Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1kqott2h said:
FlyingGreg":1kqott2h said:
Line was good today.

The backs were not.

to be clear..... you are blaming the backs for the free running pass rushers and also for the failure to open running lanes?

Watch the game again. There were cutback lanes open. Carson or even Prosise likely would have had multiple 15-20 yard gainers.

Easy to lazily blame the line for every offensive ill. There is more to it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3pyxz2xu said:
I just don't understand, Can a LT really have the impact to make a poor OL, that good all by himself?

Rams had a very crappy OL, but today, they looked very good... and just because they got a FA LT.

Why wouldn't the Hawks do everything they could to secure a workable LT? Just amazing they think a work around is ok.

It was actually a FA LT and Center. This allowed them to move some guys around that were playing out of position. I'm more dismayed that they shifted their OL so much and then came out looking so polished. We can never do that.

Oh, and ask the Panthers how being weak at Tackle can affect them. In that Superbowl loss to the Broncs, they had a very good interior OL but were below average at both Tackle positions. Denver abused them for it.

tersal

Reaction score
Bobblehead":9rlrkbwm said:
ivotuk":9rlrkbwm said:
Bobblehead":9rlrkbwm said:
I just don't understand, Can a LT really have the impact to make a poor OL, that good all by himself?

Rams had a very crappy OL, but today, they looked very good... and just because they got a FA LT.

Why wouldn't the Hawks do everything they could to secure a workable LT? Just amazing they think a work around is ok.

They had a decent o line. They got a high price veteran that we couldn't afford. It's not that easy.

"Why can't we do what that other team is doing?" Is never a good philosophy.

We were looking to the future with the chance of Fant becoming an excellent YOUNG Left Tackle. Which is much better than signing an older, expensive free agent

This team has had so much success because their philosophy is to build from within, and stay young.

Whereas Tim Ruskell signed every high priced free agent he could.

The trouble with looking towards the future is that, the future is now. We've been working with this line for the past 4 years with nothing to show for it.. and now, Fant is gone and will only be a hopeful for the future. We seem to work the CAP when we want something, Richards comes to mind, and really, I would rather have a Good LT that would solidify our OL.

BTW a young Left Tackle, that cannot tackle or is injured is not better than an aging expensive FA, who happened to be all-pro.
They also got a new center on many teams the center sets the Offensive line. Also the team had faith in Fant and also did not have the cap space for Whitworth. Finally injuries are injuries any player a team is counting on can get a season ending injury. Seea JJ Watt it happens.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
tersal":1l50dz9z said:
Bobblehead":1l50dz9z said:
ivotuk":1l50dz9z said:
Bobblehead":1l50dz9z said:

They had a decent o line. They got a high price veteran that we couldn't afford. It's not that easy.

"Why can't we do what that other team is doing?" Is never a good philosophy.

We were looking to the future with the chance of Fant becoming an excellent YOUNG Left Tackle. Which is much better than signing an older, expensive free agent

This team has had so much success because their philosophy is to build from within, and stay young.

Whereas Tim Ruskell signed every high priced free agent he could.

The trouble with looking towards the future is that, the future is now. We've been working with this line for the past 4 years with nothing to show for it.. and now, Fant is gone and will only be a hopeful for the future. We seem to work the CAP when we want something, Richards comes to mind, and really, I would rather have a Good LT that would solidify our OL.

BTW a young Left Tackle, that cannot tackle or is injured is not better than an aging expensive FA, who happened to be all-pro.
They also got a new center on many teams the center sets the Offensive line. Also the team had faith in Fant and also did not have the cap space for Whitworth. Finally injuries are injuries any player a team is counting on can get a season ending injury. Seea JJ Watt it happens.

We have a workable center.
The team has faith in their OL every new year, which doesn't mean crap if it never works out. Of course they had faith in Fant, he's all they had and are you not going to have faith in him? How can you expect Fant to perform if the team comes out and says they have no faith in him.

Let me ask you this, for all the glory, the expensive, one year rental player has done for our D, would you not rather have a one year aging all pro LT that can keep your offense on the field with a running game and add to the precious time that Wilson can garner because of it? Wouldn't you rather see us sustain Drives through out the game, that doesn't end in .. nothing?

