NFC West Training Camp

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":23tibtef said:
Popeyejones":23tibtef said:
ringless":23tibtef said:
Just to be clear are you guys saying the Hawks don't have Wilson for the next 5 years on average for less than 20M?

If you insist on pretending that an extension isn't actually an extension you can think about it that way, but it's still illogical.

The "next five years" erases that he was already under contract for a year. That's a sunk cost. His extension has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on if he would be under contract this year or not. Nothing happened yesterday to change his contract status for this year, and pretending otherwise is simply dishonest.

This reads like you are trying very hard to frame an argument that paints this as a bad deal for the Seahawks. That Wilson will get over 20 Mil a year now and we won't be able to balance his cap hit. To me I don't care about the framing, I look at the deal simply as how much do we have tied up in Wilson from now until his next contract and how does it truly affect our cap? Isn't that really the point? Trying to play with words to prop up his $$$ and justify the extension as the only important part of the deal is much more dishonest in my opinion.

By way of comparison, let's pretend I had 10K in my bank account, and I took a new job that paid me 50K. If my friend asked me how much my new job was paying me as a starting salary in the first year and I said 60K would I be being honest or I would I be fudging numbers? It's the same thing.

This is a horrible analogy. Sorry but it has zero comparison to an NFL contract or affect on the company. It simply looks like more words to frame your argument. I'm struggling to find a better analogy but that doesn't make yours valid. Sorry.

How about a friend ask's Wilson how much the Seahawks are paying him? He could answer it a couple different ways but if he said well I just signed an $87.9 million dollar extension, wouldn't his friend ask him if he is still making only $1.5 for this season? Wouldn't Wilson's most honest answer be about $89.4 mill over the life of my current contract? Which one of these answers do you see as the more honest answer?

FWIW when 9ers fans tried to delude themselves into believing that Kap's six year extension was actually a seven year deal (for the same purposes of trying to convince themselves the APY was lower for the new deal than it was) I said the exact same thing to them.

What does it matter what they convince themselves of? The cap hit is the cap hit. I don't see Seahawks fans trying to say Wilson's cap hit will only be $17.8 Mill APY which is what the dollars average out to over the life of his contract. There has been multiple explanations in here about what his actual cap numbers will be. No need to justify anything. Feel free to show me where a Seahawk fans is saying it is $17.8 mil APY because I haven't seen or heard that. Sorry if Niner fans couldn't grasp that

Just to step in here Rich, nobody was quoting the 17 per, but they did essentially call us idiots for saying the extension averages 20 mil per. It's not an insult. It's math.

I also don't think either of us have said anything remotely close to it's a bad deal. I think it's completely deserved. I think it's just pointing out that you no longer have the best bargain in the NFL...but that was NEVER going to last.

EDIT: I'm also reading now that there is no guaranteed money in the salary beyond the initial signing bonus and the rest is year to year...something the Niners did with Kap and was told be certain posters on this site the Seahawks would never do with Wilson. I thinks that VERY smart, so let's not get it twisted, but again, similarities to Kap contract.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Marvin49":4hrcz5vr said:
Wow. Some really sensitive posters in here.

I think you might be confusing sensitive posters with people who are actually looking at the real cap numbers and seeing some try to ignore those to inflate what is really happening. If a opposing fan were on your board trying to say Kaep is really making his full contract you would correct them about bonuses and clauses. If they tried to ignore his first year brings down his average you would explain to them the real numbers and how they break down. Don't pretend Seahawks fans are being sensitive and then try and frame a section of Wilson's contract to boost your argument and then get sensitive because you are being corrected.

To clarify, no Niner fan here is claiming the Seahawks are about to fall into the abyss. No Niner fan here is claiming It's a bad deal. No Niner fan here is claiming the Seahawks are foolish.

No but you are supporting the arguments made on the webzone by justifying the thought that only his extension counts. That implies that you feel the same as the webzone posters who are making the argument it's a bad deal, the Seahawks are foolish and are about to fall into the abyss.

It's simply MATH. Yes, the cap is rising every year by about 10 mil. Yes, Wilson's deal will end up looking like a bargain in a few years when Luck and other break the bank. Yes, these are all the same arguments I made when Kap signed and was laughed at.

