Marshawn Lynch visiting with Raiders today

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
yep. Thus my attempt to change the subject of the beaten horse that is XLIX. I was at the game, don't need any more reminders :shock:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Since the Raiders apparently don't want to just include a traded pick in the deal, how about the idea of swapping draft picks. One option would be giving the rights to Lynch and our 7th round pick (No. 226) for Oakland's 5th round pick (168)? We gain 58 spots for a potentially more polished player and Oakland still has as many draft picks as before the trade.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2zfr72a1 said:
yep. Thus my attempt to change the subject of the beaten horse that is XLIX. I was at the game, don't need any more reminders :shock:

So it's your fault!!!

Still don't care if we let Lynch walk to Oakland for free. The only idea that I find tolerable is the one Sioux just handed out (swapping pick orders in a late round).

Hyak

Reaction score
There's zero credible evidence that the Seahawks called the pass play at the end because they wanted to prevent Marshawn from being the hero.

I don't see how anyone can look at the Marshawn/Seahawks relationship and come away that they screwed him. He was a bust 1st rounder when he came to town.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":c3ilh2tq said:
mikeak":c3ilh2tq said:
ivotuk":c3ilh2tq said:
There's the matter of the $5 million dollars we didn't ask him to return. We need to be compensated for that.

As I understand it we will be on the hook for his $8 / $9 million salary if he returns. Raiders don't want it so that would force us to cut him or take him back......

So it is quite tricky. The trade-off could be a redone contract changing it to $4M - $5M AND then trade him to Raider for something and he keeps the $5million from signing bonus

Personally - I would rather sign AP than Lynch

It's not really all that tricky unless you believe that Lynch is out to screw the Seahawks. It's quite easy for him to sign a new contract with the Raiders after the trade and they would be contingent on each other. Since he'd only play for the Raiders, and Schneider has said that he has a great relationship with their GM, it should be a breeze to make it happen. I'd look for a second half of the draft pick, and it may even be a future pick dependent upon his playing time.

The level of complexity can be discussed - at the end of the day a trade isn't just a trade but it will require a re-signed contract. Either Oakland or Seattle does it first

Yes the relationship between Seattle and Oakland will help but it is also about trust. If he gets traded and then signs then Oakland has to trust Lynch. On the flip side if Oakland is willing to put up any guaranteed money then I honestly don't see Seattle risking it with signing a deal and then doing a trade. Why would we take any risk at all

So it is still tricky and will come down to whom will trust whom and how much. Doesn't mean it doesn't get done

semiahmoo

Reaction score
If it happens, we just let him walk.
He owes us nothing.

Have to admit it would be something to see the Raiders go to the SB and it comes down to a final play on the 1-yard line and they hand it off to Beast and he smashes it in for the TD.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Seattle has little hope of getting anything meaningful for Lynch. H/T to Popeyejones for convincing me of this.

All Lynch has to do is to unretire, and his 2017 cap hit is back on our books. We can't afford to carry the cap hit through the season, so this leaves us with 4 options.

1 - Renegotiate the contract and keep him on the team. Lynch won't agree to this. He isn't going to play for us, and we don't have a place for him on the team. Isn't going to happen.

2 - Trade him to a team other than Oakland. No one is going to take on his full cap hit for a 31-year-old back , with personality issues, who has basically been out of the league for two years, and who has no desire to play for anyone except Oakland. Isn't going to happen.

3 - Cut him outright. This is the cleanest way, but we obviously get nothing.

4 - Work out a deal with Oakland and Marshawn for him to play for them on a reduced contract. There is some finessing involved because one of the parties will take some risk until the deal is fully complete. Lynch could renegotiate a contract with us that is acceptable to Oakland who would then trade for him. Lynch takes on the risk that he signs the contract and then one of the teams backs out of the trade. We could trade his full contract to Oakland, and let them negotiate a new contract, but then Oakland would be at risk, for whatever they gave up in trade, should they not be able to come to terms with Lynch.

I think that some version of the 4th option is most likely, with Oakland giving up, at best, a conditional 5th round in 2018. If he gets cut before the season, we get nothing. If he makes the team but plays in less than half the games, we get a 7th rounder. If he has a remarkable season, we get a 5th.

Oakland is fully aware of our options, and even a 2018 5th might be stretching it. The only reason they would give anything is because of the relationship of the front offices. Oakland doesn't need to do anything, and they will get him for free after we cut him.

Traded and cut players don't pay back bonuses, so we can discard any talk of asking for money back from Lynch.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure why people insist on there being all this risk involved in the contract renegotiation/trade. Contracts are commonly written with contingencies included, and trades often come with them as well. Any trade could be contingent on his playing time, and that would mean the Raiders wouldn't lose anything should they not come to terms on a contract. I would assume that any trade involving Lynch would be for a future pick and not this year's draft, which means no risk to anyone involved whatsoever.

Basically it works like this....we trade with the Raiders...we give them Lynch and they give us a conditional draft pick next year. If he signs and plays a minimum number of snaps we get the pick. If he doesn't sign, or doesn't meet the minimum number of plays for whatever reason, the pick stays with the Raiders. It really can be that simple unless someone wants to screw someone else, and I just don't see that in this at all.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Great post bsdoc!

We don't hold the leverage here because a) he doesn't want to play for us and b) there's no way in hell we take on his salary due to our own cap reasons. We'd have to cut players from the team just for spite to retain a guy who has no intention to play for us. That would amount to a lost season, so it's outside the bounds of possibility.

We have to hope the teams play nice and adapt doc's No. 4 option or swap draft picks this year like I mentioned earlier. I suppose we could stash Lynch on our roster until the very last second before teams need to have their numbers under the cap (season opener?) so as to deny him training camp with the Raiders, but that would be a real dick move and make us look petty to the rest of the world. So if Oakland doesn't play ball, cut him and wish him well, but keep it in the back of our minds for future dealings with the Raiders.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
semiahmoo":13bdgxl5 said:
If it happens, we just let him walk.
He owes us nothing.

Have to admit it would be something to see the Raiders go to the SB and it comes down to a final play on the 1-yard line and they hand it off to Beast and he smashes it in for the TD.

Way to keep things on track...

literally can't help yourself

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
A friend and I have put the Lynch compensation over/under at 6.5 ... a 7th or outright release and he wins, a 6th or better I win ...

He was arguing an outright release or a 7th and I was thinking a 5th if we're lucky.

mikeak

Reaction score
c_hawkbob":27zmeisl said:
A friend and I have put the Lynch compensation over/under at 6.5 ... a 7th or outright release and he wins, a 6th or better I win ...

He was arguing an outright release or a 7th and I was thinking a 5th if we're lucky.

If we get a 6th for a 7th then who wins the bet?

nash72

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ugeae7jq said:
Enough with the XLIX call, geezus. And god forbid anyone gives credit to Butler for an amazing play.

When you know what the play is before it even happens, that int becomes far less amazing.

Hyak

Reaction score
If Kearse actually does his part instead of getting stoned by Browner, Lockette is wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.