drafted a TON of offense the last 2-3 years to help Luck where the Jets drafted Sanchez and then just drafted Defense time after time with barely any help on offense.
Been saying this for a year basically if Pete wants to remain a HC in the NFL he better actually draft offense because Wilson is here to stay. Pete? Maybe or maybe not unless he accepts the facts and preferences for offense of the modern NFL.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3dhpt8pm said:
dontbelikethat":3dhpt8pm said:
I'm not so sure, I'm really starting to question how good he really is as a passer. Granted some of it may be Bevell and Pete, but I'm not seeing him ever step up in the pocket, I'm not seeing Russell Wilson ever audible out of unfavorable plays against obvious blitz's or even adjust protection, lastly I'm not seeing much in the way of timing routes, or really any production over the middle. I never have rarely seen Russell Wilson throw to the spot where the receiver is supposed to be.

Again, some of these may be on Bevell and Pete but I'm starting to think that Russell may be playing a part in these decisions.

Only about 6-8 teams that I would be confident in saying they probably wouldn't swap out their QB's.

DEN,NE,NOLA, SD, GB, IND, PIT... and then maybe (debatable) DAL,CAR,DET,PHI, ATL and that's pretty much it. You can't tell me a team like CIN wouldn't pay a few million more per year for a superior QB of Wilson compared to Dalton or the countless other teams that aren't listed that desperately need a franchise QB.

You don't want to pay him, someone will. Dalton getting a 6 yr/ 115mil contract...Kaep getting 6 yr/ 114mil... That's the price for consistency/franchise QB and Wilson is pretty much unanimously considered a better player than both.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Gelbaugh, Stouffer, McGwire, Mirer, Friesz, Torretta....

Remember them?

You get a QB like Russell Wilson, you don't let him go. Period.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":uh876bka said:
WilsonMVP":uh876bka said:
My question would be ...

Do we have to sign him in the offseason?

I am leaning towards yes so we can sign him before some other contracts. I believe Cam and Luck are eligible for new contracts too.

What would he do if we didnt sign him? Would he hold out? Technically he is under contract one more year

I hope he stays here a LONG time since he IMO is the best QB the Seahawks have had so far. I just hope they start to draft players to help him out.

Been saying this for a year basically if Pete wants to remain a HC in the NFL he better actually draft offense because Wilson is here to stay. Pete? Maybe or maybe not unless he accepts the facts and preferences for offense of the modern NFL.
Most of our high draft picks from the Carroll era have been spent on offense.

2010 -

1. Russell Okung
1. Earl Thomas
2. Golden Tate

2011 -

1. James Carpenter
3. Jon Moffit

2012 -

1. Bruce Irvin
2. KJ Wright

2013 -

1. Percy Harvin
2. Christine Michael

2014 -

2. Paul Richardson
3. Justin Britt

Since Carroll has been the head coach most our top picks have been on offense, that is what I find most disturbing.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Of course yes. The guy is a franchise qb who has everything you want.

What's the alternative? Go back to mediocrity but save some money that isn't ours?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Quarterbacks (even good but not great ones) are getting paid a lot of money and will continue to be.

Teams toil for years trying to find a good quarterback, much less a great one. There is a lack of quality players at the position and it is the biggest single point of failure for an entire team.

The probability of finding another player of even decent quality at this position is so low and the position is so critical that any team has to pay their QB heavily if they don't suck.

Wilson should and will get paid by this team. Only a GM/coach with a professional death wish would let him walk.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
If we sign him to a mega deal, I would like to also sign a legit #1 WR, and have him throw the ball at least 40 times a game. No joke.

lobohawk

Reaction score
I could see Chip Kelly's mad scientist mind imagining what he could do with Russell. The Texans would immediately be title contenders. Etc etc. yeah, he'd be gone in a heartbeat, if the door was left opened.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Well, If you watch the tape/or rewinds or whatever you will see that Wilson IS CARRYING this team.. he is worth whatever they pay him.
that's my opinion.

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":31mt7nt2 said:
Well, If you watch the tape/or rewinds or whatever you will see that Wilson IS CARRYING this team.. he is worth whatever they pay him.
that's my opinion.
I'm not impressed. He's not going through his progressions like he should, right now his footwork is a mess, his pocket presence is dismal (has always been) and he is not seeing the field like he should be. I'm not convinced that his style is conducive to long term success. He has decent accuracy, and most of the time he can be counted on to not turnover the ball, but that isn't enough in my mind to warrant 100 million dollars. The thing that worries me is Wilson's tendency to pull a disappearing act. His lack of audibles are also concerning, especially when it's obvious a blitz is coming. Does he not see the blitz or do they purposely not allow him to audible? With Lynch, Tate, Miller and Baldwin I feel like this offense should've been more productive last year.

Again, I don't know how much of this is Pete and Bevell. Bevell and Childress purposely limited the amount of audibles QB's could make in Minnesota. I would like Carroll and Bevell to take the training wheels off.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":32qbzwar said:
Scottemojo":32qbzwar said:
I like the topic, though I doubt this discussion will stay civil in all quarters, but it shouldn't be a long discussion just due to the 100% chance, IMO, that this deal will get done.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

The only question is...

How are we going to be able to judge whether or not it was a good decision?
That's easy, all you have to do is use your imagination, put Charlie Whitehurst up as a comparison, and you have your answer screaming loud and clear.
ALL top notched Quarterbacks have a bad game or two, in almost every single Year they play, and Russell Wilson is no exception there.
Our O-Line is a polished turd, and has been for quite awhile now, and guys that can scramble like Wilson are usually anemic somewhere else in their game.
1st time in NFL history, Wilson throws for 300 Yards, and another 100 Yards of running the ball himself...Got to make you ask yourself, if not signing him wouldn't be the dumbest move they could make.