To me it looks like a bargain right now. Looking at what other QB's will be getting paid through 2016 and 17 and Wilson is still making less APY than 10+ other QB's? How is that not a bargain. I fully expected his last year to be torn up and his contract to be $100 mil+ for 5 years and probably closer to $110 mil. So having him for $89.4 mil in that time frame seems pretty darn cheap. Especially when compared to other QB's around the league with much worse resume's.

All we are saying is the 4 years after this on AVERAGE over 20 mill. Yes, it's only ACTUALLY over the 20 mil mark in the final 2, but the average is over 20. It's not complicated and it's nothing to be offended by.

Uhg, this again. Why does it matter to you to break it down ignoring his cheapest year? Is he not playing that year? No one is arguing new money but you can't or at least shouldn't, ignore the whole contract and how it truly affects the team moving forward. Doing so is simply justifying your stance and IMO is being dishonest.

The Seahawks have a number of young, really good players and they all want to be paid. You simply can't pay them all. It's a simple concept and I'm not quite sure why peeps are even arguing the point. Do you think they'll be able to keep signing all their guys to huge contacts and they'll never get to a spot where they have to make tough decisions? Ok. No worries. We can agree to disagree.

BTW, I'm not talking about cap "trouble". I'm talking about simple realities of fielded a really, really good team. You've enjoyed a lot if success with players on rookie contracts. Wasn't gonna last forever.

Now queue the "Kap sucks, Niners don't have any good players to pay, etc" BS that have nothing to do with what I'm saying.

As for how it affects the cap just like every team in the league we know these contracts will have an affect. We know we won't be able to go into FA and sign guys like Jimmy Graham very often but we believe in our FO and coaching staff and believe the core players will benefit the development of new talent whether that be in the draft, UDFA signings, the CFL or cheap FA's.

We watched Pete and John come in here already and replace the entire roster in the process of building the most dominating team in football today. We have good reason to believe they will be able to now replace individual pieces as time goes by. We are not just assuming that every player we bring in will be a dominant force like they do on the webzone where they consistently claim Baalke is one of if not THE best GM's in football because of all the talent he has brought in to replace Willis, Cowboy, RayMac on and on, even though they have yet to see these guys play without the benefit of being on the field with those warriors they are suppose to replace.

We know, and if Schneider had stumbled into as dominant a team as Baalke had, I would be much more nervous. Like you always say. We will see and just like you we also will see but I have to say I like our chances of succeeding based on everything I have seen the last few years, much better than I like yours. Is that being a homer?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1uodr5np said:

To clarify, no Niner fan here is claiming the Seahawks are about to fall into the abyss. No Niner fan here is claiming It's a bad deal. No Niner fan here is claiming the Seahawks are foolish.

It's simply MATH. Yes, the cap is rising every year by about 10 mil. Yes, Wilson's deal will end up looking like a bargain in a few years when Luck and other break the bank. Yes, these are all the same arguments I made when Kap signed and was laughed at.

All we are saying is the 4 years after this on AVERAGE over 20 mill. Yes, it's only ACTUALLY over the 20 mil mark in the final 2, but the average is over 20. It's not complicated and it's nothing to be offended by.

The Seahawks have a number of young, really good players and they all want to be paid. You simply can't pay them all. It's a simple concept and I'm not quite sure why peeps are even arguing the point. Do you think they'll be able to keep signing all their guys to huge contacts and they'll never get to a spot where they have to make tough decisions? Ok. No worries. We can agree to disagree.

BTW, I'm not talking about cap "trouble". I'm talking about simple realities of fielded a really, really good team. You've enjoyed a lot if success with players on rookie contracts. Wasn't gonna last forever.

Now queue the "Kap sucks, Niners don't have any good players to pay, etc" BS that have nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Would you be so kind as to point out the really good players Seattle has that AREN'T already under contract for the next three years? I count one, Wagner. The rest of the players that are coming up are not really good and should be replaced rather easily with little, if any, drop off.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1dvhkvb8 said:
Marvin49":1dvhkvb8 said:

I think you might be confusing sensitive posters with people who are actually looking at the real cap numbers and seeing some try to ignore those to inflate what is really happening. If a opposing fan were on your board trying to say Kaep is really making his full contract you would correct them about bonuses and clauses. If they tried to ignore his first year brings down his average you would explain to them the real numbers and how they break down. Don't pretend Seahawks fans are being sensitive and then try and frame a section of Wilson's contract to boost your argument and then get sensitive because you are being corrected.

