Malik Turner tender removed, and cut

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Im still bitter he dropped that ball on the last drive in GB. His mistake was the last mistake in the game so I irrationally blame him for the loss.

The Breh

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3ibj86vo said:
Shanegotyou11":3ibj86vo said:
IndyHawk":3ibj86vo said:
Cyrus12":3ibj86vo said:
If only he made that catch...
Right there-That catch!Perfect pass and he choked.
I'm so for him being let go.. :2thumbs:

Guess russ wouldnt be here then.

People mess up and make mistakes.

I don't understand this post. Russ would have gotten traded if Turner would have caught that pass?
He means Russ made a mistake on "the play" in the SB and threw too high to Lockette.
It was implied mistake = cut.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
The Breh":3mmbzyi2 said:
Seanhawk":3mmbzyi2 said:
Shanegotyou11":3mmbzyi2 said:
IndyHawk":3mmbzyi2 said:
Right there-That catch!Perfect pass and he choked.
I'm so for him being let go.. :2thumbs:

I don't understand this post. Russ would have gotten traded if Turner would have caught that pass?
He means Russ made a mistake on "the play" in the SB and threw too high to Lockette.

Aaah, so if your assumption is correct, he is just building a flimsy strawman. Got it.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2euph1za said:
The Breh":2euph1za said:
Seanhawk":2euph1za said:
Shanegotyou11":2euph1za said:

Aaah, so if your assumption is correct, he is just building a flimsy strawman. Got it.
The original post suggested that Turner deserved to be cut based on a single mistake. The response was simply pointing out that players should not be cut based on one mistake; if players were cut based on one mistake good players such as Russ would be cut (it really doesn't seem that hard to understand).

Most fan bases tend to be forgiving of mistakes from star players and less forgiving of mistakes from fringe players. It's understandable, but not logical.

Side note, that was not a straw man. I notice that many people, in general not just on this board, incorrectly accuse others of using a straw man. Hearing someone else use a term or looking up the definition online does not always result in an understanding of the correct usage. This is especially true when the people you are around on a daily basis are likely also misusing the term.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nah, not because of one mistake. He just isn't up to par overall to stay on the roster. That particular play MIGHT have been the final nail though.

Largent80

Reaction score
The draft is absolutely stacked with very good wide receivers. Literally over 20 with very high grades.

The cut is very easy to understand knowing that.

Seafan

Reaction score
The team needs to emphasize good, consistent hands. Changes are coming IMO. The roster has depth and there are several vets still out there, maybe get Josh Gordan back. This is the deepest WR draft in years and there is no need for the Hawks to waste a 1st or 2nd day pick on one.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I'm going with the Pete and John "Doing right by the player" theory.
Mostly because they've shown this pattern in past behavior.

Turner made a number of key plays during the season, including in difference-making moments. Maybe JAG, but normally a reliable one. He blocked in the run game. He played special teams well.

Yes, the key drop in the GB game sucked. But IIRC it wasn't a 4th down play that ended everything. There were other non-plays made after that by others. Had he caught that and we completed the comeback, maybe it makes a difference for him, maybe not.

There are WR-poor teams like NE and others out there where he might have a better shot to stick. If he doesn't land elsewhere, then chances are good the Hawks will bring him back at some point, injuries, etc.

I also think the Clowney-news-coming theory is a real possibility, and small amounts of cap like Turner's may be needed to get over the hump.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1b9ja450 said:
Shame that his drop in Green Bay makes people forget how well he played during the year.

Turner had some good plays in 2019, but that one drop effectively ended the season for us. It turned the tide and we lost all momentum. You could just see the energy of the team stop at that moment.

When the pressure is on, you simply have to catch the balls that are thrown right in your hands. It's all about those final minutes. Adios. I'm sure he'll catch on with the Jaguars, Lions or the Bengals or another team that is not in line for the Super Bowl.

olyfan63

Reaction score
OK, I'm tossing out the GB drop as even being that much of a factor.
I think the Hawks didn't consider Turner as the solution for the "Big Bodied WR" role, the Big Mike Williams role, that Pete, and Schotty, want his offense to have. Turner isn't big enough to create physical mismatches.

Look what the Seahawks did in FA and the Draft: Greg Olson, Colby Parkinson, Steven Sullivan. They went out and got big-bodied pass catchers. I think THAT is the reason they are moving on from Malik Turner, that he is a tweener, doesn't give them the quick, always-gets-open skill of a Baldwin or a Lockett, doesn't give them the speed and physical mismatch of a DK Metcalf, not to mention Metcalf's excellent blocking, and just generally doesn't give them the big-bodied WR role, or the quick slot-receiver-type always-gets-open role.

With Metcalf and Olson, and then Parkinson or Sullivan in the game in the Red Zone, Russell has a seam option in Olson, or alley-oop/post-up options in Metcalf and Parkinson/Sullivan. How many 6'3" DBs does our opponent's defense have? How are their 5'10" corners going to match up with our big WRs? Turner didn't create those dilemmas for opposing defenses.

Now we just need Russell Wilson to get better at throwing to "covered" receivers who will go up and get it.

Malik Turner, thank you for your service, and best wishes in your next stop, hope you catch on and have success.