O-line

Status
Not open for further replies.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Scorpion05":itpkq3w4 said:
I would say they had a solid game. However, not consistent enough for the offense to get into a rhythm. Russell had a clean pocket in moments but an O-line needs to have more consistency to build offensive chemistry and rhythm
This here is what is so frustrating about the heavy tendency to try for the big play on so many of the PA plays (at least when it's beyond the flat). Move the freakin chains and get more plays. That's really a weakness in my eyes of DVOA; it's a per-play efficiency when a per-possession would probably be more telling. Big plays are nice, but when you depend on them they come less reliably. That's how I look at consistency, because it's the reliability that matters.

Jville

Reaction score
It wasn't that many weeks ago when Andrew Whitworth was declared by some as "the" answer for left tackle. And yet even brand named players are beaten and made to look silly at times ......................

[tweet]https://twitter.com/HawksChronicle/status/917462986905677824[/tweet]

[youtube]9pfOITo3U3Y[/youtube]

I'm ok with pressing on with developing what we have.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":2hxstmr1 said:
It wasn't that many weeks ago when Andrew Whitworth was declared by some as "the" answer for left tackle. And yet even brand named players are beaten and made to look silly at times ......................

Whitworth gives up 1 sack to Clark and you are going to "dismiss" his obvious value to his team because of it? Damn, that is a reach of epic proportion there. Even Walter Jones gave up an average 2 sacks a season. Whitworth has given up 2 sacks this season (and zero holding penalties) and ZERO all of last season with a career average of 3.5 per season. :roll:

Jville

Reaction score
Seymour":u3fdpe8v said:
Jville":u3fdpe8v said:

Whitworth gives up 1 sack to Clark and you are going to "dismiss" his obvious value to his team because of it? Damn, that is a reach of epic proportion there. Even Walter Jones gave up an average 2 sacks a season. Whitworth has given up 2 sacks this season (and zero holding penalties) and ZERO all of last season with a career average of 3.5 per season. :roll:

So you agree that even the best get beat from time to time and that NFL offensive lineman can be made to look silly with selective video clips. :lol: That is the point.

It's a process and I'm ok with pressing on with developing what we have.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":2w90uq7p said:
Seymour":2w90uq7p said:
Jville":2w90uq7p said:

So you agree that even the best get beat from time to time and that NFL offensive lineman can be made to look silly with selective video clips. :lol: That is the point.

If that was the point then somehow I missed that it was intentional.

Yes, of course I agree that one small snapshot (pic or video) does not stand on it's own without other data to back it up.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Jville":2jvr4n88 said:
Seymour":2jvr4n88 said:
Jville":2jvr4n88 said:

I second that. They are showing weekly improvement, and I expect to see continued improvement as a unit as they gain experience playing together and in the system. The younger less experienced guys are also likely to improve their technique with more reps.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Jville":iogp6hyw said:

Are you seriously comparing Whitworth with our line? He is the answer and I would be attempting backflips if he was a part of this team. You're right every player can look bad at times on film and get beat but its a huge stretch to say that applies to our line.

I have zero confidence in our line and they've been absolutely terrible for years now. I'll hold out hope that they improve but not optimistic. I'll be rooting they prove me wrong.

Jville

Reaction score
Andrew Whitworth has started 169 games but is in the twilight of his career at 35 years old and @ $9,166,666

Rees Odhiambo has started only 5 games and is in the beginning of his career at 10 years younger @ $714,355

So no ........ of course they are not comparable. And, no one has made such a claim.

The new Rams staff needed to outbid others to fill their patch work needs.

The Seahawk staff continues to churn it's roster.

Seattle has another 11 games for their young offense to grow and develop one day at a time.

I feel good about that. :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":1spq48h9 said:
Andrew Whitworth has started 169 games but is in the twilight of his career at 35 years old and @ $9,166,666

Rees Odhiambo has started only 5 games and is in the beginning of his career at 10 years younger @ $714,355

So no ........ of course they are not comparable. And, no one has made such a claim.

Seattle has another 11 games for their young offense to grow and develop one day at a time.

Then we start all over again next year .

sdog1981

Reaction score
chris98251":td2bhim5 said:
Jville":td2bhim5 said:

Then we start all over again next year .

Yeah that was not the plan week one of the season 4/5th of the starting Oline was on the team last season the line was always supposed to be filled with drafted talent. The team has failed at developing and keeping that talent.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
This is about game 40 or so and counting, so about 51 should do it?

AgentDib

Reaction score
sdog1981":1ogmu890 said:
The team has failed at developing and keeping that talent.
Developing talent well has worked against our likelihood of keeping it. Carpenter got a big payday from the Jets, Okung is one of the best paid tackles in the league, and JR Sweezy is the best developmental OL story in the league right now as a #225 selection DL project who got a $22m contract from the Bucs. Development has been a strength for us but it takes time because we prioritize raw potential (ie. Nowak over Lewis).

Each our decisions to let a player walk has made sense on it's own, due to FA prices, compensatory picks, and injury histories. The issue has been the overall effect of too much inexperience at once and our failure to put enough emphasis on smoothing out the transition.

Bobblehead":1ogmu890 said:
would you not rather have a one year aging all pro LT that can keep your offense on the field
Consider how different your tune would be if Fant was healthy and Whitworth had been injured for the year. There's a strong element of 20/20 hindsight present as very few people would have given Whitworth, a 35 year old player who's had a few injuries over the years, a better chance of remaining healthy than Fant, a kid who had been very healthy up until he wasn't.

Jville

Reaction score
I would add that .........