No but you are supporting the arguments made on the webzone by justifying the thought that only his extension counts. That implies that you feel the same as the webzone posters who are making the argument it's a bad deal, the Seahawks are foolish and are about to fall into the abyss.

To me it looks like a bargain right now. Looking at what other QB's will be getting paid through 2016 and 17 and Wilson is still making less APY than 10+ other QB's? How is that not a bargain. I fully expected his last year to be torn up and his contract to be $100 mil+ for 5 years and probably closer to $110 mil. So having him for $89.4 mil in that time frame seems pretty darn cheap. Especially when compared to other QB's around the league with much worse resume's.

Uhg, this again. Why does it matter to you to break it down ignoring his cheapest year? Is he not playing that year? No one is arguing new money but you can't or at least shouldn't, ignore the whole contract and how it truly affects the team moving forward. Doing so is simply justifying your stance and IMO is being dishonest.

As for how it affects the cap just like every team in the league we know these contracts will have an affect. We know we won't be able to go into FA and sign guys like Jimmy Graham very often but we believe in our FO and coaching staff and believe the core players will benefit the development of new talent whether that be in the draft, UDFA signings, the CFL or cheap FA's.

We watched Pete and John come in here already and replace the entire roster in the process of building the most dominating team in football today. We have good reason to believe they will be able to now replace individual pieces as time goes by. We are not just assuming that every player we bring in will be a dominant force like they do on the webzone where they consistently claim Baalke is one of if not THE best GM's in football because of all the talent he has brought in to replace Willis, Cowboy, RayMac on and on, even though they have yet to see these guys play without the benefit of being on the field with those warriors they are suppose to replace.

We know, and if Schneider had stumbled into as dominant a team as Baalke had, I would be much more nervous. Like you always say. We will see and just like you we also will see but I have to say I like our chances of succeeding based on everything I have seen the last few years, much better than I like yours. Is that being a homer?

Not at all. Schneider has been fantastic at identifying great players in low rounds and that is exactly what you need to do when the cap gets eaten up with high priced core players. That's been my point...not that the Seahawks will fade, but simply that it'll be harder now because the advantage if having all that talent on their rookie deals will be gone now. That's not to say you shouldn't be confident. If the Niners were in that spot of course is be more confident than I would be right now as a Niner fan. That's never been my point.

As for Baalke, I've maintained for quite some time now that I think he's been very good, but you are correct that he wasn't THE guy who selected all that talent. He was the right hand man to that guy and he's done very well supplementing that talent in both the draft and the bargain bin of free agency, but NOW is when all those picks get tested. Now we'll get an idea.

They have drafted players at just about every position where they lost someone vying for playing time, so this year will go a long way toward the way Baalke is viewed. Honestly, it's kinda exciting. No big expectations but big interest in seeing how those young guys work out. All the buzz is that it looks like a very talented roster, but difficult to lend any weight to that till I see them on the field.

I will end with this tho....in the instances so far where they have replaced a McCloughan guy with a Baalke guy, that Baslke guy has done pretty well (Kap for Alex, Reid for Goldson, Borland for Willis...before bothe retired, Culliver for Brown, etc). We'll see if that continues. They've also been adept at signing FAs cheaply who have played well (Whitner, Cox, Dorsey, Bethea again). We'll see. Should be interesting.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3t31eu3o said:
Marvin49":3t31eu3o said:

Would you be so kind as to point out the really good players Seattle has that AREN'T already under contract for the next three years? I count one, Wagner. The rest of the players that are coming up are not really good and should be replaced rather easily with little, if any, drop off.

Missing my point. I'm talking about depth and Beyond three years. Again tho, not predicting doom and gloom. Simply stating it gets harder now, which is a fairly obvious point so not sure what the pushback is.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":6cz9yld0 said:
rideaducati":6cz9yld0 said:
Marvin49":6cz9yld0 said:

Missing my point. I'm talking about depth and Beyond three years. Again tho, not predicting doom and gloom. Simply stating it gets harder now, which is a fairly obvious point so not sure what the pushback is.

