Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

Brett

Reaction score
Hey I don't give a shit as long as the guy stays healthy and can run for a 5 yard avg.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Penny was my second favorite RB. It does seem like we could have gotten him in the early second instead, but that's really only based on speculation from the outside. Really shifty open field runner who doesn't go down with contact and has great hands.

kf3339":28q58qf1 said:
And what O-Line is going to block for him?
You probably heard this in the off-season already, but Penny was #1 by a wide margin in getting yards after contact in the backfield. Probably the best RB in the draft if you're assuming our OL will suck next year.

massari

Reaction score
I wanted a CB, DL or OG early and a RB in the 3rd or 4th.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
mistaowen":3lyiw9j4 said:
Could have absolutely gotten this guy in a much later round. FFS..
You don't know that at all.. Ridiculous statement.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2v28pcdb said:
adeltaY":2v28pcdb said:
Nothing against the dude, but my automatic reaction is to be pissed.
This hotbed of negativity was always going to be pissed no matter what happened. At least we got a productive running back out of it.
The Seahawks drafting for the last four years has given fans plenty to be negative about. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but Pete and John have given us plenty a reason to be skeptical.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
vin.couve12":b1d1kvt1 said:
Some might remember me scouting backs months ago and my comp for Penny was take Percy Harvin and add 30 pounds to him. That's pretty much what you're getting.
Lol, no.

Percy Harvin had all-world speed.

This guy has quick acceleration but I wouldn't necessarily consider him that fast.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
You guys need to remember we don't have a 2nd round pick. Thats why we drafted him.

Gibbo

Reaction score
I’m pumped. Certainly wasn’t expecting it. He’s here though and he has played 54/54 games in San Diego which is massive; clearly appealed to PCJS.

I have a lot more faith in our OL this year too.

Let’s go.

Threedee

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":xlp3o7r0 said:
vin.couve12":xlp3o7r0 said:
Some might remember me scouting backs months ago and my comp for Penny was take Percy Harvin and add 30 pounds to him. That's pretty much what you're getting.
Lol, no.

This guy has quick acceleration but I wouldn't necessarily consider him that fast.

Of course, Harvin also had all-world douchebaggery.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1felle2f said:
vin.couve12":1felle2f said:
Lol, no.

Harvin ran a 4.41. He had an elite burst. Not a true burner.

Lol no....

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
He led the nation in rushing was fifth in Heisman voting 5'11 220 4.46 forty. I had him ranked right there with Jones and Guice. We all agree we needed a RB I love this pick . With Vita and Davenport off the board I think they did well.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Harvin had vision. He was a douche with a head problem, and made of glass. Penny can truck people with vision. I'll take it.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
This offense doesn't work without a running game. You couldn't rely on Carson or Procise returning to strength for the entire year,

I'm not super big on Penny, but I love the focus to get the running game back to a strength.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":32k9zire said:
KiwiHawk":32k9zire said:
adeltaY":32k9zire said:
Nothing against the dude, but my automatic reaction is to be pissed.
This hotbed of negativity was always going to be pissed no matter what happened. At least we got a productive running back out of it.
The Seahawks drafting for the last four years has given fans plenty to be negative about. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but Pete and John have given us plenty a reason to be skeptical.

I actually think we've had some good drafting in that stretch, but speaking just on RBs, I can't think of a single one PCJS drafted that was consistently good on the Seahawks.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3l76wakz said:
NFSeahawks628":3l76wakz said:
vin.couve12":3l76wakz said:
Lol, no.

Lol no....

Are you serious!?!?!??!?!?!?! Go watch his Florida tape.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I was a little surprised, but the Seahaks coulda had pretty much anyone and they took him. Great college production, ticks of most of the things we needed in an RB. I figured no one here was gonna like him, so that's a plus in my book. Penny and Carson will make a nice 1-2 punch.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3jwaegt3 said:
Ignore the whining, this is a great pick for so many reasons.

Personally, I LOVE this pick, and I'm glad they grabbed him because I highly doubt he would have been there much longer... somebody was going to take this guy because he's one of those players who's better than his NFL scout ranking.

I think he's the best RB I've seen the Seahawks draft in a very long time, perhaps only exceeded by Curt Warner and Shaun Alexander, and I think he makes at least 2 pro-bowls with this team.

Here is the THING about Penny.

When he's hit, he doesn't go down... he played behind an offensive line that was nowhere near as good as the other lines you see with the other backs being drafted.

KEY STAT:

Rating the 58 backs avaialbe by how they did when they got hit behind the line of scrimmage?

Barkley was almost dead last in this draft class -- he only averaged .46 years per carry when he was hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Penny was #1 -- he averaged 3.32 yards per carry when hit behind the line of scrimmage.

The last NFL running back to come into the draft averaging over 3 yards per carry when hit behind the LOS?

Marshawn Lynch ....

Just saying...
Interesting stat, I admit I was stunned when the pick came in. I liked Penny but I thought of him as a third rounder. Apparently Seattle did not. I'll be rooting for him to succeed. Sounds like the kind of back we need with our current offensive line.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1lqox76v said:
vin.couve12":1lqox76v said:
NFSeahawks628":1lqox76v said:
vin.couve12":1lqox76v said:
Lol, no.

Lol no....

Are you serious!?!?!??!?!?!?! Go watch his Florida tape.
Yes, I'm serious. He had an insane 0-60 to create distance between himself and defenders early, but he didn't pull away from ACTUAL NFL TALENT. College is college, which is junior league, and yeah I remember watchinig him then too,

mistaowen

Reaction score
I’ve digested it a bit and do like the pick. He has some pretty nasty second and third gears. A lot of his runs came with open field but he certainly made the first person miss more often than not. Competition may not have been as good but the stats he had are numbers you can’t overlook. Sounds like browns we’re very high on him as well likely taking him early tomorrow. Not sure what will happen in round 2 now.