Let Hass retire a Seahawk

HawkGA

Reaction score
olyfan63":1h4hqhm8 said:
Hasselbeck":1h4hqhm8 said:
HawkGA":1h4hqhm8 said:
sc85sis":1h4hqhm8 said:
He spent the vast majority of his career leading this team and was the QB for the team's first Super Bowl. He deserves to retire a Seahawk if he so wishes.

Not sure I'd say he spent the vast majority of his career here. His starting career, yes, but he's closing in on about half of his career being in Seattle and the other half being elsewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Hasselbeck

That's not really relevant though. Who thinks of the years Hasselbeck was a 3rd stringer in Green Bay, and backup in Tennessee (short time starter too) and Indy?

Would be like considering Brett Favre a Falcon or John Elway as a Colt

Or Joe Montana as a Kansas City Chief. (Though he did take KC to a playoff appearance or two and maybe even a playoff win IIRC)

I wouldn't put Hass in the same category with those other Qbs. But I wouldn't consider him a QB for any of those teams either, especially since he was just a backup. Just sometimes I think we let emotions cloud out facts. 10 years out of 17 does not, for me, count as a vast majority. It counts as a little better than half. The VAST majority of Montana's career and Elway's career and even Favre's career was spent with one team. One way to look at Hass is that Seattle was the only team he could qualify as a starter in.

drdiags

Reaction score
I don't think Hass wants to retire a Seahawk. I get the impression he wasn't too fond of how he left. But yes, if he wants it I would like to see the team do it.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
MVP53":3b7sbco2 said:
ImTheScientist":3b7sbco2 said:
Sorry, but I don't agree with letting him retire a hawk. I don't think an average player deserves that honor. I know I'm in the minority but I never liked him. Please do understand this is just my opinion.

If retiring as a Seahawk is such an elite club, can you name all the players that have done it?

Signing a 1 day contract to ceremoniously retire with a team isn't something that's etched in stone for all to see when they enter the stadium. It's simply a nice gesture to a player who played a big role in the franchise. It would mean a lot to Hass (I assume), most fans would like it, then most people would probably forget it even happened.

So, what's the harm? It's not like you're diluting some elite fraternity.

I feel like average shouldn't get that honor. Not every kid should get a trophy imo.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm not up for signing him as a backup QB but would do a 1 day retirement contract and have never thought there'd be any other plan than that.

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
From my perspective as a fan, I look at the ROH as a circle of beloved players for our team. When Matt and the '05 team got us to the big dance, that was a huge moment for us, it brought us out of the dim land of irrelevance into the light of day nationally. If Matt isn't deserving of the ROH, I don't know why the other players are up there either.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":e60nrajh said:
Seahawkfan80":e60nrajh said:
He may not be Ring Of Honor material either.....

Maybe not, but Jim Zorn and Dave Krieg are in there... so maybe we set the bar a little low, haha... but if he doesn't get in while those 2 are in there it would kind of be a slight, IMO.

Good point.

Retire a Seahawk... no brainer.
Ring of Honor......... debatable.

Chapow

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":grm1ggvf said:
MVP53":grm1ggvf said:
ImTheScientist":grm1ggvf said:
Sorry, but I don't agree with letting him retire a hawk. I don't think an average player deserves that honor. I know I'm in the minority but I never liked him. Please do understand this is just my opinion.

If retiring as a Seahawk is such an elite club, can you name all the players that have done it?

Signing a 1 day contract to ceremoniously retire with a team isn't something that's etched in stone for all to see when they enter the stadium. It's simply a nice gesture to a player who played a big role in the franchise. It would mean a lot to Hass (I assume), most fans would like it, then most people would probably forget it even happened.

I feel like average shouldn't get that honor. Not every kid should get a trophy imo.

And most people feel that Hass was better than average when he was our starting QB, significantly better than average during his best years. He was the leader of the offense, the field general, and the face of the franchise during the most successful era of Seahawks football before this current era. I feel like he has earned the honor of retiring as a Seahawk if he wants to.