It was 2016 when it was announce, in no uncertain terms, that they were starting all over from scratch with building an offensive line. Prior to opening day, Tom Cable, Darrell Bevell, Pete Carroll and John Schneider all acknowledged that they were starting all over with the offensive line. So, opening day 2016 was the beginning of building this next generation offensive line.

This year, Justin Britt became the first announced contract extension for this next generation line.

It is what it is. Enjoy the growth and development of this next generation line.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
AgentDib":a7bhircy said:
sdog1981":a7bhircy said:
The team has failed at developing and keeping that talent.
Developing talent well has worked against our likelihood of keeping it. Carpenter got a big payday from the Jets, Okung is one of the best paid tackles in the league, and JR Sweezy is the best developmental OL story in the league right now as a #225 selection DL project who got a $22m contract from the Bucs. Development has been a strength for us but it takes time because we prioritize raw potential (ie. Nowak over Lewis).

Each our decisions to let a player walk has made sense on it's own, due to FA prices, compensatory picks, and injury histories. The issue has been the overall effect of too much inexperience at once and our failure to put enough emphasis on smoothing out the transition.

Bobblehead":a7bhircy said:
would you not rather have a one year aging all pro LT that can keep your offense on the field
Consider how different your tune would be if Fant was healthy and Whitworth had been injured for the year. There's a strong element of 20/20 hindsight present as very few people would have given Whitworth, a 35 year old player who's had a few injuries over the years, a better chance of remaining healthy than Fant, a kid who had been very healthy up until he wasn't.

From what I understand, the LT is what the 2nd most important position in the NFL and you're going to pin all your hopes on a 2nd year player.. and seriously, a 2nd year football player. Seems to me, if you are, then your gasping for breath.

Here's a thing, lets say the Hawks actually won his services, guess what, Fant is still there.. and if he turned out as good as we all seem to think he is and Whitworth stays healthy, there is no reason why he couldn't be an outstanding RT.

Fact is.. Fant is injured for the year, and Whitworth is still playing well. I"ve never been on this merry go round OL.. I have always thought they should spend the money.. sacrifice what ever but get a good lineman... it was never a 20/20 thingy.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":14gqtvbw said:

It was 2016 when it was announce, in no uncertain terms, that they were starting all over from scratch with building an offensive line. Prior to opening day, Tom Cable, Darrell Bevell, Pete Carroll and John Schneider all acknowledged that they were starting all over with the offensive line. So, opening day 2016 was the beginning of building this next generation offensive line.

This year, Justin Britt became the first announced contract extension for this next generation line.

It is what it is. Enjoy the growth and development of this next generation line.

When did they say that? I saw media members say that I did not see any member of the Seahawks say anything close to that.

Jville

Reaction score
sdog1981":1pnw0pvc said:
Jville":1pnw0pvc said:

When did they say that? I saw media members say that I did not see any member of the Seahawks say anything close to that.

In 2016 they added 3 drafted linemen plus a priority rookie free agent to the roster. In so doing, they assumed the weight of a lot of inexperience after losses of experience. Statements that they were starting over began sometime after that draft and carried thru the preseason. You'll find their assessments and explanations in archive press conferences and radio interviews of that time period. For me, the Tom Cable and John Schneider interviews on the subject were particularly memorable.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":2t0h4d7i said:
In 2016 they added 3 drafted linemen plus a priority rookie free agent to the roster. In so doing, they assumed the weight of a lot of inexperience after losses of experience. Statements that they were starting over began sometime after that draft and carried thru the preseason. You'll find their assessments and explanations in archive press conferences and radio interviews of that time period. For me, the Tom Cable and John Schneider interviews on the subject were particularly memorable.

So the 10 linemen draft from 2011-2015 was just for fun? You have failed to produce a statement from any Seahawks staff member that they where starting over.

Jville

Reaction score
sdog1981":11ptefac said:
Jville":11ptefac said:

So the 10 linemen draft from 2011-2015 was just for fun? You have failed to produce a statement from any Seahawks staff member that they where starting over.

Good Grief,

Neither I nor anyone else are under any obligation to do your bidding. Not now ..... not ever. If your actually interested in what Cable and Bevell and Pete and John had to say on the subject, then you can go back and do your own damn search of the archives. It's not that difficult.

chris98251

Reaction score
10 draft choices, numerous free agents, a few trades and some UDFA in a 4 year span, supposedly coached by one of the best O line coaches in the league and we still put 31st best O line in the league on the field last year and rival that rating now.

Players learning new positions, no continuity, little to no positive results to carry over to the next year due to a constant flux of players and position shifts.

Sounds like Ground Hog Day, we don't learn from mistakes and repeat the same ones time and time again.

OP
OP
Year of The Hawk

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":me512r76 said:
10 draft choices, numerous free agents, a few trades and some UDFA in a 4 year span, supposedly coached by one of the best O line coaches in the league and we still put 31st best O line in the league on the field last year and rival that rating now.

Players learning new positions, no continuity, little to no positive results to carry over to the next year due to a constant flux of players and position shifts.

Sounds like Ground Hog Day, we don't learn from mistakes and repeat the same ones time and time again.

There is more to the story than that. We are always dealing with injuries and a salary cap. I feel homegrown talent is better for our team in particular than a bunch of high draft picks and overpaying in the open market. Yes the o-line sucked last year. Its not like they did not notice and did nothing about it. I am seeing slow but steady improvement for these guys and am hopeful they can become at least league average by years end. Throwing money at a problem does not always fix things. I know we want it all but no team is built to perfection. There is always a week spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.