JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He's a winner... in college, where he wasn't the reason. JJ might go top 5, who knows. Doesn't validate his value. JJ was efficient in college, he did exactly what he was asked to do. And what he was asked to do was throw for 140 yards a game vs ranked teams. I don't care that he throws the ball 100mph, he's not impressive -- both in his stat line and his tape. He's fine.

He's the kind of guy you pick up later in the draft, sit on the bench, and see if he's made for something. Betting your franchise on a guy who had fewer touchdown passes in 2 years than Nix had this year -- not breaking 3000 yards passing in any season (in a year that Penix threw for almost 5,000).

Give me Blake Corum, someone that Michigan actually thought was worth running the offense through.

Hell, Harbaugh has the 3rd pick. I bet he could get a king's ransom for Herbert. Why not just trade Herbert and load up on draft picks while taking JJ? You can't make that argument because it would be stupid.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Link please.
...Link to his stats in the past year? Like you don't know them? You've been defending the guy for 15 pages and don't know his 2023 stats?

Okay. 199.4 passing yards per game, 1.466 passing touchdowns per game.

Glad we cleared that up.

If the link that you were requesting was regarding the "I was told" claim, that was directed to the person I was responding to and not implicating you.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Texas' defense wasn't even ranked top 25 at the end of the season and Oregon was #22. Not all that impressive.

Well there's a lot more that goes into how good a defense is than just overall yards and points given up.

And again, at the end of the season, Oregon had a game against Washington.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
...Link to his stats in the past year? Like you don't know them? You've been defending the guy for 15 pages and don't know his 2023 stats?

Okay. 199.4 passing yards per game, 1.466 passing touchdowns per game.

Glad we cleared that up.

If the link that you were requesting was regarding the "I was told" claim, that was directed to the person I was responding to and not implicating you.
No, the link for where you got that statement from. Whether directed at me or not I'm interested in whether it's actually valid.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
He's a winner... in college, where he wasn't the reason. JJ might go top 5, who knows. Doesn't validate his value. JJ was efficient in college, he did exactly what he was asked to do. And what he was asked to do was throw for 140 yards a game vs ranked teams. I don't care that he throws the ball 100mph, he's not impressive -- both in his stat line and his tape. He's fine.

He's the kind of guy you pick up later in the draft, sit on the bench, and see if he's made for something. Betting your franchise on a guy who had fewer touchdown passes in 2 years than Nix had this year -- not breaking 3000 yards passing in any season (in a year that Penix threw for almost 5,000).

Give me Blake Corum, someone that Michigan actually thought was worth running the offense through.

Hell, Harbaugh has the 3rd pick. I bet he could get a king's ransom for Herbert. Why not just trade Herbert and load up on draft picks while taking JJ? You can't make that argument because it would be stupid.
Only you would argue against Joel Klatt. Incredible. I offer up a mountain of evidence that you might be wrong and yet you just dig your heels in even more. At this point, it seems, anything short of a HOF career won't convince.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Mountain of evidence of nothing. I'm genuinely curious what the hell you think you've shared as evidence other than a few snippets of talking heads? You don't think I can't find people saying he's not a top 10 value draft pick?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If JJ turns out to be a viable NFL QB I have no reason to say anything otherwise. I don't have a personal vendetta against the guy. I just don't want my team to bet the farm on him.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I
And Oregon twice. If Oregon doesn't play Washington, they finish the year with a top 10 defense. Texas also dropped in overall defensive rankings because they had to play Washington.
oregon had a weakness, mediocre safeties. And Grubb attacked it.

Chevy

Reaction score
Only you would argue against Joel Klatt. Incredible. I offer up a mountain of evidence that you might be wrong and yet you just dig your heels in even more. At this point, it seems, anything short of a HOF career won't convince.

SeaWolv, I'll help your side of the debate when talking about JJ's stats. The stats that were offered up didn't show a comparison or ranking to the other college QBs this season. Some stats are misleading when comparing QBs. Coaching philosophy has a huge impact on a QB's passing yards and TDs. Michigan offense has been a conservative run fist team with Jim Harbaugh as the head coach. Saying Harbaugh didn't trust JJ and that's why they relied on the run, is inauthentic.

Here are some better QB stats to look at....

- JJ ranked #6th in the nation in completion percentage (72.3%). That's ahead of Jayden Daniels, Caleb Williams, Michael Penix, and Drake Maye.

- JJ ranked #12th in the nation in yards thrown per attempt (9.0 yards). That's ahead of Drake Maye and Michael Penix.

- JJ ranked in QB #9th in the nation QB rating (167.43). That is ahead of Darke Maye and Michael Penix.