Again, we are talking about a gesture where he gets a one day contract to retire with the team that he gave his prime years to. We're not talking about the HOF, or retiring his number, or even the ROH. I don't see what the big deal is. It's really just a nice gesture and that's about it.

MVP53

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2indutva said:
MVP53":2indutva said:
ImTheScientist":2indutva said:

Define "average".

138 games played and arguably the franchises 2nd most successful QB of all time hardly seems "average" to me.

And again, he doesn't deserve the honor of simply being recognized by the organization & the fans for a whole press conference sometime at the beginning of training camp?

irocdave

Reaction score
I'll play the new "don't hurt my feelings or I'm telling.." game. Would love to see him retire as a Hawk. He was here for along time and delivered the most success this franchise had ever experienced (guess I have to say this cause someone will bring it up. Until PC and JS arrived) and brought national attention to a down trodden franchise. Yea, the Hawks sucked for more than a decade and when they didn't suck there was no internet or social media. The only way people outside the PNW got any Hawk coverage was via random newspaper articles or The George Michael Sports Machine at 11:00PM on Sunday nights. Or a rare Monday Night Football matchup that the Hawks almost always seemed to win, but were rarely invited to.

Ring of honor? Probably not. Jim Z and Dave K, yes. I don't think this thought is out of line, hell, we had Warren Moon break most single season passing records for the Hawks and there was no push by the fans for him to retire as a Hawk. We all knew he should retire as an Oiler / Titan. That's where he spent most of his time starting and had his best years.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3aqwqdlj said:
Hi Roland....it is just an opinion. If you don't agree with me you can explain why in a polite manner. Just posting "please don't" is rude, and against forum policy. I believe a post was made stating that type of behavior would result in a ban.

Regardless, I did state it wouldn't be a popular POV. Its just the feeling of one poster and I explained in detail why a few posts up. Feel free to read my response and reasoning. Thanks. Go Hawks!
Don't give me that "it's JUST an opinion" crap, people's "just an opinions" got Kearly to stop posting his Random Thoughts threads, for instance.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":5f50hbd7 said:
ImTheScientist":5f50hbd7 said:
Hi Roland....it is just an opinion. If you don't agree with me you can explain why in a polite manner. Just posting "please don't" is rude, and against forum policy. I believe a post was made stating that type of behavior would result in a ban.

Regardless, I did state it wouldn't be a popular POV. Its just the feeling of one poster and I explained in detail why a few posts up. Feel free to read my response and reasoning. Thanks. Go Hawks!
Don't give me that "it's JUST an opinion" crap, people's "just an opinions" got Kearly to stop posting his Random Thoughts threads, for instance.

Is that your final opinion on the matter. :)

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Maybe not the Ring of Honor but definitely retire as a Seahawk and raise the 12th Man Flag before a game.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I do feel like 10 years is the majority of his career when you considere Seattle is where he was actually a starter. He wasn't in GB or any of the places he's been since leaving Seattle.

He was the QB that lead the Hawks to their first Super Bowl. He deserves to retire as a Seahawk if he wants to.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":21imrx8q said:
MVP53":21imrx8q said:
ImTheScientist":21imrx8q said:

If we were talking about the HoF, a retired jersey number, or addition to the RoH, I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.

Since we're talking about a one-day contract ceremony that simply acknowledges his history with the team and doesn't attach any larger significance to it, I can't get on board with your rigidity.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
It's all Russell's fault. Damn him for showing us what a true franchise QB is for the first time!

If it wasn't for Russ, Hass would be an instant ROH member in the minds of most fans. As is, I'm happy with him retiring as a Hawk, raising the flag, and being a Seahawk ambassador for many years to come.

Msfann

Reaction score
Hass will make it onto the ROH easily, he was the team general for some good years and took us to our 1st super bowl.
Hall of fame? not a chance but our ROH he'll be in I have no doubt.

I would be awesome to have him on the roster at some point this year and maybe get the guy a ring.

Latest posts