Panthers cut "Better than Geno" Baker Mayfield (Rams claim)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Solid, yep, I missed that one by a long shot. Congrats. But coming from you, that's rich. Feel free to piss off Sun. Sincerely.
But I'll give you credit, that was a good pull. Glad I was way off on that one. People make predictions, and often they are wrong. BFD, I find it amusing. It's a message board. But I'm glad you're thinking about me.

Last edited:

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
There is a world of difference between making predictions and stating your opinions (wrong opinions) in a definitive manner as though your opinion is a fact.
Those on .net who state their opinions as fact and then deride those who disagree are the posters who should piss off.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
There is a world of difference between making predictions and stating your opinions (wrong opinions) in a definitive manner as though your opinion is a fact.
Those on .net who state their opinions as fact and then deride those who disagree are the posters who should piss off.
Thumbs up

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
There are two potential reasons for signing Mayfield, either for this season or for long term.
From what little I have seen Purdy could be better than Mayfield so no guarantee the 49ers will take hime but with they get the chance?
Two other teams planning for the play-offs may regard Mayfield as an upgrade, both have priority ove the 49ers so if the Commanders or Jets decide Mayfield will help them for the final push the 49ers can do nothing about it.
The Texans and Colts could decide Mayfield is their best option for 2023 though particularly with the Texans they will probably look to the draft.
The media are looking at the Rams, but the Rams are out of the play-offs so it would be mostly to stop the 9ers getting him.
Not sure why the Rams picked him up I was thinking Mayfield wasn’t getting claimed or signed it’s too late in the season to pick up a QB and be able to pick up your offense enough to make it a positive especially a QB that is as dumb as a box of rocks

No way the 9ers were going to pick him up

The Commanders are local to me and watch their games and they are good with Heinicke and the Jets players have been going around with Mike White shirts he is viewed as the man in NY he doesn’t make the stupid mistakes that Zach Wilson was doing

projectorfreak

Reaction score
Ouch , the butt hurtedness ,, uh , that's a word right
You should just own it , it's just a message board lol
Perhaps mcvay thinks there's a possibility he could get something out of him next year as there isn't enough time to do anything about team recovery this year other than treat it like a pre-season warm up for next year and he's just got to shake all the boxes and see if some presents fall out
Otherwise it's outright worthless

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Not sure why the Rams picked him up I was thinking Mayfield wasn’t getting claimed or signed it’s too late in the season to pick up a QB and be able to pick up your offense enough to make it a positive especially a QB that is as dumb as a box of rocks

No way the 9ers were going to pick him up

The Commanders are local to me and watch their games and they are good with Heinicke and the Jets players have been going around with Mike White shirts he is viewed as the man in NY he doesn’t make the stupid mistakes that Zach Wilson was doing
I'm going to predict right now that Stafford is going to retire after the season.
The Rams do not have any high picks and their cap is not good.
What better play than to get a stop gap QB until they draft one or whatever ect?
Baker will probably sign a cheap 2 yr deal just to be relevant it's not like he's
got many options at this point.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Baker will probably sign a cheap 2 yr deal just to be relevant it's not like he's
Well he could retire and sit on a $20 million pile of money from career earnings to date.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I'm going to predict right now that Stafford is going to retire after the season.
What better play than to get a stop gap QB until they draft one or whatever ect?
I agree. I think Stafford is done. Mayfield will be a Ram for a couple years unless someone else becomes available cheap.

byau

Reaction score

My guess, at the best, Baker is what they need short term or long term ... but i doubt it. He really isn't very good. One of the perks of playing Fantasy Football is following just about every player in the NFL and Baker is really not good. (I'm glad we didn't get him).

At the very worst, when the Rams release him, if someone signs him, then perhaps the Rams will then get a compensatory pick? Not sure, but if true it makes sense. And if they aren't going anywhere this season, and if they have cap room to spend money, why not "buy" a compensatory pick for 1.2 million? It's a useful way to spend some cap money towards the future if they have $ to spend.

flv2

Reaction score
I'm not thrilled about having Mayfield on the roster but Wolford isn't 1 of the top 24 back-ups and Perkins should never have been on an NFL roster. Mayfield is due $1.3M and he'll replace someone who would have earned about $300K over the remaining games. Potentially it's an upgrade for $1M with maybe a 5th or 6th round compensatory pick in 2024. However, playing with what's left of the Rams offense won't do Mayfield any favours. I'd advise him to take 3 weeks learning the playbook and then develop a dodgy hamstring.

I don't see Mayfield and the Rams agreeing to terms beyond 2022 so Mayfield will be a FA in March. If Stafford retires and the Rams need a QB i'd rather sign Garoppolo than Mayfield.

byau

Reaction score
My guess, at the best, Baker is what they need short term or long term ... but i doubt it. He really isn't very good. One of the perks of playing Fantasy Football is following just about every player in the NFL and Baker is really not good. (I'm glad we didn't get him).

At the very worst, when the Rams release him, if someone signs him, then perhaps the Rams will then get a compensatory pick? Not sure, but if true it makes sense. And if they aren't going anywhere this season, and if they have cap room to spend money, why not "buy" a compensatory pick for 1.2 million? It's a useful way to spend some cap money towards the future if they have $ to spend.
dude, think you might be wrong ...I mean did you see that game winning drive on TNF?

not sure what the heck that was ... but Respect to Baker man...