Like I said before, the Seahawks have been using minimum contract and rookie guys as backups for several seasons. That is the reason they are able to bring in pretty good free agents or make trades for high priced guys. The coaching staff does a really good job of developing players and getting guys into game situations too. Every game I watch, there are guys in the game that you rarely see. They aren't in for long a lot of the time, but when they are needed, there doesn't seem to be much of a drop off.

Every team will look different in three years and there is nowhere for the Seahawks to go but down, but these next three years should be pretty good for Seattle. I consider it a good thing when your team has to make tough decisions. If the decisions aren't tough, there aren't many good players involved.

I love the ignorant talk about the past few drafts not being very good for Seattle. There are at least 5 players from each of the last three drafts STILL ON THE TEAM. Making this team isn't easy, so they must have earned their way onto it. Included in those drafts, there is a 7th round pick that started every game last year at guard and an undrafted guy that started several games as an injury replacement and might be a starter this year...and yet ANOTHER 7th round pick that was playing quite well, but went out with an injury. That is just three 7th round and undrafted guys...getting that much production from the 7th round alone makes the Seahawks drafting look pretty good without your niner colored glasses.

Niner fans "think" their past couple drafts have been good because almost every player drafted is still on the team, but there seems to be a rather large LACK of production from those drafts. The only reason half those draft picks are still on the team is because Baalke had to make up for his EPIC 2012 draft.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Rich,

Try reading the thread. In my first post on the first page I said I think it's a fair deal and on the main page the first post in the thread for the deal is me congratulating you guys.

TBF I didn't quote your post because I didn't bother reading it after the first sentence, but given that you haven't bothered to read what I've written either and started so wildly off base, I have to assume you're just spinning out from there. ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
OK time to talk Camp and not Contracts that have their own threads. Would hate to lock this up because I think it's a cool idea.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Allow me to help with altering this thread back to where it needs to be, NFCW TC's.

I know the biggest story out of STL is Todd Gurley is practicing. He's doing individual drills and participating in walk throughs. Apparently our OL is getting dominated by the DL, too. I'd be worried if it wasn't. Foles is looking good early. Chris Long out with back tightness. The OL is suspect with all the young players. 4 out of five of the potential starters have one year or less experience. All of them can run block really well besides the C's, though. It's clear what the Rams wanna do. Second round pick out of Wisconsin, Rob Havenstein, is doing really well early. Third round OG/T Jamon Brown is still getting his feet wet. That's all I got for now.

I've heard next to nothing on other camps. We have multiple NFCW fans from every NFCW team here, I believe. I'd like to know what you guys are hearing. Pretty quiet early which I think is good. That means teams are staying healthy.

This thread was a great idea if we can stay on topic lol.

chris98251

Reaction score
Early camp, we see a lot of players in rotations to see how they look there and what their technique is, this is coaching time for all that, I think next week is when we really start to see the shake out of the starter combinations more as the teams get ready for under fire testing in the first pre season game for everyone. That's when teams feature players in places they either want to see them succeed at or if they have the talent to play in the NFL at all.

Where we as fans adopt our next can't miss player only to see them cut many times based on one pre season performance.

Like the Rams the Seahawks have at least three OL places they need to settle on, rookies and now second year players that need to show they can get the job done, players swapping sides and or positions etc.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Anyways to get back on topic of Training camp. Today was the Cardinals first day of practice.

Keep in mind, Training camp always has a positive spin to it!

Fitz made a diving goal line catch today. This is the best condition this team has come into camp in, not a single player looked like there were ever worn out or going to give up on the drills. The big guys were even moving fast. Palmer when practicing in San Diego, and today apparently has a lot more velocity on his throws as noted by receivers. He think he may be stronger than he's ever been in the fact that he has been treating his whole body like it was going through a rehab.

@Cardschatter 2h2 hours ago
#AzCardinals 1st unit D: Campbell, Peters, Rucker. Okafor, Weatherspoon, Minter, Alexander. Peterson, Powers, Bucannon, Johnson. #CardsCamp

‏@Cardschatter 5h5 hours ago
Palmer much healthier, not only with the knee but his right shoulder. Did shoulder rehab like he had had surgery (he didn't). Arm stronger.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Well since we didn't get any 49er updates today I figured I would step in and give us this golden nugget from SF.