Lets face it, we won.. but really, the Rams lost it with some stupid bone head plays expected of a young first year team(coaching wise). The Seahawks have been contenders for the past 5 years and everygame is a "which Seahawk team will play today" game. We should be destroying teams, yet every game, every game is a "can the d hold on" affair. Our Defense is good enough to hold on with out SHeldon, our Offense is not good enough to drive the field on a flat tire

Followthelegion

Reaction score
nanomoz":3mftgumc said:
Ifedi and Odihambo both had a number of "WTF were you thinking" moments. The Quinn sack of Wilson where Quinn was actually running 145 mph at the point he hit Russ stands out among them. Russ is lucky he didn't shit out some vital organs.

:lol: :lol:

Thank you for this - almost spat my delicious cup of tea I was drinking out onto the screen [yes I'm a Brit].

That hit was utterly brutal, Still amazed Russ got up unscathed, the involved players seemed not to move for a few secs after the hit on the ground which made me anxious for a few secs

kidhawk

Reaction score
I've been saying this every week, I think they have improved a little each week. To the eye, live, they looked like they may have taken a step back this week, but they were playing a more talented Defensive front this week.

They definitely have a ways to go, but I see some improvement every week. Do I wish it was faster? Yeah, no doubt, but improvement week in and week out is really all we can expect realistically.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3roj5p49 said:

Who do you want gone so that we can sign said LT?

Because you do have to get rid of someone, and I don't see anyone on this team who isn't playing vital roles right now. That includes Jimmy Graham, Kam Chancellor, and Sheldon Richardson.

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jfg1wna said:
Bobblehead":1jfg1wna said:

Because you do have to get rid of someone, and I don't see anyone on this team who isn't playing vital roles right now. That includes Jimmy Graham, Kam Chancellor, and Sheldon Richardson.

Many ways to make that happen. Joeckel and Lane would get us the $11M for Whitworth. Do that and draft an actual Starting guard.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1grahjs9 said:
Bobblehead":1grahjs9 said:

I will say, I used to be on the Jimmy Band wagon, but, if you don't use something, what good is it?
Probably the wisdom is that teams target him defensively, but on the other hand, say we had someone under the radar, (Willson?) that teams don't target and I bet, we can get as much productivity out of him than we and how we utilize Graham.

Kam.. Kam's been productive and has been instrumental to our D.

Sheldon..he had that int, anything else? That's not fair, I"m sure what he brings is a lot of unseen intangibles to the line.
However, I would say, before we had him, we all probably thought our D was good enough. As it is right now, our D has got to be good for a long time on the field, a long long time on the field. Now, would our Defense be more effective if they were on the field a lot less? Would our offense be more effective on the field a lot more? Yes to all, and not only that, by keeping our offense on the field, as we have witnessed in 14, 15, it just wares out the opponents defense. Do you remember those pics of opponents d all standing around, hunched over, exhausted? I do, why, cause our damn offense was on the field all the time, running them bastards into the ground setting up easy long passes, and long runs.

So yes, get rid of who you want.. anyone not named Kam, Sherman, Thomas or Wagner.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3ucwwt81 said:
MontanaHawk05":3ucwwt81 said:
Bobblehead":3ucwwt81 said:

I will say, I used to be on the Jimmy Band wagon, but, if you don't use something, what good is it?
Probably the wisdom is that teams target him defensively, but on the other hand, say we had someone under the radar, (Willson?) that teams don't target and I bet, we can get as much productivity out of him than we and how we utilize Graham.

Kam.. Kam's been productive and has been instrumental to our D.

Sheldon..he had that int, anything else? That's not fair, I"m sure what he brings is a lot of unseen intangibles to the line.
However, I would say, before we had him, we all probably thought our D was good enough. As it is right now, our D has got to be good for a long time on the field, a long long time on the field. Now, would our Defense be more effective if they were on the field a lot less? Would our offense be more effective on the field a lot more? Yes to all, and not only that, by keeping our offense on the field, as we have witnessed in 14, 15, it just wares out the opponents defense. Do you remember those pics of opponents d all standing around, hunched over, exhausted? I do, why, cause our damn offense was on the field all the time, running them bastards into the ground setting up easy long passes, and long runs.

So yes, get rid of who you want.. anyone not named Kam, Sherman, Thomas or Wagner.

We're 3-2 with a hard road win over the Rams. We haven't fallen short of ten wins in a single season since Russ arrived. As irritated as I am by the product on the field, it isn't translating into unsuccessful seasons yet. There isn't enough evidence on the scoreboard to convince Pete and John to change their philosophy at all yet, much less to jettison Pro Bowl players for it.

