Panthers cut "Better than Geno" Baker Mayfield (Rams claim)

toffee

Reaction score
Agree but speak for yourself! I can think of a team or two that would have been drastically better with Baker under center.

Broncos come to mind :ROFLMAO:
Broncos need a quality backup that is ready to step in, but not sure Baker is that guy.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
There are two potential reasons for signing Mayfield, either for this season or for long term.
From what little I have seen Purdy could be better than Mayfield so no guarantee the 49ers will take hime but with they get the chance?
Two other teams planning for the play-offs may regard Mayfield as an upgrade, both have priority ove the 49ers so if the Commanders or Jets decide Mayfield will help them for the final push the 49ers can do nothing about it.
The Texans and Colts could decide Mayfield is their best option for 2023 though particularly with the Texans they will probably look to the draft.
The media are looking at the Rams, but the Rams are out of the play-offs so it would be mostly to stop the 9ers getting him.

Threedee

Reaction score
I thought Mayfield would be above average enough to help move Cleveland closer toward its goal of taking over the AFC North. I didn't expect him to be an outright bust.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Do we have priority over 9ers? Could we sign him just so the 9ers don’t get him? How much would it cost? It is only to screw over the 9ers and not for his talent whatsoever.

schkoot

Reaction score
Pete and John.
Ehh, I can see what you're getting at, but I think not making a move for him had more to do with PC knowing what he had with Geno vs not being able to get something good out of mayfield.

Assume Geno retired or something—I think PC could maximize BM's potential.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ehh, I can see what you're getting at, but I think not making a move for him had more to do with PC knowing what he had with Geno vs not being able to get something good out of mayfield.

Assume Geno retired or something—I think PC could maximize BM's potential.
Like he did with Russ?

Torc

Reaction score
Do we have priority over 9ers? Could we sign him just so the 9ers don’t get him? How much would it cost? It is only to screw over the 9ers and not for his talent whatsoever.

from the Sporting News:
Mayfield's contract is not as expensive as many realize. The veteran quarterback is making $15,358,000 for the season, per OverTheCap.com, but he is owed just $4,858,000 from the Panthers for the 2022 season. The Browns are eating $10.5 million in dead money — guaranteed salary paid to players no longer on a team's roster — after trading Mayfield to the Panthers.

Mayfield is in the fifth and final year of his rookie contract, and the entirety of the 2022 salary is guaranteed. The Panthers will pay it unless Mayfield lands with another team.

If a team claims Mayfield off waivers, they would take on the rest of his salary for this season. That would amount to $1,349,444, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

I doubt many teams will take him at the cost. We just claimed Jonathan Abram, so I think we drop to the bottom of the waiver list? I'm not 100% sure how that works. If the Broncos chose to claim him, they'd have a high priority because of their record. I doubt that'll happen but the notion is amusing. I could see the 49ers grabbing him, or trying to sign him if he clears waivers. Frankly I'd rather they get him, and the Seahawks not try. I'd LOVE to play a mayfield led 49ers team. :p

Maulbert

Reaction score
from the Sporting News:

I doubt many teams will take him at the cost. We just claimed Jonathan Abram, so I think we drop to the bottom of the waiver list? I'm not 100% sure how that works. If the Broncos chose to claim him, they'd have a high priority because of their record. I doubt that'll happen but the notion is amusing. I could see the 49ers grabbing him, or trying to sign him if he clears waivers. Frankly I'd rather they get him, and the Seahawks not try. I'd LOVE to play a mayfield led 49ers team. :p
As far as I know, the waiver list isn't a case where you drop to the bottom after you claim a player. It is always in the order of worst record to best. The team that claims him highest from that order gets him, much like the supplemental draft.

5thgen

Reaction score
Baker going to the nines will give us trouble. It won't be an easy win.

Mizak

Reaction score
9ers don’t even want his ass.

OBJ’s dad ended his career when he pulled that stunt. Pretty sure OBJ approved and condoned it 10000%.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
That thread reads like a .net guide on which posters do and do not understand football, life, the universe, and everything. Here are some highlights for those who don't want to revisit the entire thread.

The bad:

seabowl – “The question is would the Hawks win more games with Mayfield or Geno? We ALL know the answer to this.”

RiverDog – “There is no doubt that both Mayfield and Garoppolo are better quarterbacks than anyone we have on our roster”

JayhawkMike – “Baker will win us more games than Geno or Lock so I want Baker.”

PNW25 – “I'm worried Pete thinks his system is good enough that he can win with Geno/Lock. I hope that's not what he's thinking.”

SeaChase – “Baker for a 5th rounder is a bargain”

And the king of .net juvenile takes with the ugly:
SoulfishHawk
  • “He said Baker is trash. I'm saying as opposed to these 2 guys? Come on, Baker is a MUCH better QB than both of those guys. If you honestly think the guy is trash, you clearly don't understand football.”
  • “But he's not TRASH. That's just a plain odd take on the guy. This team would be better with him imo. They had their chance to get him, and they didn't. It happens.”
  • “Because he's not trash. And he's absolutely better than Geno or Lock.”
  • “Yep, team would have been better with him. Only point I've been trying to make. And with these offensive weapons? He absolutely would have had a good year under center.”
  • “Winning more is what matters. We would have with him imo.”
The good:
And for the win with possibly the best take of the year (this was made before the season started):
CPHawk – “Denver is in finish 4th in their own conference mode. Not win now.”

Honorable mentions:
KinesProf – “Imagine thinking that an NFL football team is purposefully tanking football games because they don't have *checks notes* ... Baker Mayfield (lol) at Quarterback.”
NY Hawk – “Not getting Baker means that he's trash. Period.”