"Turf Troubles Another big story that is gaining a lot of traction was the poor condition of the field as practice went on. Numerous beat writers pointed out the issue, which the 49ers had to deal with last season. The team is scheduled to have their first eight practices at Levi's Stadium. Head coach Jim Tomsula said after tonight's practice that he expects to practice at Levi's Stadium again tomorrow, but may move if the sod on the field is not safe. - See more at: http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/83655- ... 8NHiP.dpuf

In addition, Dockett who was cleared to practice late last week was held out of practice.. I just don't see how he is going to end up being an effective replacement for Cowboy. I also wonder if he was held out because the Sod fell apart before all the players even got on the field for practice?

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
‏@Cardschatter 7h7 hours ago
LB Sean Weatherspoon hadn't taken a rep in a while and now leaves practice early. Coming off Achilles injury but missed no time in OTAs.

Apparently we will have an update tomorrow from Arians however it appears to be a hamstring injury. As long as he can get that healed up and we all know how long those can linger things will be okay. But at this point in the year last year we had already lost Dockett and Washington for the year. So I'm truly scared about all injuries at this point. Especially to a player who is suppose to be a key cog in the D. Here is to a speedy recovery and a hopefully small hamstring issue.

Here is just a short 1 minute video from todays camp. Peterson gets burned by John Brown but who doesnt

http://www.azcardinals.com/videos/video ... 54841cff68

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
rideaducati":28cxkh1z said:
Marvin49":28cxkh1z said:
rideaducati":28cxkh1z said:
Marvin49":28cxkh1z said:

Like I said before, the Seahawks have been using minimum contract and rookie guys as backups for several seasons. That is the reason they are able to bring in pretty good free agents or make trades for high priced guys. The coaching staff does a really good job of developing players and getting guys into game situations too. Every game I watch, there are guys in the game that you rarely see. They aren't in for long a lot of the time, but when they are needed, there doesn't seem to be much of a drop off.

Every team will look different in three years and there is nowhere for the Seahawks to go but down, but these next three years should be pretty good for Seattle. I consider it a good thing when your team has to make tough decisions. If the decisions aren't tough, there aren't many good players involved.

I love the ignorant talk about the past few drafts not being very good for Seattle. There are at least 5 players from each of the last three drafts STILL ON THE TEAM. Making this team isn't easy, so they must have earned their way onto it. Included in those drafts, there is a 7th round pick that started every game last year at guard and an undrafted guy that started several games as an injury replacement and might be a starter this year...and yet ANOTHER 7th round pick that was playing quite well, but went out with an injury. That is just three 7th round and undrafted guys...getting that much production from the 7th round alone makes the Seahawks drafting look pretty good without your niner colored glasses.

Niner fans "think" their past couple drafts have been good because almost every player drafted is still on the team, but there seems to be a rather large LACK of production from those drafts. The only reason half those draft picks are still on the team is because Baalke had to make up for his EPIC 2012 draft.
Those tears bitter they are. Dude, they're been saying the same about New England for 15 years.. It seems both teams have elite quarterbacks that flat out win....hmm. Don't be mad, because your complexion doesn't handle crying that well.

chris98251

Reaction score
So should we try again? If you all want to argue contract do it in another thread, not this one!

This is training camp and pre season news.

Rex

Reaction score
ringless":1kiaryoi said:
Well since we didn't get any 49er updates today I figured I would step in and give us this golden nugget from SF.

"Turf Troubles Another big story that is gaining a lot of traction was the poor condition of the field as practice went on. Numerous beat writers pointed out the issue, which the 49ers had to deal with last season. The team is scheduled to have their first eight practices at Levi's Stadium. Head coach Jim Tomsula said after tonight's practice that he expects to practice at Levi's Stadium again tomorrow, but may move if the sod on the field is not safe. - See more at: http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/83655- ... 8NHiP.dpuf

In addition, Dockett who was cleared to practice late last week was held out of practice.. I just don't see how he is going to end up being an effective replacement for Cowboy. I also wonder if he was held out because the Sod fell apart before all the players even got on the field for practice?

How difficult is it to sod a field? It seems endemic for that stadium.

Latest posts