I think you're like a lot of other frustrated fans - intentionally seeking out weaknesses and low player valuations in an attempt to find something, ANYTHING, to trade for an offensive lineman. Problem is, if you're looking for something hard enough, you'll usually find it - whether it's there or not. There are numerous players on the defense (Clark, Wright, Richardson - our defense was NOT good on 3rd down without him last year, everyone was complaining about it and the lack of turnovers) that we'd be fools to get rid of right now, and cutting Graham only leaves us without enough tall targets. Motivating defenses to double Luke Willson isn't a good idea.

There isn't a single move I've seen mentioned that doesn't bear some element of robbing Peter to pay Paul. TJ Lang would have been nice, but that money went to Richardson, and we don't win the Rams game without him.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Pete is about defense first. And it won us a Superbowl and for us to a second straight one. However, our offense is always gonna fall short due to paying everyone on the defensive side.

The O line has slightly improved but we have no run game...again. The Rams were 31st against the run and we managed like 2.0ypc. No push, no holes.

netskier

Reaction score
Seymour":2mzbt3u3 said:
They looked better than they did last year against that D front. I'll call it progress with a ways to go to "get there".

I agree that they looked better, but was it the same D front? Didn't Wade Phillips come in this year and install a 3-4 front? So, if I remember that correctly, it may be the same players, but playing in a different defensive scheme, and they may have fallen off in effectiveness due to having to learn to play together in a different scheme. I am just wondering here.

Those players are good, and Wade Phillips is good, so we will have to watch this carefully going forward.

netskier

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1vcsmmtp said:
The Seahawk offensive line played better today. The Rams have changed their defense a bit. It think it's hurting Aaron Donald. He's not the monster in this defense (3-4 formation) that he was in the 4-3.

I hope this teaches me to read the entire thread before responding to a post. I apologize.

toffee

Reaction score
progress are seldom linear, at current pace, we may not see threads about OL in couple of months. If our tackles improves to league average, our whole line could be somewhat above average. The rest .... will be on Mr. Wilson.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
netskier":299nuhmd said:
hawkfan68":299nuhmd said:
The Seahawk offensive line played better today. The Rams have changed their defense a bit. It think it's hurting Aaron Donald. He's not the monster in this defense (3-4 formation) that he was in the 4-3.

I hope this teaches me to read the entire thread before responding to a post. I apologize.

No need to apologize. No harm done. :2thumbs:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
nanomoz":u1vhrwks said:
Joeckel looked good most of the game. Ditto Britt. Aboushi was abused by Donald a few times, but who isn't? He also moved to the second level way too soon a few times. That's correctable.

Ifedi and Odihambo both had a number of "WTF were you thinking" moments. The Quinn sack of Wilson where Quinn was actually running 145 mph at the point he hit Russ stands out among them. Russ is lucky he didn't shit out some vital organs.
After that play I felt like shouting "Oh-Lay" each time the ball was hiked. To encourage our Oline of course.

Jville

Reaction score
Remember when we had posters lusting over the Cowboy's offensive line?
And how that lusting went on and on and on?
Today, I hear hardly a peep.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JamesDKoh/status/917689104577343489[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
What is the point posting that? Has nothing to do with the Seahawks. Just because they were elite, doesn't mean it's automatic every year. Same could be said about our defense at times too.

Jville

Reaction score
Gee Wiz, a lot of us remember the why can't we be more like Dallas posts. Its only been a couple weeks since the drum beat and lusting subsided and faded from offensive line topics. It's a humorous turn of events.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jville":278s42y8 said:
Gee Wiz, a lot of us remember the why can't we be more like Dallas posts. Its only been a couple weeks since the drum beat and lusting subsided and faded from offensive line topics. It's a humorous turn of events.

Well I haven't seen much praise for them this year myself, but in reality I sure as hell would take that oline over ours. They protect the QB a hell of alot better for damn sure.

Oline grades through week 5. Seattle is moving up in the world to #27 overall.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-average-grade-week-5

14. Dallas Cowboys
Average offensive lineman grade: 64.6

Even though Dallas has been among the best offensive lines in recent years, they have yet to reach that level this season and it is largely due to the play of the new pieces on that line. Left guard Jonathan Cooper and right tackle La’el Collins currently rank 62nd and 56th, respectively, at their positions in PFF grades, respectively. Nevertheless, single games can heavily influence rankings this early in the season and the Cowboys offensive line had one of its worst games in recent memory against Denver in Week 2 when it allowed 23 total pressures – the most by any offensive line that week – on 55 passing plays and had the third-worst pass-blocking efficiency rating that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.