Yes, JJ didn't pass for a ton of yards or TD's, but that's because Harbaugh is not a throw it all over the field minded coach. Pete Carroll was the same way, wanting to run first and ball control.

Here is a great website for college football stats...

12forlife

Reaction score
Ok, so if he's not hurt he puts up 140 again? At what point am I going to be impressed by a JJ performance?
Stop grasping at straws dude. If you to blind to understand he went 27-1!! Then to win the Natty this year the take done Penn State, Ohio St, Iowa, Alabama & Washington. That was JJ McCarthy at the helm! Hell he dropped 3 td's on Bama, what more do you want from a college kid? Jj is what you describe as CLUTCH!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Stop grasping at straws dude. If you to blind to understand he went 27-1!! Then to win the Natty this year the take done Penn State, Ohio St, Iowa, Alabama & Washington. That was JJ McCarthy at the helm! Hell he dropped 3 td's on Bama, what more do you want from a college kid? Jj is what you describe as CLUTCH!
Grasping for straws? How many times do I have to post stats to make my point at least remotely valid? Michigan had the best defense in the country and their offense was run through Corum. JJ wasn’t the most important guy on his own team. He was a cog. His team's success has almost nothing to do with his performance.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't have some interesting skillsets that might translate, I'm only arguing that he has not shown his ability like others. Brock Purdy went 7-6 in his senior season. Lamar Jackson 8-5. Patrick Mahomes 5-7. 27-1 is ******* meaningless.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
SeaWolv, I'll help your side of the debate when talking about JJ's stats. The stats that were offered up didn't show a comparison or ranking to the other college QBs this season. Some stats are misleading when comparing QBs. Coaching philosophy has a huge impact on a QB's passing yards and TDs. Michigan offense has been a conservative run fist team with Jim Harbaugh as the head coach. Saying Harbaugh didn't trust JJ and that's why they relied on the run, is inauthentic.

Here are some better QB stats to look at....

- JJ ranked #6th in the nation in completion percentage (72.3%). That's ahead of Jayden Daniels, Caleb Williams, Michael Penix, and Drake Maye.

- JJ ranked #12th in the nation in yards thrown per attempt (9.0 yards). That's ahead of Drake Maye and Michael Penix.

- JJ ranked in QB #9th in the nation QB rating (167.43). That is ahead of Darke Maye and Michael Penix.

Yes, JJ didn't pass for a ton of yards or TD's, but that's because Harbaugh is not a throw it all over the field minded coach. Pete Carroll was the same way, wanting to run first and ball control.

Here is a great website for college football stats...

Those are all solid stats.

But by those numbers, we should be drafting Bo Nix.

Chevy

Reaction score
Those are all solid stats.

But by those numbers, we should be drafting Bo Nix.

Stats is just a one aspect of the evaluation processes. I'm not the one who was pushing the JJ stat argument, that person seemed to be you.

12forlife

Reaction score
Grasping for straws? How many times do I have to post stats to make my point at least remotely valid? Michigan had the best defense in the country and their offense was run through Corum. JJ wasn’t the most important guy on his own team. He was a cog. His team's success has almost nothing to do with his performance.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't have some interesting skillsets that might translate, I'm only arguing that he has not shown his ability like others. Brock Purdy went 7-6 in his senior season. Lamar Jackson 8-5. Patrick Mahomes 5-7. 27-1 is ******* meaningless.
Agree to disagree, not saying he didnt have a solid team around him, but agin it was the 12th best recruiting class, just a bunch of guys buying into the system and doing their jobs. JJ did exactly what was asked of him, plain and simple. No he didn't average 300yrd & 3 td a game. Not what was asked of JJ. He did make big plays when asked of though, wether with his legs or a big time throw to move the chains or put them ahead. Again the kid just turned 21. So many tools there to work with, and mold. Plus I know it is just talk, but damn the kid is well spoken, shows amazing leadership, and is a film junkie. And yes sir "ya can't be no geek off the street " to go 27-1 in the BIG 10.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If McCarthy can do more than what he did at Michigan, he will be great. That's the question mark, though.

YPA and long pass completion percentage are going to look great when the offense successfully runs the ball over and over, opening up wide open touchdown passes. With that said, I'd have to look at the "film" (aka highlight videos on YouTube lol) to really break things down.

Compared to Penix, where the offense was planned around him and his ability to distribute the ball all over the field, and he showed he can do that. The pass opened up the run. Etc.

I wouldn't be unhappy with McCarthy, of any number of QBs in this draft, as long as they are drafted at the right place, and as long as the coaches are as sure as possible that there's a good chance they can develop them into a good starting NFL QB. Otherwise, it's just a waste. I know, I know...duh.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Haven't finished it yet, but TGS just did their JJ special. I know he's relatively high on him but always enjoy his thoughts.

Latest posts