JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Just finished. I think it's pretty spot on with all of our feelings about him but my favorite quote is "You can never reach on a franchise QB" -- spot on. If he's it, he's it.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Probably nine other teams are thinking the same thing too. Sigh.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Everything positive about JJ, was also a positive for Zach Wilson.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Everything positive about JJ, was also a positive for Zach Wilson.
I disagree a bit. Zach had real problems throwing with anticipation. I think JJ is a much better operator in that regard. McCarthy also doesn't pass up easy gains to throw bombs like Wilson did, although to his credit, Wilson had the arm to make that work in college. JJ doesn't, but I think he knows hw doesn't.

I feel bad for Zach Wilson. I think he could've been something but he really, really, really needed to go to a team who could wait for him to develop. Green Bay would've had that kid slingin' it after a couple seasons on the bench learning how to actually play QB like an NFL QB.

12forlife

Reaction score
I disagree a bit. Zach had real problems throwing with anticipation. I think JJ is a much better operator in that regard. McCarthy also doesn't pass up easy gains to throw bombs like Wilson did, although to his credit, Wilson had the arm to make that work in college. JJ doesn't, but I think he knows hw doesn't.

I feel bad for Zach Wilson. I think he could've been something but he really, really, really needed to go to a team who could wait for him to develop. Green Bay would've had that kid slingin' it after a couple seasons on the bench learning how to actually play QB like an NFL QB.
I think it's a part of being only 21, and still needing to sculpt a NFL body. JJ don't have an arm like Milton, but it is as good or better then your average NFL arm. JJ has shown in the last 2 seasons he "can" hit all 3 levels. I think already he shows a better arm then Brady or Manning had. A year on the bench adjusting to NFL schemes, and speed, while living in the weight room adding arm strength and bulk to absorb NFL abuse.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
For those that continue to doubt/hate McCarthy:

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Brady but this kid is NFL caliber. Anyone who keeps saying he's not first round material, I think that's just straight up ignorance. Klatt thinks he is and Simms thinks he is. They know a lot more about how to evaluate a QB then the rest of us, combined. It's not just about passing yards and rushing yards but how well they played within their system. Simms makes a great point about how much more difficult it is for a QB to be asked to hand the ball off 60% of the time and then be asked to hit a 3rd and 13 when they've not been given the chance to get in a rhythm.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think it's important for you to understand how little I give a shit about Klatt's opinions. He's nothing special.

I also don't find it impressive that a team had this elite first round quarterback -- and chose to hand it off all the ******* time.

What's ignorance is you unwilling to accept that your projections of him are not as strong as some people's views of performance. We are all guessing here, you choose to be an optimist.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Either JJ isn’t Brady, and not worth the pick, or Moore is a terrible OC. As for the only 21 argument, until this year haven’t lots of QBs in the draft “only” been 21?

12forlife

Reaction score
Either JJ isn’t Brady, and not worth the pick, or Moore is a terrible OC. As for the only 21 argument, until this year haven’t lots of QBs in the draft “only” been 21?
All we are saying their is much more room for growth mentally & physically if the player is 21, and not 24-25. 24-28 is when most guys are in their prime. @ 21 you have 2-3 years of molding your QB to be NFL ready when they hit their prime.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I think it's important for you to understand how little I give a shit about Klatt's opinions. He's nothing special.

I also don't find it impressive that a team had this elite first round quarterback -- and chose to hand it off all the ******* time.

What's ignorance is you unwilling to accept that your projections of him are not as strong as some people's views of performance. We are all guessing here, you choose to be an optimist.
Wow. The most stubborn internet person I’ve ever come across. Can’t even admit some of these people like Klatt or Simms who know more than you might be right about McCarthy. :rolleyes: How about Huard?

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1773573/huard-seattle-seahawks-whatever-it-takes-draft-j-j-mccarthy/

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Incredible how you and all these air-headed talking heads are so confident in some middling prospect who hasn't thrown for 3,000 yards in a season in college.

Wild how Huard isn't an NFL GM.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Running the ball 60/40 is no better/worse than throwing the ball 60/40. It comes down to philosophy and with Harbaugh being a Schembechler disciple it’s no surprise he prefers to run more. It has nothing to do with Moore or McCarthy’s value.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Incredible how you and all these air-headed talking heads are so confident in some middling prospect who hasn't thrown for 3,000 yards in a season in college.

I’m so not surprised you said that. You’re one of those people who can never be wrong. I’m done for now with this debate. It’s pointless. If I’m wrong I will fully admit it here. If I’m right I expect you to do the same. Although I’m not confident you’re capable of it.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I’m so not surprised you said that. You’re one of those people who can never be wrong. I’m done for now with this debate. It’s pointless. If I’m wrong I will fully admit it here. If I’m right I expect you to do the same. Although I’m not confident you’re capable of it.
Holy ****, go back and read my posts. How many times have I said that this is about our individual projection. You keep on pretending like your point is correct.

**** sakes. **** Michigan.

12forlife

Reaction score

Naw most of us just don't act like a pompous ass, and have actually watched the kid play. Take your stats and smoke it. JJ literally did what was asked of him, and did it to a high degree. No he didn't have 3000+ yards who gives a shit?? You like stats he only had 4 turnovers on the year. So for a young prospect he also understands ball security. He ran a gauntlet of very good teams to win the Natty, and when he had to, he dropped 3 tuddy's on Bama. Kid is clutch, a winner, and a team leader give me JJ all day, and twice on Sundays. I'll take what me, and the "air-heads" are seeing, cause he passes the eye test of an above average QB with special intangibles.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I watched him play too... I even posted an entire game clip in this thread. He's a longshot to be a longtime NFL QB.

He's not a winner. His team won. Oh yeah, he won in high school? I could give less than a shit.

List of current NFL QBs who didn't have a 3k+ yard year:
Will Levis
Daniel Jones

He's shorter with smaller hands than both of them too. Two trash qbs.

I'm the pompous ass because I have an opinion on him and facts to back it up and not just talking heads jerking themselves off about a guy who hasn't proven anything?

What seawolv refuses to do is acknowledge any point I've made and just posts soft data about some scout liking him. 15 pages of not being able to acknowledge that Michigan won because of their defense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Tom Brady played at Michigan and never had a 3,000 yard season. Heard of him???

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tom Brady played at Michigan and never had a 3,000 yard season. Heard of him???
Yeah, I heard of him, right when they called his name at pick 199 based on the first sentence of your post. Not exactly a replicable phenomenon