McGruff's Diamonds - Offensive Line

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Joe Haeg is someone I'd love to see drafted. He might lack a bit of strength but his technique is really good and he fits right in. Probably not a day 1 starter but certainly worth a mid round pick who could be the starting LT of the future. I know lots of people feel like it's a win now year but we shouldn't pass up on someone who could be amazing with a year of NFL level training. The only place we are able to find a possible upgrade at LT is in the first round or maybe the early second. So any LT after the first will probably be a project anyway, why not take someone who actually knows how to play but just has to mature his body more to be really effective?

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
OT Tyler Johnstone, Oregon
6'5", 301 lbs, 34 inch arms, 107 Sparq (58% percentile)

[youtube]gSMImtKtIts[/youtube]

Strengths: The video shows Johnstone going against a very good Michigan St. line featuring a 1st round draft pick (Calhoun) and a 3rd-4th round pick (Thomas). One is a speed rusher and the other is a power end, and Johnstone handles both adeptly as a pass protector.He's quick out of his stance, does a good job mirroring defenders and staying in front of them. He's doesn't reach block often and plays within his frame. Is effective getting in the way as a run blocker.

Weaknesses: Like many linemen coming from a spread offense, Johnstone does not demonstrate anything in the way of power or drive blocking. Its not that he can't, its just that they don't. It's an unknown and a bit of a coaching nightmare. The big question mark is back to back ACL tears that he battled back from in 2015. Medical clearance will be an issue.

Team fit: I don't know that Johnstone has the positional versatility we crave. He looks like a pure left tackle, but the upside is there as he continues to regain his athletic ability following back to back ACL surgeries in 2013 and 2014. The question for Seattle is if he has the strength and aggressiveness to be on our radar.

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":i1e3wpav said:
OT Brandon Shell, South Carolina

Ugh, his tape makes me feel like I am watching Russell Okung, and that's not a compliment :(

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":wcjkxf2g said:
OT/OG Joe Thuney, North Carolina State

Not bad. Wouldn't mind spending a late round pick on this guy.

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":3kxt56bx said:
OT Connor McGovern

Not bad, I just have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about Missouri linemen after the Justin Britt disaster. Did we really spend a 2nd round pick on that guy?

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":15qyzi8h said:
OT Joe haeg, North Dakota St.

Jeez, if he looks this marginal against Montana St what is he going to do against top tier competition. This guy's a lump of coal on your diamonds list...

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":2j75lotg said:
OT Tyler Johnstone, Oregon

Nice find! Best tape of anyone on your list so far, and against elite competition. Wonder where in the draft he is projected to go right now?