JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

SonicHawk

Reaction score
True but the PSU defense weren't no slouch either at #2.
I unfortunately saw Michigan's defense in person in January. That was an elite group a step above everyone else.

Can we draft them at QB?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Ok, so if he's not hurt he puts up 140 again? At what point am I going to be impressed by a JJ performance?

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Ok, so if he's not hurt he puts up 140 again? At what point am I going to be impressed by a JJ performance?
I'm not sure there's any point you'll be impressed with McCarthy. You just can't seem to allow that he might actually be good and keep digging your heels in no matter what I, or anyone else says.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure there's any point you'll be impressed with McCarthy. You just can't seem to allow that he might actually be good and keep digging your heels in no matter what I, or anyone else says.
Well I'm certainly not going to be impressed by his stats.

He has a big arm and Harbaugh decided to not run the offense through it. It's not like Michigan was putting up 200 yards a game rushing. Michigan played exceptional defense, and an efficient enough offense to win.

WmHBonney

Reaction score

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Michigan was 43rd in ypg rushing. LSU and Oregon both were higher and their QBs had plenty more yards.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's called basic logic. He's only 21.
Interesting. I was told 200 yards per game and 1-2 touchdowns per game is horrific and not enough to do anything in the NFL. I wonder why JJ gets a pass when he can't even eclipse that in college?

And, sure, he's 21... but so are the other young quarterbacks who aren't producing such unacceptable, paltry, disgusting, career-backup numbers, right?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Some are conveniently glossing over the fact that Penix and that offense shredded the Texas defense.

And Oregon twice. If Oregon doesn't play Washington, they finish the year with a top 10 defense. Texas also dropped in overall defensive rankings because they had to play Washington.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Interesting. I was told 200 yards per game and 1-2 touchdowns per game is horrific and not enough to do anything in the NFL. I wonder why JJ gets a pass when he can't even eclipse that in college?

And, sure, he's 21... but so are the other young quarterbacks who aren't producing such unacceptable, paltry, disgusting, career-backup numbers, right?
Good point. But the other qb's didn't lead their team to a national championship, and aren't predicted to go in the top half of the 1st round this year. Given his arm, leadership and ability to process, it's easy to see him taking on a much larger role in the offense were he to stay in, with much improved stats. Look at what he is likely to become, not what he is now. That's all I was referring to by logic. Of course, it's possible that wouldn't happen, and I could be completely wrong about the kid, but it seems unlikely. If you disagree, that's fine . I would be curious what you're basing it on though. A 21 yr old 6' 3" kid who is still developing and who has the character and moxy to win a natty despite not putting up big numbers is a lot different than a 34 yr old vet who is [most likely] regressing.

Again, all of this is moot, since we won't have a shot at him anyway unless we trade up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Joel Klatt:

"JJ McCarthy is going to be a really good NFL quarterback, ok. Those of you that want to be a hater of JJ McCarthy that's fine. I'm going to be pretty surprised if he's not drafted in the top 15. I might be surprised if he's not taken in the top 10. That's the type of momentum he's generating. He plays a selfless brand of football. He's incredibly athletic. The guy spins it, he makes plays. He's a winner and he doesn't care who gets the credit."

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
And Oregon twice. If Oregon doesn't play Washington, they finish the year with a top 10 defense. Texas also dropped in overall defensive rankings because they had to play Washington.
Texas' defense wasn't even ranked top 25 at the end of the season and Oregon was #22. Not all that impressive.

Latest posts