JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I didn't say McCarthy sucks.

I said he's not deserving of a first round pick. And then -- for this entire thread I have shared game footage (not bullshit highlight reels), stats, and comparisons. I've even shared things I like about him.

All you can do is respond with a couple of talking heads who like him and "sometimes games are defensive struggles" -- I guess every game is when you have JJ running the helm. You're not a serious debater, you're a homer.

12forlife

Reaction score
Accuracy is a really difficult thing to suddenly get way better at. This is game film vs Purdue, not the Niners. Throwing open receivers is one of those things you have to do consistently in the NFL because you're not going to have so many open receivers.

My main argument against JJ is over-drafting him. You give me him in the late 2nd or 3rd and all of a sudden I'm a bit more excited. You're not betting your franchise on him. Then again, I'm still not blown away by his measurables. He's not exceptional at anything. He's not tall, he doesn't have big hands, he's not extremely fast or agile. He's got a zippy arm but only with a longer windup. You're hoping he turns into Brock Purdy.

That's not a slight at Purdy -- let's look at some Purdy film.

The anticipation on these throws is significantly better, his athleticism is better. His touch is better. Every time I watch Purdy though from college I get flabbergasted at how he was so undervalued.

Agree to disagree with almost this whole response. Now JJ isn't accurate 72% comp doesn't just happen. JJ is all the athlete that Brock Purdy is right now. Have to ask, have you been drinking? JJ now isn't athletic or agile? That just shows your strong dislike for the kid, starting to cloud your judgement. JJ is the 3rd most athletic QB in the draft behind Daniels & Milton, and they are freaks.

12forlife

Reaction score
Shit, how could i miss that incredible 220 yard performance.

How could I forget a game where everyone was like "god these teams kind of suck on offense".

Continue your trolliism, it is fascinating to me. Jj just said take 27-1 and smoke it lol.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
You keep saying 27-1 like that's a thing that matters. It's such a non-factor in talent evaluation that I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling me.

Patrick Mahomes had a losing record in college. Josh Allen was 16-11 in college. Tom Brady was 20-5. Who... gives... a shit. He's going to lose in the NFL. He's going to play against teams that are better than his. He's going to have to win games.

Also, JJ's as athletic as your average QB nowadays. He's not a special runner, almost all QBs can move now.

12forlife

Reaction score
You keep saying 27-1 like that's a thing that matters. It's such a non-factor in talent evaluation that I genuinely can't tell if you're trolling me.

Patrick Mahomes had a losing record in college. Josh Allen was 16-11 in college. Tom Brady was 20-5. Who... gives... a shit. He's going to lose in the NFL. He's going to play against teams that are better than his. He's going to have to win games.

Also, JJ's as athletic as your average QB nowadays. He's not a special runner, almost all QBs can move now.
And what your missing is JJ is as clutch as any prospect coming out. You have me asking If your serious that a 27-1 record means nothing in today's world? Isn't the object here, to win? I'm sorry Mahomes wasn't Mahomes in college and couldn't lead his team to more wins in a weaker division. Same can be said for a Josh Allen. Knocking JJ for being a winner I'm sorry is just plain and simply ignorance. Holy hell I get the feeling if JJ had a college record of 20-8 you would think higher of him for some odd reason?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The Office GIF

His team record doesn't matter. He could be 1-28 or 15-14 and I'd have the same thoughts about him.

12forlife

Reaction score
Say something useful or keep your mouth shut.
Your evaluation of JJ is comical.
27-1 shame on you JJ for being a winner! Even though your record has nothing to do with you manning the most important position in football. The Wolverines could have done just aswell if Uncle Rico was QB lol

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Blah blah blah. Don't have a single football argument so you come up with cute little comebacks. It's a bitch move.

Let's get back to football opinions.

Last edited:

Maulbert

Reaction score
As is yours for Penix.
I don't hate Penix, again. I fully expect him to go in the 2nd round. This dude is saying McCarthy is a day 3 pick, talent-wise. That's a fundamental difference. Also, if Penix didn't have his injury history, I expect he would be a top 10 pick. That satisfy your desperation that I slobber over the guy? Learn some goddamn context.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, that's just plain not true. JJ clearly is a first round QB.

I just don't think you like Penix, that's my opinion. Don't like it, that's ok too.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Yeah, that's just plain not true. JJ clearly is a first round QB.

I just don't think you like Penix, that's my opinion. Don't like it, that's ok too.
Think what you want. You're wrong, though. My issue in the Penix thread was that people were acting like he was better than Williams, Daniels, and Maye combined. Go read that first post. It was delusional bullshit.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Daniels is the best pure runner. Probably 3rd or 4th best passer. Good touch, good decision making on when to run/throw. Stays confident in the pocket. I’m really worried about him being RGIII and being injured the way he runs. If he learns to slide and avoid the big hit he’ll be special.

Caleb is that but a better passer. Clear #1

Penix is maybe the best pure passer. It’s the injuries though, he was hurt multiple games this year and played through it but clearly affected him.

Maye… really trying to give me a bit of a pass because of his wr room being shoddy, but he didn’t look great this year.

Nix. Bo Nix is a college QB. At least with JJ i see potential and upside.

But no way you watch Penixs unreal ability to zip a ball and drop it perfectly 30 yards downfield on a consistent basis and not salivate.

GemCity

Reaction score
JJ is a first rounder…this year. There’s too many QB needy teams.

If it we’re a “normal” draft, he’s not a Day 1 pick.

SonicHawk is spot on imo (sans the wins/losses). The caveat is QB being an overwhelming position of need. Perhaps that’s where the disconnect is here in this discussion?

The ultimate variable here is that the draft is like playing roulette. Every team passed over Purdy…not that he’s the bar but, who would’ve thought he’d be doing what he’s doing now?

I think JJ can have a solid career. Personally, I don’t see him ever being a top 15 type guy. Just opinion…I’ve been wrong before.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Jj will almost certainly go in the top 12, which is a shame, because he'll likely be thrust into the starting role before he's ready. He would be an ideal fit with the Hawks, where he could sit for a year and develop. It won't happen, but it's fun to think about nonetheless.