Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
It was mentioend earlier, but here's a great visual on Penny vs Barkley RAC, and a great article on Penny in general.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-san-diego-state-rb-rashaad-penny-a-first-round-talent

Screen Shot 2018 03 01 at 32721 PM

Barkley is over 230-pounds and all too often runs with the express purpose of avoiding contact. 230-pound backs don’t need to fear contact the way those that barely tip the scales at over 200 do. The key stat that highlights this is that on runs when contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage last season, Barkley averaged fewer than half a yard per carry, which ranked 57th of 58 qualifying backs in this draft class. Penny by contrast averaged 3.32 yards per carry, which led the draft class.

Penny had 31 runs of 15 or more yards last season to – again – lead the draft class. He gained over 1,000 rushing yards on these explosive runs alone, almost 300 more than any other runner, and while again it’s true that this is influenced by the sheer volume of carries he had, his breakaway percentage was good enough for third in the class (54.5 percent), just behind Barkley (55.6 percent).

Jville

Reaction score
Pete and John talk about their first round pick and day one in this linked periscope press conference >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.pscp.tv/Seahawks/1lDxLaMLZDQKm[/urltargetblank]

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Not even going to comment on Penny specifically but I always find it hilarious that we have these would be experts on here to tell us we definitely could have gotten him in the 3rd or even 4th round.. Thank god we have so many awesome community members here with such amazing connections to the inside!

Hawkboi

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me about Penny is; Boise State found a way to shut him down... Check last seasons game and he gained only 53 yards on 21 carries against The Boise Defense, and had a 17 Yard Punt Return... Wasn't that impressive... Maybe he just couldn't get the wheels spinning or the Boise State Defense was just good! Still don't think Penny was the best use of a 1st Round Pick... However, still keeping the faith...

ducks41468

Reaction score
He's a great player but I'm not sure it's the best fit for us. If Solari can't fix the line, Penny won't make a difference. If he can, Carson and Davis probably could get the job done by themselves

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
ducks41468":fz0oocd2 said:
He's a great player but I'm not sure it's the best fit for us. If Solari can't fix the line, Penny won't make a difference. If he can, Carson and Davis probably could get the job done by themselves

Tell me how exactly do you define "get the job done" is that like code for average or something? Cause pretty sure there are more than 2 options of either get the job done or not get the job done.. If Penny gets us to a place where we have an explosive, multi-talented run game and offense I don't know how you could argue it''s a waste

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Maulbert":38svoajv said:
Prickso gave us a D, the lowest grade he gave any of the picks.

I'm feeling good about this.

Prisco in regards to 2012.

CBSSports' Pete Prisco gave the Seahawks a C+:

They made a questionable move at the top with Irvin, bounced back by taking Wagner, but then took Russell Wilson in the third when they just signed Matt Flynn. Why? They did some good things on the final day, but Irvin is the key.

Glad we're taking Prisco's word for it.

Seafan

Reaction score
AgentDib":3lus4a1k said:
Penny was my second favorite RB. It does seem like we could have gotten him in the early second instead, but that's really only based on speculation from the outside. Really shifty open field runner who doesn't go down with contact and has great hands.

kf3339":3lus4a1k said:
And what O-Line is going to block for him?
You probably heard this in the off-season already, but Penny was #1 by a wide margin in getting yards after contact in the backfield. Probably the best RB in the draft if you're assuming our OL will suck next year.

If the Hawks could have traded down that would have been great but rumors were he wasn't getting past Cleveland at 33. Remember Dorsey and McCloughan?

I wanted Penny too. Hoped the Hawks liked him. They did and got him. KR too. Can't complain because they picked up a high 3rd rounder and a 6th. Third through 5th is where the meat of this draft is. Who is to say the Hawks didn't get one of the best players in the entire draft already. That hasn't happened on day one for the Hawks in a long time.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Hawkboi":277c591m said:
The thing that bothers me about Penny is; Boise State found a way to shut him down... Check last seasons game and he gained only 53 yards on 21 carries against The Boise Defense, and had a 17 Yard Punt Return... Wasn't that impressive... Maybe he just couldn't get the wheels spinning or the Boise State Defense was just good! Still don't think Penny was the best use of a 1st Round Pick... However, still keeping the faith...
Seen it. In an oddity, BSU probably had 2-4 guys right on him every time he got the ball. Might sound far fetched in text, but in watching it you can see it. When he only had to beat one guy he did. It was always the 2nd or 3rd or 4th guy.

Jville

Reaction score
Hear from our newest Seahawk, RB @pennyhendrixx! #SeahawksDraft >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.pscp.tv/Seahawks/1yoKMkjAyDNJQ[/urltargetblank]

ShyCheetah

Reaction score
BamKam":2gvww2yt said:
LOL 12s gonna 12

I’m glad they had the balls to finally draft a running back high. This is the one they had the best evaluated so I’ll let it play out.

My thoughts exactly. First of all the sky is not falling chicken littles. Second we have gone cheap on the second most important cog on O for like 5 years and oh look, our O dosnt work any more. Surprise!...not really. No rb threat no play action. Looking cool in preseason and laying an egg when it counts, over it. I remember hearing that running a zone blocking system that you could plug and play any dime store rb. So with us either the systems coach or dime store rb were the problem. This off season we fixed both just in case.

Shy

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Hawkboi":3h77ugqg said:

It happens. A player isn't great every game and has an off day. Marshawn Lynch himself wasn't always some unstoppable force that was racking up 100+ yards and two TD's a game. He disappeared a few times too.

Att: 17
Yds: 43
Avg: 2.5
Lng: 14
TD: 0

The stat above was back in 2013. Pretty meh game. I'm not worried about Penny, I think he'll do fine.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":1uhf0lv4 said:
Maulbert":1uhf0lv4 said:

They made a questionable move at the top with Irvin, bounced back by taking Wagner, but then took Russell Wilson in the third when they just signed Matt Flynn. Why? They did some good things on the final day, but Irvin is the key.

That's my point. Prickso criticizing it makes me like the move. Prickso is a terrible evaluator.

tom95

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1tyb4jhz said:
AzHawker":1tyb4jhz said:
Terrible. All the talent sitting there and all the needs like corner back or offensive line I mean cmon?!
So Carson,Davis and procise are so bad we need to
waste a first round pick? Seriously.. And how the pats go
to the superbowl and still have 2 first round picks??
The Pats picked Sony Michel right after that soooooo.....
Exactly!

chris98251

Reaction score
RB's getting into a rhythm IS important, sometimes they just don't get there, match ups is an other thing, why you have multiple weapons to use.

I have to wonder if the Patriots or Cleveland made that call, Browns wanted him but Patriots grabbed a known fumbler which Belechik hates as soon as they picked again.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Maulbert":181ndi0z said:
Seahawk_Dan":181ndi0z said:
Maulbert":181ndi0z said:

That's my point. Prickso criticizing it makes me like the move. Prickso is a terrible evaluator.

Ah, I see. I wasn't sure if you were being pessimistic or not.

massari

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":18djko8k said:
Blitzer88":18djko8k said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Liz_Mathews/status/989719449614798848[/tweet]

But but we could have gotten him in the 4th round!! /s :240039:
Haven't seen anyone say he could've been had in the 4th since he was projected to go in the 2nd by most, but there will be some great RB's that'll be available in the 2nd-4th.

Latest posts